Soul Eater Rant

Morde.3158

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@""James.1065"Unlikely. Placing a internal cooldown or a numbered limitation instead of % for the healing is more likely, or replace the % damage dealt to heal with a new function than plain removal.

With boons, Gravedigger crits for 35-40k every 1s aoe(on target below <50% hp) and Soul Spiral aoe hits up to 90k, 200k+ on stunned. Very unlikely to balance skills for a trait.

Overall its really surprising how anet often picks things to improve or cut for necro. Its tough thinking that some one or enough people on the balance team actively play it.

Its almost like the people who play other things fight necros or watch them without playing it and then balance necros based on what they think is making them strong or what is not making them strong. So its more so shots in the dark in most cases.

For example Death shroud buffsShroud skill 2 is a good Quality of life change or perhaps its a shadow nerf to how well the current version of the skill tracks, or perhaps the idea is that necros who use the blink function will have a longer cd than they had before originally

Skills 4 and 5 cd reduction cuts should have been done ages ago but the skills still wont be effective enough to make massive difference when used. They are still the same skills which means same results as they are now. Core dps wont improve, it wont be as solid as say core ranger, warrior, mesmer, guardian etc.Doom did not get any improvementsLife blast still needed a bit more for its slow cast.

Touched underwater skills that wont ever really be used.

They noted on a few other professions by saying things like "We have heard your concerns, or We have heard your feedback on etc etc" Yet with all the feedback they get for necro none of it gets followed through.

Sad.. but ill carry on necro is still my fav profession. Other things dont hold my attention as much.

The agility in shroud should be removed from onslaught and base reaper shroud just made faster so other traits can be used the agility can be moved to relentless pursuit or something like that so if we want healing in shroud blighters boon should be that option. Sould eater should then be reverted back to a life steal trait or health regen and then cold shoulder should chill duration be reverted back to 30% so its easier for power reapers to get chill uptime without using runes like ice. after removing the agility from onslaught it reduce the duration of reapers shroud itself by 20% since it will be harder to actually hit other players in pvp and pvers will get more time in shroud for dps.

I am convinced, at this point, that the balance discussion team is inclusive of at least one person who dislikes Necros so much that they become physically allergic to any timeline where Necro approaches even a semblance of sustainable. The moment it hits the threshold of not being absolutely free the moment it is out of life force, someone on the dev team has the hairs on the back of their neck stand on end and the next balance patch they remove it.

Every time they give necro a buff, however slight, the very next patch they undo that same buff by reworking in such a way that the buff is undone, or by overtly removing the change to the traits.

This happened with the change to Deathly Chill.Chilling Victory too.Happened with Soul Barbs and the respective removal of spectral skill cd reduction.Happened with cold shoulder.

Now soul eater. Slowly but surely, the overarching theme of these nerfs is "Necro cannot have sustain. Necros skill CDs cannot be reduced."Then you expect them to put up a fight against Mesmers, Warriors, Engineers....'

Look guys. If you want Reaper to be a glassy bursty thing, that's fine. but necros need at least some semblance of sustain that doesnt require them to jump through the very meticulous, playstyle shuttering hoops that the current Blood magic line affords them. Stop shaving their sustain and not giving anything back.

They noted on a few other professions by saying things like "We have heard your concerns, or We have heard your feedback on etc etc" Yet with all the feedback they get for necro none of it gets followed through.

This exactly!! This whole nerf patch is a joke and a giant middle finger to all reapers

Just tried the new Dark Pursuit and it fails easily in PvE so Arenanet failed, too. I had expected they would also have gotten rid of the claw and changed Dark Path back to its original teleport or, even better, used an arcing path with a fast travel speed to avoid elevation and obstruction issues along with opponents able to walk away.

I'm going to call this a bug. It is inconceivable they intended the skill to fail this much or they would have simply deleted it.

