Relevant Revenant Patch Notes

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Per the patch notes:

Revenant

When we reworked sword skill 5 from Grasping Shadow to Deathstrike, we also carried over the slow and chill conditions it inflicted. However, since Deathstrike is a damage skill rather than a control skill like Grasping Shadow, we are removing this component because it muddies the new purpose of the skill. Similarly, we are reworking both Embrace the Darkness and Unyielding Anguish in the Mallyx stance that both act as pulsing areas of effects, with the intent of better differentiating when they should be used. Embrace the Darkness is being focused on inflicting torment. Unyielding Anguish is being revamped, becoming a setup skill that gathers up enemies, and it has been renamed Call to Anguish. Beyond these changes, we are also scaling up skills and traits that looked like they were just marginally out of play and reducing some might generation in PvP.

-Impossible Odds: Instead of pulsing superspeed, this skill now increases your movement speed by 50%. Reduced damage of the secondary strike by 19% in PvP only.-Hardening Persistence: Increased the damage reduction per pip of energy from 1% to 1.5%.-Focused Siphoning: Increased power scaling by 400% in PvE only. Increased healing scaling by 400% in PvE only.-Spear of Anguish: This skill now scales torment duration dynamically based on distance rather than using distance thresholds.-Notoriety: Reduced might duration from 10 seconds to 5 seconds, and reduced the number of stacks applied by 1 in PvP only.-Icerazor's Ire: Increased damage by 30%.-Elemental Blast: Reduced recharge in PvE from 12 seconds to 10 seconds. Fixed an incorrect radius tooltip.-Shining Aspects: Removed the internal cooldown from this trait.-Rapid Flow: Increased base healing by 50%.-Shackling Wave: Reduced the damage of secondary strikes by 20% in PvP and WvW.-Deathstrike: This skill no longer chills or slows.-Burst of Strength: Reduced the damage of this skill in WvW to match the PvP version. Increased the bonus damage boon from 15% to 25% in PvE only.-Unyielding Anguish: This skill has been reworked and renamed Call to Anguish. It is now a leap finisher skill that pulls foes to the center of your landing point and chills them. This skill has an energy cost of 35 and a 5-second recharge.-Embrace the Darkness: This skill is now a mobile dark field. Increased recharge to 10 seconds. This skill no longer grants a stat increase and is no longer unblockable and unblindable. The amount of torment applied per pulse is unchanged, but using a skill that costs energy now increases the stacks of torment applied on the next pulse by 2. This skill now deals a small amount of damage each pulse.

Impossible Odds nerf is a fat yikes with the movement speed. They're trying to shoehorn players into taking Rising Momentum if we want to be even close to the same speed we were.

As for everything else regarding the normal herald build, I think it's fine.

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Impossible Odds nerf is a fat yikes with the movement speed. They're trying to shoehorn players into taking Rising Momentum if we want to be even close to the same speed we were.

I asume that was in regard to movement within pvp/wvw?

@Burtnik.5218 said:So how bad Mallyx changes are? Whats the damage on EtD, range on Anguish etc?

My initial impression is the EtD won’t be as bad as people think. I’ll need to play with it more, but i mostly used the old pre-patch version while finishing off low hp targets and had extra energy to burn through or if I needed to heal up (I use the Jalis traitline for the heal per upkeep trait). The CD is unneeded however. I’m still at a toss up on the trade of extra power dps for extra 15% stats.

Didn’t get much of a chance to use Call to Anguish other than playing with it a few times. I can tell however that it is going to need some buffing though. The high energy cost and CD are too high to make it useable with the other utilities in the Legend, especially if your using EtD at any point in time during a fight. Most opponents have stability anyways so this won’t help it, and the skill is a more or less one time use only skill. Honestly, it either needs no CD or energy cost reduction in its current form.

I haven’t had a chance to look at the other changes, for example that shackling wave nerf is going to hurt.

Overall, this patch was a heavy nerf to my hybrid power\condi build.

