Which weapon would you like to see for third elite ?

Kulvar.1239

@narcx.3570 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice
unless
we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

He uses a sword with both one hand and two in the Factions trailer.

However, Viktor has the same problem Togo has - his claim to fame is that he took part in bringing down Shiro. Shiro is the focus of the legend - we primarily know about Togo, Viktor, Archemorus, and Vizu due to their interactions with Shiro. It's possible that without Shiro, they would have all made names for themselves independently - but it's Shiro who's the dominant figure in their stories, and it's Shiro's impact on the world that echoed into the Mists and created a source of revenant power.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

unless
we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

However, Viktor has the same problem Togo has - his claim to fame is that he took part in bringing down Shiro. Shiro is the focus of the legend - we primarily know about Togo, Viktor, Archemorus, and Vizu due to their interactions with Shiro. It's possible that without Shiro, they would have all made names for themselves independently - but it's Shiro who's the dominant figure in their stories, and it's Shiro's impact on the world that echoed into the Mists and created a source of revenant power.

I think it’s worth noting Togo had already made a name for himself before he helped deal with Shiro in Factions. In terms of lore he was a celebrated hero who directly influenced the end of the Tengu Wars. And of course he’s also the respected headmaster of Shing Jea Island, which isn’t just some “nobody” role in terms of canthan culture. Most of our time playing with him is spent with him fighting Shiro, true, but his legend and lore is certainly not entirely based around Shiro and he’s definitely not important solely because of Shiro. While other figures mentioned above like Archemorous wouldn’t be nearly as important without Shiro, Togo absolutely would have been due to his entire life’s work prior to the short amount of time before he’s killed in Factions with the Shiro resurrection.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

unless

I think it’s worth noting Togo had already made a name for himself before he helped deal with Shiro in Factions. In terms of lore he was a celebrated hero who directly influenced the end of the Tengu Wars. And of course he’s also the respected headmaster of Shing Jea Island, which isn’t just some “nobody” role in terms of canthan culture. Most of our time playing with him is spent with him fighting Shiro, true, but his legend and lore is certainly not entirely based around Shiro and he’s definitely not important solely because of Shiro. While other figures mentioned above like Archemorous wouldn’t be nearly as important without Shiro, Togo absolutely would have been due to his entire life’s work prior to the short amount of time before he’s killed in Factions with the Shiro resurrection.

He wasn't a nobody, but he just hasn't had the impact that the others have had. Jalis, Ventari, and Kalla transformed entire races. Mallyx essentially represents Nightfall and the war of the gods that preceded it (being the most powerful servant of Abaddon, noting that gods seem to be too powerful to be eligible), while Shiro represents the Jade Wind and the Affliction, and Glint the Flameseeker Prophecies and the effort to rebalance magic.

Compared to this... Togo was a diplomat and the master of a school that he didn't found himself. He likely has other achievements, but they weren't major enough for us to hear about them. This isn't insignificant, but he's not on the level of the existing legends.

(It's also worth noting that Viktor and Archemorus likely had some impressive achievements under their respective belts to be appointed as the Kurzick and Luxon champions. It's just that fighting Shiro became the climax (and end) of their careers and the part that gets remembered because Shiro's impact was that much greater.)

@draxynnic.3719 said:

unless

He wasn't a nobody, but he just hasn't had the impact that the others have had. Jalis, Ventari, and Kalla transformed entire races. Mallyx essentially represents Nightfall and the war of the gods that preceded it (being the most powerful servant of Abaddon, noting that gods seem to be
too
powerful to be eligible), while Shiro represents the Jade Wind and the Affliction, and Glint the Flameseeker Prophecies and the effort to rebalance magic.

Compared to this... Togo was a diplomat and the master of a school that he didn't found himself. He likely has other achievements, but they weren't major enough for us to hear about them. This isn't insignificant, but he's not on the level of the existing legends.

(It's also worth noting that Viktor and Archemorus likely had some impressive achievements under their respective belts to be appointed as the Kurzick and Luxon champions. It's just that fighting Shiro became the climax (and end) of their careers and the part that gets remembered because Shiro's impact was that much greater.)

