Any class of Mesmer in WVW...

BuungBuung.2168

The zerg hasnt "needed" the mesmer for a long, long time. Its been guard/necro/rev and push through the enemy zerg before they push you for years.

They've been brought mostly for the utility of pull, portal and veil - boonsharing is a happy accident that just happen to coincide well with a full minstrel build, but no one actually care about that. At best, guilds could use one if they where a smaller group, not a zerg.

Afaik the utility remains the same today as it was prepatch, but I dont play zerg mesmer anymore.

If you want to roam, the shatter mirage is still one of the best duelists that exist. The build does good enough as a dps backliner. No one can stop you from following a zerg.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:The zerg hasnt "needed" the mesmer for a long, long time. Its been guard/necro/rev and push through the enemy zerg before they push you for years.

They've been brought mostly for the utility of pull, portal and veil - boonsharing is a happy accident that just happen to coincide well with a full minstrel build, but no one actually care about that. At best, guilds could use one if they where a smaller group, not a zerg.

Afaik the utility remains the same today as it was prepatch, but I dont play zerg mesmer anymore.

If you want to roam, the shatter mirage is still one of the best duelists that exist. The build does good enough as a dps backliner. No one can stop you from following a zerg.

There's a number of things that changed. Firstly, you can't cs major skills like gravity well or shield 5. Additionally, you can't dry shatter for alacrity upkeep, but more importantly for condition removal and healing. Also, you'd usually run BD for stability so that you were self-sufficient on that...but you can't do that either anymore. It's both quite bit worse and also much more annoying to play.

Mirage is definitely a great roamer, but it's a pretty terrible dps backliner. Obviously you can follow any group however you want, but no good Commander is going to put a mirage into a party with support because of how bad it is. You'd be able to do substantially more with almost zero experience on either herald or scourge.

I'll say that Mesmer utility: portals, veil, and pulls, are still very powerful in a zerg. If Scrapper play sees decline (still early), there will be less availability for mass stealth, and whatever Scrappers are around, they no longer have access to Detection Pulse, making stealth bombs even more powerful.

How you build it though? I have no idea. But any zerg will benefit from having at least 1 Mesmer included.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:I'll say that Mesmer utility: portals, veil, and pulls, are still very powerful in a zerg. If Scrapper play sees decline (still early), there will be less availability for mass stealth, and whatever Scrappers are around, they no longer have access to Detection Pulse, making stealth bombs even more powerful.

How you build it though? I have no idea. But any zerg will benefit from having at least 1 Mesmer included.

Unfortunately, mesmer is mostly useless for doing actual stealth attacks. You have veil, of course, but that's countered by movement and positioning, not reveals. Mass invis is incredible in theory, but terrible in practice. It has a 10 target limit, but there's no practical way to set priority for effects in a squad past the part size of 5. In theory you could stealth 20 people with 2 mesmers, but in practice you'll always have several people that randomly don't get stealth, along with several people that randomly double up on duration.

Scrappers also aren't going anywhere. Their defensive and sustain utility is simply too powerful to sacrifice, so access to the stealth field will remain. Loss of detection pulse is definitely an interesting issue though, but will probably be solved by using warriors for it, or other engineer traiting possibilities.

Any group I run I am always happy to have 1/2 mesmers as long as they have 1 particular ability equipped. Ive thanked some mesmers for doing so as it helped me zergbust with a smaller size group. If they are willing to equip it, i dont care what the rest of their build is like as long as they can follow direction.