On a side note, the CDs in general are getting ridiculous now. Revenant is getting a double penalty on skills now and it’s starting to really irk me. I understand that the energy system is supposed to help alleviate higher CD costs, when CDs are present on skills, but the cost/benefit gap is getting much wider every nerf/buff a patch puts on skills. I personally am a proponent to having no CDs at all because that’s the original feel to the class; CDs are not original design nor should they be.

EDIT: this was in context to WvW btw.

I don't like how the rework of Unyielding Anguish made the Abyssal Chill trait worse, since condi revs don't have a lot of access to chilled.Call to Anguish is too expensive for the trait to be worth taking and the only other skill with 1 application of chilled is axe 4.Glint's elemental blast, sword 2 and hammer 3 are the other skills that chill, but you won't use them for condi.

I think I'm going to retire condi renegade. The mallyx changes are terrible, and I was struggling to break 26k DPS (no food) with it.

(1): There is no more leeway with how you play mallyx. The thing with saving up for UA and spamming it was that it was flexible. If you needed the energy for something else, you had it available. You could wait and save up for an additional UA, or you could switch on EtD for a damage boost + a few additional ticks. Now, you don't have that option anymore. Not only do you do less damage now, but you're also energy starved.

(2): You no longer get a choice with which legend you want to open with. Before, you could go with either Kalla or Mallyx, because both legends had high DPS options that you could just blow through to get to the other. Then charged mists boosts your legend swap, and you rain citadel bombardment. Kalla provided CC and a bleeding buff, while Mallyx provided UA. Now, you have to start in kalla, because that option is no longer available.

(3): The trait abyssal chill is no completely dead. There is no way to take advantage of it now.

(4): Mallyx no longer stacks group might. The dark field overrides the fire field, so all of your blast finishers just inflict blind now.

(5): Mallyx is far less mobile now. The cooldowns hurt, but now all the mobility options cut your offensive power down drastically.

Playing condi renegade feels terrible now. Instead of being capable of improvising, I am now struggling to get basic things to work, and I do a lot less damage than I used to do before.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I think I'm going to retire condi renegade. The mallyx changes are terrible, and I was struggling to break 26k DPS (no food) with it.

(1): There is no more leeway with how you play mallyx. The thing with saving up for UA and spamming it was that it was flexible. If you needed the energy for something else, you had it available. You could wait and save up for an additional UA, or you could switch on EtD for a damage boost + a few additional ticks. Now, you don't have that option anymore. Not only do you do less damage now, but you're also energy starved.

(2): You no longer get a choice with which legend you want to open with. Before, you could go with either Kalla or Mallyx, because both legends had high DPS options that you could just blow through to get to the other. Then charged mists boosts your legend swap, and you rain citadel bombardment. Kalla provided CC and a bleeding buff, while Mallyx provided UA. Now, you have to start in kalla, because that option is no longer available.

(3): The trait abyssal chill is no completely dead. There is no way to take advantage of it now.

(4): Mallyx no longer stacks group might. The dark field overrides the fire field, so all of your blast finishers just inflict blind now.

(5): Mallyx is far less mobile now. The cooldowns hurt, but now all the mobility options cut your offensive power down drastically.

Playing condi renegade feels terrible now. Instead of being capable of improvising, I am now struggling to get basic things to work, and I do a lot less damage than I used to do before.

I got 31k on my 2nd pull after the patch using a slightly modified version of the previous SC rotation. I'm reading also 35-36k on SC's discord with people testing it right now without final rotations, so the damage is certainly still there and the class definitely isn't dead

I agree with you on the loss of Abyssal Chill being meaningful and on the flexibility of Mallyx as a whole though. And the cooldowns don't feel good on CtA for how weak CtA is overall and the cooldown on EtD is way too long (and also goes on full cooldown if you're interrupted while casting it lmao).

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I think I'm going to retire condi renegade. The mallyx changes are terrible, and I was struggling to break 26k DPS (no food) with it.

