Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"rlwilliamson.2075" said:Thanks so much for this. I know I am late to the party but I just found your work. I can now say I have nothing keeping in Windows anymore. It's weird but I feel like i'm getting slightly better performace on linux than when I was running in Windows.

I can report that both on my laptop and on my friend(s) the d9vk setup runs better than windows. Fps wise its almost identical but on linux much faster loading screens and less stutters.

Also, i would like to inform that now D9VK released its first offical version which supports gw2 completely including arcdps:https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk/releases/tag/0.13

Enjoy everyone :) :)

So, I reinstalled GW2 on my laptop after removing Antergos and going to Zorin. I used the installer, which was simple to use, however, not sure if this is an issue with the installer version or with the package. The Launcher shows nothing but the background. No text, no UI, nothing. Is there anything I can do to resolve that? I'm running this on a Ryzen 5 APU laptop (R5 2500U/Vega 8), if that helps.

@Kanok.3027 said:So, I reinstalled GW2 on my laptop after removing Antergos and going to Zorin. I used the installer, which was simple to use, however, not sure if this is an issue with the installer version or with the package. The Launcher shows nothing but the background. No text, no UI, nothing. Is there anything I can do to resolve that? I'm running this on a Ryzen 5 APU laptop (R5 2500U/Vega 8), if that helps.

Install the Wine package from the repo, you won't use it directly since GW2 carries its' own version, but along with it you will install all the required libraries by Wine. For reference you can watch the video I recorded on the main page. Regardless if you choose the gui or terminal version, for the most part the installation procedure is the same.

Ah, right. I should have prepped first. I knew I was jumping ahead too soon. Thanks for that little tip.

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently Zorin has some kind of issue with wine not being an installation candidate. Might have to delve deeper into this and see what I can find out...

@DxCx.8653 said:

@"rlwilliamson.2075" said:Thanks so much for this. I know I am late to the party but I just found your work. I can now say I have nothing keeping in Windows anymore. It's weird but I feel like i'm getting slightly better performace on linux than when I was running in Windows.

I can report that both on my laptop and on my friend(s) the d9vk setup runs better than windows. Fps wise its almost identical but on linux much faster loading screens and less stutters.

Also, i would like to inform that now D9VK released its first offical version which supports gw2 completely including arcdps:

Enjoy everyone :) :)

Thanks so much. So this is diffrent than what I downloaded on the first page? New-ish to linux, sorry. Do I install it the same way?

@rlwilliamson.2075 said:Thanks so much. So this is diffrent than what I downloaded on the first page? New-ish to linux, sorry. Do I install it the same way?

The package on the main page comprises of a set of programs which includes a custom wine, pre-set settings optimized for GW2, the d9vk components and some self made scripts. The link DxCx linked is for the d9vk component only, for comparison purposes the current d9vk inside the package is only a few features behind the 0.13 release, technically these are unrelated to GW2 since the game already worked perfectly before that, arcdps support is present as well. :)

For the time being I will only be updating the d9vk components inside the package, as such I will upload small patches rather than a full sized installer every time. This should also make it less of a hassle for everyone.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@rlwilliamson.2075 said:Thanks so much. So this is diffrent than what I downloaded on the first page? New-ish to linux, sorry. Do I install it the same way?

The package on the main page comprises of a set of programs which includes a custom wine, pre-set settings optimized for GW2, the d9vk components and some self made scripts. The link DxCx linked is for the d9vk component only, for comparison purposes the current d9vk inside the package is only a few features behind the 0.13 release, technically these are unrelated to GW2 since the game already worked perfectly before that, arcdps support is present as well. :)

For the time being I will only be updating the d9vk components inside the package, as such I will upload small patches rather than a full sized installer every time. This should also make it less of a hassle for everyone.

Thanks for the clarification. So I should be good to go unless I want to install the new componates for testing? Its already working great as is.

After installing elementary, getting wine up and running and getting GW2 installed and downloaded (updated), I got a DirectX 9 error. Tried to install it using winetricks, now it just crashes, so I decided not to even bother with it for the time being. The installer didn't work on elementary OS due to Pantheon being the DE and not having shortcuts on the desktop like other DE's do. Oh well. I still have it on Windows, so I guess there's that. At least, for the time being. This combined with the balance patch news just put me into a stupor. Excuse me while I go drink myself into oblivion.

Hey there Armor,

I am back (sort of) I had for the most part deleted everything for sometime now but decided to start transitioning back to playing a little again.

Tried the current package and it works better by a decent margin compared to the last time I was using it (not sure which version I was using last year). I am getting faster load times and better FPS. I still get a little stutter but mostly in dense areas or high population spots.

Did you ever get your package working with Gallium-nine?

I get lower FPS using it through straight wine-staging with NINE but I get zero stutter just a bit of lag in large events. I would love to incorporate the best of both.

