Upcoming Balance Patch

The Nerf to soul eater was completely unwarented. Necro has the worst sustain out of all other classes which is why it is focused first every single game. Just because soul eater provided excellent healing when cleaving trash mobs and ambient creatures does not mean it provides "too much survivability" in game modes that actually matter for balance.

Why is Anet balancing their game around open world PvE?

Those who are saying this change is meaningless for PvP because it didn't have the potential for that much healing against players are simply wrong. This trait makes the difference between living or dying when entering shroud at <100hp and leaving shroud with 1 stack of bleeding. It provided just enough healing to stay alive long enough to get your heal skill off after exiting shroud. It most certainly was not "too much survivability".

Check this thread out to discuss why healing in shroud is not over powered, but actually necessary for Necro gameplay:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81791/whats-wrong-with-healing-in-shroud

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Zex Anthon.8673" said:Necro has the worst sustain out of all other classes which is why it is focused first every single game."Necro has the most ridiculous op impact on any teamfight due to massive boon corruption and AoE cancer (aka condition) spam, which is why it is focused first every single game."There you go I just corrected it for you, no need to thank me :)I think the nerf was.. okay I guess.. I'd rather see a slight dmg or duration reduction on reaper shroud4 spin to win, other than that I think Reaper is actually pretty good.Guess the balance team from Anet got their statistics from 2016 since none of the PoF issues were adressed (other than soulbeast, which i really like).

Why is Anet balancing their game around open world PvE?Yea it sucks and we will never know.. coughmoneycough

man, and i had finally found a cool druid build from some barbie girl on youtube. Something that made druid actually playable, and now i see that this low tier spec is getting nerfed... what are they thinking in there. NCsoft needs to pay more attention to anet xd

@Mbelch.9028 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:the badscrapper gutted

Was scrapper gutted??? I don't see anything other than a slight shave in healing (not a shave in barrier creation) that leads me to believe that it was gutted. I think it might be
STRONGER
in a team setting after the patch.

all of its heals over time were removed. new function gyro will not hold this class up.

I'm still not convinced.... Scrapper can find a lot of means to generate heals. It has more blocks/reflects than Holosmith and has access to all the same healing if you equate exhaust healing to the barrier Scrapper generates.

Yes but holosmith has better mobility and it is much much more fun to play than scrapper :)

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:

MESMER:

• I don't think these changes will necessarily be buffs or nerfs in competitive modes, but I could be wrong. These however: Flow of Time: The alacrity per clone shattered has been increased from 1 second to 1.5 seconds & Seize the Moment: The quickness per clone shattered has been increased from 1.5 seconds to 2 seconds, are going to be pretty kitten strong in pve.

u rly dunno much bout mesmer now do u? not being able to shatter on yourself and not being able to shatter with 0 clones. also no distortion on f4 basically. that's a nail in a coffin for chronos. they made illusionary persona trait as baseline for a reason. that's how important it is to use shatters with no clones. chrono will be clunky and terrible. nothing "strong in pve" about it also.

@Dave.6819 said:

MESMER:
  • I don't think these changes will necessarily be buffs or nerfs in competitive modes, but I could be wrong. These however: Flow of Time: The alacrity per clone shattered has been increased from 1 second to 1.5 seconds & Seize the Moment: The quickness per clone shattered has been increased from 1.5 seconds to 2 seconds, are going to be pretty kitten strong in pve.

u rly dunno much bout mesmer now do u? not being able to shatter on yourself and not being able to shatter with 0 clones. also no distortion on f4 basically. that's a nail in a coffin for chronos. they made illusionary persona trait as baseline for a reason. that's how important it is to use shatters with no clones. chrono will be clunky and terrible. nothing "strong in pve" about it also.

Just adding that the reason for quickness and alacrity "buff" per clone is because there is no IP on chrono, so surprise surprise it's still the same quickness and alacrity.

Seriously if after this you can see why Trevor is clueless regarding mesmers and anti-mesmer at heart...

