Teapot Quitting? Is this the beginning of the end?

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Where are people getting the hard data that supports massively declining playerbase? I've seen no numbers other than the infograph last released.

Other than the "usual" gw2eff data that actually show a massvely declining playerbase we don't have anything else.It's still better data than "I've seen players with low AP around"

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch that many streams tbhI watch Wooden Potatoes sometimes and Aurora Peachy biweekly when they play on EU, along with Captain Meatshield and Raging Kuma when they stream Gw2.

I enjoy playing with them and helping them and others in the stream chat.. running around together and doing stuff etc is a good way to break out of the usual solo play i'm used to..Just watching someone else playing something isn't as fun to me and larger streamers have so many people in the chat you can't even talk to anyone lol

Gets to a point where there's too many people watching and i've known a few people who've said they don't want to be big on Twitch because they like interacting with their chat etc and they just can't do that with thousands of people trying to talk at the same time.

@"AsiraasiB.7165" said:I knew this game was dying when youtubers like yishis(thief/engi) and that iamlegion( best necro videos ever) quit back in like 2016. They cared about the game.. Made excellent videos indeth specially iamlegion. And yet suggestions fell to death ears and changes/nerfs drove them out the game...

Theres other youtubers but those two stuck with me the mostHeck ive quit multiple times due to thief nerfs.. Im on osrs nowadays because of gw2 "balance"

I thought I am Legion quit due to real life circumstances..

But yes I agree he made the best Necro videos ^^ and always backed his builds up against others who would criticize his superior Necro knowledge.

@rabenpriester.7129 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:OK ... but watching a streamer isn't marketing. Anet doesn't control the message.

OK... I guess all the companies paying streamers thousands of dollars per hour to play their game are doing it wrong...

Maybe. I'm not a marketing expert. Pretty sure Teapot wasn't being paid $1000's to stream GW2 for Anet, so that comment seems pretty irrelevant.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:OK ... but watching a streamer isn't marketing. Anet doesn't control the message.

OK... I guess all the companies paying streamers thousands of dollars per hour to play their game are doing it wrong...

Maybe. I'm not a marketing expert. Pretty sure Teapot wasn't being paid $1000's to stream GW2 for Anet, so that comment seems pretty irrelevant.

Of course he wasn't paid that much by anet, and neither were bigger streamers like Kripp back in the day, because anet can't do marketing. They just banned them. lol

@rabenpriester.7129 said:

Of course he wasn't paid that much by anet, and neither were bigger streamers like Kripp back in the day, because anet can't do marketing. They just banned them. lol

Right ... game is done for because we are losing streamers ... but Anet wasn't supporting streaming much or at all anyways.

Good one.

OP... what did you expect to come from this? Posting stuff like this to reddit or the forums always ends the same way.

yes it will have little to no effect on the game if tpot or any other interesting person playing the game quits.that being said, its a sad day when a guy that loves the game as much as him who doesn't want to move on is left with basically no other choice.

if you happen to read this - we love you big boi :Doh and furnace taken ;)

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@Kain Francois.4328 said:Why so much hate for streamers? Most of streamers are deeply passionate about this game, and stream as nothing but an expression of deep love for the game.

Yeah, right. He just went where the $$$ is: WoW.

Are you sure about that? It takes many, MANY hours to make any money from streaming.

They could work a part-time job in the time they play the game and make more money.

It's for the same reason someone becomes an animator, or any other demanding job that underpays. Fundamentally, they do it because they love animation. People stream because they love the game.

edit: $1000 in 2 years of streaming is complete and utter horse bollocks. That's only $9 per month. Or 32 cents per day.

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

@Kain Francois.4328 said:Why so much hate for streamers? Most of streamers are deeply passionate about this game, and stream as nothing but an expression of deep love for the game.

Are you sure about that? It takes many, MANY hours to make any money from streaming.

They could work a part-time job in the time they play the game and make more money.

It's for the same reason someone becomes an animator, or any other demanding job that underpays. Fundamentally, they do it because they love animation. People stream because they love the game.

And perhaps because they don't want a real job :-)

@Goettel.4389 said:

And perhaps because they don't want a real job :-)

Isn't that a bit harsh to say about another person we don't even know personally?

Particularly, in this case, one of the biggest content creators in the GW2 community who organize huge community events like ERP tourney, and who makes funny videos that made so much of us laugh, such as the Thinking Man Scourge

They spend countless hours making content for our entertainment. And they do it for just pennies a day.

Look, Streamers like Mightyteapot aren't just usernames online. They are real people, with real feelings. I think Etika's fans know that all too well. Just saying.

@dodgerrule.8739 said:If you’d rather watch a streamer play then not play the game yourself it shows you’re not interested.

Thank you for explaining to me why I am doing something and how it shows my interest for anything.

The amount of arrogance in this thread is beyond astonishing. What gives you the right to determine who is or isn't interested in the game?Did it ever occur to you that some of us watch streamers precisely because we want to learn from people who are better than us? Did it occur to you some of us watch streamers in the period of the day when we wouldn't be playing anyway?

@dodgerrule.8739 said:Streamers don’t determine the life of a game.

But they do influence the community of the game and thus the life of the game. Just because something isn't detrimental for the game it doesn't mean its completely inconsequential.

@"Cuks.8241" said:Streams are for no life games.GW2 is a "I have 4 hours per week" type of player. We barely have time to play the game let alone watch a stream. Besides do people really watch streams of pve?

You can ask this question in Teapot's chat at the 24th of August. Big plans.

@"ElvenBlades.8017" said:All this doom and gloom...and I've just started playing. :(

No worries mate. What would a game forum be without the "doom & gloom" crowd? Every new game is a "game killer". Every adjustment by the devs is a "game killer". So a streamer switching games must also be. This game has been "dying" since before it was released ha ha. :)

@Obtena.7952 said:

Just gotta ask: if you're not a marketing expert, which pretty much translates to "I don't know much about how marketing works", why are you even commenting on that particular topic then? You were so adamant before............