Not a Real Game

Anyone get the feeling they’re not playing a “real” game? Look at the gem store. The rifle skins, for example, make your toon look like a character in a shooter — it’s like a preview of a shooter game — but you can’t play like it. It feels like this is not a real game but a preview of real games. It’s like ordering a picture of a pizza. You get to look at the pizza, but you can’t eat it.

It feels like a free alternative to real MMOs. This feeling is stronger now that a Living World season is going to compensate for the lack of content usually delivered by an expansion. “Real” MMOs are getting expansion. We are getting silence.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a pretty real game to me. I log in, I do story unique to this game, I do other content in generel.I mean Candy Crush is a real game... you can debate if it is a good game, enjoyable game, unique game, the quality overall. But its definitely real.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Anyone get the feeling they’re not playing a “real” game?I stopped worrying about whether the game met my expectations of reality long before I noticed that the same in-game plant can drop Vanilla and Garlic, depending on luck.

Either you accept the conventions of the in-game universe as presented to us. Or you can go nuts trying to reconcile them.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

@"NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935" said:Does the first paragraph of OP's post not make any sense to anybody else, or is it just me?

No, it's not just you. OP post makes no sense. All i understood is the he/she is unsatisfied about something, but i don't know what. I think it has something to do with wanting a new expansion, but i'm not sure.

I think it's the usual "all my favourite skins are in the gem store, therefore this game is entirely about spending cash and not playing and therefore pointless" post. To which the only answer is that skins are very much dependant on personal tastes and it would be impossible for Anet to provide everyone's favourite skins by their personal favourite method of acquisition, so you pick the best you can get from the options available, maybe with some workarounds like farming gold to buy gems and considering that your way of earning the skin.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Anyone get the feeling they’re not playing a “real” game? Look at the gem store. The rifle skins, for example, make your toon look like a character in a shooter — it’s like a preview of a shooter game — but you can’t play like it. It feels like this is not a real game but a preview of real games. It’s like ordering a picture of a pizza. You get to look at the pizza, but you can’t eat it.

That's a pretty 'thin' reason to feel like you aren't playing a real game. There are dozens of skins for each weapon ... you are saying you can't find a SINGLE one that doens't make you look like a shooter character? Not even sure what that means.

It feels like a free alternative to real MMOs. This feeling is stronger now that a Living World season is going to compensate for the lack of content usually delivered by an expansion. “Real” MMOs are getting expansion. We are getting silence.

If there are 'real' MMO's out there that you feel are better, go play them. Anet actually doesn't mind you doing that because this game doesn't have a sub; it's designed so you can go, play 'real' MMO's and decide what game company to patronize. When the new content comes, you can come back. Not really a reason to make a thinly veiled complaint thread about it.

@"Mortifera.6138" said:Anyone get the feeling they’re not playing a “real” game? Look at the gem store. The rifle skins, for example, make your toon look like a character in a shooter — it’s like a preview of a shooter game — but you can’t play like it.

First of all, there is a 1st person perspective that you have in ego shooters. It's called action cam. Second, "not a real game"? I'm confused. The term "real" doesn't make sense to me, since playing the game doesn't feel like a dream but like me sitting in front of a computer screen using a real keyboard and mouse for input to actually play the game.

I still don't even understand why an expansion is necessary for anything. And yes, I do play one of the other games that recently got a new one, FFXIV. But honestly it's just a thing with more story all at once where they add some new superficial crap like playable races which many people dont care about and won't play, throw in new classes that people will complain about, and change old classes...That people will complain about. I finished the Shadowbringers story then sat there wondering wtf to do cause after that, all that's left is the same sort of stuff GW2 has. Except GW2 open world actually exists and there is more to do imo.I see people shouting we need more especs while others claim we don't cause they can't balance the ones we have. We've gotten expansion-like content in LS, such as mounts. They still implement new QoL updates and regularly add things to the gems store. You don't need an expansion.

@Ototo.3214 said:I still don't even understand why an expansion is necessary for anything.

Simply because that’s what other games do to be honest. There’s really not much of a difference between an expansion and a living story season. Any “traditional expansion” features could easily be incorporated into LS releases and Anet has indicated plans of doing such.

@"Mortifera.6138" said:The rifle skins, for example, make your toon look like a character in a shooter — it’s like a preview of a shooter game — but you can’t play like it.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Action_Camera_Mode - Action Camera Mode is a separate camera mode introduced in Heart of Thorns which adds a first/third person shooter-like element to the default camera view.

Just sayin.

@"Ototo.3214" said:I still don't even understand why an expansion is necessary for anything. And yes, I do play one of the other games that recently got a new one, FFXIV. But honestly it's just a thing with more story all at once where they add some new superficial kitten like playable races which many people dont care about and won't play, throw in new classes that people will complain about, and change old classes...That people will complain about. I finished the Shadowbringers story then sat there wondering kitten to do cause after that, all that's left is the same sort of stuff GW2 has. Except GW2 open world actually exists and there is more to do imo.I see people shouting we need more especs while others claim we don't cause they can't balance the ones we have. We've gotten expansion-like content in LS, such as mounts. They still implement new QoL updates and regularly add things to the gems store. You don't need an expansion.

You don't need expansions. Don't speak for everyone else. What you don't "need" others yearn for for a reason. Look at my signature...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Ototo.3214" said:I still don't even understand why an expansion is necessary for anything. And yes, I do play one of the other games that recently got a new one, FFXIV. But honestly it's just a thing with more story all at once where they add some new superficial kitten like playable races which many people dont care about and won't play, throw in new classes that people will complain about, and change old classes...That people will complain about. I finished the Shadowbringers story then sat there wondering kitten to do cause after that, all that's left is the same sort of stuff GW2 has. Except GW2 open world actually exists and there is more to do imo.I see people shouting we need more especs while others claim we don't cause they can't balance the ones we have. We've gotten expansion-like content in LS, such as mounts. They still implement new QoL updates and regularly add things to the gems store. You don't
need
an expansion.

You
don't need expansions. Don't speak for everyone else. What
you
don't "need" others yearn for for a reason. Look at my signature...

Wanting =/= necessityDoesn't even answer what an expansion offers outside of just more than a single episode of LW gives all at once + especs that people complain about.Besides, they outright said LWS5 would include expansion like content. What that entails remains to be seen but still, it could mean that LW episodes will br beefer to substitute the lack of an expansion.

@Excursion.9752 said:

@"Mortifera.6138" said:The rifle skins, for example, make your toon look like a character in a shooter — it’s like a preview of a shooter game — but you can’t play like it.
- Action Camera Mode is a separate camera mode introduced in Heart of Thorns which adds a first/third person shooter-like element to the default camera view.

Just sayin.

It's also good for doing jumping puzzles. In fact that's the only time I use it. I turn it off for combat, but I use it when I'm doing a lot of jumping because it saves having to hold the right mouse button down and therefore stops my hand hurting.

@Chichimec.9364 said:Thanks everyone. Just reading through your responses had me smiling, chuckling, and even laughing out loud. I'm still chuckling. ty! =)

@"VDAC.2137" - yours might have been the best. I feel that way about life all the time. "Real?" This is "real"? Yikes!

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?