Ele changes in the latest patch notes

steki.1478

@"steki.1478" said:Dps tempest was never a thing in pvp and wvw

It WAS for a time until:Air Overload nerf and cooldown nerfs because of alacrity, sustain nerfs that ended the glory days of Tempest in PvP https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2016-07-26#ElementalistNerfed exclusively for PvE and WvW to make sure it wasn't meta anywhere https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2017-02-22#ElementalistWildfire's hits per second got capped, both Fire and Air Overload got nerfed, Harmonious Conduit went from 5 to 4 seconds pre-PoF to sell weaver https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2017-08-08#Elementalist

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"SoulSlavocracy.4902" said:That is comforting, thanks for making it more clear - been working so haven't had much time yet to process these changes. I will have to try out staff weaver next week and see if its any different - from what you guys have said I'm expecting my damage to be close to what it was before.

They forgot to include the change to Power Overwhelming in the bulk-post and apologized for it in the middle of the thread, so these calculations are based off of what has been newly said few hours ago. The change is 150 Power out of Fire, double the bonus within - need at least 10 stacks of might to gain either bonus.

I'm very satisfied with the changes now that we know that power overwhelming is becoming a power trait. It was an essential change that was missing. Making the 20% cd reductions in elemental lines baseline is a pretty good design choice and it can help to better tune the master tier traits in the future. I still believe that staff could use a few buffs in air and earth in the next patch though. Its fire dependency for damage is not good and it's not like it's a top meta weapon in PvE at this point anyway.

@Ganathar.4956 said:I'm very satisfied with the changes now that we know that power overwhelming is becoming a power trait. It was an essential change that was missing. Making the 20% cd reductions in elemental lines baseline is a pretty good design choice and it can help to better tune the master tier traits in the future. I still believe that staff could use a few buffs in air and earth in the next patch though. Its fire dependency for damage is not good and it's not like it's a top meta weapon in PvE at this point anyway.

Tbh air is fine for the most part. I'd just remove stormsoul and BttH traits and add something supportive, CC related or mobility based, there's too many damage traits that compete with each other for no reason.

When it comes to staff, ice spike, eruption and meteor shower could use some cast time reductions and lava font a bit of damage increase (whether through more damage per tick or addition of burn stack per pulse). Projectiles that follow ground as well as some dual skills could use some traveling speed increases as well. I wouldnt complain if healing rain cleansed a bit faster and maybe had 10 man cap because it's a huge aoe. I have no problem of fire being the main sustained damage on staff because staff brings huge utility in form of aoe fields, aoe CC (both soft and hard) aoe cleanse and a decent burst from other attunements.

Earth..needs a lot of work. Both traits and skills. Not enough focus on conditions, not enough focus on active defense or even barriers, not enough focus on stun breaking/stability. My favorite part about earth are reflects and blinds and they are far from being earth's main goal.

@steki.1478 said:

@Ganathar.4956 said:I'm very satisfied with the changes now that we know that power overwhelming is becoming a power trait. It was an essential change that was missing. Making the 20% cd reductions in elemental lines baseline is a pretty good design choice and it can help to better tune the master tier traits in the future. I still believe that staff could use a few buffs in air and earth in the next patch though. Its fire dependency for damage is not good and it's not like it's a top meta weapon in PvE at this point anyway.

Tbh air is fine for the most part. I'd just remove stormsoul and BttH traits and add something supportive, CC related or mobility based, there's too many damage traits that compete with each other for no reason.

When it comes to staff, ice spike, eruption and meteor shower could use some cast time reductions and lava font a bit of damage increase (whether through more damage per tick or addition of burn stack per pulse). Projectiles that follow ground as well as some dual skills could use some traveling speed increases as well. I wouldnt complain if healing rain cleansed a bit faster and maybe had 10 man cap because it's a huge aoe. I have no problem of fire being the main sustained damage on staff because staff brings huge utility in form of aoe fields, aoe CC (both soft and hard) aoe cleanse and a decent burst from other attunements.

