Smoke screen is amazing — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Smoke screen is amazing

foste.3098foste.3098 Member ✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2019 in Thief

With the update smoke screen is now a 240 radius, 7 second duration smoke field that pulses blindness each second to enemies that are in the circle, basically making it a utility skill version of 2013 black powder.
Seriously the damage mitigation this thing offers is superb and the combo potential is also high, my favorite being with staff; it gives staff access to hook strike as well as having insane synergy with punishing strikes and weakening charge as both those throw out more blinds on top of the pulsing blinds of the field meaning even fast attacks will fail to hit you, i had a revenant miss his entire aa chain because i was aa'ing him within the smoke field.
It is a simple skill and i think ppl will sleep on it because beforehand it was not any good and because the new and shiny thief portal is getting all the attention.

Comments

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019

muahahahahha

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭

Smoke Field and Deadeye stupid good.

Considering almost all Rifle skills are projectile finishers, yu basically keep a dude perma blinded.

Shame, it's not exactly the Assassins Creed Smoke screen I would love which visually blinds the enemy as well but that would be too powerful.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• babazhook.6805babazhook.6805 Member ✭✭✭✭

Especially nice on DE with the Hidden theif trait for lower cooldown on deceptions. You get 7 seconds smokescreen every 20 seconds and can also use the old version from a kneel in between

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is actually the first time I've had a reason to swap out one of my util slot skills. I use smoke screen more than SoA now.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019

I actually dropped stealth utilities entirely, since I don't need to hide anymore and I can still blast/leap Smoke Screen if needed. Being able to face threats head-on as a Thief after this update honestly feels really good.

Daisuki[SUKI] Founder | Mains Mariyuuna | ♀♥♀
    Akarissa, Auratashi, Hanamariko, Kanasuki, Kokonomori, Korisaki, Manakuro, Sarehtori, Terakura, Yukianna
    Alice Ryven, Alisha Kei, Baxia Tres, Caelia Flamestrike, Kiryka Darkwillow, Rikka Rowe, Tawni Rosemary, Thea Lux

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

Btw, friends at anet, don't you dare change the animation of char using smokescreen, I like looking like im sliding (for reals haha)

• kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭✭

I still probably want to keep that slot for Blinding Powder but that is an awesome improvement I didn't expect for a utility.

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL]

• AikijinX.6258AikijinX.6258 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019

I thought Smoke screen would be flying under the radar, but i'm glad people are actually recognizing how great a utility it is now to have. I'm working on a new build currently that utilizes it.

GW2 I'm back ^_^

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's ok. Nothing amazing.

• Ustaf.2953Ustaf.2953 Member ✭✭

Also traited smokescreen + HS OR Cluster bomb alone is enough to permastealth with stealth on heal

• Zacchary.6183Zacchary.6183 Member ✭✭✭

I've asked for this forever. <3

• Documental.5946Documental.5946 Member ✭✭
    edited August 5, 2019

for/10char

• foste.3098foste.3098 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019

@Documental.5946 said:
    Not to sound like a hater as I just got done with a 5 hour campaign of WvW ^^

But I wasn't aware thieves needed even more access to stealth...

It's not about the stealth, the major thing is that it pulses blind in a 240 radius circle each second making melee attacking the thief in it extremely difficult and it block projectiles meaning the thief is more or less damage immune for 7 seconds baring really fast attacks or if the opponent has resistance.
    I am just happy that there are enough good utility skills now that you actually have choices and trade offs to make.

• Documental.5946Documental.5946 Member ✭✭
    edited August 5, 2019

for/10char

• Straegen.2938Straegen.2938 Member ✭✭✭

@kash.9213 said:
    I still probably want to keep that slot for Blinding Powder but that is an awesome improvement I didn't expect for a utility.

Until smoke field gets a stun break or stab, BP is vastly superior IMO.

• AsiraasiB.7165AsiraasiB.7165 Member ✭✭✭

@Straegen.2938 said:

@kash.9213 said:

Until smoke field gets a stun break or stab, BP is vastly superior IMO.

