“Not like WoW”? False, this game is competing with WoW

So how do you explain that I don't like WoW and I like this game?

Let's look at the list.

Mounts? Completely different here. Mounts are just a speed buff in WOW. Here they have life and become an integral part of gameplay.

Raids? Raiding in wow is progressive. There's nothing like LFR in WOW here and more to the point, all the raids are in play all the time.

Legendary gear grind? In WoW, each tier of gear has higher and higher stats, and they keep coming out with higher and higher stats. Not so hear. The last time stats were raised here was like four years ago. Legendary gear is, unlike WoW, 100% completely optional. Not having legendary gear locks you out of no content at all. So not like WoW.

The Skyscale is a completely optional mount, meant to be a long term goal. People can talk about grind all they want, but that doesn't make it grind. If people had actually been playing the zones all along, they'd probably have had most of the currency saved up already. I know I did. The skyscale's biggest complaints were about time gating, rather than grind.

If you tell a WoW player that we had two expansions that neither raised the level cap, nor introduced a new tier of gear, they'd be amazed, if they even believed it.

Again, if this game is so much like WoW, why don't I like WoW?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@spectrito.8513 said:I dont really understand why people say gw2 is great because you dont need to grind, but that is what most people do, just take a look on how populated are the farming maps : Istan pre-nerf, dragonfall, SW.

Because players don’t need to grind in GW2 in order to play contents (other than high difficulty stuff). In WoW, players have to grind for gears on a regular basis because it directly affects the player’s ability to play a good chunk of max level contents. In GW2, not grinding doesn’t prevent players from playing contents because grinding is generally for skins or QoL stuff that people want to grind for, and do not prevent players from playing contents.

@"spectrito.8513" said:I dont really understand why people say gw2 is great because you dont need to grind, but that is what most people do, just take a look on how populated are the farming maps : Istan pre-nerf, dragonfall, SW.In gw2 we dont grind for gear, we grind for skins, which is the same thing but more mind numbing and way less rewarding, you just need to faceroll mobs in PvE spamming auto attacks.

WoW maybe doesnt compete with gw2 for the casual pve audience which are interested in open world PvE content and single story mode released every 3 months.But it competes for the hardcore Raiders, WvWers to some extent and casual and hardcore PvPers.Combat mechanics in gw2 are better, but the skill ceilling in wow(classic) is much higher because you need to have a knowledge of the game in general not only on classes, wow is way more complex game compared to gw2 PvE and PvP wise.WoW will not have updates but it's better not have updates than have bad ones.

The difference is skin grind is 100% completely optional. Gear grind is required if you want to do content. I'd say that makes a world of difference. As long as I don't feel I have to grind to "catch up" it doesn't matter if grind exists in the game. I'm not a grinder, I just play a lot, but I play all different things all the time. Eventually I get everything I need, usually without grinding.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Blizzard and Arenanet has an history. Arenanet founders Wyatt, Strain and O'Brien where all working for Blizzard when they left and started Arenanet. So it is obvious that, atleast at first, they wanted to do something different. Wyatt and Strain went onwards to different positions in the gaming industry and to genre's further away from the MMORPG genre.

I disagree that GW1 and 2 have been competing specifically with WoW. They are the lead game in the genre and so they look at WoW, but it is not a real competition. What does worry me is a change of direction after HoTBefore HoT and in the manifesto, Arenanet aimed to do things better then WoW. Something they also did in GW1. I remember that the success of GW1 came with factions and the title system in it. It draw out a lot of WoW players, as it solved the need for a reward for the grind between content releases. Blizzard quickly introduced titles in WoW as well to counter it. It wasn't the first time that GW1 and 2 where revolutionising. Going free2play was another one. Ohters had done it before, but it was basically a very crippled version of the game. F2P GW2 is very much playable and enjoyable.

Arenanet was boundbreaking. They didn't care about what an MMO was supposed to be or do, but focussed on what they see best for a game. By looking and imrpoving things from other games, but also by their own innovations. That part is gone it seems and I miss it.