If you're basing it on impact alone, I just want to point out that Mallyx did literally nothing. Sure, he was Abbadon's most powerful Lieutenant or whatever, but he never even left the the realm of torment... Before he could even do one thing, he got curb stomped into oblivion by 8 people who invaded the Domain of Anguish and spammed SoS all over him.

There's a much better case to be made for Varesh if they really needed a NF-based, non-god badguy... She's the one who tore reality asunder to unleash Nightfall... Mallyx just sat in his room.

@"draxynnic.3719" said:Frankly, I'm inclined to think it's the wrong question for revenant...

Which legend should revenant get next?

• I wouldn't be against a mursaat legend named Komalie. The e-spec could either develop the traits of the mursaats, the idea of sealing titans (since it was the purpose of the door of komalie) or both.
  • I'd also like a an e-spec using the hylek goddess Ameyalli as a legend. The e-spec could embodie the traits of the hileks (ex: poisonous) and the jungle (since Ameyalli is supposed to be the spirit of the jungle).
  • I'd love to see an e-spec with the owl as a legend. The e-spec granting the revenant the norn ability to transform into the owl and the traits of the owl as utility skills.
  • Asuras also ought to have a legend to channel. It could be linked to their belief in eternal alchemy with each "traitline" enforcing the idea of one of their college: statics (expertise/concentration), synergetics (combos) and dynamics (chaotic/random effects)
  • Kaits can also make for a great underwater e-spec concepts. The e-spec could borrow the name of Oratuss from the krait priests and have skills revolving around dark magic... It could even be closer to the gw necromancer than the gw2 necromancer is.
  • A skriit e-spec could be a fun idea featuring the legendary shinny collector. The e-spec's mechanism skill could a forage like skill and the legend utilities some trap like skills.

@narcx.3570 said:

unless

He wasn't a nobody, but he just hasn't had the impact that the others have had. Jalis, Ventari, and Kalla transformed entire races. Mallyx essentially represents Nightfall and the war of the gods that preceded it (being the most powerful servant of Abaddon, noting that gods seem to be
too
powerful to be eligible), while Shiro represents the Jade Wind and the Affliction, and Glint the Flameseeker Prophecies and the effort to rebalance magic.

If you're basing it on impact alone, I just want to point out that Mallyx did literally nothing. Sure, he was Abbadon's most powerful Lieutenant or whatever, but he never even left the the realm of torment... Before he could even do one thing, he got curb stomped into oblivion by 8 people who invaded the Domain of Anguish and spammed SoS all over him.

There's a much better case to be made for Varesh if they really needed a NF-based, non-god badguy... She's the one who tore reality asunder to unleash Nightfall... Mallyx just sat in his room.

I think there's more to Mallyx's story than just our ending of it. Game mechanics-wise, sure, he just sat in his room until we got to him, but he was presented as a serious threat in the Domain of Anguish, and it was pretty clear that allied forces were taking a beating before we intervened. And that's without considering what Mallyx might have done to help bring about Nightfall from the inside before we arrived, and even what he might have done before being sealed in the Realm of Torment in the first place (he's said to be a Margonite, so he was human once). There's also the element of him being the most powerful of the demons, and therefore, more representative of Nightfall and the Realm of Torment on the whole than Varesh, who was human apart from the last few minutes of her existence.

I don't think you rise to become Abaddon's second-in-charge without doing some seriously impressive stuff along the way, even if we haven't heard of it.

In Varesh's case... I definitely see your argument, but I think the distinction is that Varesh only came in over the last few years of something which had been brewing for centuries. From the perspective of Tyrians, Varesh might be the more significant, but from the perspective of the Mists, Mallyx had been a driving force behind the efforts to pull Tyria into the Realm of Torment right from the beginning, and Varesh was just the final puppet of that. Granted, Abaddon is more important, but if my hypothesis that gods and elder dragons aren't valid candidates is correct, Mallyx comes up right behind Abaddon.

Being forced to use mace/axe for condi builds is a little obnoxious. Revs need a hybrid or condi-focused melee weapon option. I'd be mostly fine with either Greatsword or MH Axe. We arguably should just get MH Axe as core, with Greatsword being the next elite.

I actually wish they would stop making weapon choices so focused on power or condi and try to hybridize them more with the power vs condi focus coming more from traits and gear. This would lead to a lot more flexibility.