Naw been playing with smoke screen.. Its the best... Most thieves have 3 stunbreaks pluz ports and passive.. Try it

• Exitus.3297Exitus.3297 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2019

I've personally always saw Smoke Screen as a low-key busted skill if you looked at what it did. It was basically an overpowered version of Black Powder with a 25 second cooldown and projectile deflection to boot. The only issue with it was the fact it was a line on the ground, so there was no practical use for it (in PvP).

Now that it's a ring, I immediately knew it was going to see some use. It's a very strong skill. I don't doubt that ANet is going to increase the cooldown on it very soon to be more in line with the Necromancer's Well of Darkness. I say this because Well of Darkness functions similarly without the benefit of projectile deflection and being on a 35 second cooldown (although it can be traited for protection and life siphon so there's that).

EDIT: Specified things that seemed too vague.

• Straegen.2938Straegen.2938 Member ✭✭✭

@AsiraasiB.7165 said:
    Naw been playing with smoke screen.. Its the best... Most thieves have 3 stunbreaks pluz ports and passive.. Try it

Most thieves don't have 3 stunbreaks. Most run Shadow Step which is two technically but share a cooldown and maybe Acro, Roll for Initiative, Bandits or Blinding Powder. I have tried it and find it doesn't fill any holes in any of the builds I run. I also haven't found many thieves running it either.

• AsiraasiB.7165AsiraasiB.7165 Member ✭✭✭

@Straegen.2938 said:

@AsiraasiB.7165 said:

Most thieves don't have 3 stunbreaks. Most run Shadow Step which is two technically but share a cooldown and maybe Acro, Roll for Initiative, Bandits or Blinding Powder. I have tried it and find it doesn't fill any holes in any of the builds I run. I also haven't found many thieves running it either.

I run rfi shadowstep and daggerstorm or acro guess thats just me..

• @Documental.5946 said:

@foste.3098 said:

It's not about the stealth, the major thing is that it pulses blind in a 240 radius circle each second making melee attacking the thief in it extremely difficult and it block projectiles meaning the thief is more or less damage immune for 7 seconds baring really fast attacks or if the opponent has resistance.
    I am just happy that there are enough good utility skills now that you actually have choices and trade offs to make.

Oh no I'm aware. It's what makes this rather frustrating. Thief now has stealth and blind in such abundance and often from the same source it can be extremely taxing trying to even land a single hit on them. Honestly how am I suppose to deal with thieves unless I'm playing Ranger, Dragonhunter, or Spellbreaker? Nobody else really seems to have an adequate amount of tools to properly deal with some of these builds I've seen. Most of the kills I did get was because I was able to 'mind-game' some aoe attacks on them.

Scrapper had this potential as well, and I'm not gonna say they probably weren't a little too good at it, but I think I'm starting to understand some of the frustration Anet gets on this forum. They seemingly decided to both buff stealth and nerf anti-stealth in the same patch... I'm shocked Cloaked in Shadow didn't get an icd.

Stealth already provides a disadvantage in WvW around the mark towers you have to give up quite a bit of positioning for it. That and if you stay in stealth too long it ends up costing you pressure and the enemy getting all their abilities off cooldown. Simply trying to put AoEs down and using AA and an occasional dodge allows for some counterplay against it as well. The thing about the blind field is the thief can use it to keep the pressure up or just stealth again to gap close but the ideal thing to do in the situation if you are not the thief is to run back even with the 50% movement speed in stealth that thief isn't gonna catch up to land his backstab without wasting ports that could potentially cost the thief a stun break/DPS you just have to play positioning with a SA thief kite back to towers keep moving don't be a sitting duck. Anyways that's all I wanted to share is the things SA thieves will struggle with when faced against.

• Jugglemonkey.8741Jugglemonkey.8741 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just got round to playing this recently and it's actually really, really good. With SA for the cooldown reduction trait and adventurer runes you can just about permastealth off dodges, heals and using death's retreat through smoke screen, which means I can ditch D/P entirely and take S/x without losing any stealth uptime which is brilliant. The projectile block is obviously amazing. I used to run binding shadow, shadowstep and RFI but I think smoke screen is actually more useful than binding shadow for matchups you don't expect to oneshot with the knockdown, since rending shade now provides AoE fear which means with an absorption sigil you still get the hard cc and boonsteal. Really impressed with it tbh.