I have it running both ways still and it has become much easier to deal with Gallium-nine and wine now. Now that it is basically a stand alone you can just install Gallium-nine to the wineprefix for a specific game directly. There are some drawbacks but this ran without issue for me the first time I tried and I was guessing. I either am finally starting to remember something about linux after these last few years or this actually got easier.

Hope things have been well and I see a lot names in the thread here that I did not before so that hopefully means that GW2 on Linux has become more popular. I have to go back and read a lot of the pages of these posts now :)

I have been tinkering with this:

https://github.com/iXit/wine-nine-standalone

I have come to the end of my wisdom. Maybe someone here has an idea.

My system:OpenSuse Tumbleweed KDEGeforce GTX 770Driver 430.26.0DXVK 1.2.2Vulkan 1.1.9.9

My problem:Using the vulkan package from here like it is, GW2 crashes every few minutes. Most of the time leaving the computer completely frozen, so I have to do a complete restart. Sometimes I get an error message and GW2 only crashes to desktop. Debug.sh does not give any messages or hints concerning the crashes. This happens with version 1.7 and 1.8 and no matter whether GW2 is running in fullscreen or windowed fullscreen modus.

If I use the legacy OpenGl package, I never have any crashes at all, the game runs fine!

The error message I get:

! --> Crash <--! Exception: 20474343
! App: Gw2-64.exe! Pid: 8! BaseAddr: 0000000140000000! ProgramId: 101! Build: 97617! Module: KERNEL32.dll! When: 2019-07-12T21:28:25Z 2019-07-12T23:28:25+02:00! Uptime: 0 days 0:01:01! Flags: 0!! --> System <--! Name: 06e7e29e! IpAddr: 192.168.0.104! Processors: 4 [GenuineIntel:6:12:3]! OSVersion: Windows 6.1 (64 bit)!! --> System Memory <--! Physical: 3038MB/ 7924MB 38%! Paged: 7951MB/12927MB 61%! Virtual: 134217727MB/134217727MB 3%! Load: 61%! CommitTotal: 5253MB! CommitLimit: 12927MB! CommitPeak: 0MB! SystemCache: 0MB! HandleCount: 8768! ProcessCount: 7! ThreadCount: 86!! --> Process Memory <--! Private: 0MB! WorkingSet: 2551MB! PeakWorkingSet: 2553MB! PageFaults: 0!! --> Memory Category Usage (Inclusive) <--! [Category] [size(MB)] [Count]
! Root 1500.43 1738402
! Programmer Data 1022.69 473265
! VRAM 634.27 15238
! Engine 537.17 237509
! Model-Programmer 427.04 68988
! Uncategorized 353.47 1198141
! Game 330.11 173570
! Content 212.68 55785
! VRAM - Prop Tex 171.99 1925
! VRAM - Character Tex 139.94 1128
! Collections 113.24 8197
! Dictionary 111.26 2733
! Text 96.00 14238
! VRAM - Gr Postproc 91.34 17
! Art Assets 90.26 23622
! Gr 89.05 109963
! Character Models 67.58 7136
! Composite Models 66.71 3712
! VRAM - Composite Tex 64.28 333
! Gr Umbra 43.97 1413
! Composite Tex Pool 36.15 136
! Composite Tex 36.15 136
! Collide 34.02 43374
! Composite Packfile 30.22 837
!! --> Memory Category Usage (Exclusive) <--! [Category] [size(MB)] [Count]
! Model-Programmer 415.18 52302
! Uncategorized 353.47 1198141
! Content 212.68 55785
! VRAM - Prop Tex 171.99 1925
! VRAM - Character Tex 139.94 1128
! Dictionary 111.26 2733
! Text 96.00 14238
! VRAM - Gr Postproc 91.34 17
! VRAM - Composite Tex 64.28 333
! Gr Umbra 43.97 1413
! Composite Tex Pool 36.15 136
! Composite Packfile 30.22 837
! VRAM - DirectX Geo Buffers 28.03 1109
! Archive 26.02 91
! VRAM - Gr Img 17.52 8
! Collide Havok 15.58 32815
! Collide 13.86 9363
! VRAM - DDI Shader 13.71 10101
! VRAM - Character Geo 13.63 71
! VRAM - Terrain Tex 12.25 45
! Model Granny 11.85 16118
! Gr Shadow 11.80 4433
! Composite 11.63 1792
! Audio FMOD 10.35 4185
!!! --> Error Logs <--! NULL REWARD TRACK: 5C4929DB-7CD3-E711-81B2-CD140C1287E2! NULL REWARD TRACK: 5C4929DB-7CD3-E711-81B2-CD140C1287E2! Content is referencing a propID that doesn't exist propId='2248714043770673416'! Content is referencing a propID that doesn't exist propId='1972964328275477224'! Texture missing mip chain: 0x0f8c78! Texture '0x03539b' dimensions too small! Loading '0x03539b' texture failed! Model '0x20a990': Permutation 'stoweda' not found, auto selecting permutation! Model '0x123674': Permutation 'boworange' not found, auto selecting permutation! Texture missing mip chain: 0x1a1ed9! Texture missing mip chain: 0x1a1edb! Model '0x0e617c': Permutation 'sword' not found, auto selecting permutation! Model '0x204f6e': Permutation 'holo' not found, auto selecting permutation! Model '0x20a990': Permutation 'stoweda' not found, auto selecting permutation

I'm using seperat folders for the vulkan package and the openGl package. I have done client repair. I have reduced the graphic settings to minimum.

