Has Anet just proven to itself that WvW is unpopular with double event week?

well, wvw is not popular because there is no goal in it anymore. its just, from the viewpoint of pve, a place to get the mount and gift of battle.

bring in some form of intangible glory and those who love that will come. i.e. olympic gold.

on that note, the event isnt bad, if not laggy. as always le ping is the one problem that we face. its hard enough to play outnumbered, but its demoralizing if you cant even 111

@XenesisII.1540 said:Dragonbash for another week, ain't nobody got time for wvw.July 4th hangover into fly fishing weekend into european summer vacation this week.Womens world cup.Final fantasy xiv expansion, Elder scrolls online expansion.WoW classic duel tournaments the past few days.DrDisrespect returning to stream today.Steam sales ending tomorrow, people need time for last minute shopping.Warframe tennocon over the weekend.Weather too hot to turn on computer.Week long event with surprise mechanics of fast cooldown core skills, for some reason some people don't like this and not playing!

I think that covers all the big important legit reasons why this event is not as successful as past ones. It should be obvious wvw does not have any sustaining power left and should continue to be ignored in the future!

I was going to laugh, but you got me with one of those. It's winter here, July 4th means nothing, I don't know who that streamer is or play any of those games... except for ESO. Elsweyr has indeed kept me largely absent from GW2.

Ah well. This event sounded somewhat interesting, but after figuring out what the swap skills were I think two hours might be my total in WvW this week. To be fair, that's two hours more than last week.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I think @XenesisII.1540 (and @"Burnfall.9573" gets credit, too) outlined all sorts of reasons why people might not have turned out in droves for this one.

I don't think it's safe to make any sort of long-term assessment based on a single week.

Sadly that doesn't mean they will come to such conclusions. Look at way bigger companies like Warner. "Justice League was a flop. We're not gonna do this shared universe stuff, it doesn't work."Obviously the shared universe was the problem, not the quality of the movie. Right?

@SexyMofo.8923 said:WvW is so boring, it’s not even in the competition for anything. It just dead.

WvW. The only dead game mode, where 50-man zergs can steamroll over your own zerg across all maps.

@nthmetal.9652 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I think @XenesisII.1540 (and @"Burnfall.9573" gets credit, too) outlined all sorts of reasons why people might not have turned out in droves for this one.

I don't think it's safe to make any sort of long-term assessment based on a single week.

Sadly that doesn't mean they will come to such conclusions. Look at way bigger companies like Warner. "Justice League was a flop. We're not gonna do this shared universe stuff, it doesn't work."
Obviously
the shared universe was the problem, not the quality of the movie. Right?

@SexyMofo.8923 said:WvW is so boring, it’s not even in the competition for anything. It just dead.

WvW. The only dead game mode, where 50-man zergs can steamroll over your own zerg across all maps.

Lol, this actually made me chuckle. Definitely not dead, but we havent seen the numbers or the quality of play that we know it can achieve. The game mode is brilliant, if not for all the sabotage for which both Devs and players need to take responsability.

@displayname.8315 said:

@nthmetal.9652 said:WvW. The only dead game mode, where 50-man zergs can steamroll over your own zerg across all maps.

What server has 200 people covering all 4 maps? If they are lucky to get 40-50 they could hop around and steamroll all the dead maps.. dosent make it a lively game..

I'll make a video for you next time we face Baruch Bay.

@displayname.8315 said:

@nthmetal.9652 said:WvW. The only dead game mode, where 50-man zergs can steamroll over your own zerg across all maps.

What server has 200 people covering all 4 maps? If they are lucky to get 40-50 they could hop around and steamroll all the dead maps.. dosent make it a lively game..

the only time we had this in years was the Warclaw, and people actually train edge of mist

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:Ok, long story short, whenever there was a WvW event on, maps are pretty full, because it has always been a great opportunity to gain that extra WvW ranks and reward tracksbut this time, Anet dropped WvW event during a PvE event, but the WvW maps are still pretty empty

which begs the question, did the management purposefully decided to do this to see how the player community reacts?

will this justify to the management team that us as players, we find WvW to be extremely unrewarding ???If we can get over 40+ Dragon Coffers easily for just ~30 min a day in PvE, why would people go to WvW spending 4h 20m on 33 Dragon Coffers ?!

It takes what, 20 minutes to do all the Dragon Bash events on a daily basis? I'd hardly say that is pulling people away from WvW..well, for longer than 20minutes a day.

I also wouldn't agree that the servers are empty, at least not from what I've seen, but there certainly isn't the same level of participation I've seen over past events. During the 1st No Downed State event and the Warclaw launch, it was commonplace to see queues, some times on all maps, even outside prime time hours. I didn't see that with the last No Downed State event, nor with the current one.

One can conclude that less players are participating, but we cannot conclude as to why, at least not with available data.

Are they being pulled away by PvE events?Do they dislike/uninterested by the Core Swap portion of the event?Are they actually going outside during the Summer to experience Real Life?Have players already quit the game mode?

The Bitterati who post here will obviously jump to the latter conclusion, and wave it like a banner over the game they no longer / infrequently play, yet post about incessantly; but as only ANET has access to player statistics, only they can say for sure.