Speaking of Patrick Wyatt. A few years ago, he ended up at Amazon game studio's. They recently announced they are working on a new Lord of the Rings MMORPG, so it seems that once more after TERA he is in direct competition with Arenanet and Mike O'Brien. Something that shows some promising signs for the future of this genre.

Well mounts in this game are ground breaking, but you don't seem to count those for some reason. A big deal was made about those, and not just in Guild Wars 2 forums. It reached the first page on reddit in r/gaming with 40k upvotes or something.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Blizzard and Arenanet has an history. Arenanet founders Wyatt, Strain and O'Brien where all working for Blizzard when they left and started Arenanet. So it is obvious that, atleast at first, they wanted to do something different. Wyatt and Strain went onwards to different positions in the gaming industry and to genre's further away from the MMORPG genre.

I disagree that GW1 and 2 have been competing specifically with WoW. They are the lead game in the genre and so they look at WoW, but it is not a real competition. What does worry me is a change of direction after HoTBefore HoT and in the manifesto, Arenanet aimed to do things better then WoW. Something they also did in GW1. I remember that the success of GW1 came with factions and the title system in it. It draw out a lot of WoW players, as it solved the need for a reward for the grind between content releases. Blizzard quickly introduced titles in WoW as well to counter it. It wasn't the first time that GW1 and 2 where revolutionising. Going free2play was another one. Ohters had done it before, but it was basically a very crippled version of the game. F2P GW2 is very much playable and enjoyable.

Arenanet was boundbreaking. They didn't care about what an MMO was supposed to be or do, but focussed on what they see best for a game. By looking and imrpoving things from other games, but also by their own innovations. That part is gone it seems and I miss it.

Speaking of Patrick Wyatt. A few years ago, he ended up at Amazon game studio's. They recently announced they are working on a new Lord of the Rings MMORPG, so it seems that once more after TERA he is in direct competition with Arenanet and Mike O'Brien. Something that shows some promising signs for the future of this genre.

Well mounts in this game are ground breaking, but you don't seem to count those for some reason. A big deal was made about those, and not just in Guild Wars 2 forums. It reached the first page on reddit in r/gaming with 40k upvotes or something.

Mounts in GW2 where ground breaking, but not in the genre. The way it is introduced is not unique, except for the mastery-system, but that wasnt unique to mounts.

@Vayne.8563@BlueJin.4127Its optional but thats the only thing left to do for players that are not into WvW/PvP where (most) people play for fun and not for the grind.Thats why farming maps are so populated and what most people do in gw2, a mind numbing farm.Thats why so many people burnout from playing gw2, its a constant grind for gold to convert it into gems, its not challenging, rewardful or fun.This game is in a vicious cycle, people get bored until a new map is released with more grind to get bored and wait for the next grind.Im a player who enjoys all kinds of content except for single player story mode content(there are plenty of single players for that).For me Gw2 lacks what wow offers, long term goals, challenging open world, meaningful PvE progression, open world PvP and competitive PvP and i can almost guarantee that at least that the reasons most people quit gw2 is among one of these topics and classic wow will drag a lot of those players.

Dont get me wrong i really like gw2 but its turning into what retail WoW is now a grind for the sake of grind and you can already see players asking for a vanilla gw2 server.

@spectrito.8513 said:I dont really understand why people say gw2 is great because you dont need to grind, but that is what most people do, just take a look on how populated are the farming maps : Istan pre-nerf, dragonfall, SW.

Because none of that is forced grinding. When a new LW chapter is released, do players need to grind new gear? New reputations? New crafting levels? No.

In WoW you must grind, there is no choice, while the grinds in GW2 are completely optional.

@spectrito.8513 said:But it competes for the hardcore Raiders, WvWers to some extent and casual and hardcore PvPers.

This is true, WoW has always been centered around Raiding and Arena, their actual endgame activity, while GW2's endgame remains largely static, with both new raids and fractals being released at a very slow pace, and WvW/sPvP additions even slower.

@spectrito.8513 said:Combat mechanics in gw2 are better, but the skill ceilling in wow(classic) is much higher because you need to have a knowledge of the game in general not only on classes, wow is way more complex game compared to gw2 PvE and PvP wise.

Completely and entirely incorrect, and anyone who has spent any time playing WoW knows this.

