Path of Fire and the Tale of Unfun Design

Caysadia.7405

Let me spin you a tale, of a time before time, where celeeles roamed the plains, and berserker amulet was still used. Where players counted cooldowns, and evades weren't seen 30 times a minute. A simpler, more wholesome time. But all good things must come to an end. Deep in the bowels of arenanet colin crafted his cursed concoction, brewing together hatred and rage into his pessimi opus, and once his vile work was complete he fled, leaving us with his twisted creation, and so Heart of Thorns was launched. With it came the beginning of the end.

With heart of thorns came a plague of braindrain never before seen to the mists. Bunker chronos lounged on their thrones, eating the foul grapes of pips. Hordes of adrenal health berserkers, bunker druids with one shot pets, and 6k auto revs ran wild, while our brothers in wvw were getting 1shot by epidemics and cors. The beginning of the dark ages. Fast forwards to today and weve entered a new era of oddities. The action packed combat we all know and love eroded by time into the twisted amalgamation we trudge through today.

I ask you o forum goer mine, do you enjoy the current state of pvp. Do you feel a rush being repeatadly immobd by a CI mesmer, forced out of melee by a scourge, one shot by 2 revs, or outlasted by even the most mediocre of scrapper. As patch after patch drops and population dwindles to age, it seems time and time again we push away from the ideal "wow I he outplayed the hell out of me!" to "wow this is really boring!". The game may be more "balanced" these days but its certaintly not more fun, at least for me. I urge arenanet to look at the current state of both pvp and wvw and think to themselves "is this really fun to play?".

@"Caysadia.7405" said:Let me spin you a tale, of a time before time, where celeeles roamed the plains, and berserker amulet was still used. Where players counted cooldowns, and evades weren't seen 30 times a minute. A simpler, more wholesome time. But all good things must come to an end. Deep in the bowels of arenanet colin crafted his cursed concoction, brewing together hatred and rage into his pessimi opus, and once his vile work was complete he fled, leaving us with his twisted creation, and so Heart of Thorns was launched. With it came the beginning of the end.

With heart of thorns came a plague of braindrain never before seen to the mists. Bunker chronos lounged on their thrones, eating the foul grapes of pips. Hordes of adrenal health berserkers, bunker druids with one shot pets, and 6k auto revs ran wild, while our brothers in wvw were getting 1shot by epidemics and cors. The beginning of the dark ages. Fast forwards to today and weve entered a new era of oddities. The action packed combat we all know and love eroded by time into the twisted amalgamation we trudge through today.

I ask you o forum goer mine, do you enjoy the current state of pvp. Do you feel a rush being repeatadly immobd by a CI mesmer, forced out of melee by a scourge, one shot by 2 revs, or outlasted by even the most mediocre of scrapper. As patch after patch drops and population dwindles to age, it seems time and time again we push away from the ideal "wow I he outplayed the hell out of me!" to "wow this is really boring!". The game may be more "balanced" these days but its certaintly not more fun, at least for me. I urge arenanet to look at the current state of both pvp and wvw and think to themselves "is this really fun to play?".

Evades weren't seen? s/d existed then, sword/torch axe/dagger condi rangers existed

hammer spam warriors, cele eles - brain dead bullshit, cele engi - broken damage, condi and utility , shout warriors - most broken node fighter, dhuumfire necro, spirit rangers

these were all for the most part brainless and disgusting

they just chose the wrong path in trying to fix those things, and made it worse. don't confuse good design/better design with nostalgia.

most esports teams figured this out quickly and left, shortly after they changed the tournament team/solo queue system and in that moment it destroyed the game mode and has never been the same since.

i do obviously agree with what you're saying though, but it was not better in vanilla .. was the same just on a smaller scale. they should have fixed it correctly and taken a different approach before HoT even came out during 2013 balance.

GW2's PvP was always pretty bad, and the megacancer like instant burst at range, passive sustain and protracted damage/effect negation started brewing way back even in 2013. The expansions certainly only worsened the situation, but it was already rather horrific going into 2015.

I miss the days of cele brawlers (d/d ele, rifle engi, etc.) holding out on a point. It was a tough fight, but you could win if you played smart, interrupted heals, avoided CC, and gradually gained the edge over the course of a fight.

If I had to pick a date when it all started going downhill, I think it would be the June 2015 specialization patch where they changed the traitlines to a pick-3 system instead of a point-buy from all of them.