@Vancho.8750 said:Listen to this idea what if you get set amount of healing 200 hp per hit with icd of 1 second in melee range when wielding GS you get double the effect.

400 a second. A heal is usually 20-30s cd. 30 x 400 = 12,000 i think? So the possibility is ok, however 400 is a lot more than 10% per hit (or 5% i think the trait is) as normal hits average 2-3k i think. And take longer than 1 second to hit, if we take the 3k dmg, = 150 healing a second per foe. If this assuming you hit 2 foes per strike (approx 150-200 a second factoring in attack speed idk the exact maths by heart) is what anet believes it “too much survivability” I sadly think double that is to them also too much, HOWEVER if we factored in gravediggers 30k or so thats 1500 maybe which is nice but again 2 or so seconds, blah blah , overall nice “idea” however current is actually weaker on average so if you buff it (and by proxy make it healing power effected) that would make anet even more likely to say necros live too long. (You’d tjink on the Vitality 2x health bar caster they would WANT you to survive, since you do lower damage than other casters)

I understand that necro shouldn't benefit from direct heal while in shroud but nerfing the life steal from soul eater to make it mismatch other lifesteal effects only adds a bad taste to gameplay and shows a flaw in the class design.

I think that all traits/skills should follow the same logic so all lifesteal traits should either heal or not to heal during shroud. The nerf to Soul Eater was unneccesary but if Anet devs found that 5% lifesteal during shroud was too much, why didn't they just nerf it to 2%-3% inside and outside shroud or remove the healing altogether (because it's now so insignificant) instead of creating this confusion?

Regeneration by the way also have a similar issue: Necro have traits/skills that grant regen (Mark of Blood/Mark of Evasion) but the benefit from this self inflicted boon becomes useless during shroud. In many times, necros do not get full benefit from these supposedly "buff" so either remove regen from these traits OR make regen heal the necro work during shroud just as it works on barriers for scourge.

@Kuulpb.5412 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:Listen to this idea what if you get set amount of healing 200 hp per hit with icd of 1 second in melee range when wielding GS you get double the effect.

400 a second. A heal is usually 20-30s cd. 30 x 400 = 12,000 i think? So the possibility is ok, however 400 is a lot more than 10% per hit (or 5% i think the trait is) as normal hits average 2-3k i think. And take longer than 1 second to hit, if we take the 3k dmg, = 150 healing a second per foe. If this assuming you hit 2 foes per strike (approx 150-200 a second factoring in attack speed idk the exact maths by heart) is what anet believes it “too much survivability” I sadly think double that is to them also too much, HOWEVER if we factored in gravediggers 30k or so thats 1500 maybe which is nice but again 2 or so seconds, blah blah , overall nice “idea” however current is actually weaker on average so if you buff it (and by proxy make it healing power effected) that would make anet even more likely to say necros live too long. (You’d tjink on the Vitality 2x health bar caster they would WANT you to survive, since you do lower damage than other casters)

Well the old gs trait was healing 200 per second and gave 2% LF in combat, the rework felt worse and the only reason it was better was the heal in shroud since the 5% heal from out healed for around 50 to 140 hp and the necromancer doesn't have really that great weapons to use with this trait. GS is too slow for the trait in pvp and the trait is somewhat useless in pve since the time it can be optimal, when the boss is under 50% hp and gravedigger is spammed with all the boons you are healed by the support.I checked other leach and options on necro and they are horrible, dagger leach is worthless 400 per hit, signet the same, passive the same, they are just dps increase.They don't want the leach to be good, the only option to keep your hp up is the shroud but it is on 10s cd, so it has to be supported but it can't be supported that well cause the shroud, too many draw backs for little pay off. I enjoy it, when once in a while stars align and you get to the the play where you kill the whole opposing team, but outside of that i feel like i'm handicapping myself.I know that people left and were laid off and starting idea was probably forgotten, but can they have idea what the main goal of the elite specialization, what makes it special, not the gimmicks and the flashy stuff but the practical effects, what is it good at and why would anyone take you in a fractal, raid or pvp over someone else.

