Not a Real Game

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"SlateSloan.3654" said:has always been that anet utilize content from other games or popcorn cinema to make money with it themselfes.

GoT Season 8 comes out and suddenly we get a skyscale dragon and all dragon stuff in the game store which makes one able to play the dragon mother.

get it? no? - all the different named "Daeneryys Targaryaaann" players getting cashed of while the GoT hype is running again ;D

only way to change this business behaviour is community stop to buy such.

Really? I've never watched Game of Thrones (I assume that's what GoT is); did dragons only appear in Season 8? If not, why wasn't Skyscale released however many seasons ago they did appear?If so, then how did ArenaNet know dragons were going to appear in Season 8?

Thing is the OP wants GW2 to follow the Rules of MMO's1) it must follow guidelines of an MMO like the one they used to play2) it must have expansions every few months to be an MMO3) it must act and play like an MMO4) it cannot have other idea's floating around that are different from the idea of an MMO5) it cannot be story driven and must increase the level of a character for each expansionwhat people seem to forget is the end part of MMORPGRPG means it can be anything to the players and to the developersSo please stop trying to make this the game you used to play and be happy its here for you to play

@Miellyn.6847 said:

@Aridon.8362 said:You're right, real games have actual progression systems in them.

So Counter-Strike, Dota2 or similiar games are not real games as they also have zero progression (even less than GW2) outside of player skill?Or boardgames are also not real games?

i mean, there are leaderboards, ligues, and even weaponsboardgames are litarelly a steady progression of your game situation (for the better or worse).Not to familiar with mobas, but you also have i steady progression each game there aswell?!

still don´t agree on gw2 is no real game, but your arguments here are not exactly bulletproofed

@sigur.9453 said:

@Aridon.8362 said:You're right, real games have actual progression systems in them.

So Counter-Strike, Dota2 or similiar games are not real games as they also have zero progression (even less than GW2) outside of player skill?Or boardgames are also not real games?

i mean, there are leaderboards, ligues, and even weaponsboardgames are litarelly a steady progression of your game situation (for the better or worse).Not to familiar with mobas, but you also have i steady progression each game there aswell?!

still don´t agree on gw2 is no real game, but your arguments here are not exactly bulletproofed

When you read his other posts you will notice that his progression is only gear progression. And that doesn't exist in those games as everything gets wiped after you finished.GW2 also has PvP rank and a league system.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Anyone get the feeling they’re not playing a “real” game? Look at the gem store. The rifle skins, for example, make your toon look like a character in a shooter — it’s like a preview of a shooter game — but you can’t play like it. It feels like this is not a real game but a preview of real games. It’s like ordering a picture of a pizza. You get to look at the pizza, but you can’t eat it.

It feels like a free alternative to real MMOs. This feeling is stronger now that a Living World season is going to compensate for the lack of content usually delivered by an expansion. “Real” MMOs are getting expansion. We are getting silence.

It is a real game in the sense you don't have any control over the game in an MMO its up to the developers.Living world is Arena NETS version of small expansions which also come more frequent then those big expansions of other publishers. Arena NET has a history doing things different then other publishers it is always a hit and miss. About the big expansions they already said this year it won't be by my guess not before end 2020 more likely beginning to mid 2021.

About content we have a lot of content at the moment with Vision , current small events , also there is a lot of old content.

Living World do you have all the achievements from :LS2? LS3? LS4?Then core game , HoT, PoF?

Okay then did you get Aurora and Vision ?

Fraktals:Are you running up to 100?Do you have all the achievements ?running 99 cm ?running 100cm?

Raids:all wings?Legendary armour?cms?

Dungeons:Did you run all paths?Did you complete every collection for every dungeon ?...

Look, here's what I'm trying to say: You get to look like a sniper, but you can't play the game like a shooter. You get to look like a dervish, but you can't actually play a dervish. It's like this game is for people too poor to play the real games that have those things in them. And now we don't even have expansions.Instead we’re getting a fake version of expansions with Living Story. But no real expansion, that's for real MMOs that cost real money.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Look, here's what I'm trying to say: You get to look like a sniper, but you can't play the game like a shooter. You get to look like a dervish, but you can't actually play a dervish. It's like this game is for people too poor to play the real games that have those things in them. And now we don't even have expansions, instead giving us a fake version of expansions with Living Story episodes. But no real expansion, that's for real MMOs that cost real money.

Why do you want to play a shooter in an MMO? Go play a shooter if you want a shooter.

Also, how is LW any different than an expansion aside from it being spread out over time?

@Ototo.3214 said:

Why do you want to play a shooter in an MMO? Go play a shooter if you want a shooter.

Why do the sniper rifles look like they came out of a shooter? I thought this was a game with its own unique MMO style, not a fake game that shows a preview of how cool real games are.

@Ototo.3214 said:

Also, how is LW any different than an expansion aside from it being spread out over time?

Maps not as big or detailed, no espec, no free QoL improvement such as mounts or gliders, etc.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

Why do the sniper rifles look like they came out of a shooter? I thought this was a game with its own unique MMO style, not a fake game that shows a preview of how cool real games are.

