WvW Build- The Holy Warlock. Guide + Gameplay tips =D **Updated with post 7/16 patch video**

RisenHowl.2419

@phokus.8934 said:This is an extremely fun build to play in groups. The only downside I have is the amount of retaliation damage I take from staff 3, scepter 2, and the spammable soj. I’m really only saved through LoW and having healers who pay attention.

Usually I try to time bombing runs of soj/symbol/soj with f2 and the heal's cd to handle the retal. It helps to dip into and out of your group for healing too

I did try the build a bit, but I went with quite a bit more defensive stats, more health, some toughness. Obviously this reduced the damage output a bit.

Overall the build can push out great bombs, the problem is, at least as it seems in EU T1, the enemy zergs know too well how to cleanse conditions and often enough are very good at focusing down the squishier classes. Situations which allow for the guardian to get close enough to unleash the closer range skills always seemed quite rare or the enemies were either not stacked enough or our own zerg couldn't hold well enough to make a difference. When we were crushing the enemy they just clouded and when the enemy was more powerful we'd be on full retreat or get annihilated quickly. It seems like the number of drawn out proper zerg fights has decreased a bit lately, with one side clearly overpowering the other mainly.

So, it does great when you can bomb the enemy zerg and they aren't cleansing condition fast enough, but I mainly went back to my Rev, the longer range and general higher survivability is just more fitting for our match ups I feel like. Raw damage output just outperforms having to hope for the enemy to not instantly cleanse before the condition ticks, as was expected.

As you already said, it's pretty similar to Ele. If you can get your full bomb off on a zerg, you can almost destroy them by yourself. The problem is, it rarely works out so well, mostly requires either a choke point or a zerg that closely sticks together without overrunning your people the moment they touch and which doesn't have as much condi removal. I see the short range compared to Ele as another downside, as your survivability isn't that much better. Overall the build is fun though and can work, it's just a bit situational and depends a lot on who you are fighting and very much on how well their zerg setup works against conditions.

@Syrus.2174 said:I did try the build a bit, but I went with quite a bit more defensive stats, more health, some toughness. Obviously this reduced the damage output a bit.

Overall the build can push out great bombs, the problem is, at least as it seems in EU T1, the enemy zergs know too well how to cleanse conditions and often enough are very good at focusing down the squishier classes. Situations which allow for the guardian to get close enough to unleash the closer range skills always seemed quite rare or the enemies were either not stacked enough or our own zerg couldn't hold well enough to make a difference. When we were crushing the enemy they just clouded and when the enemy was more powerful we'd be on full retreat or get annihilated quickly. It seems like the number of drawn out proper zerg fights has decreased a bit lately, with one side clearly overpowering the other mainly.

So, it does great when you can bomb the enemy zerg and they aren't cleansing condition fast enough, but I mainly went back to my Rev, the longer range and general higher survivability is just more fitting for our match ups I feel like. Raw damage output just outperforms having to hope for the enemy to not instantly cleanse before the condition ticks, as was expected.

As you already said, it's pretty similar to Ele. If you can get your full bomb off on a zerg, you can almost destroy them by yourself. The problem is, it rarely works out so well, mostly requires either a choke point or a zerg that closely sticks together without overrunning your people the moment they touch and which doesn't have as much condi removal. I see the short range compared to Ele as another downside, as your survivability isn't that much better. Overall the build is fun though and can work, it's just a bit situational and depends a lot on who you are fighting and very much on how well their zerg setup works against conditions.

Thank you for your input!

It sounds like you might not be using your defensive cds proactively instead of reactively, which is something that takes a little getting used to on guard. I generally wait on a mount until the groups engage, then hit the enemy as they pull back from the first bomb.

So targets for maximum effectiveness:

-when they regroup after a ranged bomb-when they stack to stealth or empower-on downed targets, especially if someone comes to res-when they push a choke

The way to play it is waiting for one of these to happen, then hit as hard as you can before you run out of defensive cds to chain together.

If your group is being one pushed, that's not something any one person can stop. You're either massively outnumbered or out skilled in that scenario. If it's outnumbered, just wait. They'll get bored and go for a structure eventually where you can destroy their siege and get some kills.

If your group is steamrolling, just 111 for tags. Damage isn't important here, but burn guard can tag like crazy =D

When bombing you always want to layer symbols with soj, try not to cast either singly. This offsets the cripple/vulnerable application to multiple times per second and makes it much harder to cleanse the burning. Another good way to do it is wait for your tag to go for a scourge bomb, all of scourge's skills are 900 range and provide tons of cover conditions for you to hide behind while the burns tick 10k+

Against a cloud, nothing's really effective. Wait for someone to go down and you can wipe 2-3 people at a time when they go for a res. You might also swap in a bow for the staff so you can CC and bomb to set up your res kills with scepter