Are true Flying mounts ever gonna come out in Gw2??

Seriously if there is one thing that is lacking in Gw2 it would be the ability to truly explore freely and the ability to fast travel while seeing the beautiful environments that the developers have created. We have Gliding mounts but I feel like Instead of having to use portals to fast travel, that adding flying mounts would add so much more to the game, in terms of replayability and gameplay wise.

pic9-guild-wars-2.jpg

Most likely not, because that would immediately invalidate all other mounts. Why use a raptor to jump across long distances? Just fly over it. Why use a skimmer to go over water? Just fly over it. Why use a springer to jump high? Just fly up to it. Why use a griffon or skyscale at all? Just fly. The only mount that would still be slightly relevant is the rollerbeetle because of its insanely fast speed...but even then you have to carefully navigate around obstacles in the terrain - so you may as well just fly and avoid all the hassle.

And then there's the fact that true free exploration would still be impossible - you'd be boxed in by the confines of the map. As expansive as those maps are, you'd eventually run into invisible walls, or unexpected loading screens for crossing map boundaries into the next map. It'd limit exploration quite a bit.

Nope. As the above said, it would invalidate other mounts. Not only that but tons of areas that are not reachable currently would be and that would involve more work from ArenaNet to ensure that they are blocked off.

The current mount system is okay. However I am thinking that after Skyscale I want it to stop because it is bordering on too many.

@Holgarf.6581 said:Nope. As the above said, it would invalidate other mounts. Not only that but tons of areas that are not reachable currently would be and that would involve more work from ArenaNet to ensure that they are blocked off.

The current mount system is okay. However I am thinking that after Skyscale I want it to stop because it is bordering on too many.

If they can make the mount so that it doesn't interfere with the others, I think they should, but let's face it. I can only see underwater mounts being a thing at this point. You can hot key the mounts you think are viable to you. I took the Warclaw off my keybinds once I got my Skyscale. Roller Beetle and Warclaw are too niche for my purposes.

@Batel.9206 said:Most likely not, because that would immediately invalidate all other mounts. Why use a raptor to jump across long distances? Just fly over it. Why use a skimmer to go over water? Just fly over it. Why use a springer to jump high? Just fly up to it. Why use a griffon or skyscale at all? Just fly. The only mount that would still be slightly relevant is the rollerbeetle because of its insanely fast speed...but even then you have to carefully navigate around obstacles in the terrain - so you may as well just fly and avoid all the hassle.

And then there's the fact that true free exploration would still be impossible - you'd be boxed in by the confines of the map. As expansive as those maps are, you'd eventually run into invisible walls, or unexpected loading screens for crossing map boundaries into the next map. It'd limit exploration quite a bit.

Well some people do traverse on land with their skimmer or even the bunny because they simply like the mount better. I go around on the skyscale even though the griffon is faster. If a true flying mount was butt ugly, I probably wouldn't use it on the regular.

@Zeivu.3615 said:

@"Holgarf.6581" said:Nope. As the above said, it would invalidate other mounts. Not only that but tons of areas that are not reachable currently would be and that would involve more work from ArenaNet to ensure that they are blocked off.

If they can make the mount so that it doesn't interfere with the others, I think they should, but let's face it. I can only see underwater mounts being a thing at this point. You can hot key the mounts you think are viable to you. I took the Warclaw off my keybinds once I got my Skyscale. Roller Beetle and Warclaw are too niche for my purposes.

This wouldn't be a problem if skin unlocks unlock mounts you don't have or use. I remember I didn't want the Griffon until I unlocked a Exalted Sky Sentry skin from the mount adoption license even though I didn't have the Griffon unlocked. It's that kind of bull that puts me off buying skins. I know Skyscale is different, but still, that was a dodgy move from AN. I'd be all for an underwater mount, but only an underwater one as that is the only thing that is needed now. There comes a point where you have to draw a line. It seems to me that people get all giddy when there is mention of a mount but really it shouldn't be about "well if there is 30 mounts, pick 9 to bind to your num pad".... that's just silly. We already have 8. How can that not be enough for people? I get that people enjoy novelty but there are other aspects in the game for people to enjoy.