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

MESMER:

Just adding that the reason for quickness and alacrity "buff" per clone is because there is no IP on chrono, so surprise surprise it's still the same quickness and alacrity.

Seriously if after this you can see why Trevor is clueless regarding mesmers and anti-mesmer at heart...

yea at this point i'd say to anet.. take your quickness and alacrity back but gimme back IP. that's how important it is/was. oh and gimme back my F4+F5 too!

@Dave.6819 said:

MESMER:

Actually I was about to respond something like : why you put any class you have no clue about when he can talk only about his ranger... could just replace it with "Weird changes. I don't know enough about "X class" to see if these will be useful or not."

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:My IRL reactions while reading upcoming balance notes:

SCRAPPER:.....that will be unkillable 1v1 on a side node

this is simply not true. scrapper survivability has been completely gutted. All of the traits and utilities that made it a good bunker have been removed or reworked.

Gyro Bunker is dead and was not even meta anymore anyway.

The changes could lead to a decent support scrapper build however, perhaps with med kit and menders. we shall see. I hope so

It's funny Trevor, your list clearly shows which classes you are clueless about and which classes you play yourself (let me guess, you've played ranger before?).

Maybe in the future put some effort in and make walls of clueless text for every class as to not make it all to obvious...

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

MESMER:

Pretty much this.

Where are the full raw notes and not the player-biased recaps?

Edit: NVM, found them.

So my subjective Engi change recap:

• Rifle nerfs

1: Hip shot loses tracking power

2: Rifle back to having no backwards net shot

3: Blunderbus now one basically the only cone AoE skill that gets obstructed by LoS

• Small blowtorch buffs, being able to apply 4 burns at any range is gooder' than applying a super long 1-2 stack burn at medium range.

• Elixir X nerf, cooldown from 75s to 105s in PvP

Scrapper:

• Projected Bulwark Gyro nerfs, no numbers released on barrier gains, but being required to be around 5 allies to get the full barrier, which will still likely get ripped off you from damage transfer instantly, this is a guaranteed significant nerf to Scrapper solo survivability, and possibly still suicidal in team setting

• Adept Minor change:Pros: Multi-Function Gyro Clone no jutsu, Lightning Field, and smoother gameplay that doesn't require allied targeting.Cons: Between 30 to 75s cooldown on Function Gyro, up from 20s. This is actually a 50%+ cooldown nerf for normal supporting activities for, say, one Necromancer ally in PvP.HUGE STEALTH NERF I FORGOT ABOUT, this re-work to Function Gyro comes at the cost of an F5 skill, so no elite toolbelt anymore, and Detection pulse is removed from the game.

• Master Minor change:Noticeable buff here, instead of the previous Barrier/Superspeed/Might on successful revive/stomp, this minor will now be like having an extra trait like the old Shocking Speed - blasting and leaping fields all granting superspeed.

• Grandmaster Minor change:This is weird. All Scrappers will now have no choice but to be short 300 vitality, fair enough: 15% of STRIKE damage converted into barrier, so condi Scrapper is definitely thrown out of the window too. This trait used to give 15% more barrier from all sources and 5% damage when you had barrier, which was pretty good. This change is now making Scrappers easier to focus fire - focusing them is easier with -300 vitality and focusing them will deny damage, therefore denying barrier.

• Adept Major #1 change: "Gyroscopic Acceleration"No real change here, they just ripped half of this functionality out and added it to the Master minor as baseline. This trait now is lackluster even for a gyro focused build, which will probably still stink.

• Adept Major #2 change: "System Shocker"This trait seems bad - a .5s AoE Daze every 30-75s? It may occasionally come in clutch for the f-gyro revives. Giving 50% increased finishers from lightning fields, means you'll be really good at applying AoE swiftness. This will hardly affect Rocket Charge combo-leap daze up-time really. PEFECTLY WEIGHTED REPLACED, which means no more stability on dodge roll, or 10% hammer damage option.

