Any Good Post-Patch Builds Out There?

After reading the patch notes it is clear the balance team does not play WvW because the guardian changes are nuts and leaving condi mirage untouched is a blatant misunderstanding of WvW meta. They should just hire the Wooden Potatoes guy to help them. Most of his suggestions are usually really solid in this regard.

@"misterman.1530" said:Well, there was a massive buff to Necros - I mean, Reaper is now OP...Scourge is awesome...I mean...snort...sorry.... making myself laugh here.Anet has no clue what to do with Necros.... though they gave Thieves a great one way port that doesn't need line of sight.

I think you are misusing the word "great" and instead mean "gimpy". The old trap skill that the portal replaced didn't require 3s to arm, moved 10k instead of 5k, refreshed in 45s instead of 60s and worked with Trapper Runes. Sure it didn't take others and was a bit wonky in some terrains but virtually no thieves ran it. Why, skills like Blinding Powder are just flat out better. Preparations are mostly useless outside of niche situations. An enemy will dissect any thief that tries to use preparations in combat unlike the former traps.

@Straegen.2938 said:After reading the patch notes it is clear the balance team does not play WvW because the guardian changes are nuts and leaving condi mirage untouched is a blatant misunderstanding of WvW meta. They should just hire the Wooden Potatoes guy to help them. Most of his suggestions are usually really solid in this regard.

@"misterman.1530" said:Well, there was a massive buff to Necros - I mean, Reaper is now OP...Scourge is awesome...I mean...snort...sorry.... making myself laugh here.Anet has no clue what to do with Necros.... though they gave Thieves a great one way port that doesn't need line of sight.

I think you are misusing the word "great" and instead mean "gimpy". The old trap skill that the portal replaced didn't require 3s to arm, moved 10k instead of 5k, refreshed in 45s instead of 60s and worked with Trapper Runes. Sure it didn't take others and was a bit wonky in some terrains but virtually no thieves ran it. Why, skills like Blinding Powder are just flat out better. Preparations are mostly useless outside of niche situations. An enemy will dissect any thief that tries to use preparations in combat unlike the former traps.

Preperations Will be used thoughtBut same as several DH traps: when defending An camp and use the skill to switch back to old utility after

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

Preperations Will be used thoughtBut same as several DH traps: when defending An camp and use the skill to switch back to old utility after

I have no doubt they will be used. Also Traps were used.

But let face this truth: when devs removed a whole skill pack for releasing a new pack, one would think this new pack should be relevant.

Now, the question, the real point here is: Preparations are relevants for WvW? The answer is no. Anet created the Rune of Trapper thinking in thieves and rangers (DHs don't use this rune, since their traps aren't focused to condition damage), and now, only Ranger can use it... and this is very uncommon.

As @Straegen.2938 pointed, devs are showing a very serious and worrying lack of knowledge about WvW with this kind of changes without sense.

@L A T I O N.8923 said:Preperations Will be used thoughtBut same as several DH traps: when defending An camp and use the skill to switch back to old utility after

The fundamental flaw with preparations is that once they are deployed and sprung, they are effectively dead on a thieves utility bar while he is in combat. It takes 3s to deploy and the thief is vulnerable the entire time. Thieves simply cannot stop moving in combat for more than 1s or they become fodder. DH and Ranger Traps can be deployed ahead of time, sprung and redeployed with no or very little cast time making them still useful once the initial trap has been sprung.

In combat situations the old traps are superior and even they essentially sucked. Thieves rely on their stellar utilities to stay alive/proc damage. Few thieves are going to pick a preparation full time over Shadow Step, Signet of Agility, Blinding Powder, Bandits Defense, Smoke Screen, Roll for Initiative, Binding Shadow, etc. Preparations are a gimmick that might be fun in certain situations but due to their slow deployment are nothing more than niche temporary utilities like Scorpion Wire.