Idea for different Chrono Shatters

Me Games Ma.8426

As everyone around here is I am also unhappy with the new Chrono design.I don't think that the goal should be to remove the class from certain gamemodes but to make actual tradeoffs.Here are a few Ideas that I had that would make chrono interesting instead of dead.

• Idea 1 Loss: Range -- Gain: Damage and Area ControlShatter clones to create AoE effects that follow the mesmer.Example: F1 Shatters your Illusions and creates an AoE on your feet that follows you and deals damage.
  • Idea 2 - Loss: Instant Speed -- Gain: DamageShatters lose the Instant cast, become more powerful and channel longer per illusion shattered.Example: F2 - Becomes a channel skill that pulses a confusion inflicting AoE around the target. Channel is 1/2/3/4 pulses and .5s per pulse.
  • Idea 3 Loss: Power -- Gain Speed (Cooldown)Shatters only shatter a single Illusion but their recharge is heavily reduced (- 50-60%).Example: F3 - Only 1 Clone may be shattered. Cooldown reduced to 15s.
  • Idea 4 Loss: Shattering -- Gain: Phantasms :)Shatters replace clones with Phantasms.Example: F1 - Destroy all your clones and summon a phantasm that deals damage to your target. Damage scales with the number of Clones shattered.

I honestly think they should admit that they are wrong and return chrono to how it was before this patch at least.

I can point on one problem with what you suggested anyway, needing to be close (assuming the range is short) and if it is pulse, I assume you would reduce its damage, even if the damage is the same overall, remember some classes are hard to reach, and some can only be killed with burst.

Bit iffy about AoEs that follow the chrono, ‘specially with something that does 1 clone mind wrack per second (assuming pulses are 1s) with a possible ~35% uptime from just F1 (then chain the other shatters, most ppl would pass on gaining unnecessary confusion and slow any day). Just trying to melee the chrono seems unfairly punishing. Anet will prolly go overboard with CDs and still break the spec in some other way anyway.

If the field was just dropped at your or your clones feet and basically turns that area into dead zone, maybe that would be slightly more acceptable.

@Me Games Ma.8426 said:

• Idea 1 Loss: Range -- Gain: Damage and Area ControlShatter clones to create AoE effects that follow the mesmer.Example: F1 Shatters your Illusions and creates an AoE on your feet that follows you and deals damage.

This. Unless it already is reserved for a future Minstrel spec.

@Heartpains.7312 said:I can point on one problem with what you suggested anyway, needing to be close (assuming the range is short) and if it is pulse, I assume you would reduce its damage, even if the damage is the same overall, remember some classes are hard to reach, and some can only be killed with burst.

Of course, this is a disadvantage. But that's somewhat the point, isn't it? Chrono would be stronger close up while baseline Mesmer has a range advantage.

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:Bit iffy about AoEs that follow the chrono, ‘specially with something that does 1 clone mind wrack per second (assuming pulses are 1s) with a possible ~35% uptime from just F1 (then chain the other shatters, most ppl would pass on gaining unnecessary confusion and slow any day). Just trying to melee the chrono seems unfairly punishing. Anet will prolly go overboard with CDs and still break the spec in some other way anyway.

If the field was just dropped at your or your clones feet and basically turns that area into dead zone, maybe that would be slightly more acceptable.

I thought about dropping it at your feet as well but that's a bit too much like Wells. A mobile effect will be just fine and the tec is available (s. Scourge and Scrapper). And yes... it would be annoying close combat. But it would be easier to fight from range.

@Xaylin.1860 said:

Of course, this is a disadvantage. But that's somewhat the point, isn't it? Chrono would be stronger close up while baseline Mesmer has a range advantage.

No it is not the point, my point is if it have short range, means we need it to deal higher damage than the current shatter, because if it deals less, it is useless, and if it deals more, well ... that might work but close range doesn't work well, not with mesmer current state

I don't think we want to be close to any of the classes.

I still think they should just go back to how chrono shatters were and give up the idea of making shatters special, I mean when chrono first had it superspeed shatters that was amazing back then, because the illusions we shattered had chance of catching someone who is just moving with swiftness.

To give ideas of how to make shatters feels a bit special is not hard, it can be done through traits as well, but the problem is balancing issues.

And it is honestly tiring to have to wait for 3 damn months every time just for a hope ...

@Heartpains.7312 said:

No it is not the point, my point is if it have short range, means we need it to deal higher damage than the current shatter, because if it deals less, it is useless, and if it deals more, well ... that might work but close range doesn't work well, not with mesmer current state

I don't think we want to be close to any of the classes.

The point of e-specs is to alter the playstyle of the respective class. So if Chrono shatters were made superior in close range compared to core Mesmer (which btw. doesn't innately mean 'moah dammage!!!') while having a disadvantage at range... yes, this most certainly would be the point.

Of course, you would have to build less glassy and ANet needs to enable such a playstyle through traits as well. Which might mean 1-2 new traits for Chrono and maaaaybe unnerfing Duelling and instead altering Mirage itself when it overperforms.

Wether one likes to play Mesmer close combat or not is a totally different story. I personally never liked the 2 ranged weapons builds.

The Idea is that chrono would be more oppressive to fight in melee. Like a holosmith for example. A class you don't want to face in close combat because of its high melee damage sustain.But who am I kidding here :D They'll just nerf chrono in 3 months because the PvE confusion spam is too strong lol.