I'll say this much, I always wondered if it was the "event" that drew in players, or the "double XP et al". I think most players find this core swap thing a wash, but the double XP still exists, yet we see less interest. Can't form a conclusion as I said, but it is interesting.

Your last question though is odd. Why is it an "if/or" question? Why would WvW players work to finish a reward track when they could just to go Hoelbrok and get the coffers in PvE? Anyone who is that much of a WvW purist, and not even willing to port to a CAPITOL city has some issues to resolve.

I did not say it's empty, what I'm saying is the current WvW did not draw that extra amount of players I was hoping for

in the past whenever there's a WvW bonus week, upon reset I would often see 2-3 maps have queues, but this time around there was basically no queueobviously, this very much depends on perspective depending on what server you are on; but if you are a someone who wants to try out WvW, but barely see anyone, would you want to do a dead game mode?hence it's critical for Anet to get Alliance done RIGHT, and FAST if they do not want to see the WvW population continues to decline

@hunkamania.7561 said:the game is dead might be a reason. No proper content for years except these bad events. only good one was no downstate

I would not say the game, just the game mode looks to be in the Emergency Room, but Dr Anet is too distracted to look at him

Yes, there are the hardcore WvW who enjoy the game mode, especially those doing roaming (... wait a sec, the heck roaming gotta do with World vs World? that's just Player vs Player); but they are not going to be on all the time, so there's a need for new players

the World Boss week and Meta week has pretty much had proven that what attracts most players to do a content are the rewards; how many years has it been there's a constant round the clock overflow for world boss maps? except for Tequatl, because it hands out 4 dragon chests, 3 chests if repeated

another example is night bosses at VB, most players would just kill Matriarch and leave, 5min you get 2G worth of goodies

@nthmetal.9652 said:

I'll make a video for you next time we face Baruch Bay.

I don't think they queue even 2 maps at their prime time - you might be seeing just a very mobile omniblob. If you get a chance and are lucky to find someone from BB streaming you should be able to get an idea how populated they are on their prime time and how empty they are in other timezones. I used to have the same view as you about them, but I went to check it out myself and I was wrong.

Not sure why the OP considers this an issue. Dragon Coffers are utter rubbish for loot. How can these "surprise mechanics" motivate people to do the event? Why in the heck do Anet think it is okay to add worthless vendor trash to random loot boxes? Answer: The people who have already forgotten about the original World Boss event and the backlash from the horrible loot boxes that had to be updated in order to be acceptable to the community.

@"Adzekul.3104" said:Not sure why the OP considers this an issue. Dragon Coffers are utter rubbish for loot. How can these "surprise mechanics" motivate people to do the event? Why in the heck do Anet think it is okay to add worthless vendor trash to random loot boxes? Answer: The people who have already forgotten about the original World Boss event and the backlash from the horrible loot boxes that had to be updated in order to be acceptable to the community.They are worth a metric ton of gold apparently. One early morning I got into the middle of a holo stampede by accident and after maybe... 10-15m or so I could sell the bags for like 4g. Of course, like the idiot I was I opened then because I've not even touched the event otherwise. Got like... 10s worth of loot or something.

PvErs are probably getting 50-100g a day on this.

@"crepuscular.9047" said:Has Anet just proven to itself that WvW is unpopular with double event week?

Interesting perspective :+1:

WvW has proven itself unpopular because of WvW being current WvW. Here be some reasons why... https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/73195/what-are-your-top-5-problems-with-wvw/p1

I wish I could blame the event's and IRL happenings for WvW's unpopularity if it makes anyone feel better ?‍♂️

@"Adzekul.3104" said:Not sure why the OP considers this an issue. Dragon Coffers are utter rubbish for loot. How can these "surprise mechanics" motivate people to do the event? Why in the heck do Anet think it is okay to add worthless vendor trash to random loot boxes? Answer: The people who have already forgotten about the original World Boss event and the backlash from the horrible loot boxes that had to be updated in order to be acceptable to the community.

guess someone was TL;DR, as I said above, why I use the Dragon Bash reward track as a comparison is to have an Apple to Apple comparison.

There are more people doing Dragon Bash contents than WvW despite you can earn the same type of reward; even with full boosters on, it will take more time yet less of the same reward

why am I constantly bring in reward as a factor in rather than fun? because of previous PvE events that ran

look at how abandoned world bosses were for years... but during WB Rush week, there were WB Trains around the clock and constant map overflowswhy that is the case? the bonus loot; i do not know whether the event managed to attract dormant players to return (despite the loots arent that good)a large portion of the player base plays a content for the accessibility rewards

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:Has Anet just proven to itself that WvW is unpopular with double event week?

Interesting perspective :+1:

WvW has proven itself unpopular because of WvW being current WvW. Here be some reasons why...

I wish I could blame the event's and IRL happenings for WvW's unpopularity if it makes anyone feel better ?‍
♂️

yeah, i threw in my 2 cents too... the general consense is pretty much terrible balance (devs arent willing to shake up the meta), majority of players that tried out the game mode does not feel rewarded enough to stay

I would also vote that the event itself is very lackluster. No down state greatly effects the way the game mode plays (and I personally love it). This event was largely ignored because the swap effectively made most meta builds weaker outside of the Holosmith bug. The ktrain was definitely choo-choo in T2 at least until FA decided they didn't want to be in T1 and essentially stopped ktraining the last part of the week.