Can Chrono's still tank with these new changes or is Firebrand the new tank?

So 3 questionsBest tank for pugs?and best tank for normal raiding?

I mostly work with pugs so knowing which tank is the best in that settings would interest me a lotAnd the question on how to chrono with these new changesBefore you could distort with shatter to give your allies aegis for teleports/gorse knockbacks and other mechanicsThat can only be done with the 2 signets inspiration and ether?And which shatter should be focused on when you support and which when you tank?

I dont chrono all that much but I do wish to know what to do when it is asked of meHope you guys can help me master the ways of the Chrono

Chrono can still perform his core functions, it has merely become even more tedious to do so.

The net result will be, as with every past patch:

• less chronos seeing play
  • more mistakes from chronos
  • more waiting on chronos
  • more toxicity in the raiding community due to longer wait times

The main issue remains, it is a lot easier to find class mirrors (2 chronos, 2 druids) over 4 unique classes (chrono, druid, renegade, firebrand).

@Cyninja.2954 said:Chrono can still perform his core functions, it has merely become even more tedious to do so.

The main issue remains, it is a lot easier to find class mirrors (2 chronos, 2 druids) over 4 unique classes (chrono, druid, renegade, firebrand).

I do not understand this. In any other mmo -> sure. Leveling another healer in ESO is a pain. In GW2 though? Ridiculously easy. At least for the heal or tank supporter slots - you dont even need ascended. Just exotic is already enough.Limiting factor in gw2 really is only amount of character slots.And then... learning to play the new supporter... honestly, thats not even the least bit difficult. You already should know each fight anyway - as experienced raider - and rest is just knowing your skills/traits. Theres no real rotation apart from an opening on supporters in gw2. After that its using the correct skills to counter certain mechanics, and pressing skills that give boons on cooldown. Done.

@Rico.6873 said:So 3 questionsBest tank for pugs?On every boss except Deimos it literally doesnt matter which class tanks in pugs. You just need high toughness, sufficient self-healing and condi remove. Insisting on chronotank just limits your LFG. Easiest to tank on is Chrono/Firebrand/Renegade/Revenant. Ive tanked every boss on minstrel druid, its not exactly easy if you are single healer, but with a 2nd healer it really shouldnt be an issue.

@Rico.6873 said:and best tank for normal raiding?Chrono. Because it can still tank best with lowest toughness.

@Rico.6873 said:Before you could distort with shatter to give your allies aegis for teleports/gorse knockbacks and other mechanicsThat can only be done with the 2 signets inspiration and ether?Now you keep your healsignet ready for that, correct. Or in a static with pretty much fixed phasetimings you can alternate with SoI. In pugs I wouldnt bother with delaying SoI for aegis share.

@Rico.6873 said:And which shatter should be focused on when you support and which when you tank?F1 for power offchrono, f2 for condi chrono, f3 for all chronos for cc. Actually, in pugs cc is the most important one. Fast cc phases ensure a fast kill - especially so in pugs.

@Yasi.9065 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Chrono can still perform his core functions, it has merely become even more tedious to do so.

I do not understand this. In any other mmo -> sure. Leveling another healer in ESO is a pain. In GW2 though? Ridiculously easy. At least for the heal or tank supporter slots - you dont even need ascended. Just exotic is already enough.Limiting factor in gw2 really is only amount of character slots.And then... learning to play the new supporter... honestly, thats not even the least bit difficult. You already should know each fight anyway - as experienced raider - and rest is just knowing your skills/traits. Theres no real rotation apart from an opening on supporters in gw2. After that its using the correct skills to counter certain mechanics, and pressing skills that give boons on cooldown. Done.

You are applying your own approach to the game to everyone (yes, I too play multiple classes). The reality is: many players do not, and neither do they have good enough an understanding of mechanics to simply switch.

Ideally yes, people would switch to a new character, put in some practice and go with that. The LFG and demand for chronos suggests otherwise. People being creatures of habit are clinging to chrono as much as they can.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

You are applying your own approach to the game to everyone (yes, I too play multiple classes). The reality is: many players do not, and neither do they have good enough an understanding of mechanics to simply switch.

Ideally yes, people would switch to a new character, put in some practice and go with that. The LFG and demand for chronos suggests otherwise. People being creatures of habit are clinging to chrono as much as they can.

I think the non-modular nature of party compositions also really slows down the process of metas changing too. A player who wants to try firebrand can't just join a group that needs a chrono and perform the same job. At least one other player in the group needs to change to accommodate it. When I want to practice a new dps build, I just join some pugs (usually training raids bc more wipes = more pulls) and try it out there. Then if I like it, I'll play it in my static. Its not so simple with a booner.

@thrag.9740 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:

I think the non-modular nature of party compositions also really slows down the process of metas changing too. A player who wants to try firebrand can't just join a group that needs a chrono and perform the same job. At least one other player in the group needs to change to accommodate it. When I want to practice a new dps build, I just join some pugs (usually training raids bc more wipes = more pulls) and try it out there. Then if I like it, I'll play it in my static. Its not so simple with a booner.

Oh I agree, I was also not disagreeing with Yasi. I WISH, players would adapt more and broaden the class pool they played, it would have so many beneficial effects on the game (first and foremost less "nerf this, nerf that" whinning). I just don't think the reality reflects this sentiment.

Damage builds are only seperated into condi and power (and even both of those work for any fight, it's just some are better. They can all do the damage needed).

