Hi, Can we have a Roadmap for PvE?

@yann.1946 said:

@yann.1946 said:I think their will always be people worrying and they did make a statement about what's to come ( the road map).

Everything on that road map of upcoming features is either already released (final episode of Season 4, latest raid wing) or are things they are developing but not in a final state yet (everything else).

You are saying that the next thing to expect from them is legendary sigils/runes, build templates and cooking to 500?

I'm saying that their is enough on that list to conclude that the layoffs won't cause the game in maintenance mode.

So that they are not a good reason to worry anymore. Ofcourse you can worry but the general trends suggest that the game is going as well as we expect so the doubt atm is in a sense should be nothing more then the general doubt that has been in the air since the game released.

Oh I'm not worried, I think the game isn't doing badly at all. That doesn't prevent me from asking for more "road maps".

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@tim.4596 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:There are many factors. Anet has stated they announced it too early. That the wait between the announcement and the release was too long. Is it true? They seem to think so. I agree. They couldn't sustain the hype for long enough and drew it out. Some people lost interest in the wait.Why then the same didn't happen with PoF even though we knew that expac was being worked on for far longer? And doesn't that suggest that it was
not
the info about them working on the expac that was the issue in HoT case?

Look, we've discussed this to death.Yes, and i still see holes in the reasoning you brought up. The one menioned above being among the most glaring ones.

Your point of view is that they should tell us what they're doing in the future, because they're a company and thy owe it to us.No. I am saying that, especially now, it should be in their own interest to not make people worrying about whether this game has a future.

Other companies do it. My opinion is that they have policy based on their belief and understanding. It's what they believe is best. I'm not even saying I necessarily agree with them. But I do disagree with the idea that somehow they owe is a roadmap prior to when they're ready to release it, whether other companies do that or not. We're never going to agree on this, so I'm just going to let it drop.I don;t think they owe us anything. I just think that, after layoffs, having players worry about the future is not the best idea. They should have put more than just a token effort in trying to reassure everyone that everything is fine. They didn't. So, as i see it, either they don't realize that need (which would mean they are completely out of touch with the community), or things are
not
fine, and they just don't want us to know it.Neither option is good for the future of this game.

I think their will always be people worrying and they did make a statement about what's to come ( the road map).

Yes, but that's an outdated statement in my point of view. They did say that they would prioritize horizontal progression over vertical. However that was before the last raid came out. I know that Anet might think, that a lot of players are just salty, but honestly it's not the case.
I think a lot of players are seriously concerned about what's next, because as much as one might enjoy this game. You simply can't be asked to stay around and wait for the next patch. Like there needs to be something aspiring to do which keeps you wanting to log on into the game to improve, or get that item which is difficult to get etc....

For a starter, I think Anet should beta test their major patch. I know it's got it's pros and cons but in Anet case, I'm pretty sure that the pros will outnumbers the cons. And you still can lock certain content. Not 100% has to be available in beta test of patches.

I would argue that their is more communication then before the layoffs. So the third option is that this thread is out of thouch with the general community and is overestimating the doubt of the community.

I'm going to argue the opposite, the game is designed to come and go as you please, that's been part of their philosophy since GW1, the mere fact that you don't have to play every single day should be an incentive. It's entertainment, it's not a job, it should be something you do for fun and if you no longer find yourself having fun then take a break and then return when you start to miss that fun, that's how it's designed.

They'll never do a beta test server, even if they had one you still wouldn't find everything that could go wrong just because of the nature of their code and how it's all mashed together, besides the fact that there's always that one player that will do the one thing you don't test for. You couldn't possibly have enough people play a beta test server and find everything without having the entire player base play test it, and that's just not sane policy.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@tim.4596 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:There are many factors. Anet has stated they announced it too early. That the wait between the announcement and the release was too long. Is it true? They seem to think so. I agree. They couldn't sustain the hype for long enough and drew it out. Some people lost interest in the wait.Why then the same didn't happen with PoF even though we knew that expac was being worked on for far longer? And doesn't that suggest that it was
not

Look, we've discussed this to death.Yes, and i still see holes in the reasoning you brought up. The one menioned above being among the most glaring ones.

Your point of view is that they should tell us what they're doing in the future, because they're a company and thy owe it to us.No. I am saying that, especially now, it should be in their own interest to not make people worrying about whether this game has a future.

Other companies do it. My opinion is that they have policy based on their belief and understanding. It's what they believe is best. I'm not even saying I necessarily agree with them. But I do disagree with the idea that somehow they owe is a roadmap prior to when they're ready to release it, whether other companies do that or not. We're never going to agree on this, so I'm just going to let it drop.I don;t think they owe us anything. I just think that, after layoffs, having players worry about the future is not the best idea. They should have put more than just a token effort in trying to reassure everyone that everything is fine. They didn't. So, as i see it, either they don't realize that need (which would mean they are completely out of touch with the community), or things are
not
fine, and they just don't want us to know it.Neither option is good for the future of this game.

