Favorite PvP Balance Blunders

bethekey.8314

When you could trait for fall damage as a Mesmer and land 50k crits on enemies by jumping on them.That was funny.

When Auras wouldnt proc any Tempest traits.. That was busted. Broke my class.

The sort of change that made me lose faith? Removing team queue from a team game.It wasnt just the change, it was how the change came about with a fake poll and fake trial. I thought Anet respected it's customers a little more than what was shown in that period of time.I still feel cheated on that one because like many others who said yes to duo queue, what was the harm in a trial for a season? I know my answer would have been very different on that poll had they clarified it wasnt a trial season.

Everything the devs have done in the past concerning pvp in the past few years. Don't know what they think when they are trying to "balance" classes. Oh wait, that's right, they have their apparent faves so they wont be touched, but will make ridiculous changes instead.

Game gets some random gem store additions and a few skill changes; suddenly players start kneeling, rolling and then literally leaving their hitboxes in spawn before walking into every PvP fight as untouchable ghosts which freely do whatever they want. Spaghetti code on levels beyond this dimension.

When chaos aura was treated as a glamour and could be traited to blind when hit alongside with a no ICD trait that applied confusion on blind. MesmerWhen spectral armor and spectral walk had no ICD on LF gain on hit. NecromancerWhen slick shoes didn't have ICD on it's CC effect. EngineerWhen spirit weapons couldn't be damaged. GuardianWhen thief's traps didn't break you out of stealth. Thief... etc.

Edit: Without forgeting the rune patch's "sanctuary runeset" fiasco.

Probably the absurdity that was Scepter 3 power damage on Mesmer, after several damage buffs in a row on that skill. The buffs on Rev Sword 5 come close aswell. Obviously after expansion releases there was a lot of disgustingly broken stuff aswell (Bunker Chrono and DH after HoT release, Scourge and Spellbreaker after PoF), but those weren't really balance patches.

Prismatic Understanding when it was was first revamp to give double stealth uptime was also quite disgusting at the time. Same goes for some turret traits when turret Engi was a thing. Oh yeah, and the Phantasm Chrono after the revamp of Illusions and Phantasm mechanic on Mes. Condi thief at some point as also beyond disgusting, but I don't remember which specific changes fueled that build. Condi Reaper at some point after a change on the trait functionality triggered an absurd number of bleeds on top of its near permanent Chill.

In addition to that there also some short-lived but crazy bugs, like Grenade Berrage piercing (resulting in double hits = oneshots on Berserker, usually coupled with stealth) or the fall trait on Mesmer hitting for 14k+ damage.

And probably a ton more I forgot about.

@Falan.1839 said:Probably the absurdity that was Scepter 3 power damage on Mesmer, after several damage buffs in a row on that skill. The buffs on Rev Sword 5 come close aswell. Obviously after expansion releases there was a lot of disgustingly broken stuff aswell (Bunker Chrono and DH after HoT release, Scourge and Spellbreaker after PoF), but those weren't really balance patches.

Prismatic Understanding when it was was first revamp to give double stealth uptime was also quite disgusting at the time. Same goes for some turret traits when turret Engi was a thing. Oh yeah, and the Phantasm Chrono after the revamp of Illusions and Phantasm mechanic on Mes. Condi thief at some point as also beyond disgusting, but I don't remember which specific changes fueled that build. Condi Reaper at some point after a change on the trait functionality triggered an absurd number of bleeds on top of its near permanent Chill.

In addition to that there also some short-lived but crazy bugs, like Grenade Berrage piercing (resulting in double hits = oneshots on Berserker, usually coupled with stealth) or the fall trait on Mesmer hitting for 14k+ damage.

And probably a ton more I forgot about.

Just got PTSD thanks to you.