Teapot Quitting? Is this the beginning of the end?

I'm sure he'll enjoy WoW classic, and I wish nothing but the best for him.As someone who watched his stream regularly, its pretty easy to tell that he was just getting bored of GW2 - even though he admits that the game itself is great and is doing pretty well, he seems to feel alienated and bored regarding the direction the developers (and the community) are going. At the same time, GW2 is so good (at least at its foundation, the world, the combat, and so on) that there's not really anywhere to just "jump to" in order to scratch that itch for hardcore content to tryhard in with the same kind of quality in its gameplay in the MMO Genre. WoW's just (one of) the closest bets.

I can understand those who say "Why would I watch someone play a game that I could be playing?", For me, sometimes I just dont feel like playing the game but still want to interact with its community in some form or observe how others do things - asking questions in a forum beyond this place and reddit and even getting a wider sense of perspective from such people. Maybe when I do log in next after such sittings, I would feel some inspiration to try something new that I saw someone do on such streams. There were quite a few times where a streamer showed me an answer to a question or problem I proposed while doing their usual stuff or openly discussed such as a topic that actually helped quite a bit in how I (and likely many others) approached things ingame. Teapot was just one of such, especially for raiding in my case.

Anyway, I dont think the game's dying just because he's leaving, far from it, in fact....but its another (major) content creator leaving for who knows how long. The good thing about GW2 has always been that its easy to just pick up where you left off, so maybe if things change he'll be back to playing for awhile. Still, I always felt that GW2's biggest blindspot is their poor advertisement, and not using people like him and many others to push their game and its content out to the wider populace vs their really weird marketing campaigns that might not totally encapsulate just how wide and varied GW2 can be as a game.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ZhouX.8742 said:

@sinsrock.1702 said:i can understand where Teapot is coming from with the whole steaming/content creator perspective, it is really frustrating working really hard on content to not really have anyone watch it, i wouldn't say GW2 is going to die because teapot is leaving by any means, but i do think that more people that want to create content will probably leave for the same reason, eventually there wont be many creating content because its not well supported on gw2. i Love the game very much and have had my own struggles with this lately, other games, like Smite, LoL, WoW, there communities really cater to the content creators , Gw2 not so much its a game that is fun to play not really so much fun to watch, i enjoy watching people like Illithex edit but that's mainly because i enjoy watching how much time hes spent editing not really for the game. Really do wish the community supported Content creators more but also understand why we as a community don't. Overall just want to leave this 1 person does'nt make the game content creators don't make the game, the players are what make and keep a game thriving so i think Gw2 is far from dead :)

To me it really seems like the crowds playing and watching others play aren't the same. A large percentage of the people I know are gamers, and none care about watching streamers game. What little I've watched of Twitch streams, it seems (a lot of) the money is going to the streamers. Which leads me to think the loss of a streamer means nothing in terms of actual revenue for ANet, or even to marketing, to any significance.

So yeah, this really feels like another in 7 years of doomsday tales. Which are fun too, I suppose.

Twitch and streamers are a game's advertisement. To say it doesn't affect GW2 is pretty much just wrong... In fact
Twitch has become one of the biggest methods of game exposure outside of Steam , which , surprise, GW2 is not on

These 2 things , with no market-ability through Twitch because streamers don't stream it and Steam exposure absolutely kills the game's new player retention and exposure rates pretty much almost entirely.

It is one of the reasons why it is dying, because with no player retention and older players dropping off slowly because they get bored or have IRL responsibilities it's just bound to happen quicker than other MMO's who have these methods of exposure available (WoW is a good example, it's Twitch presence is huge even though it is technically dying as well it maintains better strictly because of this).

GW2 has one of the best combat systems I've been able to play, and has rich content to explore for a new player but if they're not able to see it through streamers or in Steam where most people get their games nowadays, then it's just not able to be viewed TO appreciate.

Basically Twitch and Steam for MMO's are damage control for mmo's the moment it is released continued exposure is everything.

This is the reality of game developers nowadays as opposed to 2012 when this was released, so much has changed since then.

Then all of the existing players can hop onto Twitch and support any of the other streamers. You’ll then get the viewer count up and the game will be more visible.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:Never heard of Asmongold, Teapot and all the names that have been mentioned, I don't follow streaming much and none that relates to GW2. Just because a popular streamer is quitting the game doesn't mean everybody else is, there is no rule that states one must like and play GW2 forever, anyone can get bored of the same thing.

I don't get why you wear your ignorance with pride. You declare that your voice is important because it is unheard, and your point of view matters because you see nothing.