@Vancho.8750 said:

Well the old gs trait was healing 200 per second and gave 2% LF in combat, the rework felt worse and the only reason it was better was the heal in shroud since the 5% heal from out healed for around 50 to 140 hp and the necromancer doesn't have really that great weapons to use with this trait. GS is too slow for the trait in pvp and the trait is somewhat useless in pve since the time it can be optimal, when the boss is under 50% hp and gravedigger is spammed with all the boons you are healed by the support.I checked other leach and options on necro and they are horrible, dagger leach is worthless 400 per hit, signet the same, passive the same, they are just dps increase.They don't want the leach to be good, the only option to keep your hp up is the shroud but it is on 10s cd, so it has to be supported but it can't be supported that well cause the shroud, too many draw backs for little pay off. I enjoy it, when once in a while stars align and you get to the the play where you kill the whole opposing team, but outside of that i feel like i'm handicapping myself.I know that people left and were laid off and starting idea was probably forgotten, but can they have idea what the main goal of the elite specialization, what makes it special, not the gimmicks and the flashy stuff but the practical effects, what is it good at and why would anyone take you in a fractal, raid or pvp over someone else.

With optimal damage build even your normal AA hits should do more than 10k in PvE. You would have to run some low damage build to only heal 50-140 hp. It was stupidly strong in both organized and open world content. Are you really telling me you are only dealing 1k-2.8k dps out of shroud in raids for it to heal 50-140 hp? Have you ever seen a proper reaper rotation? Gravedigger is not spammed as all it does is replacing your autoattack. You still go through the rotation. I have a strong feeling a lot of people are just not understanding how strong it was due to the poor builds that are being played.

Also old gs trait was 200 hp per second and 0.5% LF while you are wielding a GS. You never really camp GS in PvP and in PvE it means nothing. The 20% cd reduction was more the true factor and that only really matters in PvP.

As for the niche, in pvp reaper is by far one of the most dangerous class to leave alive due to how much damage you do. That's your niche. In PvE it is an easy class to get on and do well with decent damage and strong cc utility. Most similar class would be power holosmith.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

With optimal damage build even your normal AA hits should do more than 10k in PvE. You would have to run some low damage build to only heal 50-140 hp. It was stupidly strong in both organized and open world content. Are you really telling me you are only dealing 1k-2.8k dps out of shroud in raids for it to heal 50-140 hp? Have you ever seen a proper reaper rotation? Gravedigger is not spammed as all it does is replacing your autoattack. You still go through the rotation. I have a strong feeling a lot of people are just not understanding how strong it was due to the poor builds that are being played.

Also old gs trait was 200 hp per second and 0.5% LF while you are wielding a GS. You never really camp GS in PvP and in PvE it means nothing. The 20% cd reduction was more the true factor and that only really matters in PvP.50 to 140 for pvp, who the hell cares how much you heal in PVE, no one can be bothered to heal your ass popping in and out of shroud, get a berserker does the same and it is not being a princes about it. Old trait was better at that you had 2000 hp healed before entering shroud again and helped somewhat in kiting.Some people around here just want to argue for the sake of it and go for the tiniest of crap. If you read up i care more about the pvp side of things in pve you can be healed way easier so having great self healing is not something that useful.

@Vancho.8750 said:

Also old gs trait was 200 hp per second and 0.5% LF while you are wielding a GS. You never really camp GS in PvP and in PvE it means nothing. The 20% cd reduction was more the true factor and that only really matters in PvP.50 to 140 for pvp, who the hell cares how much you heal in PVE, no one can be bothered to heal your kitten popping in and out of shroud, get a berserker does the same and it is not being a princes about it. Old trait was better at that you had 2000 hp healed before entering shroud again and helped somewhat in kiting.Some people around here just want to argue for the sake of it and go for the tiniest of kitten. If you read up i care more about the pvp side of things in pve you can be healed way easier so having great self healing is not something that useful.