Earth..needs a lot of work. Both traits and skills. Not enough focus on conditions, not enough focus on active defense or even barriers, not enough focus on stun breaking/stability. My favorite part about earth are reflects and blinds and they are far from being earth's main goal.

I was more referring to the staff earth and air skills, not the earth and fire trait lines. But yes, the earth trait line does need some more work. Air trait line is fine, but another support option there for tempest would probably not hurt. Fire should remain the main sustained damage of staff, but other attunements should get a bit more damage so that your damage application does not hit rock bottom as soon as you switch attunements for something else. Just something more to help you out a little until you can switch back to fire, and to make other elemental trait lines a bit more appealing for staff.

If shatterstone and ice spike animation doesnt take that long to perform, it could definitely be a nice dps output for wvw. It's slow and easy to avoid, lightning strike is instant cast, target, 5s CD, vs shatterstone ground target, 1/2s cast time, ground targeting, 180 radius(wow much better), 3s CD. One skill fails when dodged, one fails when walk away from 180 radius.Imo elementalist is still MEDIOCRE and Anet is still nerfing it. Too many skills that has long animation times and it's hard to land, no skill/trait/utility skill source of quickness to compensate the long casting time.

For PvP:

• Tempest will still be insignificant. Some buffs, but the real issues aren't addressed.
  • Any FA still not viable.
  • S/D bunker got some minor buffs, but nothing significant. Didn't need it, so with some nerfs to rev it might be alright.
  • S/D fire same, some more burning, maybe switch to some precision amulet for Burning Precision? Will try that out.

But yeah, as someone already said, the nerfs to other builds are (S/D) eles biggest buffs. Warrior and holo are still much more versatile though. But anyway, a good update, I guess.

I feel pretty excited and I haven't felt this way since maybe the preview of the last e spec. Maybe I'm just glad they're addressing some of the core concerns and working on the core traitlines rather than some arbitrary numbers on random skills. Makes me want to play again.

I still want to see anet make all of the on swap trigger on overload of the atument type a kind of doable atument maybe even making the traits in that given atuments become stronger during the overload it self. Super soothing mist during water overload would be fun, Super MS during fire overload would bring back the old MS nado days, your earth overloads would be very tankly and air would have a lot of super speed on it i guess.

I realty like the ideal of the trait line giving you an effect in all atument but at the same time makes the given atument feel more define its only dmg that this is working for i would love to see it expatiated to def effect as well as support effects.

@MyPuppy.8970 said:I feel pretty excited and I haven't felt this way since maybe the preview of the last e spec. Maybe I'm just glad they're addressing some of the core concerns and working on the core traitlines rather than some arbitrary numbers on random skills. Makes me want to play again.

As I said on some other thread, this is arguably the best patch ele received since HoT.

Tbh.. its not truly fair to tempest players who like playing dmg to be looked at as a support class. Ele by design is based on doing dmg... even firebrand is more effective at doing dmg and can keep points all the same time. However, ill wait to see how things look after this patch. As a tempest player I dont see much of the changes as a help to stay alive or do damage.

(PVP)

It's nice to see patch that buffs stuff but I don't see anything that gives us entry to Atm meta. All our usable pvp builds are geting buffed in this one:

Overload Air: Static Charge buff is good idea but I doubt that it will be enough to stop other classes from just tanking it's damage or just cleaving us to death.Tempest Overload Skills: Nice little bennefit outside stunbreak...i wonder how much burn will stuck overload fire with reworked Burning Rage.Pyromancer's Training: Well... moving all cooldown traits is great!Burning Rage: I doubt Fire weavers will sacrafice condi cleanse for it but I will definitely want to try it with my core staff build. Burn is one of very few things that helps us damage things immediately (like rev starting paying attention to us).Flow like Water: I wonder about healing numbers of it - both sword weaver and focus tempest will have some benefit with it but is really needs to do something to compete with Cleansing Wave/Soothing Disruption.Piercing Shards: This little thing might be intresing for core FA builds...extra 10% is not that bad for spaminng Electric Discharge's.Air traits changes: I bet FA boys are quite happy with tons of ferocity...stupid idea...but running paladin amulet might have some sense now...Strength of Stone: We are quite good with spamming immobilize (ekhem Elemental Surge) might be possible to get some ridculus bleed stacks.Earthen Blessing: +Latent Stamina+vigor+energy sigil...will it be possible to spam dodges like crazy? To bad... it's earth trait...and all earth trait's right now are bad doing it's one job - keeping us alive.Power Overwhelming: Somehow I had fun watching whole forum on fire casue of raid dps boys...for me this trait needs to do only one job - melt zergs in wvw...will see after patch how it works with all ballance changes combined.

