Finally, is the AFK farm ok or not ?

Theros.1390

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Assassin X.8573 said:when im teleworking i dont always look at my chat.Then you probably shouldn't load up the game.

The conditions under which ANet actually suspends are so generous that there are tons of threads with people complaining about botters, because other players can't tell the difference between scripted and non-scripted farming. All they ask is that one pays attention to whispers, not even those from players, just the ones from GMs which are in a very different color from the others.

@Assassin X.8573 said:gms suspended me for 72 hrs even though i responded and moved.

i typed in local chat "that was weird, anyone here?" (knowing only GMs can move you) when i was moved because there was no whisper from a gm. also i was inside an instanced dungeon, so there was no one else there.

TBH the defenders of gaming purity are far more toxic to the community than any unattentive farmer could be. The defenders are mostly driven by selfishness and a sense of entitlement. That it's "their game" and everyone has to play it their way. There just needs to be some sanity here and respect what others enjoy as their play style too. This games audience goes from adrenaline junky teens to casual grandma's in their 60's. There's going to be a very large difference in play style. Now, AFK farmers that haven't moved in hours and those botting, teleporting, etc. are an issue too.

Everyone needs to chill out and remember it's just... a... game...!!!

@Assassin X.8573 said:

@Assassin X.8573 said:when im teleworking i dont always look at my chat.Then you probably shouldn't load up the game.

The conditions under which ANet actually suspends are so generous that there are tons of threads with people complaining about botters, because other players can't tell the difference between scripted and non-scripted farming. All they ask is that one pays attention to whispers, not even those from players, just the ones from GMs which are in a very different color from the others.

@Assassin X.8573 said:gms suspended me for 72 hrs even though i responded and moved.

i typed in local chat "that was weird, anyone here?" (knowing only GMs can move you) when i was moved because there was no whisper from a gm.

Then appeal the decision to ANet. Typing in /say doesn't count as responding to a GM. They have strict protocols about when to suspend and it would be surprising if it turned out that a GM skipped the step of whispering. But if they did, ask them to overturn it and they almost certainly will.

also i was inside an instanced dungeon, so there was no one else there.I'm not sure how that's relevant. GMs don't need a character to be present to initiate a chat or to move a player's toon. If their algorithms detected suspicious behavior, it wouldn't matter if it was instanced or non-instanced. The conditions are still the same: one can't be earning benefits while AFK.

I know a fair number of people who load up GW2 while working, because their job is so undemanding that they have the time & attention to manage both. That part of the story is entirely plausible. However, the cutoff before ANet suspends is incredibly generous. They don't do it because someone missed a single message.

In short: don't tell us; tell them.

@Lord Kreegan.8123 said:I am ALWAYS seeing players teleport in to the vicinity of crafting resources (especially rich mineral nodes) to collect the resource and then instantly disappear. That problem has been around for a long time; has been reported many, many times; the offenders have been reported many, many times; and nothing gets done about it.Because it's a waste of time to report it, I don't bother anymore.This is not a sarcastic question but a genuine one - what is wrong with farming the permanent rich nodes like that? High end crafting is very resource intensive so I've done exactly this kind of collecting for iron ore and other needed resources. Personally I don't do it much anymore. It's boring to just port from node to node, so these days I generally go through the maps riding from permanent node to permanent node, doing events and grabbing other resources along the way. That's much more fun for me. Still, if I'm crafting something that needs a pile of specific ores I might go back to porting from node to node for a bit, just to speed up the process. If I do that, am I breaking any actual rules or game etiquette?