• Adept Major #3 change: "Object in Motion"This trait is now just going to be the go-to in PvP, with the #1 adept trait being half baseline now, and the #2 trait being awful. It's a good trait - Function Gyros will give stability in the 180 radius when cast every 30-75s! This means if you spawn 6 function Gyros, presumably everyone shall have 6 stacks of stability for presumably 3 seconds. This is way more clutch for reviving than a .5s daze from "System Shocker". In addition, you'll get the might gain from previous 'Mass Momentum' when you have stability, meaning this trait will be an auto-pick to keep your damage high, and in turn your barrier gain. Noticeable buff here, even when compared with a great skill like Perfectly Weighted which is now gone.

• Master Major #1 change: "Damage Dampener"This is just a completely new concept, it's a trait that simply makes you harder to burst, delaying 25% of damage received by 2 seconds. Since it replaced Rapid Regeneration which was ticking on the high end of +450 healing per second with Mender's Amulet, Super Speed, and Swiftness, this is a pretty big nerf, even if it is cool.

• Master Major #3 change: "Object In Motion"This trait is respectable. 5%, 10% or 15% damage boost based on how well you can keep up your buffs. Mass momentum, the previous trait was mostly reincarnated in the adept tier, was about as good, if not better than this at dishing damage.

• Grandmaster Major #1 change: "Adaptive Armor"RIP. This trait was gutted. This trait used to supply Scrapper with 50% of their total barrier uptime, but now generates no barrier, only increasing other barrier gains by 15%. This is a huge nerf that off-sets Scrapper's new barrier source via doing damage, which was also offset by losing -300 vitality, and replacing a strong minor trait. I hope you're still following. Could still be a viable choice due to lack of other good options.

• Grandmaster Major #2 change: "Kinetic Stabilizers"Largely unchanged. Adept major #3 now has the stability on F-Gyro feature, so this trait no longer does that as it did before, instead increasing daze/stuns by 25% which is fairly meaningless.

• Grandmaster Major #3 change: "Applied Force"Buffed, now quickness gives +200 power. Definitely puts it higher priority. I think this trait is now better than Adaptive Armor, which is funny how the tables have turned. +200 power & big quickness will generate more barrier than Adaptive Armor's 15% increased barrier gain, since we create barrier by doing damage now.

SCRAPPER OVERALLWay more pushed into high damage builds which is very exciting, damage = survivability. Many previous sources of Scrapper's sustain was destroyed and somewhat rebuilt. Bulwark gyro barrier & Adaptive Armor barrier, previously 100% of Scrapper's barrier sources was removed. Rapid Regeneration which was a significant portion of Scrapper sustain was removed too. Will be much easier to focus fire and kill when it's alone, because all that was given to compensate their survival from this was allowing Scrapper to convert damage to barrier.

The best Scrapper build post-patch will be something damage focused like this, in my opinion:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhqrY5VwdLQ+FLTGF9cn3BuYzUABw4H8eRAA-jJh/gAVlBG2fQ8CAA8AAAA

Oh yeah and Scrapper will likely be trash at 1v1s and side noding, but we'll see.

Holosmith:

• Overheating nerfs, toolbelt skills now disabled while overheated. Okay.

• Laser's edge buff, dynamic damage buff that scales with Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit. Could be worth checking out, probably goes up to 22.5% multiplicative damage bonus increase when you're fully loaded heat with Enhanced Capacity Storage (149 heat). Not really much better than having the previous 15% ADDITIVE multiplier from being at 51+ heat.

HOLOSMITH OVERALLNo real changes besides more punishing to players with lower mechanical skill.

@Eurantien.4632 said:I don't know man, marksmanship is a pretty ballsy traitline... I was running it with zerker and sic em just to feel it was doing enough damage. The 15% reduction to sic em actually isn't much AND it has added move speed now... might still be worth it. I just don't expect players to be running marksmanship and dropping wilderness survival.

Dropping wilderness survival in this meta is simply not worth it. Marksmanship is literally a meme full power trait line and a major reason why this class gets complained about, because it can push out good damage, but they don't understand the flipside of your survivability trade off is 100% for even hitting higher numbers.

