Consider making Unyielding Anguish a leap finisher

meri.9187

With the introduction of Dark Aura I naturally looked toward Mallyx and Unyielding Anguish as a Dark field. Thematically, the new design of the Dark Aura fits Mallyx perfectly. However, despite having "leap" in the name, it doesn't count as a leap finisher. In fact, revenant as a class has 0 leap finishers.

I understand that the field is only technically created at the end of the leap; however, I think it'd be reasonable to rework the skill to be more like Weaver's Fire Sword 2 (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_Uprising). The skill has a 30 energy cost already and is a relatively short distance leap, mostly used to cover the ground in fights where AoEs may not be given the most attention.

Clearly, considering the design of Flame Uprising and Blinding Powder (Thief Pistol 5), we already have a precedent for skills that both create a combo field and finish in that combo field. I don't think it's unreasonable to at least take a look at Unyielding Anguish. Mallyx revenants suffer from low active defense and the Dark Aura could certainly help.

I would really love this. I believe reaper is the only build with regular self-access to dark auras, and Mallyx feels like such an appropriate candidate, especially considering it is supposed to be a condition-manipulation legend. Unyielding Anguish is a nice skill, but it does come at a steep energy cost. A leap finisher is a way of adding more interesting interactions to the skill without powercreeping it by giving it something like an evade frame; in order to generate a dark aura, the revenant would have to be dropping 60 energy, which is a huge chunk. Dark auras would see more play in Charged Mists builds as well as on core builds thanks to the upcoming Ancient Echo skill, as both of these builds will have a more steady supply of energy, but in a build such as condi Mallyx/Glint herald, it wouldn't be as common as the 60 energy would come at a much steeper cost. A more common aura we would be seeing Mallyx revenants use would be fire auras thanks to Searing Fissure, which would be a welcome change.

• 2 months later...

Gonna necro my own thread here. The absolute madmen did it. They might have completely destroyed condi renegade dps in all of it but hey at least they let us use dark aura now

Unyielding Anguish: This skill has been reworked and renamed Call to Anguish. It is now a leap finisher skill that pulls foes to the center of your landing point and chills them. This skill has an energy cost of 35 and a 5-second recharge.

Embrace the Darkness: This skill is now a mobile dark field. Increased recharge to 10 seconds. This skill no longer grants a stat increase and is no longer unblockable and unblindable. The amount of torment applied per pulse is unchanged, but using a skill that costs energy now increases the stacks of torment applied on the next pulse by 2. This skill now deals a small amount of damage each pulse.

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Gonna necro my own thread here. The absolute madmen did it. They might have completely destroyed condi renegade dps in all of it but hey at least they let us use dark aura now.

That dark field is going to be so bad--and not just for making us miss all of our awesome fire/poison/chill/confusion projectile finishers now... It's going to block everyone's finishers since you'll have nothing else to spend energy on except a boring, boring upkeep skill that will just be up 1/2 the fight all the time. The lower personal dps aside, people will probably not want to take condi renegades to raids just because of this.

@narcx.3570 said:

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Gonna necro my own thread here. The absolute madmen did it. They might have completely destroyed condi renegade dps in all of it but hey at least they let us use dark aura now.

That dark field is going to be so bad--and not just for making us miss all of our awesome fire/poison/chill/confusion projectile finishers now... It's going to block
everyone's
finishers since you'll have nothing else to spend energy on except a boring, boring upkeep skill that will just be up 1/2 the fight all the time. The lower personal dps aside, people will probably not want to take condi renegades to raids just because of this.

Excuse me sir are you trying to tell me that people WOULDN'T want to sacrifice burning/confusion/poison damage and potential might for a tiny amount of lifesteal or area blindness on a boss that is completely immune to blind? People these days, I swear

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:

That dark field is going to be so bad--and not just for making us miss all of our awesome fire/poison/chill/confusion projectile finishers now... It's going to block
everyone's
finishers since you'll have nothing else to spend energy on except a boring, boring upkeep skill that will just be up 1/2 the fight all the time. The lower personal dps aside, people will probably not want to take condi renegades to raids just because of this.

Excuse me sir are you trying to tell me that people WOULDN'T want to sacrifice burning/confusion/poison damage and potential might for a tiny amount of lifesteal or area blindness on a boss that is completely immune to blind? People these days, I swear

Sometimes the things anet does just straight confuse me... Like, this isn't nearly enough to make Mallyx good in PvP/WvW, but it's just enough to kill it in PvE outside of taking it as a fractal divinegade for the boonstrip (and actually, the pull on anguish will be kinda cool for this one thing.) Bleh.

Hopefully the actual release version has everything we want :

• Leap Finisher
  • Pulsing Torment and Chill like Unending Anguish
  • Call to Anguish AoE CC to make people sit in the field.

I'm kidding, no way Anet will give this to us.

They are 1000% gonna give us the stupidest leap ever, which does 1 baby Torment and Chill application, and make it 40 energy instead :^)