I think their will always be people worrying and they did make a statement about what's to come ( the road map).

Yes, but that's an outdated statement in my point of view. They did say that they would prioritize horizontal progression over vertical. However that was before the last raid came out. I know that Anet might think, that a lot of players are just salty, but honestly it's not the case.
I think a lot of players are seriously concerned about what's next, because as much as one might enjoy this game. You simply can't be asked to stay around and wait for the next patch. Like there needs to be something aspiring to do which keeps you wanting to log on into the game to improve, or get that item which is difficult to get etc....

For a starter, I think Anet should beta test their major patch. I know it's got it's pros and cons but in Anet case, I'm pretty sure that the pros will outnumbers the cons. And you still can lock certain content. Not 100% has to be available in beta test of patches.

I would argue that their is more communication then before the layoffs. So the third option is that this thread is out of thouch with the general community and is overestimating the doubt of the community.

I'm going to argue the opposite, the game is designed to come and go as you please, that's been part of their philosophy since GW1, the mere fact that you don't have to play every single day should be an incentive. It's entertainment, it's not a job, it should be something you do for fun and if you no longer find yourself having fun then take a break and then return when you start to miss that fun, that's how it's designed.

They'll never do a beta test server, even if they had one you still wouldn't find everything that could go wrong just because of the nature of their code and how it's all mashed together, besides the fact that there's always that one player that will do the one thing you don't test for. You couldn't possibly have enough people play a beta test server and find everything without having the entire player base play test it, and that's just not sane policy.

Theres a diff between not being required to log in and play every single day and not having the content do so because alot of it in on lockout.

Even on a one day bases the game locks out alot of content for yiu after an hour or2 of play, thats not it not forcing you to grind thats it putting a hardcap to the fun u can have plqyong what you want to play.

In gw1 (unless that changed) i can go and farm the dungeons i want all day if i wish so, in gw2i get severe drs for repeating metas, dungeons, fractals and raids.

@Zaklex.6308 said:I'm going to argue the opposite, the game is designed to come and go as you please, that's been part of their philosophy since GW1, the mere fact that you don't have to play every single day should be an incentive.No. the game is designed (or at least claims to be designed) so the casual come and go playstyle isn't punished. That's not the same as being designed around that kind of playstyle, though. Yes, it's good if you don't need to log in everyday if you don't want to, but it's definitely in the game's best interest for you to want it. For devs, the best GW2 player is one that doesn't take breaks (and definitely not long ones).

It's entertainment, it's not a job, it should be something you do for fun and if you no longer find yourself having fun then take a break and then return when you start to miss that fun, that's how it's designed.Agreed on the first part, but not on the second. No MMO game is designed to make players take breaks from it. A game might allow that, but no developer would actually want to encourage it.A game might be designed to let you come back easily if you left for any reason, but it also is designed to encourage you to stay. When it stops doing that...

• 2 weeks later...

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@tim.4596 said:

not

not

When I referred to the beta server, I was more concerned about certain game content being too easy. Such as raids. If W7 had had a beta release they could have adjusted the difficulty of Challenge Mode, or at least realise some Guilds cleared it in 2h. I know this subject has been bashed and re-bashed but it is very real. The hardcore scene of GW2 is dying.

@tim.4596 said:

@tim.4596 said:

not

not

When I referred to the beta server, I was more concerned about certain game content being too easy. Such as raids. If W7 had had a beta release they could have adjusted the difficulty of Challenge Mode, or at least realise some Guilds cleared it in 2h. I know this subject has been bashed and re-bashed but it is very real. The hardcore scene of GW2 is dying.

I'm not sure how much the hard core scene dying would actually hurt the game. It would hurt people who like that content, but I'm not convinced that trying to appease that segement of the player base hasn't actually damaged the game more than it's helped. This game was casual for too long to change it to harder core without expecting major backlash.

@Vayne.8563 said:I'm not sure how much the hard core scene dying would actually hurt the game.

Well, the hard core scene is dying and according to many the casual scene is thriving (seeing new players with low AP around and such) so we'll see how much of an effect the decline of the hard core scene will have when they release their next earnings reports.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:I'm not sure how much the hard core scene dying would actually hurt the game.

Well, the hard core scene is dying and according to many the casual scene is thriving (seeing new players with low AP around and such) so we'll see how much of an effect the decline of the hard core scene will have when they release their next earnings reports.