You are a walking target aside from necro because it's obvious if you're running opportunity buff icons on your bar, then you're most likely not running WS aka easy burst down.

This is obviously fine , for the most part there should be trade offs in survivability for higher dmg, the issue with ranger is you don't do near as much dmg as other classes consistently and one cleave from WI or maul isn't enough with res capability now no matter how many once-every-30second trait modifiers you setup beforehand (blocks, evade, invuln exist too , blocks even more now).

Also @"Trevor Boyer.6524" "AoO 25%, MoC 50%, Remorseless 25% = +100% damage modifier for a given Maul or WI. I warned everyone, been warning you for months." - This is not efficient in higher level play or against people with brains unless you're 1upping. Nevertheless, it will be complained about and requested to be nerfed heavily because unfortunately casuals will be victims to this setup and immediately clamor to the forums to cry for nerfs. So expect that coming soon. I'm sure there's already numerous threads on it anyway so lol

Casuals will always complain about rangers because in the casual's mind anything not a plate armor melee tank dishing huge dmg...is considered unfair to fight..but that's what ranger does, since the beginning of the MMO world everywhere in every MMO up to these days. Yeah prob they will nerf that combo soon or later but those nerfs have been expected for the last 3-4 years so.....

All these changes really don't mean anything, and they won't until they figure out a way to get more people into pvp so that maybe, just maybe, we can actually start getting teamed with people of comparable skill level instead of being teamed with starters that don't know any tactics except mash buttons.

@"Chaith.8256" said:Where are the full raw notes and not the player-biased recaps?

Edit: NVM, found them.

So my subjective Engi change recap:

• Rifle nerfs

1: Hip shot loses tracking power

2: Rifle back to having no backwards net shot

3: Blunderbus now one basically the only cone AoE skill that gets obstructed by LoS

• Small blowtorch buffs, being able to apply 4 burns at any range is gooder' than applying a super long 1-2 stack burn at medium range.

• Elixir X nerf, cooldown from 75s to 105s in PvP

Scrapper:

• Projected Bulwark Gyro nerfs, no numbers released on barrier gains, but being required to be around 5 allies to get the full barrier, which will still likely get ripped off you from damage transfer instantly, this is a guaranteed significant nerf to Scrapper solo survivability, and possibly still suicidal in team setting

• Adept Minor change:Pros: Multi-Function Gyro Clone no jutsu, Lightning Field, and smoother gameplay that doesn't require allied targeting.Cons: Between 30 to 75s cooldown on Function Gyro, up from 20s. This is actually a 50%+ cooldown nerf for normal supporting activities for, say, one Necromancer ally in PvP.

• Master Minor change:Noticeable buff here, instead of the previous Barrier/Superspeed/Might on successful revive/stomp, this minor will now be like having an extra trait like the old Shocking Speed - blasting and leaping fields all granting superspeed.

• Grandmaster Minor change:This is weird. All Scrappers will now have no choice but to be short 300 vitality, fair enough: 15% of STRIKE damage converted into barrier, so condi Scrapper is definitely thrown out of the window too. This trait used to give 15% more barrier from all sources and 5% damage when you had barrier, which was pretty good. This change is now making Scrappers easier to focus fire - focusing them is easier with -300 vitality and focusing them will deny damage, therefore denying barrier.

• Adept Major #1 change: "Gyroscopic Acceleration"No real change here, they just ripped half of this functionality out and added it to the Master Adept as baseline. This trait now is lackluster even for a gyro focused build, which will probably still stink.

• Adept Major #2 change: "System Shocker"This trait seems bad - a .5s AoE Daze every 30-75s? It may occasionally come in clutch for the f-gyro revives. Giving 50% increased finishers from lightning fields, means you'll be really good at applying AoE swiftness. This will hardly affect Rocket Charge combo-leap daze up-time really. PEFECTLY WEIGHTED REPLACED, which means no more stability on dodge roll, or 10% hammer damage option.