Critical Kit, Deadeye.
    “If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.” - John Steinbeck

• Joshewwah.2956Joshewwah.2956 Member ✭✭
    edited July 27, 2019

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:
    Just got round to playing this recently and it's actually really, really good. With SA for the cooldown reduction trait and adventurer runes you can just about permastealth off dodges, heals and using death's retreat through smoke screen, which means I can ditch D/P entirely and take S/x without losing any stealth uptime which is brilliant. The projectile block is obviously amazing. I used to run binding shadow, shadowstep and RFI but I think smoke screen is actually more useful than binding shadow for matchups you don't expect to oneshot with the knockdown, since rending shade now provides AoE fear which means with an absorption sigil you still get the hard cc and boonsteal. Really impressed with it tbh.

Rending shade is only melee and how do you use rifle 4 to stack lots of stealth? It has high initiative cost in wvw/pvp

• Zacchary.6183Zacchary.6183 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2019

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Rending shade is only melee and how do you use rifle 4 to stack lots of stealth? It has high initiative cost in wvw/pvp

Rifle 4 is a leap finisher, Kneel 4 is a Smoke Field.
    Basically you place smokescreen down on a wall and spam rifle 4.

• @Zacchary.6183 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

I know that but I cant imagine you getting lots of stacks unless you're taking trickery

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

I know that but I cant imagine you getting lots of stacks unless you're taking trickery

I am taking trickery as I'm focussing more on boonrip and interrupts over raw spike damage in this build. I feel deadeye damage is already high enough, and going CS only really works for solo capping towers, for against enemies that don't know you're there already, or if you're defending a keep from a wall by picking off scourges, all situations where assassin's signet would be a better choice than smoke screen (honestly most of the extra damage on CS builds is due to this signet). I also don't like playing D/P offhand on deadeye as I don't feel it adds as much as S/x, and in general trickery is more useful to sword builds than CS. Personal preferences, but those are my reasons.

Smoke screen lasts 7 seconds which means you get 4 uses of death's retreat in that time assuming you start with 15 initiative. Sure, it's less useable in combat for stealth, but I still have stealth from mark, stolen items and elite so that's a non issue.

Rending shade being melee is great with smoke screen as most enemies will attempt to close the gap on a rifle deadeye, so that plus sniper's cover destroying projectiles generally forces melee. When they do enter melee you dodge for stealth, lay smoke screen and use death's judgement point blank. That either forces dodges and cooldowns or means they take massive damage, have boons ripped, and if they have no stab they get feared away and blinded from smoke screen. If they stay melee you can swap to S/x and be pretty safe between dodges and blinds, and if they kite out of smoke screen you can stay on rifle bud malice, knowing that smoke screen will destroy projectiles. The main classes that can counter this are classes with high damage ranged AoE like ele and scourge, but deadeye already counters these classes.

Obviously this won't work for all matchups (holo) and all circumstances (invuln) but it is still very, very good.

Critical Kit, Deadeye.

• @Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

I am taking trickery as I'm focussing more on boonrip and interrupts over raw spike damage in this build. I feel deadeye damage is already high enough, and going CS only really works for solo capping towers, for against enemies that don't know you're there already, or if you're defending a keep from a wall by picking off scourges, all situations where assassin's signet would be a better choice than smoke screen (honestly most of the extra damage on CS builds is due to this signet). I also don't like playing D/P offhand on deadeye as I don't feel it adds as much as S/x, and in general trickery is more useful to sword builds than CS. Personal preferences, but those are my reasons.

Smoke screen lasts 7 seconds which means you get 4 uses of death's retreat in that time assuming you start with 15 initiative. Sure, it's less useable in combat for stealth, but I still have stealth from mark, stolen items and elite so that's a non issue.

