Staff Thief

Vicariuz.1605

We understood the issue with extreme evade and invuln frame chaining with chrono was a serious issue, and while staff thief is no bunker chrono, it is exactly the same idea.

Should we see a change to a side noder that does nothing but evade chain with a vault for 7k here and there?

Most of that evasion comes from using staff skills, which..requires attacking, so its not just "a Vault here and there".. You literally don't get the endurance regen without doing other things because only part of it comes from Vigor and food.

Also, try the Weakness condition, and boon corruptions/removal?

Having played staff thief, the main weakness is an immobilise or non-Daze CC* during one of the non-evading frames followed by a burst. High power damage fields can also catch them in their vulnerable frames (condition fields and lower power damage fields will get mitigated by Escapist's Fortitude).

*Daze combined with Immobilise would work, but staff thief is very resistant to daze alone because they can just keep using Bounding Dodge.

@"Vicariuz.1605" said:We understood the issue with extreme evade and invuln frame chaining with chrono was a serious issue, and while staff thief is no bunker chrono, it is exactly the same idea.

Should we see a change to a side noder that does nothing but evade chain with a vault for 7k here and there?

The idea may be similar but its execution is different, all of Staff DD evades have considerably long after cast that Thief can not avoid so it is a free CC/DMG window.Staff Thief dmg is mediocre at best except Vault, but then Vault is not only easily interruptable it is also easily avoidable because it is the only skill you need to dodge. Most of the professions out-dmg thief in a "DPS contest" meaning that based on what profession you are playing you can afford to just stand and dps for considerably longer periods of time than the Thief. I don't deny Staff DrD has lots of Evades in both Weapons and Traitline, but consider that it is only becuase it is heavily invested in it and is the only thing it can do Evade and Deal mediocre-dmg, if it was actually effective or dangerous then we'd see it as a viable/meta side-noder, but it is not because it just does two things only and in a very predictable fasion. No protection, no stealth, no heals, no regen, no combo-fields, no invul. It is just too much of a simple/gimmick-gameplay to be nerfed even further than it already was.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Most of that evasion comes from using staff skills, which..requires attacking, so its not just "a Vault here and there".. You literally don't get the endurance regen without doing other things because only part of it comes from Vigor and food.

Also, try the Weakness condition, and boon corruptions/removal?

weakness gets removed when they evade an attack, and jump staff 3 is literally spammable along with their regular dodges, don't forget the staff thief has perma weakness application. you are not corrupting boons on a jump3/dodge spamming staff thief.

the way u beat a staff thief is forcing it into a teamfight or 3v1ing it (and then yes, it dies in like 5 seconds). if you think it's so simple to defeat pls record ur 1v1 with anya or any other staff thief player who actually can play it.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@"Vicariuz.1605" said:We understood the issue with extreme evade and invuln frame chaining with chrono was a serious issue, and while staff thief is no bunker chrono, it is exactly the same idea.

The idea may be similar but its execution is different, all of Staff DD evades have considerably long after cast that Thief can not avoid so it is a free CC/DMG window.Staff Thief dmg is mediocre at best except Vault, but then Vault is not only easily interruptable it is also easily avoidable because it is the only skill you need to dodge. Most of the professions out-dmg thief in a "DPS contest" meaning that based on what profession you are playing you can afford to just stand and dps for considerably longer periods of time than the Thief. I don't deny Staff DrD has lots of Evades in both Weapons and Traitline, but consider that it is only becuase it is heavily invested in it and is the only thing it can do Evade and Deal mediocre-dmg, if it was
actually
effective or dangerous then we'd see it as a viable/meta side-noder, but it is not because it just does two things only and in a very predictable fasion. No protection, no stealth, no heals, no regen, no combo-fields, no invul. It is just too much of a simple/gimmick-gameplay to be nerfed even further than it already was.

considerably long aftercasts? are u serious? lmfao.

its hilarious how many people in here have no idea what a real staff thief looks or acts like.

feel FREE to record yourself 1v1ing a plat3+ staff/staff thief and posting it for my education.

@Vicariuz.1605 said:

@Vicariuz.1605 said:We understood the issue with extreme evade and invuln frame chaining with chrono was a serious issue, and while staff thief is no bunker chrono, it is exactly the same idea.

The idea may be similar but its execution is different, all of Staff DD evades have considerably long after cast that Thief can not avoid so it is a free CC/DMG window.Staff Thief dmg is mediocre at best except Vault, but then Vault is not only easily interruptable it is also easily avoidable because it is the only skill you need to dodge. Most of the professions out-dmg thief in a "DPS contest" meaning that based on what profession you are playing you can afford to just stand and dps for considerably longer periods of time than the Thief. I don't deny Staff DrD has lots of Evades in both Weapons and Traitline, but consider that it is only becuase it is heavily invested in it and is the only thing it can do Evade and Deal mediocre-dmg, if it was
actually
effective or dangerous then we'd see it as a viable/meta side-noder, but it is not because it just does two things only and in a very predictable fasion. No protection, no stealth, no heals, no regen, no combo-fields, no invul. It is just too much of a simple/gimmick-gameplay to be nerfed even further than it already was.

its hilarious how many people in here have no idea what a real staff thief looks or acts like.

feel FREE to record yourself 1v1ing a plat3+ staff/staff thief and posting it for my education.