@Dante.1763 said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of viewership numbers was this Teapot person generating?

The highest number of views on a single video on his twitch stream is 1.5k from what im seeing, and if thats the number of people watching that number is incredibly small.He does have 26k followers, but at least from what i can tell, not that many are watching his videos.

Assuming this poster knows what s/he is talking about...

@Maikimaik.1974 said:He has an average viewing count of around 300.

@"ZhouX.8742" said:...Twitch and streamers are a game's advertisement. To say it doesn't affect GW2 is pretty much just wrong... In fact Twitch has become one of the biggest methods of game exposure outside of Steam...

yawn - Are we still talking about this? Sigh, it seems that way. Well, the only thing I can add at this point is that people tend to project their own personal experiences as universal truths. Streamers, Twitch, and Steam may be an important part of your world and to people you know but that says nothing about how many other people they are important to.

Personally, Twitch and Steam had nothing to do with me coming to GW2. I merely did a google search for "Best MMO 2017", looked at a variety of reviews, tried out several likely sounding possibilities, and finally decided on this one. In all the time since then that I've been playing this game I've never heard anyone irl mention Twitch. Ingame, I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention Twitch or Steam either. The only place I've heard any real discussion about Twitch is this thread. All that is just my own personal experience though and it says nothing about how many people Twitch and Steam are important to.

What would really help this discussion is if someone could give real data about the importance of Twitch and its streamers to the people Anet is trying to reach, rather than just making sweeping, unsupported claims.

tl:dr - Where's some actual data as opposed to endlessly repeated personal opinions?

Wow so much toxicity. I'm 50/50 on the subject: GW2 was definitely at its prime a couple of years ago and has definitely declined a little as of late, but at the same time I wouldn't say it's 'dead' or 'dying' per-say. Mostly due to lack of meaningful content, poor balance patches and very, VERY limited build options for a lot of classes (mainly looking at you Revenant and Necro). In other words: a lot of people are probably just taking a break until something worthwhile pops up (cough new expansion cough) to draw them back in.

Now, as for the whole 'streamer' bashing that was going on: you all need to remember that content creators (streamers and YouTubers) are free advertisement. If you don't like watching 'em, that's fine, but these people are what keep games on the radar to begin with. It's also where a lot of people go to check out a game before playing it, to see what it's like first-hand before buying/downloading. Why waste the time/money when in five minutes you can see all you need to see? Or at the very least get a small taste of what to expect. Not to mention, new players can communicate with streamers (especially) directly and get immediate answers to any questions they may have about said game. Because these content creators are free advertisement, they also hold the power to make or break a game when it comes to newer players; ESPECIALLY big names. 300 average viewers, for example, is NOT small by any means. Not a 'big name', those normally have closer to 1k viewers on average, but still an influential size. I streamed for 2 years daily, most I ever saw was 40 viewers. A lot of you are just being spiteful to be spiteful and it's sad. Have some respect, if you think streaming's just a bout sitting in front of a camera, playing games and reading chat you're sorely mistaken.

That all being said: GW2 is still alive and though not thriving, still kicking. If you love the game, stick with it. It's free, if you're new there's a Quaggan-ton of stuff to do, if you're a veteran take a break. If you want to move on to something else then more power to you and I hope you find your next big passion. That's all there is to it.

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@"ZhouX.8742" said:...Twitch and streamers are a game's advertisement. To say it doesn't affect GW2 is pretty much just wrong... In fact
Twitch has become one of the biggest methods of game exposure outside of Steam...

yawn
- Are we still talking about this?
Sigh
, it seems that way. Well, the only thing I can add at this point is that people tend to project their own personal experiences as universal truths. Streamers, Twitch, and Steam may be an important part of your world and to people you know but that says nothing about how many other people they are important to.

Personally, Twitch and Steam had nothing to do with me coming to GW2. I merely did a google search for "Best MMO 2017", looked at a variety of reviews, tried out several likely sounding possibilities, and finally decided on this one. In all the time since then that I've been playing this game I've never heard anyone irl mention Twitch. Ingame, I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention Twitch or Steam either. The only place I've heard any real discussion about Twitch is this thread. All that is just my own personal experience though and it says nothing about how many people Twitch and Steam are important to.

What would really help this discussion is if someone could give real data about the importance of Twitch and its streamers to the people Anet is trying to reach, rather than just making sweeping, unsupported claims.

tl:dr - Where's some actual data as opposed to endlessly repeated personal opinions?

So you're saying you don't think Twitch and Steam are the 2 top platforms for exposure to a game? I would give Youtube a 3rd on that list. You're basically saying this because you, yourself.. One person.. Found this game through a website? I guess I can't argue with that sample size.