• Adept Major #3 change: "Object in Motion"This trait is now just going to be the go-to in PvP, with the #1 adept trait being half baseline now, and the #2 trait being awful. It's a good trait - Function Gyros will give stability in the 180 radius when cast every 30-75s! This means if you spawn 6 function Gyros, presumably everyone shall have 6 stacks of stability for presumably 3 seconds. This is way more clutch for reviving than a .5s daze from "System Shocker". In addition, you'll get the might gain from previous 'Mass Momentum' when you have stability, meaning this trait will be an auto-pick to keep your damage high, and in turn your barrier gain. Noticeable buff here, even when compared with a great skill like Perfectly Weighted which is now gone.

• Master Major #1 change: "Damage Dampener"This is just a completely new concept, it's a trait that simply makes you harder to burst, delaying 25% of damage received by 2 seconds. Since it replaced Rapid Regeneration which was ticking on the high end of +450 healing per second with Mender's Amulet, Super Speed, and Swiftness, this is a pretty big nerf, even if it is cool.

• Master Major #3 change: "Object In Motion"This trait is respectable. 5%, 10% or 15% damage boost based on how well you can keep up your buffs. Mass momentum, the previous trait was mostly reincarnated in the adept tier, was about as good, if not better than this at dishing damage.

• Grandmaster Major #1 change: "Adaptive Armor"RIP. This trait was gutted. This trait used to supply Scrapper with 50% of their total barrier uptime, but now generates no barrier, only increasing other barrier gains by 15%. This is a huge nerf that off-sets Scrapper's new barrier source via doing damage, which was also offset by losing -300 vitality, and replacing a strong minor trait. I hope you're still following. Could still be a viable choice due to lack of other good options.

• Grandmaster Major #2 change: "Kinetic Stabilizers"Largely unchanged. Adept major #3 now has the stability on F-Gyro feature, so this trait no longer does that as it did before, instead increasing daze/stuns by 25% which is fairly meaningless.

• Grandmaster Major #3 change: "Applied Force"Buffed, now quickness gives +200 power. Definitely puts it higher priority. I think this trait is now better than Adaptive Armor, which is funny how the tables have turned. +200 power & big quickness will generate more barrier than Adaptive Armor's 15% increased barrier gain, since we create barrier by doing damage now.

SCRAPPER OVERALLWay more pushed into high damage builds which is very exciting, damage = survivability. Many previous sources of Scrapper's sustain was destroyed and somewhat rebuilt. Bulwark gyro barrier & Adaptive Armor barrier, previously 100% of Scrapper's barrier sources was removed. Rapid Regeneration which was a significant portion of Scrapper sustain was removed too. Will be much easier to focus fire and kill when it's alone, because all that was given to compensate their survival from this was allowing Scrapper to convert damage to barrier.

The best Scrapper build post-patch will be something damage focused like this, in my opinion:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhqrY5VwdLQ+FLTGF9cn3BuYzUABw4H8eRAA-jJh/gAVlBG2fQ8CAA8AAAA

Oh yeah and Scrapper will likely be trash at 1v1s and side noding, but we'll see.

Holosmith:

• Overheating nerfs, toolbelt skills now disabled while overheated. Okay.

• Laser's edge buff, dynamic damage buff that scales with Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit. Could be worth checking out, probably goes up to 22.5% multiplicative damage bonus increase when you're fully loaded heat with Enhanced Capacity Storage (149 heat). Not really much better than having the previous 15% ADDITIVE multiplier from being at 51+ heat.

HOLOSMITH OVERALLNo real changes besides more punishing to players with lower mechanical skill.

brilliant diagnosis from someone who clearly understands their profession. nice one.

@Axl.8924 said:Whats up with the reaper heal changes? thats ridiculous

Also: I heard water is possibly go to with air for dps for ele tempest, is that true? also why? im confused about the ele changes. Tempest was already lagging behind.

