Power staff Ele/Weaver after upcoming changes

leunamsil.6742

So, with the changes that are going to happen is staff completely dead now? Some times i could make it work (for 3 times the work other dps put into their rotation) but with all the nerfs to fire trait line is staff even remotly usable in instanced PvE in relation to sword?

@leunamsil.6742 said:How will you use FA on staff? The dmg from air attunement on staff is really low, apart from fire/air 3 and Air/earth 3, at least thats my experience, maybe i'm playing it wrong

Just during conjured weapons. However, buffs on swift revenge, aeromancer training, primordial stance and even new burning rage are pretty much more than 10% damage buff that's lost on pyromancer training, just not a lot more.

It might even be better than before, but as I said, builds that spend more time in air will benefit from this a lot more, as well as condi builds.

@steki.1478 said:

@leunamsil.6742 said:How will you use FA on staff? The dmg from air attunement on staff is really low, apart from fire/air 3 and Air/earth 3, at least thats my experience, maybe i'm playing it wrong

Just during conjured weapons. However, buffs on swift revenge, aeromancer training, primordial stance and even new burning rage are pretty much more than 10% damage buff that's lost on pyromancer training, just not a lot more.

It might even be better than before, but as I said, builds that spend more time in air will benefit from this a lot more, as well as condi builds.

Hmm so i guess the rotation just got even more complex if we really want to use power staff to a decent level =/

Perhaps griving with baelfire runes is a possibility, adding more emphasis on giving burn stacks to utilize the condi buffs in relation to the power nerfs on fire trait line?

Even with the condi buffs I don’t think it will be worth running on a power staff build - but ... if I were to try any hybrid rune, it would be rune of flame legion. I’d rather stick with scholar since I think the ferocity alone would increase overall damage by more.

If a good rotation can fix this then I guess I won’t need to quit my favourite build/thing to do in the entire game, that would be nice.

Remaining skeptical about it until I get a chance to toy with it myself tho

@solemn.9608 said:Even with the condi buffs I don’t think it will be worth running on a power staff build - but ... if I were to try any hybrid rune, it would be rune of flame legion. I’d rather stick with scholar since I think the ferocity alone would increase overall damage by more.

If a good rotation can fix this then I guess I won’t need to quit my favourite build/thing to do in the entire game, that would be nice.

Remaining skeptical about it until I get a chance to toy with it myself tho

Personally i don't think a new rotation will fix it. I really love staff on elementalist but i think its time to swallow it and just play sword for better dps with an easier rotation. I think if fireball and lava font gave 1 or 2 stacks of burning it could help but for the time being i think staff just got nerfed for no reason. Lets hope snowcrows people or someone way better than me can come up with a rotation that at least will deal the same dps as before

Flame Legion might be a better choice after the patch; in case it will, then Weaver has lost a lot of burst because of the lack of Scholar's ferocity, nullifying the idea of a power build that already will get buffs to Condi at the cost of Power nerfs, which is already a burst loss. When in Air, the increased Ferocity after this patch will only be 60 from before, 240 + 180 as of before vs 150 + 150 + 180 as of 16th. You can't run Water line even though it has better modifiers now because you won't be able to spam fire skills.

Guess should wait and see, but Fire line no longer supports staff except through 150 power and reduced skills recharge.

I’ll have to try a 70% grieving 30% zerk mix with flame legion once this is out, probably with glyph of elemental power and uh ... maybe arcane for the arcane wave > burn trait? Lmao I don’t think it will be very good but I have the legendaries to try it so I will

Edit: actually .. perhaps core ele instead. Fire/air/arcane, trait for arcane wave into burn and ferocity boost, trait for critical hits burn both in fire and arcane .. yeah ... that might have a chance — but probably still garbage compared to scourge

@solemn.9608 said:I’ll have to try a 70% grieving 30% zerk mix with flame legion once this is out, probably with glyph of elemental power and uh ... maybe arcane for the arcane wave > burn trait? Lmao I don’t think it will be very good but I have the legendaries to try it so I will

Edit: actually .. perhaps core ele instead. Fire/air/arcane, trait for arcane wave into burn and ferocity boost, trait for critical hits burn both in fire and arcane .. yeah ... that might have a chance — but probably still garbage compared to scourge

You talking about instanced pve or WvW?

@leunamsil.6742 said:

@solemn.9608 said:I’ll have to try a 70% grieving 30% zerk mix with flame legion once this is out, probably with glyph of elemental power and uh ... maybe arcane for the arcane wave > burn trait? Lmao I don’t think it will be very good but I have the legendaries to try it so I will

Definitely pve, these have no usage in wvw.

@steki.1478 said:

Edit: actually .. perhaps core ele instead. Fire/air/arcane, trait for arcane wave into burn and ferocity boost, trait for critical hits burn both in fire and arcane .. yeah ... that might have a chance —� but probably still garbage compared to scourge

But scourge sees no play in pve appart from healing and sometimes a few bosses for epidemic

@leunamsil.6742 said:

But scourge sees no play in pve appart from healing and sometimes a few bosses for epidemic

Then he's brave enough to try condi build with no defensive skills/traits. Relying on burning is a terrible idea for zerging as well.

Anyway i just wanted to see if people think that power staff is dead or not. I guess we will have to wait for build testing and trying out water line and all that stuff. Its times like this that i wish that anet had a test server before shipping changes like this, so if the change is an overnerf it can be stopped before going live (and from my experience after a nerf is live anet will never take it back)

All in dmg staff for sure is getting nerfed. The less all in dmg staff builds are getting buff? Maybe we will see old water air x builds coming back but these builds are going to be about doing ok maybe less then ok dmg and some support.

Well, Power Overwhelming is no longer condi-based and it made Power Ele better because 10+ Might is easy to keep up which is 150 Power out of Fire and 300 within Fire.

They missed out mentioning Power Overwhelming's change.

I don't know how was Viper Weaver with old Power Overwhelming, but the +180 Condi damage should be either a minor buff/nerf to Condi Weaver.

@Auburner.6945 said:Well, Power Overwhelming is no longer condi-based and it made Power Ele better because 10+ Might is easy to keep up which is 150 Power out of Fire and 300 within Fire.

I don't know how was Viper Weaver with old Power Overwhelming, but the +180 Condi damage should be either a minor buff/nerf to Condi Weaver.

New viper weaver is miles better than old one because new burning rage gives slightly less condi damage (but works only in fire), but you also have access to burning on sunspot as well as cdr on fire skills (on top of other buffs received in the patch).

@leunamsil.6742 said:

@"Auburner.6945" said:

Where did you see that? If thats true i'm much more hopeful and it might even be a power staff buff

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/977739/#Comment_977739

I've been playing staff ele in WvW for five years. It comes and goes. I just ride it out.

@Jski.6180 said:Should hit hard i like to see a fire air water core staff dmg vs fire air weaver vs fire air tempest after this update.

pve: Weaver benefits the most from this change because it has biggest damage modifiers and it even got buffed.

wvw: core is still a viable alternative to weaver with both arcane and water specs. Both have less potential damage than weaver (but since it's usually rng and skill related, it's not hard to outdps weaver with core ele), but they have a lot more utility so it's very good for people who cant manage weaver attunements. Dps tempest has lower damage potential, but fire/water/temp can be a very good condi cleanser with strong spikes from meteor shower - so it's worthless if you have cleanses covered and definitely not a weaver alternative because it's not focused much on dps. Playing tempest as minstrel support is a lot better than playing it as dps.