I got 31k on my 2nd pull after the patch using a slightly modified version of the previous SC rotation. I'm reading also 35-36k on SC's discord with people testing it right now without final rotations, so the damage is certainly still there and the class definitely isn't dead

I agree with you on the loss of Abyssal Chill being meaningful and on the flexibility of Mallyx as a whole though. And the cooldowns don't feel good on CtA for how weak CtA is overall and the cooldown on EtD is way too long (and also goes on full cooldown if you're interrupted while casting it lmao).

Were you talking of a Condi or Power build for the 35-36k?

@LucianDK.8615 said:

Condi Ren. And I haven't personally hit the 35-36k, but I did just get it up to 33k and I don't have full infusions, so am missing a little bit of damage. The changes are certainly buffs for the raw DPS of Condi Ren in general

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Condi Ren. And I haven't personally hit the 35-36k, but I did just get it up to 33k and I don't have full infusions, so am missing a little bit of damage. The changes are certainly buffs for the raw DPS of Condi Ren in general

ah, I was afraid of it being condi rev. I guess the rotation is still a painful twister to pull of?

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:I think I'm going to retire condi renegade. The mallyx changes are terrible, and I was struggling to break 26k DPS (no food) with it.

ah, I was afraid of it being condi rev. I guess the rotation is still a painful twister to pull of?

it's about the same, but potentially slightly more complicated, since it looks like you want to add 1 autoattack in between abilities in shortbow skills while in mallyx. Also the guy who posted a video was using 3/2/1 in corruption, not 2/2/2

For Reference:

@"ventusthunder.5067" said:Impossible Odds nerf is a fat yikes with the movement speed. They're trying to shoehorn players into taking Rising Momentum if we want to be even close to the same speed we were.

Yeah, IO feels pretty horrible now... Guess we'll have to break down and take Rising Momentum (which is no longer borderline useless at least.) I mean most revs were probably already taking RM, cuz buildsites tell them too, but it sucks that anet nerfed IO to make RM attractive instead of just making a trait at that tier truly attractive in its own right.

Personally, I will miss you Elder's Respite, you gave me an undercover sneaky amount of sustain while roaming/dueling in zerkers.... :skull:

Just echoing others and that IO in PvP and WvW seems very substandard. Losing its superspeed was kind of its thing. The 50% movement speed is barely noticeable.

Edit:Call to Anguish needs a slight drop in energy from 35 to 30. With a 5 second cooldown, there's no reason to have such a high energy consumption.

@phokus.8934 said:Call to Anguish needs a slight drop in energy from 35 to 30. With a 5 second cooldown, there's no reason to have such a high energy consumption.

Shit needs more than just 5 energy reduction. It’s not useful for kiting anymore since it doesn’t leave a chill field, not that useful against most pvp targets with how much stability/evade/etc. exists, not a great mobility skill, not a great engage skill since it leaves you energy starved with no pressure, and most importantly its probably the worst pull in the game the leap takes WAY too long with a 240 radius to be useful for grouping up multiple human targets.

It needs like 5 energy reduction PLUS an evade or stability PLUS a 360 radius pull if it’s ever going to be useful with that godawful 5 second cooldown. Was playing condi all night in ranked and WvW and it was my least used skill in the kit now. The energy I would have used for UA in the past I spent on BE and EtD

So some initial thoughts on UA and EtD. I spent a few hours solo roaming (and some dueling) tonight in WvW, so this is all gathered from that perspective.