Support builds are different:

• you need to have a composition which provides all necessary boons (at the very least the 4 damage boons)
  • you need to work around 5 and 10 player skill caps on skills
  • on bosses with tank, you need someone who can tank (which in PUG and not pro statics goes to a support build)
  • you need just the right class since not all classes are able to provide boons
  • often have more responsibility or are required to do mechanics

It's a way bigger hassle to get a support structure setup than finding the necessary damage dealers.

Chrono with its role compression was making some of this easier. Now don't get me wrong, we can't have chrono do all the work for all times (having furhter unique class benefits to playing say a tank). I just doubt we will see any shift away until chrono is made completely unviable. Until then we will see a steady decline in players willing to play chrono (who can blame them when the alternative is way easier and better) and groups waiting on some chrono to bless them instead of making a new setup.

@Yasi.9065 said:

Speaking as someone who used to raid as a Chrono, the reason you'd probably see the result described is that a lot of people are just sick of the class getting reworked every patch. Having to figure out what the new version of an ideal chrono raid build every few months is a pain and having to get used to new skills/keybinds/rotations while still being spot on with mechanics is also stressful since other people in the group can often miss mechanics without causing a wipe.

But I also just never liked Chrono mechanics in the first place. I never enjoyed the boon rotation, even throughout all the changes that I explored after patches, because trying to fit a million casts in the window of Continuum Split was never enjoyable. It's hard to describe, but while I enjoy a challenge, the type of challenge from chrono always felt like a chore.

Either way, I can totally understand how patches make people stuck in chrono jail frustrated enough to call it quits.

@"Tiviana.2650" said:I want to tank on a scourge, im bored with chrono chrono chrono. We need more variety or it gets old and stale, this meta for everything is getting old. It cuts out half the player characters.

And it doesn't help that almost everyone has the "only chrono can tank"-attitude even if you offer to tank as 2nd healer.Like Kitty often rants, people rather fail many times due to for ex. tank chrono getting ported 3 times in VG's every phase than let a competent tank of some other class get the job done.

@LadyKitty.6120 said:

@"Tiviana.2650" said:I want to tank on a scourge, im bored with chrono chrono chrono. We need more variety or it gets old and stale, this meta for everything is getting old. It cuts out half the player characters.

And it doesn't help that almost everyone has the "only chrono can tank"-attitude even if you offer to tank as 2nd healer.Like Kitty often rants, people rather fail many times due to for ex. tank chrono getting ported 3 times in VG's every phase than let a competent tank of some other class get the job done.

Since some people seem to find this impossible to parse, here's my paraphrase:

And it doesn't help that almost everyone has the "only chrono can tank"-attitude even if you offer to tank as 2nd healer.

Like [above poster] often rants, people rather fail many times due to for [example] tank chrono getting ported 3 times in VG's every phase than let a competent tank of some other class get the job done.

@Rico.6873 said:So 3 questionsBest tank for pugs?and best tank for normal raiding?

I mostly work with pugs so knowing which tank is the best in that settings would interest me a lotAnd the question on how to chrono with these new changesBefore you could distort with shatter to give your allies aegis for teleports/gorse knockbacks and other mechanicsThat can only be done with the 2 signets inspiration and ether?And which shatter should be focused on when you support and which when you tank?

I dont chrono all that much but I do wish to know what to do when it is asked of meHope you guys can help me master the ways of the Chrono

Chrono hasn't been much affected in Raid:

-Shatter change doesn't really matter, you do less damage as you cannot shatter during your continuum split and that you mostly want to prioritise F1 over trying to shatter F1 + F2-Some mechanics became significantly harder: Distorting on certain boss became harder (Gorseval + KC) you previously would just hit F4. Otherwise on Dhuum, you would previously dodge + F4 in Dhuum hitbox after split phase as tank. You can't do that anymore.-You'd still want a chrono to extend boons from other class. Whilst Firebrand is becoming more and more popular in Raids, If you have a Chrono in your party you don't need any Diviner piece on your Firebrand.-Power Chrono has been significantly nerfed, so I'm not sure how much this is affecting dps rotation from the chrono. Prior to patch with an alacagade in your group Boon chrono would be 18-20k dps target. I doubt you can get those numbers anymore.-Tanking wise, Chrono is still superior than FB when it comes to tanking. That is low toughness tanking though (example VG tanking with 1005 toughness, Chrono can distort himself and therefore not die from green mechanic while FB cannot and will need to run higher toughness). Minstrel Firebrand will however be much better than a Minstrel Chrono. You don't really need Minstrel gear on any boss except SH maybe, and if you're taking minstrel gear on any other boss it's probably because you don't want to be bothered with mitigating the damage with blocks + evades, in which case a Minstrel Firebrand will be much better at sustaining himself than a chrono. Minstrel Firebrand on Deimos, can almost not die + full heal Saul if he were to take damage, while a Minstrel Chrono might not die, but he won't be able to sustain Saul from dying from Pride mechanic.

In Fractals however, chrono is pretty much dead:

-Not being able to shatter with 0 clones, pretty much deleted any chrono skip which made him useful. I know that the entire group can still blast Stealth from Druid pet, or with an engineer in the group or a thief; however you cannot solo portal skip anymore if you needed more than a certain duration of stealth sadly.-Distorting mechanics also became significantly harder-Chrono is technically a hard class, while Heal Firebrand is currently an insane carry due to all the buffs it gives + stability + is extremely easy to play. So most groups just prefer that. I don't want to say that the difference between a good and a bad firebrand is almost insignificant. But there is way less difference than between Chrono to chrono.