Ranger longbow should be reworked

Sznurek.8791

I think it's pretty clear now that Anet can't balance longbow with its current skillset. I think core of the problem is that the weapon is in some way "too easy".When longbow is properly balanced(damage wise) it's very easy to play and easily beats novice or casual players with its #2 skill. Because of this, it's a popular choice for not experienced players which often can't use #4 skill properly(and make some people nervous about it).So even when longbow is balanced(damage wise) it often feels like an unbalanced weapon for many players, because suddenly a lot of mediocre players play on higher level than usually.Longbow never was a good weapon in raids and fractals. Longbow wasn't in PvP meta builds. The only high level play where it was used was WvW roaming(and even then some people can argue that roaming isn't high level play) so I don't think that calling this weapon OP is reasonable.Currently this weapon in my opinion is not really useful in most of game modes and when it gets to be good(not even meta) it needs a nerf because players complain that #2 is too easy to use while having too big impact on the game. And they are right because there isn't really much of a learning curve with longbow skillset.I don't have specific ideas how the skills should be reworked but I think some discussion about this could be useful for devs.

Longbow OP?

That's funny, having played this game since beta all i've ever heard is how trash and underpowered LB is XD

The damage problem with LB comes from other things, Sic Em and unblockable attacks mostly, something fixed in this upcoming patch thankfully.LB skills alone are nothing special and widley regarded as underwhelming and underpowered.

Personally i've always liked the weapon, I like it's skills and I like it's playstyle, more so since Hunter's shot gives stealth.I'm loking forward to the upcoming balance patch, specially the damage and knockback scaling.I'm hoping that a max range point blank shot will function more like a knockdown than a knockback which will for more experienced Rangers solve the annoying problem of not being able to use the skill effectively on normal mobs in group play.Being able to knock down and interupt a whole group of enemies in a dungeon or fractal will be pretty awesome if that's how the skill will function at max range.

@anduriell.6280 said:You could focus your efforts better on the shortbow which doesnt have damage, nor range or utility. Lets begin with that one.Shortbow is great in raids, it's good in fractals(would be great but generally power > condi in fractals). It's not great in PvP and WvW though so I partially agree.But I still think LB is generally worse than shortbow. I would also argue that currently shortbow is better in PvE than Longbow(but that doesn't really matter).

@Sznurek.8791 said:

@anduriell.6280 said:You could focus your efforts better on the shortbow which doesnt have damage, nor range or utility. Lets begin with that one.Shortbow is great in raids, it's good in fractals(would be great but generally power > condi in fractals). It's not great in PvP and WvW though so I partially agree.But I still think LB is generally worse than shortbow. I would also argue that currently shortbow is better in PvE than Longbow(but that doesn't really matter).

Longbow is the only remaining reason I still use a ranger, I am not a pver at all and not everybody interested in raids/fractal

Only thing I want reworked is the skill 5 so it is a channel skill you can use on the move. With a slightly shorter animation.So you pull the arrow once, charge it and shoot it ad an area and you get the full cast. You can still be countered through interrupts but atleast you can move. When you walk out if range during cast it is canceled.That and giving hunters shot 2 charges would be the things I want to have on LB. Rest is good IMO.

@Sznurek.8791 said:

For open PvE longbow is world better than SB. More power dmg, good burst, longer range, more accessible CC and an AoE.SB is just good in raids and fractals with a pure glass condi build and only there it really shines.

Shortbow needs way more lobe than LB and other weapons like MH sword (inconsistent AA, and clunky AF leaps), axe MH (were is that unsplit), torch (no utility at all), daggers (just straight up worst weapons on ranger, one has no utility and the other absolutely no use).Go for them first before touching a weapon only non rangers complain about.Its dmg in group content is lackluster but that's it. It shines everywhere else.

Longbow remains a solid pick for open world survivability and pvp utility. With Tuesday's nerfs to Sic 'Em and Unstoppable Union, it's not as powerful a pvp burst weapon but it certainly has its uses. Really between all different game modes and builds a ranger can get plenty of use out of every single weapon we get (with the exception of offhand dagger).

• 2 weeks later...

Longbow is fine.

The problem was the insane damage boost from Sicem and unblockable stacking.

What I want reworked would be Sword tbh, because it is a highly evasive weapon (which is great btw) but as such the damage portions of S2 and S3 are just too clunky to land and not used in anyway.

Like make S2 do a leap to the enemy and an evasive retreat after would be kinda nice.

S3 could be made into a parry skill instead of an awkward spin.

A popular choice for unskilled players who join WvW and only use nr 2. Most of them would never have the skills to play the profession if LB was nerfed really hard and they had to use other weapons for dmg.

Personally I would like to see a 50% dmg nerf on LB nr 2. As of now the class has both high mobility, insande dmg burst and almost no risk at all when playing in a group. Just stay back and pewpew away. The other way would be to add some risk to the dmg, like heavily reduced range, lets say 500 or so.

@Magnuzone.8395 said:A popular choice for unskilled players who join WvW and only use nr 2. Most of them would never have the skills to play the profession if LB was nerfed really hard and they had to use other weapons for dmg.

Personally I would like to see a 50% dmg nerf on LB nr 2. As of now the class has both high mobility, insande dmg burst and almost no risk at all when playing in a group. Just stay back and pewpew away. The other way would be to add some risk to the dmg, like heavily reduced range, lets say 500 or so.

Ranger is bad enough in wvw, why would you nerf it further? I could get the longbow hate if it was still always unblockable, but since the unstoppable union nerf it’s not unless you blow a utility slot on the unblockable signet. Also, “high mobility, insane damage burst, and almost no risk when playing in a group. Just sit back and pew pew away” is far more applicable to hammer rev in wvw, and that class is actually wanted in squads unlike ranger.

@Doto.6357 said:

@Magnuzone.8395 said:A popular choice for unskilled players who join WvW and only use nr 2. Most of them would never have the skills to play the profession if LB was nerfed really hard and they had to use other weapons for dmg.

Ranger is bad enough in wvw, why would you nerf it further? I could get the longbow hate if it was still always unblockable, but since the unstoppable union nerf it’s not unless you blow a utility slot on the unblockable signet. Also, “high mobility, insane damage burst, and almost no risk when playing in a group. Just sit back and pew pew away” is far more applicable to hammer rev in wvw, and that class is actually wanted in squads unlike ranger.

I haven't played ranger in WvW for some 2 years really (don't enjoy the class really tbh) so I tried it today again for lols and logged in to almost my never played SB. It's just insane even when you don't even remember skills. Updated build and omg.

Everything hits for 10K+. I got invuln like a Warrior and, the evades of a mesmer and on top of that the invisibility of a thief. And now I havent even began to use my greatsword, that adds more mobility and, guess what, hits like a truck with some cc and blocks on top of that.

@Magnuzone.8395 said:

I haven't played ranger in WvW for some 2 years really (don't enjoy the class really tbh) so I tried it today again for lols and logged in to almost my never played SB. It's just insane even when you don't even remember skills. Updated build and omg.

Everything hits for 10K+. I got invuln like a Warrior and, the evades of a mesmer and on top of that the invisibility of a thief. And now I havent even began to use my greatsword, that adds more mobility and, guess what, hits like a truck with some cc and blocks on top of that.

For sure dude that’s why wvw is entirely made up of ranger players and nothing else. You figured it out!