Duel-wielding foci so I can have a punchie elite spec. Though I would not mind having a greatsword or twin daggers either, but it all depends on the legend for me.

For the foci: Killroy Stonekin, chances are this would never happenGreatsword: asgeir dragonrenderTwin daggers: Svanir, because I believe that we need more antagonist legends in the revenants arsenal

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Being forced to use mace/axe for condi builds is a little obnoxious. Revs need a hybrid or condi-focused melee weapon option. I'd be mostly fine with either Greatsword or MH Axe. We arguably should just get MH Axe as core, with Greatsword being the next elite.

I actually wish they would stop making weapon choices so focused on power or condi and try to hybridize them more with the power vs condi focus coming more from traits and gear. This would lead to a lot more flexibility.

We could go full hybrid if Revenant had Trident Treatment across all weapons. No need to design a specific weapon for it. I think Trident Treatment would give a lot more than a single weapon added to Core.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Being forced to use mace/axe for condi builds is a little obnoxious. Revs need a hybrid or condi-focused melee weapon option. I'd be mostly fine with either Greatsword or MH Axe. We arguably should just get MH Axe as core, with Greatsword being the next elite.

We could go full hybrid if Revenant had Trident Treatment across all weapons. No need to design a specific weapon for it. I think Trident Treatment would give a lot more than a single weapon added to Core.

And have 0 condi dmg when in any other stance than Mallyx. No i dont think thats good idea.

• 9 months later...

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Greatsword is my favorite weapon in the game, and given my Rev is a Charr...well...

Just please don't make the GS a condition weapon....

I would say if any class is getting GS as an elite spec weapon, then it should be condition based.

Greatsword can get used by 5 classes so far: warrior, guardian, ranger, mesmer, and necromancer (reaper)And all 5 kits for the greatsword so far are scaling with power. Would be time for a change.

Anyway, I would like revenants to get the scepter next, because I would like to see an elite spec that is based on the ritualists from gw1's faction expansion. Scepter would be the most natural weapon choice for such a spec and scepter has never been used in an elite spec to this point.

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Greatsword is my favorite weapon in the game, and given my Rev is a Charr...well...

There's already shortbox / axe+mace for condition damage.But there's already hammer / sword+sword for melee direct damage.So everything is possible, and Arena.net like to make original things for revenant weapons (melee staff, range hammer)

I totally a agree with you. The original thing we can get for rev is "good greatsword". That would be first for our elite specs to actually be solid and useful totally unique and complete curveball for this class.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Greatsword is my favorite weapon in the game, and given my Rev is a Charr...well...

I would say if any class is getting GS as an elite spec weapon, then it should be condition based.

Greatsword can get used by 5 classes so far: warrior, guardian, ranger, mesmer, and necromancer (reaper)And all 5 kits for the greatsword so far are scaling with power. Would be time for a change.

Anyway, I would like revenants to get the scepter next, because I would like to see an elite spec that is based on the ritualists from gw1's faction expansion. Scepter would be the most natural weapon choice for such a spec and scepter has never been used in an elite spec to this point.

Imagine if we get scepter + focus ! Mallyx + Ipos :)

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Greatsword is my favorite weapon in the game, and given my Rev is a Charr...well...

I want to be honest, I don't think that they will give any class access to 2 different weapon (like scepter and focus).It didn't happen before. We just got 1 example of wielding weapons for both mainhand and offhand and it still has been the same weapon type (spellbreaker with dual daggers).

You can hope for it, of course, but I think the chances for something like this happening are extremely low. Especially since elite specs are uniform by having the first trait always called "x mastery" (x being the weapon). Having one elite spec suddenly with a trait called "scepter and focus mastery" would be hella weird.

@Kodama.6453 said:

I want to be honest, I don't think that they will give any class access to 2 different weapon (like scepter and focus).It didn't happen before. We just got 1 example of wielding weapons for both mainhand and offhand and it still has been the same weapon type (spellbreaker with dual daggers).

You can hope for it, of course, but I think the chances for something like this happening are extremely low. Especially since elite specs are uniform by having the first trait always called "x mastery" (x being the weapon). Having one elite spec suddenly with a trait called "scepter and focus mastery" would be hella weird.

