[Suggestion] Home instance library - storage for books

@"Wolfey.3407" said:A very cute idea I love it :D Would be great to re-read some of those books I've collected.Just hope anet doesn't make it a gem store item if they do decide to add it ._.

Here's what I would pay money for:My Home instance gets an empty book case. Ever book I have already collected shows up. Any I have missed are represented with blank spaces. If I click the book I can read it again at my leisure. If I click the blank spot I am given a clue to it's location.As I fill in more books, the book case becomes more impressive, undergoing an upgrade in appearance (in keeping with the decor of the home instance's location) maybe 3 or 4 upgrades as the bookshelves become more and more full.Tie three titles in with acheivements1-50 Books collected "Bookworm"50-150: "Book Collector"150-???: "Grand Historian"Add 20-30 new books to the game in locations all over the map filled with decent fun lore we can speculate on.Ensure any new books that come in future maps get added to this system.

I would gladly pay 1000 gems for this. It's much more meaningful to me than a few mount skins. It's the kind of thing that would get me to happily go back and revisit old content and really give me hours of distraction.

TLDR: Make it gemstore, but make it shiny af.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Wolfey.3407" said:A very cute idea I love it :D Would be great to re-read some of those books I've collected.Just hope anet doesn't make it a gem store item if they do decide to add it ._.

Here's what I would pay money for:My Home instance gets an empty book case. Ever book I have already collected shows up. Any I have missed are represented with blank spaces. If I click the book I can read it again at my leisure. If I click the blank spot I am given a clue to it's location.As I fill in more books, the book case becomes more impressive, undergoing an upgrade in appearance (in keeping with the decor of the home instance's location) maybe 3 or 4 upgrades as the bookshelves become more and more full.Tie three titles in with acheivements1-50 Books collected "Bookworm"50-150: "Book Collector"150-???: "Grand Historian"Add 20-30 new books to the game in locations all over the map filled with decent fun lore we can speculate on.Ensure any new books that come in future maps get added to this system.

I would gladly pay 1000 gems for this. It's much more meaningful to me than a few mount skins. It's the kind of thing that would get me to happily go back and revisit old content and really give me hours of distraction.

TLDR: Make it gemstore, but make it shiny af.

gem store and shiny af i think is the problem...I don't think the title portion would happen since it would be tied to a gemstore item. I don't think or remember anet making achievements gemstored mandated.I do like you idea of progressing the library and adding more to it.

What's meaningful for one person is not meaningful for another.so 1,000 gems for a bookshelf may be nothing whats so ever for you, but for someone else they would rather spend it on something they can show off.

Not trying to bash you or anything, please don't take it in that manner.

I agree with a few of your points but I think some of the other points should be reworked if they would be implemented.

:)

@Wolfey.3407 said:gem store and shiny af i think is the problem...Why?Because you dont want to pay for it?That's not a problem. That's your preference. It's only a problem if not enough people will pay for it to cover the cost of creation and implementation and I am sorry but you don't know if that would be the case or not.

I don't think the title portion would happen since it would be tied to a gemstore item. I don't think or remember anet making achievements gemstored mandated.Really? Don't BL Weapon skins carry with them AP for collecting them?Don't the mini skyscales that drop only from the BL Chests give AP for collecting them all?The line you are drawing is arbitrary

What's meaningful for one person is not meaningful for another.so 1,000 gems for a bookshelf may be nothing whats so ever for you, but for someone else they would rather spend it on something they can show off.These players have plenty of options. A new option every week or so.Someone at Arenanet is doing things like creating the Hunter Boards, or the Garden Plots. These aren't about showing off. Should they stop because people can't pull them out in Lion's Arch?

While I take absolutely not offense to your post, I find it myopic.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Wolfey.3407" said:gem store and shiny af i think is the problem...Why?Because you dont want to pay for it?That's not a problem. That's your preference. It's only a problem if not enough people will pay for it to cover the cost of creation and implementation and I am sorry but you don't know if that would be the case or not.