Then you need to word it better, I was more referring to since it sounded like you had no idea what you were talking about in PvE.

the trait is somewhat useless in pve since the time it can be optimal, when the boss is under 50% hp and gravedigger is spammed with all the boons you are healed by the support.

You were never instantly healed up by the support, it also encouraged the laziness play style of "who cares if I get hit, I am just going to shroud at 20% and heal it back up". It was such a crutch that playing it makes the class feel invincible in PvE which is not good.

In PvP, you would have to kite with a gs for 10 seconds for this to heal 2000 hp, 2000 hp is not even enough to heal you from 1 hit. Even when you are kiting I would never run around with a GS, the most I would do is drop a nightfall and run away with warhorn due to swiftness and the axe 3 so I can counter pressure while running. You used it for the 20% cd reduction and that's it. In fact the common build didn't use gs at all at the time, it was staff + axe/warhorn. Decimate Defense was better in most situations in PvP. It was just a mediocre trait at the very best and bad at the very worst.

The new SE is in the same position, DD is just better. You want sustain? Do you know what you should suggest them buffing? Blighter's boon and death magic. Both are defense trait/line that has fallen out of place. There was some meme when 2 charge BIP was introduced so you can get 30LF with blighter's boon at the start so there's working room given more updates. Soul eater is one of those traits that offered both offense and defense which I think is bad overall for the game. You really don't want one trait to do it all for the most cases. When's the last time people run chilling victory in PvP? How about we try playing around with that instead of pooling everything into one place.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

Also old gs trait was 200 hp per second and 0.5% LF while you are wielding a GS. You never really camp GS in PvP and in PvE it means nothing. The 20% cd reduction was more the true factor and that only really matters in PvP.50 to 140 for pvp, who the hell cares how much you heal in PVE, no one can be bothered to heal your kitten popping in and out of shroud, get a berserker does the same and it is not being a princes about it. Old trait was better at that you had 2000 hp healed before entering shroud again and helped somewhat in kiting.Some people around here just want to argue for the sake of it and go for the tiniest of kitten. If you read up i care more about the pvp side of things in pve you can be healed way easier so having great self healing is not something that useful.

Then you need to word it better, I was more referring to since it sounded like you had no idea what you were talking about in PvE.

the trait is somewhat useless in pve since the time it can be optimal, when the boss is under 50% hp and gravedigger is spammed with all the boons you are healed by the support.

You were never instantly healed up by the support, it also encouraged the laziness play style of "who cares if I get hit, I am just going to shroud at 20% and heal it back up". It was such a crutch that playing it makes the class feel invincible in PvE which is not good.

In PvP, you would have to kite with a gs for 10 seconds for this to heal 2000 hp, 2000 hp is not even enough to heal you from 1 hit. Even when you are kiting I would never run around with a GS, the most I would do is drop a nightfall and run away with warhorn due to swiftness and the axe 3 so I can counter pressure while running. You used it for the 20% cd reduction and that's it. In fact the common buld didn't use gs at all at the time, it was staff + axe/warhorn. Decimate Defense was better in most situations in PvP. It was just a mediocre trait at the very best and bad at the very.