If it makes sense for the spec, in terms of both necessity and theme, they’ll likely do it. They’ve already shown that they can do it and will give it based on theme alone, completely ignoring necessity (spellbreaker). Right now on revenant, both sword offhand and axe offhand wouldn’t necessarily be great weapons to pair with a Scepter mainhand, which boosts the likelihood of it happening imo.

More importantly, while yes, Spellbreaker does only get “1 weapon type” they actually get two weapons. Dagger mainhand and dagger offhand aren’t coded the same and aren’t treated the same. Theres not even a good argument to be made that “spellbreaker needed the 2nd dagger to fill a void that the class was missing” since Warrior has access to several great offhands already. So they only gave it to warrior due to thematic purposes. Definitely wasn’t out of necessity.

And as for being “hella weird” that’s not a great argument, since Spellbreakers trait is already “hella weird” since it lists “daggers” in its description and states that you can wield them “in both hands” which breaks all other elite spec precedent as well.

@Kulvar.1239 said:Imagine if we get scepter + focus ! Mallyx + Ipos :)

Would absolutely be ideal :)

There are way to many Greatsword addicts in this thread.I'm tired of seeing so many over-sized chunks of Metal/other materials everywhere.

Mid-range throwing daggers would be an interesting new gameplay and Revenants are in dire need of a proper ranged weapon, be it power or condi.Anet successfully makes Hammer worse every time they touch it and Shortbow hasn't been great since PoF release.

@Fueki.4753 said:There are way to many Greatsword addicts in this thread.I'm tired of seeing so many over-sized chunks of Metal/other materials everywhere.

Mid-range throwing daggers would be an interesting new gameplay and Revenants are in dire need of a proper ranged weapon, be it power or condi.Anet successfully makes Hammer worse every time they touch it and Shortbow hasn't been great since PoF release.

So what make u think that youll receive a good ranged weapon? Hint it will be the same trash as the other options we have now. Pass. Solution is to rework hammer and shortbow, not add another junk.

I am personally up for a gs whenever it be a condition or power based, i want it a pure single target weapon with heavy dps. Let the mace and sword stay aoe. If sword is aoe at all cuz fk know with it identify crisis

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:If sword is aoe at all cuz kitten know with it identify crisis

Sword has never been meant to be high AoE damage. All the skills, including the two AoE ones (Isolation/Wave) do higher damage against a single target. So Sword already fills in the "single target dps" type weapon.

Not really. Like you said skills are aoe oriented. Split damage is simply a retarded mechanic placed for no reason to make it awful in aoe settings. And a reminder that no other weapon in the entire game suffer from the same issue. This is why i will never use sword again unless its changed. Worth to mention that at the same time sword aa scales better with multiple opponents - rift dmg. Imo from design standpoint sword makes no sense bc its neither single nor aoe weapon rn.

What i mean by pure single target weapon is a limit to 1 target at the time with aa to 3 maybe

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:If sword is aoe at all cuz kitten know with it identify crisis

Sword has never been meant to be high AoE damage. All the skills, including the two AoE ones (Isolation/Wave) do higher damage against a single target. So Sword already fills in the "single target dps" type weapon.

Not really. Like you said skills are aoe oriented. Split damage is simply a kitten mechanic placed for no reason to make it awful in aoe settings. And a reminder that no other weapon in the entire game suffer from the same issue. This is why i will never use sword again unless its changed. Worth to mention that at the same time sword aa scales better with multiple opponents - rift dmg. Imo from design standpoint sword makes no sense bc its neither single nor aoe weapon rn.

What i mean by pure single target weapon is a limit to 1 target at the time with aa to 3 maybe

Sword is meant to isolate a target and Assassinate it. That’s the playstyle. They’ve merely added A small amount of extra AoE to the kit to make it more viable in crowds (still bad for cleave generally), but the theme of the weapon has always been “isolate and assassinate single target.”

Autoattacks are outliers. All melee weapons in the game strike at least two targets and “do more damage in a crowd” so I wouldn’t use that as a benchmark for being a primarily “AoE” weapons.

Eh 1 target at a time isn’t great in GW2 and inherently limiting. Asking for a 1 target spec is like asking for it to not be efficient. Also rev lacks a proper AoE power damage spec (hammer doesn’t count), so GS should fill that niche (if we were to not get GS, I’d rather scepter + focus for that role).