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@Lord Kreegan.8123 said:I am ALWAYS seeing players teleport in to the vicinity of crafting resources (especially rich mineral nodes) to collect the resource and then instantly disappear. That problem has been around for a long time; has been reported many, many times; the offenders have been reported many, many times; and nothing gets done about it.Because it's a waste of time to report it, I don't bother anymore.This is not a sarcastic question but a genuine one - what is wrong with farming the permanent rich nodes like that? High end crafting is very resource intensive so I've done exactly this kind of collecting for iron ore and other needed resources. Personally I don't do it much anymore. It's boring to just port from node to node, so these days I generally go through the maps riding from permanent node to permanent node, doing events and grabbing other resources along the way. That's much more fun for me. Still, if I'm crafting something that needs a pile of specific ores or timbers or whatever, I might go back to porting from node to node for a bit, just to speed up the process. If I do that, am I breaking any actual rules or game etiquette?

the problem is the instant teleportation, its not like they logged out at the node, ive seen people teleport right into regular mithril nodes quite a bit these days too, and when you see the same character teleporting to different nodes in a short distance(which ive seen), its pretty obvious they arent real players.

@"Dante.1763" said:... ive seen people teleport right into regular mithril nodes quite a bit these days too, and when you see the same character teleporting to different nodes in a short distance(which ive seen), its pretty obvious they arent real players.Ah, thanks Dante. I think I understand my confusion now. I wasn't actually teleporting directly from node to node but was going to the nearest waypoint then heading over to the permanent node. When I was done, I would jump to the nearest waypoint for the next permanent node. What you are talking about seems to be jumping from regular node to regular node in the same immediate area without the use of waypoints. Found a reddit post that talks about that. Seems like that kind of direct node to node jumping can be class skills, connection glitches or some kind of hacking: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/87giur/player_teleporting_to_nearest_gathering_node/

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:... ive seen people teleport right into regular mithril nodes quite a bit these days too, and when you see the same character teleporting to different nodes in a short distance(which ive seen), its pretty obvious they arent real players.Ah, thanks Dante. I think I understand my confusion now. I wasn't actually teleporting directly from node to node but was going to the nearest waypoint then heading over to the permanent node. When I was done, I would jump to the nearest waypoint for the next permanent node. What you are talking about seems to be jumping from regular node to regular node in the same immediate area without the use of waypoints. Found a reddit post that talks about that. Seems like that kind of direct node to node jumping can be class skills, connection glitches or some kind of hacking:

Those all have animations, so its not that. The finish mining one node, and instantly appear at the other. No character movement, no skills, no effects, no weapons drawn, instant teleportation from the middle of one node to the middle of another outside of any of the ranges of teleportation skills.

Please note that the post about gathering bots that was quoted some hours ago and caused a slight derail of this thread was almost a year old and still as irrelevant to the specific topic of afk-farming as in January 19th when it was first made ;) Those are actual bots / teleport hacks and are unrelated to what this thread is about.Thank you!

• 7 months later...

So ... I found this thread with Google cause I saw a Necromancer with full set of pets, 25 stacks from Sigil of Stars and "Flesh of the Master" which according to description gives toughness.

He seems pretty afk near the heart at Tribulation Rifs/Dredgehaunt Cliffs and I don't know ... could only be for experience farming (for masteries) - I guess? So this is not okay and should be reported? (I don't want to get warning/ban for false reporting.)

Just FORBID it period, it's dumb and should not be allowed.. there are thousands of people logging several characters running around gathering, doing events you know actually PLAY the game.And here we have bunch of lazy slackers gather stuff with barely any effort (don't care if it's economy relevant or not) .. freeloaders that's what they are.There is no excuse to do this, if you can't play or have to do dishes or WHATEVER.. park you character and do your real life stuff then play when you can.

If I go to work and sneak off in a storage chamber and play 3 hours of poker with my co-workers I can't say, well I AM at work am I not ?.

This is the same thing, and the fantasy that some are behind their keyboard is mehhh, sometimes I saw these groups at really late times or early in the morning.Times when barely anyone is in the map and here we have our AFKérs spinning their Necro or Automating their skills.None of them respond to chat or messages, NONE.. and they suppose to behind their keyboard? .. sure sure :s

@"Luthan.5236" said:I don't want to get warning/ban for false reporting.That's not a thing. As long as you feel your report is justified, ANet wants you to submit it.