The new SE is in the same position, DD is just better. You want sustain? Do you know what you should suggest them buffing? Blighter's boon and death magic. Both are defense trait/line that has fallen out of place. There was some meme when 2 charge BIP was introduced so you can get 30LF with blighter's boon at the start so there's working room given more updates. Soul eater is one of those traits that offered both offense and defense which I think is bad overall for the game. You really don't want one trait to do it all for the most cases. When's the last time people run chilling victory in PvP? How about we try playing around with that instead of pooling everything into one place.Power on necro is all over the place, whole rework on death magic would be good, but i don't like the minions, for many people they are a crutch, for me they are liability. The damage modifiers make it barely just good enough for the drawbacks, passive defenses would not help much reaper in pvp. The traits in the same row are kinda bad for power reaper since it can't get much value out of them, everyone is prepared for mirage, and scourge and applying enough chill and vuln on everything that is supper charged is not easy and the task is not worth the effort, they have to be kept up and covered and that is just moving to hybrid or condition reaper. Your defense is the damage you pull to scare people off and you have make everything count and make it count now. If the game slows down and with little tweeks they will see play, but with everything that is now running around, it is kill or get killed and that little bit of hp that you got in shroud helped enough to not let you die from the random conditions flying around.

@wickedkae.4980 said:Why is Reaper even in the game? At this point it is obvious that the devs have no clue what a REAL necromancer is supposed to be. This is just pathetic. Remove the reaper, it literally is useless.

Hyperbole much??? It's not useless, far from it. Just because it's not invulnerable and doesn't do 2103910451234123254764k dps doesn't mean it's useless.

Reaper is actually tremendously fun to play. Great cleave, good CC, and good damage if you know how to play it and don't face tank everything under the sun, and IS viable in every game mode. And for the PvPers who are complaining....I personally never managed to land enough damage for any significant amount of healing in PvP because either shroud gets demolished, or your adversaries are dead by the time you're finished. If it's not your playstyle, fine, but don't come spouting nonsense like this.

Look, I concur with everyone that this was a silly nerf that wasn't needed. It was a very nice thing to have and yes it did act practically as another heal with enemies about in PvE. But...IT DOES NOT BREAK THE CLASS. The biggest complaint the community has about necromancer players is how we're so used to our safety nets in PvE, so used to face tanking that when the time comes to doing mechanics we're bad because of it. Soul Eater simply engendered this passivity further in a lot of these face tanking Reapers...as clearly shown by some of these comments. But anyways that's neither here nor there. We had a cake (in the form of a dps boost) and a cherry on top (the healing) with Soul Eater. Now we just have the cake.

In essence; does this nerf suck? Yes. Does it make Reaper useless/unsurvivable/impossible to play with? Hell no.

@Vancho.8750 said:Power on necro is all over the place, whole rework on death magic would be good, but i don't like the minions, for many people they are a crutch, for me they are liability. The damage modifiers make it barely just good enough for the drawbacks, passive defenses would not help much reaper in pvp. The traits in the same row are kinda bad for power reaper since it can't get much value out of them, everyone is prepared for mirage, and scourge and applying enough chill and vuln on everything that is supper charged is not easy and the task is not worth the effort, they have to be kept up and covered and that is just moving to hybrid or condition reaper. Your defense is the damage you pull to scare people off and you have make everything count and make it count now. If the game slows down and with little tweeks they will see play, but with everything that is now running around, it is kill or get killed and that little bit of hp that you got in shroud helped enough to not let you die from the random conditions flying around.

This is part of the problem. In PVE (casual play) I play a minion builds. I enjoy minion builds and always main them. This includes: D3, WOW, RIFT, and more. It is what I enjoy. That is the whole reason I rolled a Necro main, is I can have a near permanent minion build when I'm just doing PVE content. They need to be very careful what they do with Death. You get rid of the buffed minions, I now lost why I rolled a Necro in the first place. I am sure I'm not alone. I also don't find it a crutch, as I could easily switch to a power build and kill things faster in PVE...

I just wouldn't enjoy it.

It might be a stupid idea....

Each minion gives you +.5% Damage. This will help death damage a bit without need for a complete rewrite. Now things like Rise can be a DPS cooldown, and could make some interesting minion based builds possibly viable in Fractals.

.5% might be a little low. Still if you can keep 20 minions up, you have 10% increase in damage. So keeping minions up becomes part of the game-play. 1% might be a little to much, but it might be behind enough to justify it?