Unyielding Anguish

When the CC lands on this, it feels nice. I was able to ping-pong Necros pretty badly, but it felt difficult to pull off against most other classes that have better mobility and can avoid it or kite me more easily. I had a much harder time kiting enemies as I could not double- to triple-cast the skill, which previously helped tremendously in repositioning and area denial. I do miss that the most and I find it to be a hard adjustment. It felt significantly worse trying to disengage. Taking away mobility potential from Mallyx further isolates Shiro into being the only "mobility" legend, which is not a healthy step for a class that is restricted to two legend choices. I do think this skill needs polishing still as it comes at an extremely steep energy cost.I think part of what made this change feel more tolerable is that I run core and Charged Mists, so I have access to a lot more energy than a lot of builds. It makes playing Mallyx much more fluid and I felt it was able to adjust more easily to the patch. I honestly don't think I would have used CtA much if I wasn't running either of those.The leap finisher was definitely a nice implementation, but not game-changing. I found it most fun to use after putting down a Jalis road so I could eat a stab stack via Dazing Strike before pulling. On a related note, I would say that the change to this skill also severely decreased the value of Abyssal Chill. Unless I run mainhand sword, I see little reason to use it and consider Demonic Resistance to be a stronger master tier trait now (assuming running Mallyx).

I feel like there is a lot they could do with this skill to bring it up to snuff. I would say that first, the energy cost could be reduced to 30. Additionally:-Add 2 seconds of slow. (This combine with the chill would make it a more debilitating CC)-Perhaps have it leave behind a chill/slow AoE pulsing 1s of each condition for 2 seconds.Then, either:-If no enemies are within the impact radius, reset the cooldown of this skill. Your next cast costs 50%(?) less energy. (This would be so it could be used as a repositioning tool)Or:-Increase the range to 900 (As mentioned, having a 5s cooldown on it is painful and very restrictive to the legend's mobility)

Embrace the Darkness

Okay, this skill I was surprised about. I actually really love the way it functions and appreciate its super-focus on torment now. It felt really great to be able to use staff skills and not have my damage flatten out as much as it normally would. I could see how the dark field could get annoying, but when solo roaming, I love it because the reliable blinds from blasting it can be pretty clutch. Honestly the only complaint I have about it is the cooldown, which is admittedly a big complaint. It makes the skill and overall fluidity of the legend feel much more clunky as you basically get one chance at using EtD unless you are camping the legend for a while. I'd like to see its cooldown decreased to 3 or 5 seconds.

Anguish feels odd after the change and possibly as one of the worst utility skills in game. It also hurts Mallyx mobility hard af. And its so easy to interrupt as it ever was but now you just lose more energy and get put on cd. What made them think that it even need cost increase and cd is beyond me. The way it works now that joke should have no cd and 20 energy cost top.

EtD slapped cd ruined the legend for me so basically (cant manage energy anymore, its either all or nothing till next legend swap), im rerolling bc Mallyx was the last thing i enjoyed about revenant. Not sure if i should return to warrior or get some fun with reaper/dh.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Times like this I really lament that these DPS tests are done on huge golems while standing inside of their model. AKA something I'll almost never be able to do.

It's literally done exclusively to cut down on RNG since people who do this, sometimes do so for long periods of time. The only skill affected by the huge hitbox is Citadel bombardment and in theory all missiles can strike a small target. Therefore small hitbox test is almost pointless as you'll get wildly varying results everytime with no indication of whether or not youre doing better.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:(1): There is no more leeway with how you play mallyx. The thing with saving up for UA and spamming it was that it was flexible. If you needed the energy for something else, you had it available. You could wait and save up for an additional UA, or you could switch on EtD for a damage boost + a few additional ticks. Now, you don't have that option anymore. Not only do you do less damage now, but you're also energy starved.

I disagree on most of these points.

1) On most fights you bring a condi renegade to anyways, confusion is effective at allowing you to utilize Banish Enchantment as your new "dump" skill to work around, should you need it.

2) This isn't true. People are experimenting with both kalla and Mallyx openers, with Mallyx being easier to pull off with Etd>sb4>BE>sb3>legend swap>sb2>weapon swap. The Kalla opener isn't optimized yet but results are positive so far with axe5>CB>mace3>legend>mace2>weapon

3)The only thing I agree on. An argument can be made for PvP Condi Herald (chill from Facet of the Elements procs a fair amount of torment) but giving up lesser Banish Enchantment is kinda...eh.

