Elite Spec Concept: Swashbuckler

BoxHat.1824

Swashbuckler focuses on making thief into an 'honorable' duelist who excels in 1v1 scenarios and who can inspire allies with tales of his/her (or their enemies) exploits. Swashbuckler lose access to dirty tricks like stealth and blind, instead converting applied blinds into vuln and applied stealth into protection. Swashbucklers must manage quickness and boon applications during battle by stealing tales of victory form their opponents and claiming them for their own

New Weapon: Shield.Shield grants the thief a strong defensive offhand to supplement its offensive main-hand weapons. All the Dual wield skills granted by Shield give a block and a secondary attack which give a bonus effect. The duration of the block is halved and the bonus effect removed in the dual wield skill is cast twice in a row.

Specialization mechanic: Tales of grandeurWhen you steal to an opponent you do not receive a stolen skill. Instead you steal from them a 'tale'. Tales contain a single profession specific boon (eg stealing from a warrior would give a tale of might, a Mesmer would give a tale of alacrity). Tales stack in the F2 slot. Casting your F2 Ability (Proclaim Tales) causes you to apply to yourself all the boons from tales you have collected. Casting Proclaim adds 20 seconds to the cooldown of F1, no matter how many stacks you have, so you are encouraged to generate multiple tales and expend them infrequently. (Improvisation trait doubles the amount of tales you steal). Tales expire after 60 Seconds.

Shield Skill 4: Dash forward (300) and Smack your foe, dazing them. Inflict Weakness if you interrupt an ability.

Shield Skill 5: Generate 1 tale of might and 1 tale of fury.

Sword + Shield: Block for 1.5seconds. if you block an attack riposte with your sword and gain aegis. (block duration halved and aegis not granted if cast twice in a row)

Dagger + Shield: Block for 1.5 Seconds. If you DONT block an attack you automatically cast Steal on your opponent. (block duration halved and no tale stolen if cast twice in a row)

Pistol + Shield: Block for 1.5 seconds while firing 6 confusing shots at your opponent. (block duration and shots fired halved and confusion application duration halved if cast twice in a row)

Traits:

Minor Adept: Gain access to Shields. Steal replaced by Steal Tale.Minor Master: Casting Steal Tale (f1) grants 2 seconds of quickness and 1 tale of quicknessMinor Grandmaster: Blinding a foe instead inflicts 2 stacks of vulnerability. Applying stealth instead applies Protection.

Major Adept: Gain Power. Casting Shield Skill 3 grants bonus Ferocity/Condition DamageMajor Adept: Gain Vitality. Casting Shield Skill 4 grants bonus ToughnessMajor Adept: Gain concentration. Casting Shield Skill 5 grants bonus healing power

Major Master: Selfish Storyteller: Tales grant you 1% bonus damage per stack while they remain untoldMajor Master: Quick and Sturdy: While you have quickness you are immune to Weakness and Chilled. Self quickness from profession mechanic doubled.Major Master: Righteous Knowledge: Proclaim Tales (f2) grants a heal and refunds 6 Initiative. Heal increases by 50% per tale stacked.

Major Grandmaster: Write your own stories: your damage is increased per stack of vulnerability on your opponent. (.5% per stack- total of 12. bonus damage at max stacks)Major Grandmaster: Duelist Challenge: Steal Tale (f1) challenges the targeted opponent for 10 seconds. While challenged they receive 80% reduced damage from your allies and 80 % reduced healing from their allies. Protection grants you 40% reduced damage.Major Grandmaster: Orator: Proclaim tales (f2) now applies all stored boons to 5 allies within 360 Radius.

New utility Type: Shouts.

Shouts are all Instant cast abilities. and generate tales.

Heal: Heal yourself and generate tale of protection and regeneration.

Utility 1: Cant catch this: break stun, generate tale of vigor and swiftness. cripple and chill nearby enemies.Utility 2: (open to ideas)Utility 3: (open to ideas)Utility 4: (open to ideas)

Elite: Become invulnerable for 3 seconds and channel for 3 seconds, immobile. Each second steal a tale from up to 10 enemies within 900 range. At the end of the channel Shout though a megaphone- instacasting (Orator empowered) Proclaim Tales (f2) and dazing all foes within 360 distance.

Swashbuckler lose access to dirty tricks like stealth and blind, instead converting applied blinds into vuln and applied stealth into protection.

no, this is not how to do trade-offs

overall this seems like you just want to play guardian on your thief (in a poorly executed way)

@derd.6413 said:

Swashbuckler lose access to dirty tricks like stealth and blind, instead converting applied blinds into vuln and applied stealth into protection.

overall this seems like you just want to play guardian on your thief (in a poorly executed way)

You literally give up one thing to gain something different. sounds like a trade off to me. How do YOU do tradeoffs?

Honestly i thought it was quite fair considering other classes get traits like applying blind ALSO applied vuln. and thief used to have a SA trait for 33% reduced damage WHILE stealthed (now revealed). This is literally giving up one thing for something different. A tradeoff you might say.

@Ustaf.2953 said:

You literally give up one thing to gain something different. sounds like a trade off to me. How do YOU do tradeoffs?

Honestly i thought it was quite fair considering other classes get traits like applying blind ALSO applied vuln. and thief used to have a SA trait for 33% reduced damage WHILE stealthed (now revealed). This is literally giving up one thing for something different. A tradeoff you might say.

a terrible trade-off, every trade-off either reduces some stats or replaces skills with other skills it never replaces an entire mechanic like stealth for a boon because that's a terrible idea.

@derd.6413 said:

a terrible trade-off, every trade-off either reduces some stats or replaces skills with other skills it never replaces an entire mechanic like stealth for a boon because that's a terrible idea.

This is primarily a support spec. This allows you to support your allies in a unique way by applying 'stealth' to them, granting perma protection and healing over time through shadow arts traits, which now proc on protection rather than stealth.

@Ustaf.2953 said:

This is primarily a support spec. This allows you to support your allies in a unique way by applying 'stealth' to them, granting perma protection and healing over time through shadow arts traits, which now proc on protection rather than stealth.

the purpose of your spec is completely irrelevant to my point, you can make a support spec all you want but do it without deleting an entire mechanic like stealth from the class

@Yasai.3549 said:This sounds more like a Zorro than a Swashbuckler tbh.

Zorro is a good example of a swashbuckler I think. Most people think of pirates when they here swashbuckler but it actually refers to the three-musketeers-type boastful-heroic-swordsmen, which is what I was trying to do a thieves take on here

@Warkind.6745 said:Someone had an idea for a Swashbuckler spec with water fields, leaps, and AoE cannon strikes for utilities and heals. I think that would be a lot more unique and interesting than shout thief.

You know what. That does sound cool. I would like to see thief go in a more piratey direction.