I am almost sure there even isn't anything such as Plat3 Staff Thief, but in case I am wrong do tell who is that miracle?

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Vicariuz.1605 said:We understood the issue with extreme evade and invuln frame chaining with chrono was a serious issue, and while staff thief is no bunker chrono, it is exactly the same idea.

actually

I am almost sure there even isn't anything such as Plat3 Staff Thief, but in case I am wrong do tell who is that miracle?

Do you pay attention to the leaderboards/streams/ats? There's several, most notably Anya. in fact, he's legend on 1 account right now.

@Vicariuz.1605 said:

actually

Do you pay attention to the leaderboards/streams/ats? There's several, most notably Anya.

Can you point me to some of those streams? I never met a single one in At and out of the names I know I don't see a single one in LB either, so a capture of the video where such thing is visible would be helpful.

@Alatar.7364 said:

actually

Do you pay attention to the leaderboards/streams/ats? There's several, most notably Anya.

Can you point me to some of those streams? I never met a single one in At and out of the names I know I don't see a single one in LB either, so a capture of the video where such thing is visible would be helpful.

https://www.twitch.tv/jonseeboy

@Vicariuz.1605 said:

actually

Thank you for the video.

Him being NA explains why I don't see any in LB or ATs.

Anyway, this would almost had me convinced, however from observing his fights it is quite clear that even though it is a gimming build it still could not be picked up just by anyone and be as effective as this person. This video proves his skill more than it does the builds usefulness, he spent most of his time in Team-fights instead of side-nodes.

So to sum up my thoughts after this video;1) Apparently S/S DrD build can be more useful than I thought, however unlike other known and useful builds likely can't be just picked up even despite its gimmick nature2) Core S/D in the hands of equally skilled player will still be more effective than this3) Other side-noders are still better side-noders, even he said at least Holo is, because I doubt that if a God of PvP managed to smack someone in Plat2 (the video shows him as P2 not P3, minor detail which means he is likely getting matched vs Gold players) that it would mean this build is good/meta.

Anyway I asked him personally about it, if I get an answer it would help clear the air more.

this build has always been useless and bad but it works in ranked because people will outnumber it so your main goal is go to far and 1v1 the entire game, but the true purpose of this build is simply stack people with you so your team can win fights.

This is why u will never see this build in any monthly or anything close to competitive games because it's easily avoided and it's boring af.

@Alatar.7364 said:Staff Thief dmg is mediocre at best except Vault, but then Vault is not only easily interruptable it is also easily avoidable because it is the only skill you need to dodge.True. Vault is just bad in 1 vs 1. The enemy doesn't even have to dodge, but just move with some speed buff and change directions every few seconds. :#

@enkidu.5937 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:Staff Thief dmg is mediocre at best except Vault, but then Vault is not only easily interruptable it is also easily avoidable because it is the only skill you need to dodge.True. Vault is just bad in 1 vs 1. The enemy doesn't even have to dodge, but just move with some speed buff and change directions every few seconds. :#

That's not true, only if the vault is misplaced. With swiftness I never been able to avoid a well placed vault with just changing direction, and view versa.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

That's not true, only if the vault is misplaced. With swiftness I never been able to avoid a well placed vault with just changing direction, and view versa.Vault: 180 units radius, ¾ secs cast time

Combat speed +33%: 279 units / sec → 209 units in ¾ secs

At the time when vault is activated, the enemy player has a moving radius of 209 units in any direction from his / her starting position. When vault lands, the enemy could be located e. g. 209 units south of his starting location or 209 units north. So, changing directions every few seconds should be enough to make some vaults just miss.

@enkidu.5937 said:

That's not true, only if the vault is misplaced. With swiftness I never been able to avoid a well placed vault with just changing direction, and view versa.Vault: 180 units radius, ¾ secs cast time

Combat speed +33%: 279 units / sec → 209 units in ¾ secs

At the time when vault is activated, the enemy player has a moving radius of 209 units in any direction from his / her starting position. When vault lands, the enemy could be located e. g. 209 units south of his starting location or 209 units north. So, changing directions every few seconds should be enough to make some vaults just miss.

That's more like, "some" but not all. I worded my original post wrong so sorry for that. Though depending who you are, is it worth risking doing that vs a 7/8k that does land.