Core only abilities

nopoet.2960

It might be fun to add core only abilities to the game. Essentially abilities that would go away if you chose an elite spec. The goal is to be fun and thematic rather than adding power. Here's my list:

Engineer: When engineers use an environmental weapon it explodes. Also when engineers defeat an enemy there is a 15% chance it will create a relevant environmental weapon.

Elementalist: When they take elemental damage they are attuned to it slightly reduces the cool down on weapon skills. Not by a lot but just enough for you to consider maybe standing in the fire and calling it alacrity

Guardian: All heals to the Guardian over 100% will spill over to the most damaged ally within 900 units

Mesmer: Out of combat, mesmers can use illusions to interact with the world allowing them to do stuff at range; gathering resources, resurecting allies, and looting for example. The illusions would vanish if attacked or if the mesmer enters combat.

Necromancer: Necros res other players at twice the speed as everyone else but loose half a percent of health per second while doing it. Also resurrecting a necro grants the resurrector quickness.

Ranger: After killing an enemy a ranger can track that type of enemy on the mini map for a few minutes. Tracking a type of enemy gives a small, like 1 percent, damage reduction agaist that kind of foe.

Revenant: Revenants can see hostel npcs a few seconds before they spawn

Thief: Thieves can see enemy traps they are close to (like in melee range). They can also reset any trap they are near when it trips; including their own. Reset traps are lesser versions of the original and can't be reset.

Warriors: Warriors respond to shouts they hear by repeating it duplicating the effect to a lesser degree.

What do you guys think?

I think its simply very much unnecessary. Anet is already trying to (and claims to) incorporate trade-offs in to Elite Specs, take Daredevil for example, equiping that Spec will remove your Ability to Steal at 1200 range.However in my opinion Anet kind of sucks at making those Trade-offs visible/meaningful, yet still your way is too unnecessary, not long ago Anet said they are looking in to improving/adjusting the trade-offs between Elite Spec and Core to make them more meaningful so I'd leave them to it instead.

More reason to play core would be good, once a player has upgraded to HoT or PoF there does not seem much reason to ever notice Core anymore. This is especially true for Mesmer, where none of the profession skills change, they just become additions and current gameplay remains fairly static (okay Mirage dodge is better in some situations).

I would love using clones out of combat for all sorts of operations on Core only, would play Core for PvE all the time then.

• 2 weeks later...

@nopoet.2960 said:It might be fun to add core only abilities to the game. Essentially abilities that would go away if you chose an elite spec. The goal is to be fun and thematic rather than adding power. Here's my list:

Engineer: When engineers use an environmental weapon it explodes. Also when engineers defeat an enemy there is a 15% chance it will create a relevant environmental weapon.

Engineers used to be fun and thematic. Used to be. They don't need environmental weapons. They already have enough dubious utilities, kits, weapons, and speclines that either severely under-perform or don't work properly. They don't need another one. Also, after this patch the bit about defeating enemies might be a bit of a hard sell. Just saying.

Core mesmer doesnt need a core skill. Its benefit already is that it isn't a Chrono :)

Necro does have its Death Shroud which anet is currently attempting to buff up. Though the trajectory on one of the skills feels a bit clunky and broken.

Guardian: that looks like it'd be pretty good! But FB would still beat it.

Thief: traps as in WvW traps??