Ironic, you give a sample size of , well, yourself and then you tell me to get data for myself.

Sure, https://blog.twitch.tv/https-blog-twitch-tv-game-creator-success-on-twitch-hard-numbers-688154815817

Old marketing dies out and new forms take it's place and in the case of the internet the way a game is marketed evolves, rapidly.

This is not opinion, it's fact otherwise game companies wouldn't bother putting their games into Steam's platform to begin with or partner streamers or partner youtube personalities to advertise their game and fly people out to test their game , etc.

You focus too much on people who watch Twitch as people just watching the streamer but forget people are also there to get insight on actual gameplay in real time.

@"ZhouX.8742" said:So you're saying you don't think Twitch and Steam are the 2 top platforms for exposure to a game? I would give Youtube a 3rd on that list. You're basically saying this because you, yourself.. One person.. Found this game through a website? I guess I can't argue with that sample size.

Ironic, you give a sample size of , well, yourself and then you tell me to get data for myself.

Sure, https://blog.twitch.tv/https-blog-twitch-tv-game-creator-success-on-twitch-hard-numbers-688154815817

Old marketing dies out and new forms take it's place and in the case of the internet the way a game is marketed evolves, rapidly.

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear. No, I wasn't saying I don't think they were the the top 2 platforms for game exposure. What I was trying to say was that they don't have a significant impact in my world but that says nothing about their impact on other people. Rather than projecting from my own experience or listening to others project from theirs, I was asking if there was real data. You provided some and I appreciate that. It does leave me with another question. Do we have verifying data from sources other than Twitch itself?

Let me clarify that I am not challenging you to "prove your point". I'm asking if there is real data rather than just personal opinons. That question applies to anyone making assertions on this topic.

It's not about 1 streamer with 500 viewers leaving the game, that will ruin the game. Teapot in his strim was talking about his reasons, and I agree with him.Gw2 is great game with very very shitty development. Now anet only cares about gemsale, but new content or/and balance has way less priority. 2h of new gameplay every 3-4 months, 3-4 raid bosses every 10 months fractal every half a year, meaningless balance patches every 3 months and no new expansion for at least next 18 months? No way, it seriously burned me out.This development is seriously hurting dedicated players, and I'm not gonna be treated like this.Sadly there are no more games with this fantastic combat system...

I watch these streams and for me its also the reason that sometimes I not feel like playing the game myself but I just visit the community I know and have some chats and listen to the latest gossip around. Its like every gamemode got its small community within the gw2 community. People who are not connected to one of these might not understand it. Sometimes you might want to explore something new watching the streams which you did not know before and it gives you suddenly new options to play gw2 or makes you grow into a better player yourself. Most streams are chit chat about the game, skills, meta, gamemode, personal chatting, exchange of experience, a place like every other get together.

teapot i often watch as he is the one charismatic british guy, the streams often feel like sitting in a bar with your best friends talking about the world and such. I hope he always stays healthy and everything he has on his plans for his future will work out to be success.

teapot do us a favor and never change who you are.

I have never understood why anyone would watch someone else play a game (other than tips for where to find X). So I certainly never heard of anyone the OP talked about streaming.

I play to bash monsters. I am having fun and the servers seem pretty full. No worries, mate :)

"Why watch someone play a game when you can play it yourself?" - Simple: some people prefer television, others prefer content creators. Watching any streamer is also about the STREAMER and their community, not the game itself. It's like watching any sport: why bother when you can do it yourself? Plus, if you're having a burnout it's still an option to support the game and the community as a whole. I've met many amazing people from around the world through stream chats and through streaming, there's far more to it than 'just watching someone play a game'. Gotta open your minds peeps and look at the bigger picture.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:ANet should watch TeaTime to see what concerns the most dedicated players and do something about it.

That's a fallacy if I've ever heard one. Being a streamer doesn't make you a dedicated player, nor does it make you a player that speaks with authority on what concerns the majority of the player base.

First thing, quote me on where I said being a streamer makes you a dedicated player.Second thing, quote me on where I said being a streamer makes you a player who speaks with authority.Third thing, TeaTime is not just about Teapot, it's about other players who have played this game from the beginning (some of them at pro level) and have done probably everything that could have been done in this game. Those players put out content online and indirectly help GW2 community grow - that's where I implied that they would see what concerns the most dedicated players. They actually talk about GW2, patch notes etc. But yeah, those who buy more mount skins are considered as the most dedicated in this community I guess?

I wonder what is your concern then if there is any. Not enough mount skins, maybe?