I'd expect a steady decline in sales over time, tbh. The thing that brings the sales in mostly are expansions. It's a cycle. Expansions come out, people come in, play and start falling off again and the next expansion brings people back. I can't imagine it would stay the same indefinitely. At some point it would have to decline. I mean I don't spend nearly as much in the gem store as I used to, because I have more than enough of everything. Something has to be very very very good now for me to part with my money, and that wasn't always the case. And new people are not going to out number people who've been here a while. That's why I do expect an expansion at some point. I simply expect the expansions to be used strategically when they're needed. They'll announce it when it makes sense for them to from a business point of view. I have no evidence of this, it's just my own belief.

@tim.4596 said:

Let's not get too sensational here ... the dedicated players (I'm going to assume you mean semi to high frequency players) don't need Anet to come hold their hands with promises of what's coming every 2 months. We have 7 years of experience in this game to have a general understanding of what we will see and what kind of content it will be. In fact, I would say the LESS a player is dedicated, the MORE they demand these updates because they play for very specific interests.

Sorry, but could you elaborate a bit more, because I'm failing to see how this make sense.

I'm a relatively dedicated player as long as there is content, and even when there is no content, I still try to keep myself busy within the game. I however do not spam achievement as this doesn't make much sense to me, and it is not something which I enjoy. But I'm interested in what's about to come next for GW2 PvE content, because right now the game is making me wonder whether or not I should just log into the game everytime they release somethign new, play for 1 to 2 weeks and then stop again while playing again. And in all honesty, this is the last thing which I'd want.

The problem is that you seemingly define endgame content solely as raids and fractals. This game thrives on open world releases (and always has) - that is their primary form of end game content, and the primary way they provide new, ongoing things for players to do. And, they do a decent (not perfect) job of keeping it meaningful and compelling, whether it be through advancing a storyline or just sprucing up a recurring holiday event. It may not be the content you most want, but it is what has kept this game alive for as long as it has been.

Raids and fractals have their place in the game, but if you try to define them as the main draw of the game (something they will likely never be in the devs eyes), then you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. They are just too niche to warrant updates at a frequency greater than we are seeing now.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:Anet is not going to tell you when they next raid is coming out, nor should they. Too much can happen in this industry in too short a time. No reason to build expectations only to later have people call them liars. Not like it hasn't happened already.

Every other company can do it, so why can't Anet?

Every other company? I think you should give me a source on that, because I've played quite a few games that don't. Hyperbole doesn't win arguments.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:Anet is not going to tell you when they next raid is coming out, nor should they. Too much can happen in this industry in too short a time. No reason to build expectations only to later have people call them liars. Not like it hasn't happened already.

Every other company? I think you should give me a source on that, because I've played quite a few games that don't. Hyperbole doesn't win arguments.

Stop with the rhetoric please. But to make it - although apparent - clear: every other company which released MMOs and I played. which are about 6-7 games. These companies all had constant flow of news what they will release in the near future as well as expansions every 2-3 years.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Stop with the rhetoric please. But to make it - although apparent - clear: every other company which released MMOs and I played. which are about 6-7 games. These companies all had constant flow of news what they will release in the near future as well as expansions every 2-3 years.

So it's just not the case. I played a lot of Rift in the day and I didn't feel they were that communicative. Sure there's a marketing department that tells you some stuff, while they sneak other stuff in that some games don't tell you about. Take what happened with Archeage, or Bless, both games that had fairly high anticipation. The stuff people really needed to know wasn't told at all. All they did was hype what they wanted you to hear. Didn't go too well for those companies. You make it sound like every company has the resources of WoW or Final Fantasy but it's not necessarily. There are a lot of MMOs out there that just don't communicate well or completely. And some obviously do.

@Vayne.8563 said:

So it's just not the case. I played a lot of Rift in the day and I didn't feel they were that communicative. Sure there's a marketing department that tells you some stuff, while they sneak other stuff in that some games don't tell you about. Take what happened with Archeage, or Bless, both games that had fairly high anticipation. The stuff people really needed to know wasn't told at all. All they did was hype what they wanted you to hear. Didn't go too well for those companies. You make it sound like every company has the resources of WoW or Final Fantasy but it's not necessarily. There are a lot of MMOs out there that just don't communicate well or completely. And some obviously do.

Okay, fair enough, I usually play the high profile ones as games like Archage and Bless looked to me like crap anyways.

I dunno why they insist on saying nothing. This game is SEVEN years old. There is no hype around it now and they do absolutely nothing to even address this. I mean I got my value for money from it, but considering it's now their sole franchise, you'd think they would put out even a general statement of their intentions.

@lightinthedark.2596 said:I dunno why they insist on saying nothing.I always thought it was less about not wanting to reveal too soon what they work on, and more about not wanting us to learn what they don't work on.

This way, some people might stay even though they don't like the direction the game is going towards, because they might have hope that direction may change in the future. Anet wouln't want such people to learn too early there's no chance of their hopes getting realized, would they.