WoW is likely the MMO that lead to the phrase "rock, paper, scissors" PvP balance. Some classes hard counter others, so in a fight of equally skilled players, the outcome can be 100% pre-determined depending on composition . A Ret Paladin for example will never beat a Frost Mage if both players are of equal skill - never. Even if the Ret is exceptional, it's still a toss up. If a Priest meets a Rogue, the Priest is dead. End sentence.

Gear and class/spec matchups make up a large percentage of a player's effectiveness in WoW, both in PvP and PvE.

If you think you're going to jump into WoW and "outskill" your opponents in a 1v3 like you can in GW2, you're in a for a very rude surprise.

EDIT: forgot to address PvE being more complex in WoW. Again, false. In Vanilla it was a joke. You took 40 people into a raid, and in many cases, 5-6 of your team were afk the whole fight. Things changed as the expansions went on, but in WoW there is no specialization, no build diversity, and no room for customization, unlike in GW2 where you choose the stats on your gear, the type of weapons, sigils, runes and utilities you use - for good or ill. It is much easier to neuter your character with poor gear, weapon, upgrade, trait and utility choices in GW2 than it is to do the same in WoW.

@spectrito.8513 said:@Vayne.8563@BlueJin.4127Its optional but thats the only thing left to do for players that are not into WvW/PvP where (most) people play for fun and not for the grind.Thats why farming maps are so populated and what most people do in gw2, a mind numbing farm.Thats why so many people burnout from playing gw2, its a constant grind for gold to convert it into gems, its not challenging, rewardful or fun.This game is in a vicious cycle, people get bored until a new map is released with more grind to get bored and wait for the next grind.Im a player who enjoys all kinds of content except for single player story mode content(there are plenty of single players for that).For me Gw2 lacks what wow offers, long term goals, challenging open world, meaningful PvE progression, open world PvP and competitive PvP and i can almost guarantee that at least that the reasons most people quit gw2 is among one of these topics and classic wow will drag a lot of those players.

Dont get me wrong i really like gw2 but its turning into what retail WoW is now a grind for the sake of grind and you can already see players asking for a vanilla gw2 server.

I don't think most players find the grind fun and I don't think most players actually grind. I have a guild full of people who don't grind but manage to get stuff. We do what's called incidental farming. It doesn't matter if it takes longer to get something because we've having fun. That's how the people I generally play with roll> We're not so goal driven. We're fun driven.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Because none of that is forced grinding. When a new LW chapter is released, do players need to grind new gear? New reputations? New crafting levels? No.

In WoW you must grind, there is no choice, while the grinds in GW2 are completely optional.

@spectrito.8513 said:But it competes for the hardcore Raiders, WvWers to some extent and casual and hardcore PvPers.

This is true, WoW has always been centered around Raiding and Arena, their actual endgame activity, while GW2's endgame remains largely static, with both new raids and fractals being released at a very slow pace, and WvW/sPvP additions even slower.

@spectrito.8513 said:Combat mechanics in gw2 are better, but the skill ceilling in wow(classic) is much higher because you need to have a knowledge of the game in general not only on classes, wow is way more complex game compared to gw2 PvE and PvP wise.

Completely and entirely incorrect, and anyone who has spent any time playing WoW knows this.

WoW is likely the MMO that lead to the phrase "rock, paper, scissors" PvP balance. Some classes hard counter others, so in a fight of equally skilled players, the outcome can be 100% pre-determined depending on composition . A Ret Paladin for example will never beat a Frost Mage if both players are of equal skill - never. Even if the Ret is exceptional, it's still a toss up. If a Priest meets a Rogue, the Priest is dead. End sentence.

Gear and class/spec matchups make up a large percentage of a player's effectiveness in WoW, both in PvP and PvE.

If you think you're going to jump into WoW and "outskill" your opponents in a 1v3 like you can in GW2, you're in a for a very rude surprise.