I don't think the title portion would happen since it would be tied to a gemstore item. I don't think or remember anet making achievements gemstored mandated.Really? Don't BL Weapon skins carry with them AP for collecting them?Don't the mini skyscales that drop only from the BL Chests give AP for collecting them all?The line you are drawing is arbitrary

What's meaningful for one person is not meaningful for another.so 1,000 gems for a bookshelf may be nothing whats so ever for you, but for someone else they would rather spend it on something they can show off.These players have plenty of options. A new option every week or so.Someone at Arenanet is doing things like creating the Hunter Boards, or the Garden Plots. These aren't about showing off. Should they stop because people can't pull them out in Lion's Arch?

While I take absolutely not offense to your post, I find it myopic.

Ok Professor, glad to see that only your opinions are allowed to be considered imaginative and intellectual. rolls eyes

Point (1)I don't mind paying for something like that, but i don't believe said feature should be $20 USD. I'm sorry if you are not willing to discuss or even agree that the price should be up for discussion... I guess that was too MYOPIC of me to state that the price should be lower if added. I guess it's to MYOPIC for me to suggest slight changes to your idea.

Point (2)

This one you swung and made a Tampa Bay Rays kind of swing and a miss...

I stated Title not achievement points, please re-read.

Point (3)More options are good, and point 3 was aimed back at your statement of"I would gladly pay 1000 gems for this. It's much more meaningful to me than a few mount skins."

Sorry for suggesting idea on your idea, i had no idea you were closed to any suggestions or feed back. Happy playing <3 :)

I'd love to have some sort of book storage in-game. I'm in the process of sorting my bank out having bought another tab and I've got an entire tab devoted to books, plus a line in my "nostalgia" tab and I know there's at least a few books I'm still missing.

(And in case anyone thinks Anet wouldn't give us a better way to store them because it takes up bank space, you could have said the same back when most currencies were physical items that had to be stored in the bank, or before they updated crafting material storage, or when people had to keep items to reuse their skins. But we still got alternative storage for all those things.)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, i wish there was...This mmo formulaic option for storage only taking place in the inventory and in the bank is basic, but outdated....In a funny way there are even many more other quirky options for uncanny storage spaces....Banks afterall usually store just money... and maybe the rp theme does not quite fit the banking/civilized paradigm....Perhaps in the magumma wastes we can have another type of storage where we use itzel baskets in a safekeeping treehut :) you know...

Maybe the player can keep wood at stores at lumberyards across tyria, even collect /gather planks for a discount... perhaps there would be perks and benefits to keeping a woodyard.... extra residue globs? Perhaps underwater bogged logs, wetlogs... another type of wood gathered in wetlands places... :)

I see no harm in a storage treasure chest in the home instance, plus library that could only keep books, tomes, scrolls, maybe boosters / etc too.

• 1 year later...

@"Cronospere.8143" said:Some amazing ideas in this thread. A highly requested feature, hopefully the devs will consider this. With multiple ingame trials (Astralarium, suns refuge) i still have my hopes on "soon"

Yeah, I just got to Sun's Refuge and saw this as well. I actually hope more customizable and decoratable home instances are included in the expansion. It seems like something Anet could easily add special cosmetics and "decoration kits" for in the gem store as well. More people may actually buy a Home Portal Stone, well if they allow porting of a whole party as well. The potential of monetization on Anets part actually makes me wonder why they have never invested in these features honestly, although they have flirted with them during various instances (Sun's refuge, etc.).

For the book shelf, it would be great if you could build a library. When you get a book it goes to your collection and then also appears in the home instance (kinda like how Sun's refuge system works). Each book shelf can hold a certain number of books. When you hit that capacity you get a second, third, fourth, etc. shelf in the instance. Eventually you don't have a bookshelf, but a library with numerous shelves. Pull up a nice chair and get to reading. lol

If they do it, I really hope you don't need the books in the inventory anymore to populate the shelves. Unfortunately my half-illiterate norn ends up destroying most of his books so he can store cakes and steaks.