@Nicodemus.1486 said:quick question: so when the custom Wine or D9VK gets updated, how do I update my install correctly?

Wine is not updated very much, this is mostly because the changes in new versions don't affect GW2. D9VK on the other hand is constantly improving, the plan is to release small patches containing just the updated D9VK components.

Installation of the patches will come in the form a simple zip file which you can extract in the game's folder and overwrite the older files. The schedule for these patches will be testing on Friday, followed by a Saturday release if all checks out.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Forgive the silly question, but I was wondering since Vulkan is much more optimized than Dx9, would it make a difference on Windows PCs to run something similar?

D9VK can also be ran on Windows however if you come across any issues I don't think the dev will fix them. As for how it performs, I really can't tell as I never tried.

@luzonophir.7134 said:can you run GW2 with UNIX?

or nobody likes UNIX?

I am guessing it is possible but you would probably have to do it all yourself. Compile all needed drivers, alter the system in such a way to accommodate either running WINE and all needed components or something similar. I looked for only about 5 min but did not find much on searching for data related to this.

If you could get WINE running and your graphics drivers who know can say :)

I am not very proficient in UNIX so maybe this has already been done actually.

@luzonophir.7134 said:what's the appeal of Linux compared to UNIX such that lots, i mean lots of people want virtually ALL Windows Programs to run on Linux?

(given that Linux is a derivative or should I say, born because Stallman et al HATE UNIX)

Only a guess but so many people have a love/hate relationship with Windows, you hate it as a OS but everything you love only (for the most part) runs on Windows. Linux is a very modern, stable, operating system, there is lots of variety in DEs along with a ton more security, the compatibility layer that software like Wine provides is probably one of the biggest favors a Linux developer could give to the Windows community. Of course this is just my opinion.

@luzonophir.7134 said:what's the appeal of Linux compared to UNIX such that lots, i mean lots of people want virtually ALL Windows Programs to run on Linux?

(given that Linux is a derivative or should I say, born because Stallman et al HATE UNIX)

Well, the question asked here is the appeal Linux has over Unix, not versus Windows.

As far as I know, it's about history. When Linus released Linux to the community, it was with the desire to have a community developed around it, and lots of programmers around the globe decided to work on that. Unix development wasn't as open, I'd say it was even stagnant. Thus, eventually Linux gained enough momentum that it became so much more popular than Unix.

As for the Windows versus Linux debate, pretty much it boils down to: Linux has the best OS software and better driver performance (when supported), but Windows has some programs for which there isn't a Linux version available. Hence, a lot of people who know about computers would love it if they could Just ditch Windows.

@jbrother.1340 said:Hey there Armor,

I am back (sort of) I had for the most part deleted everything for sometime now but decided to start transitioning back to playing a little again.

Tried the current package and it works better by a decent margin compared to the last time I was using it (not sure which version I was using last year). I am getting faster load times and better FPS. I still get a little stutter but mostly in dense areas or high population spots.

Did you ever get your package working with Gallium-nine?

Hey, welcome back :)

To be honest I didn't try to get Gallium Nine working (I'm aware of the Standalone version). D9VK has been progressing so quickly and since Vulkan works on all GPU's I've been focusing on that for the most part. As for the stuttering part though, that usually happens on a fresh installation since it has to cache the shaders and saves them to the HDD, following runs of the game will be smoother since the shaders are already compiled.

@Rhonja.5801 said:I have come to the end of my wisdom. Maybe someone here has an idea.

I've had that Kernel32.dll randomly appearing when the new Dragonfall map was released, a few updates later and I never encountered it again, however on a rare occasion I do get other crashes which might not be Wine's fault, the Technical Support forum is full of game crash reports.

Just to be safe on your end, did you increase the Max file open limit? If not set correctly it causes issue with GW2 (and on rare occasions other Windows games in Wine too). The troubleshooting part on the 1st page covers how to solve this issue (works on every distro).

what unix are you talking about? And have you ever used a unix (I have btw. And I don't mean Freebsd or Netbsd. Or Apple's perversion).

Also, I don't want ALL windows programs to run on linux. In fact, I am happy that most don't. And I am exclusively using linux on my computers at home for ca 20 years.