EDIT: forgot to address PvE being more complex in WoW. Again, false. In Vanilla it was a joke. You took 40 people into a raid, and in many cases, 5-6 of your team were afk the whole fight. Things changed as the expansions went on, but in WoW there is no specialization, no build diversity, and no room for customization, unlike in GW2 where you choose the stats on your gear, the type of weapons, sigils, runes and utilities you use - for good or ill. It is much easier to neuter your character with poor gear, weapon, upgrade, trait and utility choices in GW2 than it is to do the same in WoW.

We are talking here about vanilla wow not retail which is a completely different gameAny class can beat any class because profession items, trinkets and usable items.And priests are the kings of 1v1 in vanilla wow and everyone who PvPed in vanilla know this.And in fact, its quite possible to 1vx in any class that its not a full healer or tank, just type it on YouTube.

Yes, in vanilla builds are restrict with dull rotation but you have so many usable tools for general or specific uses/bosses.And no If 5-6 players afk in a fight its almost a guaranteed wipe in most bosses, this plays a part on its complexity, you need 40 people paying attention in the fight, in some fights 1 player is enough to wipe the entire raid.Also vanila didnt have arena.

Dont try to give opnions based on your experiences on retail WoW, they are irrelevant on a vanilla wow discusion

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

Mounts in GW2 where ground breaking, but not in the genre. The way it is introduced is not unique, except for the mastery-system, but that wasnt unique to mounts.

I'm sorry but this is the absolute best implementation of mounts in any MMORPG I've ever played by a long shot.

@Mortifera.6138 said:I can’t believe people still say this game is not like WoW. That it caters to a different audience. That may have been true at one point, but everything since HoT has been to make this game more like WoW. They catered to hardcore players, added raids, added mounts, added grind for legendary gears, added the Skyscale grind.... No one even talks about the Manifesto anymore. So yes, this game is like WoW. Yes, they are competing.

Just popping in to say that companies within the same industry can compete using a differentiation strategy. Arenanet's product is very differentiated as evidenced by one of their design philosophies (you should always be happy to see another player in the open world). There is no kill stealing, node stealing, and events are more profitable with more players (more enemies, more loot bags, etc.). Additionally, skills and traits are specifically designed to be beneficial for others and not screw them over (there are comments from devs concerning rune of sanctuary where they discussed this). There are other core design philosophies that others can probably point out that support Anet's differentiation strategy.

Of course they are competing. This doesn’t mean they are the same. I’m not sure you understand the words you’re using.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@spectrito.8513 said:@Vayne.8563@BlueJin.4127Its optional but thats the only thing left to do for players that are not into WvW/PvP where (most) people play for fun and not for the grind.Thats why farming maps are so populated and what most people do in gw2, a mind numbing farm.Thats why so many people burnout from playing gw2, its a constant grind for gold to convert it into gems, its not challenging, rewardful or fun.This game is in a vicious cycle, people get bored until a new map is released with more grind to get bored and wait for the next grind.Im a player who enjoys all kinds of content except for single player story mode content(there are plenty of single players for that).For me Gw2 lacks what wow offers, long term goals, challenging open world, meaningful PvE progression, open world PvP and competitive PvP and i can almost guarantee that at least that the reasons most people quit gw2 is among one of these topics and classic wow will drag a lot of those players.

I don't think most players find the grind fun and I don't think most players actually grind. I have a guild full of people who don't grind but manage to get stuff. We do what's called incidental farming. It doesn't matter if it takes longer to get something because we've having fun. That's how the people I generally play with roll> We're not so goal driven. We're fun driven.

Same here, but unfortunately thats what most people do, grind for skins and once they get it, they burnout because that what gw2 endgame offers and why you see so many people saying they dont know what to do, they are bored etc...And yes, its their fault they got bored but its also gw2 lack of fun and satisfying endgame, i know this because it happened to myself when i started playing gw2 and its the reason i took a breakIn vanilla i get the exact opposite feeling once i get a new item,while you can get frustrated at times when you lose a roll or the item didnt dropped after weeks of raiding, its so satisfying when you get what you wanted and this satisfaction is what keep most people playing the game in the long term.I play gw2 for a different reason, the combat is what keeps me playing despite class balance being a disaster and powercreep, it's fun.