4) False, once again. Not only was raid-wide might generation never reliant on renegade fields (in anything you generated more might from using F2 to cover rotation errors), nor truly assisted it, Fire Fields present before EtD take precedence over EtD's Dark Field, meaning no finishers will use the dark field until all previous combo fields are gone.

5) This is true but ultimately irrelevant in the context of organized PvE, which everything else in this post is referring to. Anywhere you need mobility in any context of PvE you can run Shiro/Mallyx, instead of Kalla/Mallyx (with an easier rotation!) for like 1-2k benchmark DPS loss.

Improvements need to still be made to Mallyx, but I don't want these changes reverted. I would still like to see the CD's on CtA shaved and EtD halved, but i absolutely love the way the new EtD works and its Dark Field, and having the pull on CtA is nice.

Most egregiously, adding the pulsing chill back to CtA is must. Adding slow additionally would justify the cost and CD. I dont particularly see the point of the EtD cooldown. Like obviously they want us to commit to EtD until were forced to swap out of Mallyx but...why? What's the point? That 10s CD is very clearly not because of the Skill's power level. It's good but not that good.

@Ertrak.9506 said:It's literally done exclusively to cut down on RNG since people who do this, sometimes do so for long periods of time. The only skill affected by the huge hitbox is Citadel bombardment and in theory all missiles can strike a small target. Therefore small hitbox test is almost pointless as you'll get wildly varying results everytime with no indication of whether or not youre doing better.

Except for Sevenshot, Bloodbane Path, and Echoing Eruption. Those are also affected by size.

@Ertrak.9506 said:1) On most fights you bring a condi renegade to anyways, confusion is effective at allowing you to utilize Banish Enchantment as your new "dump" skill to work around, should you need it.

Why do you say things when you haven't done the math? Serious question. Banish Enchantment is 3 confusion stacks for 6 seconds for 20 energy. Unyielding Anguish was 8 stacks of torment for 6 seconds (20% stronger and 20% longer with Yearning Empowerment) in a large AoE for 30 energy. They aren't even close to comparable. This is even worse in PVP/WvW where Banish is 5 stacks of confusion for 2 seconds.

@Ertrak.9506 said:2) This isn't true. People are experimenting with both kalla and Mallyx openers, with Mallyx being easier to pull off with Etd>sb4>BE>sb3>legend swap>sb2>weapon swap. The Kalla opener isn't optimized yet but results are positive so far with axe5>CB>mace3>legend>mace2>weapon

You still don't have high burst options in either legend. You're just blowing every weapon skill you have as fast as you can in a way-too-complex rotation. Compare this to the previous option, which was just UA.

@Ertrak.9506 said:4) False, once again. Not only was raid-wide might generation never reliant on renegade fields (in anything you generated more might from using F2 to cover rotation errors), nor truly assisted it, Fire Fields present before EtD take precedence over EtD's Dark Field, meaning no finishers will use the dark field until all previous combo fields are gone.

And everywhere else? And when EtD activates before the fire field? And when it does last longer? Did I specifically just say "raids?" Don't be difficult.

@Ertrak.9506 said:5) This is true but ultimately irrelevant in the context of organized PvE, which everything else in this post is referring to. Anywhere you need mobility in any context of PvE you can run Shiro/Mallyx, instead of Kalla/Mallyx (with an easier rotation!) for like 1-2k benchmark DPS loss.

No I'm not. I'm talking about mallyx EVERYWHERE. It loses might stacks EVERYWHERE. It loses mobility EVERYWHERE. It loses flexibility EVERYWHERE. It loses ease of use EVERYWHERE. It loses damage EVERYWHERE. This is common sense. All of those things matter in every game mode. This is why those huge model DPS tests tick me off. The claim that condi renegade isn't nerfed is based upon fingertwisting rotations that require super high-end gaming rigs, no-life levels of skill and health, and only work against a gigantic, immobile, defenseless target. I.E. the one or two raid bosses where this is somewhat the case. The other 99% of the game, everybody is feeling the sting.