Water provides significant sustain compared to air. After the patch water will also provide significant damage modifiers from the following two changes. Previously Aquamancer's Training (now flow like water) increased damage dealth while above 90% health. The threshold was changed to 75% which will be easier to maintian and thus inflict more damage. The second part is the change to Piercing Shards. This trait used to only function while in water (not a high damage attunement) at 10% increase damage, so it was minimally useful. Now, it provides the +10% damage whilst in other attunements and +20% while in water. So to conclude water eles can maintain +20% damage when above 75% hp now, up from +10% when above 90% hp.

Flow like Water: This new trait takes the slot previously occupied by Aquamancer's Training and increases damage dealt by 10% while the elementalist is above 75% health. Additionally, it heals the elementalist when they block or evade an attack. The healing effect has a 10-second cooldown.

Piercing Shards: This trait now grants half its 20% bonus damage to vulnerable foes when not attuned to water. The full bonus damage is still applied while attuned to water.

• Ancestral Grace: This skill no longer evades attacks. Increased recharge from 18 seconds to 20 seconds. If at least 1 ally other than yourself is healed, the recharge is reduced by 5 seconds. = "Ok, as the last person who even plays Druid at a plat 2 level, just why? Why nerf Druid further? This is the stupidest and most unwarranted change in this entire list of patch notes. Let me explain why: First of all, making the recharge 20s from 18, just completely screws up the synergy of weapon swapping with the staff. The staff is generally used as a defensive measure and the #3 staff skill is the largest part of that defensive measure. Being able to evade while using it, allows the Druid to do what it does, and that is survive and disengage. So quite often, when a Druid swaps to staff they are able to use #3 immediately alongside of an effect such as sigil of escape. 18s CD scales perfectly for this purpose while weapon swapping back and forth between a damage weapon side and staff escape side. Now with a 20s CD, the player can no longer immediately use staff #3 escape, which is an enormous nerf to the already Renegade level gameplay in competitive modes. Secondly, having the recharge reduced by 5s if at least 1 other ally is healed during the use of staff #3? That's ridiculous for so many reasons. The Druid is a side node mainly in spvp, which means it is usually alone, and it doesn't have realistic reason to keep teleporting to its pet for the 5s reduction either. It needs to use the #3 to stay away from things, as far away as possible. Furthermore, the 5s CD would put it to a 15s recharge, which is meaningless because it doesn't matter if it is a 15s CD or an 18s CD, because weapon swapping takes 18s anyway to rotate, and Druid's DO NOT CAMP STAFF SIDE. So this effect granted of a 5s reduction is completely useless not only in competitive modes, but also in pve, where Druids are weapon swapping as often as possible to warhorn and back to staff, meaning it will take them at least 18s to be able to use staff #3 again. This change is a completely lackluster nerf to the Druid in competitive modes and pve. Why is there no one in the Arenanet office that is capable of recognizing skill trait practicality issues like this? <- This change needs to be reverted ASAP. I seriously do not understand why Arenanet would aim at making something like Scrapper an inordinately powerful force to be reckoned with, defensively, offensively, and now even with its mobility, but then continue to nerf the batshit out of something that quite seriously has a class representation of 1 person in the top 100." <- It's these kinds of changes that make gameplay feel funky & wonky, and not smooth.
  • Upon all this ^ I'd just like to add that Druid is a class that needed significant straight flat buffing, not nerfing. The CA kit is a joke compared to FB kits. And now with Scrapper buffs, Scrapper is going to be a clear upgrade from Druid play in literally every aspect. Scrapper will have A LOT more sustain than a Druid, A LOT more damage, A LOT more CCs, waaaaaay better support, waaaay better kill securing power, it'll rotate fast as hell for disengage factor due to mass superspeed buffs, and still be able to front tons of stealth if it chooses. What are you guys doing? I mean who makes these decisions? I don't normally get enraged by patching just maybe a bit confused, but this time I'm actually pissed off about it. These changes are like Arenanet dropped a few weird suggestions into a hat that didn't make sense to begin with, shook them up, and then began drawing them out see what would randomly happen next.

Pretty much this. I want a reason to play Druid again. =(

~ Kovu