Rending shade being melee is great with smoke screen as most enemies will attempt to close the gap on a rifle deadeye, so that plus sniper's cover destroying projectiles generally forces melee. When they do enter melee you dodge for stealth, lay smoke screen and use death's judgement point blank. That either forces dodges and cooldowns or means they take massive damage, have boons ripped, and if they have no stab they get feared away and blinded from smoke screen. If they stay melee you can swap to S/x and be pretty safe between dodges and blinds, and if they kite out of smoke screen you can stay on rifle bud malice, knowing that smoke screen will destroy projectiles. The main classes that can counter this are classes with high damage ranged AoE like ele and scourge, but deadeye already counters these classes.

Obviously this won't work for all matchups (holo) and all circumstances (invuln) but it is still very, very good.

What do you do against when they pressure you from ranged?

• foste.3098foste.3098 Member ✭✭✭

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

Smoke screen blocks projectiles, last 7 seconds, and has a cd of 20 when traited (and this is the same trait that gives stealth on mark, and reduces the cd of shadow step and hide in shadows so you are traiting for it without question).
    You are literally immune to ranged damage given that you can chain smoke screen and sniper's cover, you even asking this makes me question if you ever bothered to read what the skill does let alone play test it.

@foste.3098 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

Smoke screen blocks projectiles, last 7 seconds, and has a cd of 20 when traited (and this is the same trait that gives stealth on mark, and reduces the cd of shadow step and hide in shadows so you are traiting for it without question).
    You are literally immune to ranged damage given that you can chain smoke screen and sniper's cover, you even asking this makes me question if you ever bothered to read what the skill does let alone play test it.

What foste said pretty much. It's much better than you think it is, trust me. Wouldn't be surprised if staff daredevils started taking it in PvP.

Critical Kit, Deadeye.

• kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

It sounds like we have nearly the same build and and similar use of it if not a different aim, except I rarely find myself stacking stealth apart from a quick double hold DR to drop squad focus for a few seconds. I do like the idea of smoke screen to bring it all close to mess around in though too save Initiative, I like Snipers Cover for roll and shoot but that gets costly if I have to keep it up.

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL]

• Curennos.9307Curennos.9307 Member ✭✭✭

It's nice to have underused utilities buffed, but this one is starting to feel like warr's Bull Charge - overloaded because it HAS to be, otherwise it's useless in the current state of the game.

Still, I'm curious to see how well it could work with d/p and the blind-on-stealth trait. Blindsfordaaaaaays.

• saerni.2584saerni.2584 Member ✭✭✭✭

Unblockable projectiles. Ranged Non-projectiles. Resistance with melee attacks.

There are clear counters and Smoke Screen is less easy to hide than Black Powder. Still, a welcome buff to an under used skill.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
    Deadeye (Thief)
    Commandant of P/D and Apex Predator

• Turk.5460Turk.5460 Member ✭✭✭✭

Smoke Screen is fantastic against Holosmiths and Rangers. The quick pulse allows for some hefty blinds. Been using it against holosmiths when they go into PF, and they just can't seem to understand why they're not blowing up a Thief haha.

Fort Aspenwood
    Jekkies

• Kallist.5917Kallist.5917 Member ✭✭✭

I really do love it, its become one of 3 skills I swap in and out of my utility bar, but the projectile blocking doesnt seem to work quite right. With enough pressure, projectiles slip though it. Friends and I were testing it in the Guild Hall Arena the other night.

• Oldgrimm.8521Oldgrimm.8521 Member ✭✭✭

Specially in team fights this new smoke screen is so good, also in stalling a point for 7 secs

My biggest gripe with Smoke Screen however is its 1/2 cast time. When other professions get PLENTY of much stronger utility abilities that are:

• Usable while stunned
    • 1/4s or No Cast Time

Fort Aspenwood
    Jekkies

Haha I love it

Fort Aspenwood
    Jekkies

• UNOwen.7132UNOwen.7132 Member ✭✭✭

@Turk.5460 said:
    Haha I love it

Yknow, its still funny to me that every time you see a Deadeye in WvW that knows what he is doing, they simply never kneel because skirmishing shot is the best skill to use. Which feels wrong, but three-round burst is bad ever since the nerfs I guess.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.