@spectrito.8513 said:

We are talking here about vanilla wow not retail which is a completely different gameAny class can beat any class because profession items, trinkets and usable items.And priests are the kings of 1v1 in vanilla wow and everyone who PvPed in vanilla know this.And in fact, its quite possible to 1vx in any class that its not a full healer or tank, just type it on YouTube.

Yes, in vanilla builds are restrict with dull rotation but you have so many usable tools for general or specific uses/bosses.And no If 5-6 players afk in a fight its almost a guaranteed wipe in most bosses, this plays a part on its complexity, you need 40 people paying attention in the fight, in some fights 1 player is enough to wipe the entire raid.Also vanila didnt have arena.

Dont try to give opnions based on your experiences on retail WoW, they are irrelevant on a vanilla wow discusion

Say this out loud with me: Turkeyspit. Played. In. Vanilla. WoW. I didn't stay for too long, but really got into it with TBC where I was in a server leading raiding guild.

But please, tell me more about what you've learned from watching YouTube :trollface:

Also, please copy/paste the above on the WoW forums and send us a link. Would be worth a chuckle.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Say this out loud with me: Turkeyspit. Played. In. Vanilla. WoW. I didn't stay for too long, but really got into it with TBC where I was in a server leading raiding guild.

But please, tell me more about what you've learned from watching YouTube :trollface:

Also, please copy/paste the above on the WoW forums and send us a link. Would be worth a chuckle.

lol i played vanilla back in the day and played vanilla wow on pservers from 2013 until 2017 when i started playing gw2, tired to start over and over again because blizzard shutdowns.

@Iozeph.5617 said:

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:Almost none of use took the manifesto too seriously, even former crazed fanboys like myself. Any company, gaming or otherwise, is going to make promises and exaggerate and all that horseshit. And kitten does change over time, its been 7 years since GW2 came out and even longer since the Manifesto video. A lot of the people that were with Anet at the time have left. All that said, I am personally inclined to think that Anet did come pretty close to the designs and philosophies laid out in the manifesto, and have stay fairly close as time has gone by. I have my criticisms, and I've been vocal about them, but I still do enjoy this game a great deal.

So many people say that, but to me that just smacks of the sort of after-the-fact rationalisation done in the hopes of distancing oneself from a group in order to mitigate feelings of shame over something bad, "Oh I knew it all along, even if I got on board the hype train, spent a lot of money on gems, expansions, character slots etc. Huge fanboy, but even so - I was never fooled(and an therefore better and more intelligent than others who also invested). I threw my money away assuming I was being lied to and still gave it over gladly(because...?) But hey, at least I'm not as dumb and gullible as those others over there -those clods actually took somebody at their word and believed the manifesto was going to stick. Who does that anymore? Hahaha...haha...ha..."

Not putting words in your mouth mind, but that's how it comes across every time I read that sort of thing. Point is there's nothing wrong admitting to feeling you've been had or even being a little angry about it. After all the shame doesn't lay with those taken in, but with those who've played them false.

And yes, while things do change over time, generally they tend not to change in such wide-sweeping fashion, not such that a company does nearly a complete reversal from their professed mission statement.

Well, I can't change that you think I'm "rationalizing after the fact", though you've wildly strawmaned what it was that I said and have indeed put words in my mouth. However, since a moderator has chosen to delete the comment I made that you are quoting, I've been put off any further desire to try to argue in this thread.

@Rogue.8235 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:I can’t believe people still say this game is not like WoW. That it caters to a different audience. That may have been true at one point, but everything since HoT has been to make this game more like WoW. They catered to hardcore players, added raids, added mounts, added grind for legendary gears, added the Skyscale grind.... No one even talks about the Manifesto anymore. So yes, this game is like WoW. Yes, they are competing.

Just popping in to say that companies within the same industry can compete using a differentiation strategy. Arenanet's product is very differentiated as evidenced by one of their design philosophies (you should always be happy to see another player in the open world). There is no kill stealing, node stealing, and events are more profitable with more players (more enemies, more loot bags, etc.). Additionally, skills and traits are specifically designed to be beneficial for others and not screw them over (there are comments from devs concerning rune of sanctuary where they discussed this). There are other core design philosophies that others can probably point out that support Anet's differentiation strategy.