"False reporting" is when people make the accusation to grief another player, to cause trouble, or because they just don't like that people are allowed to farm "inattentively."

He seems pretty afk near the heart at Tribulation Rifs/Dredgehaunt Cliffs and I don't know ... could only be for experience farming (for masteries) - I guess? So this is not okay and should be reported?As per the details above, it is not against the rules to be barely paying attention, with a durable build that passively collects loot. ANet only acts if the person is automating (macros, bots, using a rubberband on the mouse, etc) or physically away. (They have a protocol they go through, including whispering the player to see if there's a response.)

Wait so its against the rules to go afk now? What is this mother Russia? Good grief there are many times i have to go afk to take my dog out..shes old, to answer the phone/door, go to the restroom, grab a bite to eat. So im going to get penalized for going afk? This is ridiculous, if you are worried about the AI killing something when im afk and me getting credit for it, then do what wow does kills made from pets minions elementals auto devices like turrets give no loot or credit unless the player actually does a certain percentage of damage to the mob.

@Tiviana.2650 said:Wait so its against the rules to go afk now? What is this mother Russia? Good grief there are many times i have to go afk to take my dog out..shes old, to answer the phone/door, go to the restroom, grab a bite to eat. So im going to get penalized for going afk? This is ridiculous, if you are worried about the AI killing something when im afk and me getting credit for it, then do what wow does kills made from pets minions elementals auto devices like turrets give no loot or credit unless the player actually does a certain percentage of damage to the mob.

No your more than welcome to go afk when needed... it's just players seem to think being afk for hours, days, weeks, months is a tradeable excuse ... why would a player be plugged to the same spot each day all day all week all month...I mean being a single parent I too tend to get a fair amount of dishes to wash and running a business means I tend to have my game time interrupted by clients who insist on taking priority....but after all that I still find time to move positions on a map or relocate to other maps pretty darn regular not pin myself to the same spot where respawning ghosts or jotuns or devourers etc can continuously attack me.But yeah maybe shopping did take a few weeks longer than expected for some players, perhaps the DVD got stuck on replay or maybe they have to do the dishes for the whole city... seems highly plausible to me NOT!

But because ANET have allowed it to go on for so long without any meaningful action (if any, if all those I have collected in my friends list is anything to go by) the afk farms have just been allowed to expand and spread throughout the game unabated

I think this could easily be auto-detected by checking if a movement key has been pressed in a certain time frame. While it is okay - and necessary - to be afk while waiting for certain events (logging in early to get on a populated enough map for TTT worm for example) it feels weird to see someone with minions not even moving where the stuff like sigils/trait bonus clearly hint that he might have made a "durable build" to stay there collecting exp.

They are collecting experience while not even moving ... for hours. Are there a lot of other cases where this could happen (collecting exp + not moving a single inch?) - if not ... then this could at least lead to some auto-logout (send back to char selection). Not giving a warning or ban (since it prevents from collecting more and isn't further checked ... so no false bans that might be possible if someone accidentally went afk in some spot).

I reported the guy I saw for "botting". (I think it has been mentioned here somewhere to use this option.) I don't think he used macros. But hard to check (if you aren't a game master and don't want to whisper him yourself) if he really was afk or not. Can't see people making "durable builds" and sitting at the computer just to be wait to be whispered for a check. They must be afk or doing something else. I hope the time they do when checking by whisipering isn't too long. Longer than 5 minutes could already hint that a person is going afk. ... I mean even checking the screen only every half an hour is stil afk and not "playing". Especially if you put the char intentionally in such a place. Different than "staying in a safe place without collecting anything and checking if some event has started/checking the chat" cause there is no advandate generated.

Then again ... I don't care much since exp is not that important in this game and I don't know if he collected loot as well. But that must be pretty boring to "play" in this way.