@Holgarf.6581 said:Nope. As the above said, it would invalidate other mounts. Not only that but tons of areas that are not reachable currently would be and that would involve more work from ArenaNet to ensure that they are blocked off.

Not really. We just need to make sure new mounts do something different. For example we have no underwater mounts and for some professions that means looong swims if they're doing some deep diving where skimmer is not an optional solution.

@starhunter.6015 said:we do have flying mounts two of them, what you want is a anti gravity mount. Oh wait we got one that hovers non stop the Skimmer.

You just want a high altitude zero gravity mount that defies all laws of Tyrian physics .

we have two anti gravity mounts if you count the skyscale being able to hover in place nonstop(not sure if it can mantain the same altitude as it flys, forever.)!

@Dante.1763 said:

@starhunter.6015 said:we do have flying mounts two of them, what you want is a anti gravity mount. Oh wait we got one that hovers non stop the Skimmer.

You just want a high altitude zero gravity mount that defies all laws of Tyrian physics .

we have two anti gravity mounts if you count the skyscale being able to hover in place nonstop(not sure if it can mantain the same altitude as it flys, forever.)!

True but the skyscale does lose altitude if it goes to high, it will begin to descend. (One should not forum when half asleep lol)

@starhunter.6015 said:

True but the skyscale does lose altitude if it goes to high, it will begin to ascend.

Saddly yes :(

But it makes sense as well.

@starhunter.6015 said:

True but the skyscale does lose altitude if it goes to high, it will begin to ascend.

You may mean, descend rather than ascend. ;)

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You may mean,
descend
rather than ascend. ;)

If it did, OP wouldn't be here now. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Guild Wars 2 is a Great game. I have been playing the game for almost 15 years, since Guild Wars one. A flying mount can be added to the game in a safe way, just put restriction on this particular mount. One could be that you have to have all the other mounts before you can begin your quest for the flying mount. 2 could be you have to have played the game for a certain amount of hours. 3 could be map completion by at least one character. Putting limitation on the flying mount like no fly zone is fine, but at least you give those that have played for a while the option to get a Flying mount.

@"mikhail.3506" said:Seriously if there is one thing that is lacking in Gw2 it would be the ability to truly explore freely and the ability to fast travel while seeing the beautiful environments that the developers have created. We have Gliding mounts but I feel like Instead of having to use portals to fast travel, that adding flying mounts would add so much more to the game, in terms of replayability and gameplay wise.

pic9-guild-wars-2.jpg

I completely agree!!!!!!!!

Theres completely no need for true flying. You could then bypass practically all content. With the limitations on the current mounts, you dont get to avoid everything and thusly making it more dependent on player skill to get the most out of them.

And furthermore, free flying would invalidate most mounts, which Anet doesnt want to. Whats the point of the skimmer if you could fly freely above water? So no, it will never happen.

Worth mentioning though with regards to invalidating mounts.

Springer has a lower top height than the skyscale and was invalidated.Raptor was invalidated by Beatle for speed, and Griffon, and skyscale for jumping distance.The Wolf thing that I'm having trouble remembering the name of is pointless as it's slow, it's teleport offers nothing skyscale and Griffon don't already provide, and is only useful for a few choice portals in pof and forgotten shortly afterwards.Warclaw is pve pointless from the start.

So adding a flying Mount that invalidates skyscale and Griffon isn't really that big of a deal. Instead of having 4 useful mounts (skyscale, griffon, skimmer, beatle) you'll have 3 (flying Mount, beatle, skimmer {for getting out of water when you fall in})

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:The devs have flat out said No...it's not gonna happen. As it was explained, they know that this would cause the players to simply fly over all the areas, tasks, etc., as well as nullifying all the other mounts. And they don't want that to happen.

As much as I love my skyscale. . this. I already do this. If an enemy isn't adjacent to some goal/node I'm chasing, I most likely don't interact with it. Having WoW-style mounts would ruin things.