Maps not as big or detailed, no espec, no free QoL improvement such as mounts or gliders, etc.

Maybe because it's better to have a variety of different skins to appeal to different people. What a concept.

And no, the LW maps can be quite large. Draconis Mons is huge. Also, the LW maps give a lot more map variety while the expansions are basically just one biome throughout: jungle and desert. They've introduced 2 new mounts through LW. And they make quite a few QoL updates outside of expansions. Glyphs on gathering tools, change to unidentified gear, key ring, more types of mats in mat storage. I don't recall those being tied to an expansion.The only valid one is especs, but people still rage about the power creep and imbalance of our current especs and I doubt people would be happy if only a few professions get a new espec each episode. Not to mention Anet stated that LWS5 would include more expac like content. We don't yet know what that means, but it could very well be especs and/or build templates.

I'd personally rather get smaller portions of expansion like content (that they give you for free) over time rather than a big expansion after years of waiting.

@Ototo.3214 said:

Maybe because it's better to have a variety of different skins to appeal to different people. What a concept.

I'd personally rather get smaller portions of expansion like content (that they give you for free) over time rather than a big expansion after years of waiting.

My point exactly - they are trying to appeal to everyone, even people who like shooters and can't afford to play them so they're playing this fake game instead. What a concept indeed.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

My point exactly - they are trying to appeal to everyone, even people who like shooters and can't afford to play them, so they're playing this fake game instead. What a concept indeed.

I'm sure many people that play GW2 also play shooters when they want to play a shooter. But when they're playing GW2 they don't want to play a shooter. It's such a random conclusion to make.You're also talking to someone that pays for and plays a sub based MMO, FFXIV, who comes back to GW2 once FFXIV has run out of content because at least old content in GW2 is replayable to some degree. I haven't had issues finding people to do older raids in GW2 yet it took me weeks of sitting in Party Finder in FFXIV just to get a group together to do an old outdated raid just so I could get a chest piece skin.

@Ototo.3214 said:

My point exactly - they are trying to appeal to everyone, even people who like shooters and can't afford to play them, so they're playing this fake game instead. What a concept indeed.

I'm sure many people that play GW2 also play shooters when they want to play a shooter. But when they're playing GW2 they don't want to play a shooter. It's such a random conclusion to make.You're also talking to someone that pays for and plays a sub based MMO, FFXIV, who comes back to GW2 once FFXIV has run out of content because at least old content in GW2 is replayable to some degree. I haven't had issues finding people to do older raids in GW2 yet it took me weeks of sitting in Party Finder in FFXIV just to get a group together to do an old outdated raid just so I could get a chest piece skin.

Yes, this game is made to be played alongside others. That's why it's not a real game but a side game. Unless you're too poor to play real games, then you play GW2 exclusively.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

Yes, this game is made to be played alongside others. That's why it's not a real game but a side game. Unless you're too poor to play real games, then you play GW2 exclusively.

Considering I return to GW2 because it had more stuff to do I could easily assert the contrary. But I don't because to say one or the other isn't a 'real' game is nonsensical. Considering a new expac just came out for FFXIV and I'm already back to GW2 because I ran out of content to do, I'd say FFXIV is the game I play alongside GW2 btw.

@Ototo.3214 said:

Considering I return to GW2 because it had more stuff to do I could easily assert the contrary. But I don't because to say one or the other isn't a 'real' game is nonsensical. Considering a new expac just came out for FFXIV and I'm already back to GW2 because I ran out of content to do, I'd say FFXIV is the game I play alongside GW2 btw.

Okay, but that doesn't mean that GW2 is a real game, just because you play it more.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Look, here's what I'm trying to say: You get to look like a sniper, but you can't play the game like a shooter. You get to look like a dervish, but you can't actually play a dervish. It's like this game is for people too poor to play the real games that have those things in them. And now we don't even have expansions.Instead we’re getting a fake version of expansions with Living Story. But no real expansion, that's for real MMOs that cost real money.

You can play a sniper with Deadeye and if you want to play it like a FPS, people have already pointed out you can use action cam.

This is all so meaningless. A game is only “real” if it allows you to play your favorite class? Or, doesn’t allow you to look like something else while playing another class? Doesn’t every online game have these options? So none of them are “real”?

This thread was always nonsensical but isn’t even amusing anymore. Just another GW2-doesn’t-cater-to-me-so-is-clearly-dying / whatever threads with some extra illogical complaints and semantics thrown in. :unamused:

@Mortifera.6138 said:

Okay, but that doesn't mean that GW2 is a real game, just because you play it more.

Okay, but just because you can make a No True Scotsman fallacy doesn't mean it's a valid argument, just because you keep asserting it.

Try this:"I feel unsatisfied with this game because referential elements of it remind me that I would rather be playing another game; one which explores the referenced mechanics and gameplay styles more deeply."

It's still wrong, but at least it sounds less like drunken blather.