More important stuff is again happeing somewhere else. Rev/Ranger nerfs are very healthy news for us...but new thief portal gives me creeps. Scrapper might be now stupidly broken...I still belive we end up us ranked only class.

@Mr Godlike.6098 said:(PVP)

It's nice to see patch that buffs stuff but I don't see anything that gives us entry to Atm meta. All our usable pvp builds are geting buffed in this one:

Overload Air: Static Charge buff is good idea but I doubt that it will be enough to stop other classes from just tanking it's damage or just cleaving us to death.Tempest Overload Skills: Nice little bennefit outside stunbreak...i wonder how much burn will stuck overload fire with reworked Burning Rage.

Dps tempest is far from usable and support one barely benefits from damage increase.

Pyromancer's Training: Well... moving all cooldown traits is great!Burning Rage: I doubt Fire weavers will sacrafice condi cleanse for it but I will definitely want to try it with my core staff build. Burn is one of very few things that helps us damage things immediately (like rev starting paying attention to us).

Burning rage works only in melee range, not something you want to do with staff. Condi is also not something that you want to do with staff.

Flow like Water: I wonder about healing numbers of it - both sword weaver and focus tempest will have some benefit with it but is really needs to do something to compete with Cleansing Wave/Soothing Disruption.

Soothing disruption is already useless on weaver (or support tempest if you're using shouts) and cleansing wave can also be ignored because cleansing water already provides strong cleanse. Since it has 10 sec icd I'm assuming that it's gonna be a good heal, probably similar or better than healing ripple.

Piercing Shards: This little thing might be intresing for core FA builds...extra 10% is not that bad for spaminng Electric Discharge's.Air traits changes: I bet FA boys are quite happy with tons of ferocity...stupid idea...but running paladin amulet might have some sense now...

FA builds certainly look better this patch, but is sacrificing arcane for water a good decision? Will definitely need to be tested.

Strength of Stone: We are quite good with spamming immobilize (ekhem Elemental Surge) might be possible to get some ridculus bleed stacks.

Sadly, earth+arcane is a terrible combo because you have no offensive potential and bleed is a lot weaker than burns from fire. The only thing that might work from this is core ele with all 3 of those specs.

Earthen Blessing: +Latent Stamina+vigor+energy sigil...will it be possible to spam dodges like crazy? To bad... it's earth trait...and all earth trait's right now are bad doing it's one job - keeping us alive.

Earth spec seriously needs some kind of personal sustain like barrier or something, similar to defense on warrior.

Power Overwhelming: Somehow I had fun watching whole forum on fire casue of raid dps boys...for me this trait needs to do only one job - melt zergs in wvw...will see after patch how it works with all ballance changes combined.

It's definitely worse than the old 10% buff from pyromancer, but now the buff is global and air+weaver also got buffed so as a whole it's better than before, but I wouldnt call it significantly better.

More important stuff is again happeing somewhere else. Rev/Ranger nerfs are very healthy news for us...but new thief portal gives me creeps. Scrapper might be now stupidly broken...I still belive we end up us ranked only class.

Hammer rev in wvw didnt get touched so that's still an issue for eles, but everything else seems pretty fine.

@steki.1478 said:

@Mr Godlike.6098 said:Pyromancer's Training: Well... moving all cooldown traits is great!Burning Rage: I doubt Fire weavers will sacrafice condi cleanse for it but I will definitely want to try it with my core staff build. Burn is one of very few things that helps us damage things immediately (like rev starting paying attention to us).

Burning rage works only in melee range, not something you want to do with staff. Condi is also not something that you want to do with staff.