Of course they are competing. This doesn’t mean they are the same. I’m not sure you understand the words you’re using.

^^^ This

I think "this game is not like the other" and "this game competes with this other game" aren't the same thing. Sure there's going to be some competition and some overlap, but calling the games the same is pretty not true. I don't think there is going to be a problem regardless, once the rose tinted glasses effect wears off.

@spectrito.8513 said:

Same here, but unfortunately thats what most people do, grind for skins and once they get it, they burnout because that what gw2 endgame offers and why you see so many people saying they dont know what to do, they are bored etc...And yes, its their fault they got bored but its also gw2 lack of fun and satisfying endgame, i know this because it happened to myself when i started playing gw2 and its the reason i took a breakIn vanilla i get the exact opposite feeling once i get a new item,while you can get frustrated at times when you lose a roll or the item didnt dropped after weeks of raiding, its so satisfying when you get what you wanted and this satisfaction is what keep most people playing the game in the long term.I play gw2 for a different reason, the combat is what keeps me playing despite class balance being a disaster and powercreep, it's fun.

How do you know this? What most people do? Have you taken a poll. Grinders are more easily seen together doing the same activity. Guys like me bounce all over. How do you know how many of us there are? How do you know how many of them there are? It's just not that simple. From my personal annecdotal experience hard core farmers are like hard core anyone else. Very loud, very visible, post a lot, you can see them, but at the same time, they don't necessarily represent a majority. I have 400 people in this guild and I'm pretty sure only a tiny percent are farmers and grinders. I actually have more achievement point hounds in my guild than I do farmers or grinders. But most of us approach the game casually or play different.

I won't grind the same stuff over and over again, but I'll play different characters through content to get them through and eventually I'll get enough of something to finish stuff. I won't grind out world complete, but I'll do a bit in a zone every time I pass through it, until it's mostly done then finish it off. There's no way you can say what most people do, because how could you ever know how big my demographic is?

This game is still far more casual than WoW. Are you grinding a completely new set of gear every 6 months? Is your character far below max level cap because you took a 3 year break? Everything you mention is a nice to have. Heck you can even get legendaries without raiding if you can stand a pvp grind with terrible matchmaking. And you keep those legendaries forever even of a new expansion comes out. The ones i earned in legion are useless now.

In contrast, I left GW2for 2 to 3 years and i can still play my characters and jump straight into end game activities.

Also this game offers far more permanent, yet slow progression.

@spectrito.8513 said:I dont really understand why people say gw2 is great because you dont need to grind, but that is what most people do, just take a look on how populated are the farming maps : Istan pre-nerf, dragonfall, SW.In gw2 we dont grind for gear, we grind for skins, which is the same thing but more mind numbing and way less rewarding, you just need to faceroll mobs in PvE spamming auto attacks.

WoW maybe doesnt compete with gw2 for the casual pve audience which are interested in open world PvE content and single story mode released every 3 months.But it competes for the hardcore Raiders, WvWers to some extent and casual and hardcore PvPers.Combat mechanics in gw2 are better, but the skill ceilling in wow(classic) is much higher because you need to have a knowledge of the game in general not only on classes, wow is way more complex game compared to gw2 PvE and PvP wise.WoW will not have updates but it's better not have updates than have bad ones.

Wow has more content per update and more content released overall. I wouldn't call Wow's gear progression all that rewarding. It's a constant treadmill and soon people who can clear normal raids now will have this season's mythic raiding gear next season. Also, the way it's structured stratifies the community. It's hard to find people to raid with you or group with you from your own guild if you've fallen behind in gear level. As a wow refugee i can say it has a lot to learn from this game. The only thing that might make this game go dry is if people lose reasons to play. I.e. content dearth.

I will say this: initially you may like the vertical progression from WoW initially if you're new to it. You may, just like me, not realize you miss this game, but after coming back i'm realizing that this is a much better MMO. Wow actually plays a lot like a single player game outside of structured group activities. there's toxicity in both games in structured groups, but it's worse in WoW because of how asocial it is outside of groups and players aren't really forced to think of each other as assets in the open world. It bleeds into other content where players see each other as means to an end.