I remember being able to "tag" events with turrets and I did it one time in the past (when the game was just released and not very old). But then again I was online and playing most of the time. Just had placed some turret to help at a place where events start. But didn't do much ... since it only could do a bit of damage until it got killed. Nowadays we have tons of easier possibilities to get gold even without actively farming - and the 2g from dailies are enough to just port around to get to events + the system seems better at showing events on the map even if you aren't near.

@Lord Kreegan.8123 said:

@Zet.9130 said:

@Lord Kreegan.8123 said:It's not just AFK farming that is a problem.I am ALWAYS seeing players teleport in to the vicinity of crafting resources (especially rich mineral nodes) to collect the resource and then instantly disappear. That problem has been around for a long time; has been reported many, many times; the offenders have been reported many, many times; and nothing gets done about it.Because it's a waste of time to report it, I don't bother anymore.

Most likely what you are seeing is an alt char logging in harvesting the node then logging out.

Not even close... that takes time. It's the same characters all the time; they pop in, then pop out after harvesting the node. If you want to pretend that's just coincidence, then I have to suggest you're part of that group because NOBODY would believe it "just happens".

You might be experiencing something different but would have to agree, that sounds like toons that are parked. On a solid state drive you can change toons in seconds. I have also parked alts in some spots when needing masses of a given resource. When flax seed oil was needed left about 16 toons at the cluster near the Nuhoch village. Would appear, gather thru the group and log off at the end. Next toon would start where the first started and go same direction. Next day I would have them all work opposite direction and log at the end of the group of plants. You would see everyone else that has mass alts doing the same.

@Theros.1390 said:Hi :)

All is in the title. I just would like to be sure, because some players say it's ok, and I also see many spots, where a lot of players are farming being AFK (with turrets, minions or pets) but some others say it's against the rules. Therefore, I just wanted to make it clear to me.

And no, I'm not an afk farmer player ^^

Thank you in advance for your replies. <3

It is go and enjoy it.

Actually, a mate on FR forum recently told us that he got a 1 week ban, because he was simply AFK, in town. He did nothing more than be in town.

He sent a ticket, and the support told him that "it doesnt matter where you were, the action of being AFK is forbidden" Was this a mistake from the GM who gave the ban ? Is it really not allowed to stay AFK even for 10 min if our character is in town and cannot loot anything ? Eh, that was weird. :)

And also, a whole week is pretty long for an AFK. I thought it was three days for this kind of infraction.

Anyway.

@"Theros.1390" said:Actually, a mate on FR forum recently told us that he got a 1 week ban, because he was simply AFK, in town. He did nothing more than be in town.

He sent a ticket, and the support told him that "it doesnt matter where you were, the action of being AFK is forbidden" Was this a mistake from the GM who gave the ban ? Is it really not allowed to stay AFK even for 10 min if our character is in town and cannot loot anything ? Eh, that was weird. :)

And also, a whole week is pretty long for an AFK. I thought it was three days for this kind of infraction.

Anyway.

Maybe he was mass reported. (You know, people abusing the system.)I've never been banned for AFK. Even when I'm doing it while the meta is going on.

@"Theros.1390" said:Actually, a mate on FR forum recently told us that he got a 1 week ban, because he was simply AFK, in town. He did nothing more than be in town.

Anyway.

Based on what the Support Team leads have posted (and they have posted on this topic more than once)...it seems very unlikely that your FR forum mate has provided all the relevant details.

The most likely scenario I can think of that offers the best light on your buddy: that they were in town when they received the notification that they were suspended from the game. The original AFK violation could have been the day before, or even a month before. Sometimes, they wait to finish the "paperwork" for various reasons.

I've seen the support team leads explicitly say that being AFK isn't the issue; it's earning rewards while being AFK. And near as I can tell, there's no "town" in which one can earn rewards.

Is it really not allowed to stay AFK even for 10 min if our character is in town and cannot loot anything?As indicated above, the devs have said that's fine.

If you are really worried, you can press [f12] and go to the character select screen. The people I know who can't bear to sign out leave their toons in town for hours sometimes and I've never heard of anyone having a problem.