Well in perfect world nobody ever bothers about that one dude spaming meator showers over the node right? In most situations we will forced to deal with something in melee range and outside Lightning Rod we can only relay on various sources of burn for counter-burst.

Flow like Water: 10cd exist casue pew pew thief spammer could heal us to 100% with just Swirling Winds. If healing is under 500 with menders I doubt bunker weavers will care about this trait at all.

• 2 weeks later...

For PVE Fresh Air Tempest, would you say that replacing Fire traitline with Water makes the most sense? From Fire, I would at best get 150 Power if following old-old-old rotations, which is probably much less than 20% (multiplicative?) damage boost. Thoughts?

@Ojimaru.8970 said:For PVE Fresh Air Tempest, would you say that replacing Fire traitline with Water makes the most sense? From Fire, I would at best get 150 Power if following old-old-old rotations, which is probably much less than 20% (multiplicative?) damage boost. Thoughts?

Recent rotation is Air-Water because as a Tempest, you barely camp anything else but Air.

@zencow.3651 said:

It WAS for a time until:Air Overload nerf and cooldown nerfs because of alacrity, sustain nerfs that ended the glory days of Tempest in PvP
Nerfed exclusively for PvE and WvW to make sure it wasn't meta anywhere
Wildfire's hits per second got capped, both Fire and Air Overload got nerfed, Harmonious Conduit went from 5 to 4 seconds pre-PoF to sell weaver

Jupp they nerfed Tempest a few times shortly before the release of Pof especially the overloads people were a bit salty and didn't wanted to change to staff weaver then..

(to avoid 2 posts in a row)

In general the update now was.. I don't know see for your selfout of SC homepage :

Tempest with sceptre and horn : 35kFresh Air Weaver with sword : 37kCondi dagger: 39k ( I don't think that will stay there nerf incoming)I have tested just Staff Weaver (arcane-fire)

On big hitboxes around 32k on small 26k

Actually I'm surprised they didn't move much besides condi ele. The only wish I would have is the same overwork for the arcane trait line which they have make for the others and maybe allow the aurasharing for all to go to 10 people with the trait.

e.g moving the arcane shield in and giving a new trait point 75-125 fury when over 10 might

AH before I forget there is a bug with the condi ele sigil of earth toughness get ignored by the the earth trait which convert toughness into condi dmg.

In general sword weaver has also many downsides and the distance between build isn't that far which shrinking under real circumstances even more so viable is everything of them somewhere .

@Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

It WAS for a time until:Air Overload nerf and cooldown nerfs because of alacrity, sustain nerfs that ended the glory days of Tempest in PvP
Nerfed exclusively for PvE and WvW to make sure it wasn't meta anywhere
Wildfire's hits per second got capped, both Fire and Air Overload got nerfed, Harmonious Conduit went from 5 to 4 seconds pre-PoF to sell weaver

Jupp they nerfed Tempest a few times shortly before the release of Pof especially the overloads people were a bit salty and didn't wanted to change to staff weaver then..

(to avoid 2 posts in a row)

In general the update now was.. I don't know see for your selfout of SC homepage :

Tempest with sceptre and horn : 35kFresh Air Weaver with sword : 37kCondi dagger: 39k ( I don't think that will stay there nerf incoming)I have tested just Staff Weaver (arcane-fire)

On big hitboxes around 32k on small 26k

Actually I'm surprised they didn't move much besides condi ele. The only wish I would have is the same overwork for the arcane trait line which they have make for the others and maybe allow the aurasharing for all to go to 10 people with the trait.

e.g moving the arcane shield in and giving a new trait point 75-125 fury when over 10 might

AH before I forget there is a bug with the condi ele sigil of earth toughness get ignored by the the earth trait which convert toughness into condi dmg.

In general sword weaver has also many downsides and the distance between build isn't that far which shrinking under real circumstances even more so viable is everything of them somewhere .

You can get more dps on power staff with either air or water instead of arcane spec. Arcane isn't worth it for power builds anymore.

Mirage also does more damage than condi dagger on certain bosses so if something needs nerfs it's mirage, but I do agree that both do a bit too much. 35k would be a lot more reasonable.