Globalisation and the ease of travel

I see posts springing up here and there that WvW is dead. This is not exactly true.

NA Prime time generally sees high and relatively equal amounts of activities across all Tiers especially during reset and weekends.

The main issue is activity before and after NA prime time. The off hours.

Activity during off hours varies quite a bit from server to server, and tier to tier. Which is the coverage issue that many have spoken of.

I am an advocate for using the transfer option to move to a link of your choice every 2 months after relink if you find that your new linked server has little activity during the time zone that you play on the most.

Some have said this worsens the bandwagon effect.But as others have replied, we are transferring to look for fights and activity during our time zone.

At this stage, it is better to transfer than remain stagnant in a newly linked server for 2 months with little activity during your time zone. Lack of activity tends to kill off your interest in the mode and is likely what prompts folks to say the mode is dead.

Spend 150 gold every 2 months and enjoy decent activity for 2 months.

It is better to transfer to an active but weaker server during your time zone so you can help fight against other stronger servers.

WvW can be liken to the real world. Globalisation has made traveling around the globe easy. People migrate from place to place seeking better lives. We should too in WvW.

This is why they should simply eliminate the bottom 2 tiers. I know people will say "but they will lose money on gem purchases to transfer". I highly doubt WvW'ers even pull out the credit card anymore to buy gems to transfer; but rather swap gold for gems instead. Many of these guilds are completely oozing with gold and their guild gold alone can move an entire guild without even really causing a dent in their funds.

Maybe if Anet actually eliminated the bottom 6 servers and their links it'd actually free up resources and maybe we wouldn't have as much lag.

@spectrito.8513 said:Idk, i think WvW should be like it was design DAoC only 3 servers would be easier to balance, just make more maps.Fun 24/7

I never played DAoC, but isn't that essentially EoTM? 3 sides with more instances created to accommodate extra players. Or do you mean something like a 3 way faction system with many static maps?

People that like to use DAoC as a "I wish" likely don't remember DAoC RvR very well. Players often ran 15 minutes only to get stun locked and killed by a small gank squad. The meta builds were insanely powerful compared to GW2. Gear creep was a very real thing unlike GW2 as players basically had no chance to compete with fully leveled artifacts and such.

It was a fun game for its time but it was also a very harsh game. Far too harsh for the current carebear crowd that lose their mind over a thief ganking them once causing them an extra 60s of run time.

There are lessons to be learned from RvR still but WvW is a vastly superior system even with all its flaws.