Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

I have given up. Over the last 2 weeks I've been on the phone with my own ISP and even an ISP I do not currently use for close to 10 hours or more, and (side note) can't complain about the customer service from both. They've bumped me up to higher IT guys and and have been running diagnostics and traceroutes and all we can come up with is that from the time it goes outside the ISPs servers and heads to Anet there are some massive infrastructure issues. Not to mention the game design that causes this issue to happen, for some reason, ONLY at the end checkpoint of a mission that times out and drops the client connection. This is Anets problem. And seeing how its been years and they cant even seem to replicate it once or fix/change the design of the end of missions check that cause this... well, I'm throwing in my towel. That's it. I'll miss everyone. I really do enjoy the game. Anet, get your shit together. Sigh.

@ENCROACHER.1467 said:I have given up. Over the last 2 weeks I've been on the phone with my own ISP and even an ISP I do not currently use for close to 10 hours or more, and (side note) can't complain about the customer service from both. They've bumped me up to higher IT guys and and have been running diagnostics and traceroutes and all we can come up with is that from the time it goes outside the ISPs servers and heads to Anet there are some massive infrastructure issues. Not to mention the game design that causes this issue to happen, for some reason, ONLY at the end checkpoint of a mission that times out and drops the client connection. This is Anets problem. And seeing how its been years and they cant even seem to replicate it once or fix/change the design of the end of missions check that cause this... well, I'm throwing in my towel. That's it. I'll miss everyone. I really do enjoy the game. Anet, get your kitten together. Sigh.

You only have 2 isps before it connect to anet how close to the server are you?

Yup. Can confirm. I have uninstalled and don't see myself coming back any time soon unless Anet fixes whatever mechanic they have at the end of missions that reports to the client/server that causes this issue. Or a better check point system. I've been through all the fixes, support (if you can call it that), multiple ISPs, modems, and more. Sadly, it does appear that Anet doesn't care to fix this issue nor acknowledge it. Go give your money to another company. That's what I'll be doing.

Ive gone through all the steps with ANET support. Tried everything they advised, gw2diag, a pingtrace, as well as "possible fixes from this thread" Im pretty much at the point of quitting. I can't progress through the story, and its got me hooked, but nope, Disconnect after disconnect.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Did you try a VPN that takes a different path to the servers? It must be a different path or it encounters the same issue.

Subscribing to a VPN service to see if this fixes the issue, is hardly reasonable IMO. Despite network backbone issues that may be occurring, why is it only at the end of a mission during a cutscene queue? That part of this issue needs to change. ANets already got the money tho. So I don't expect anything to change. I can stay connected for up to 12 hours without issue. The moment I hit the end of a story ... BAM! And also have zero issues with any of the other 500 games in my library. So, again, to me, subscribing to a VPN just for this, is not in my cards. Happy if it works for others but ... nope. Maybe Guild Wars 2 should have subscriptions, then they may care about the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't get through the "The Departing" mission in POF, I tried completing it around 7 times. Speedrunning it also doesn't help, I get disconnected exactly at the same spot. Tried clearing the cache, didn't help. Tried restarting pc, didn't help.Is it worth it to restart the pc to factory settings? Is there a way to fix the connection problem?In case I use VPN, what area do I connect to in order to have a stable connection and not experience these disconnects ?

@"dontsmilebck.4251" said:Can't get through the "The Departing" mission in POF, I tried completing it around 7 times. Speedrunning it also doesn't help, I get disconnected exactly at the same spot. Tried clearing the cache, didn't help. Tried restarting pc, didn't help.Is it worth it to restart the pc to factory settings? Is there a way to fix the connection problem?

I wouldn't think your pc settings has much to do with it. I wouldn't do this.

Have you tried repairing the client?Playing in windowed mode?lowest graphics?

Are you dcing in combat or cinematic?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this company don't really want new players, i don't understand why they came up with this promos when you can't even complete the story cuz of the DC problem.

I'm stuck at The Battle of Claw, i tried already 6 times, always getting DC after the last cinematic (that you can't skip). I tried:

Lowest graphicsWindow Mode

I also had to do other quest like 3 or 4 times to advance in the game.

They don't answer the ticketsThey don't answer the forums

I can't even ask for a refund, one of the worst experience i had in a game in a loooooooong time.

@Lacryma.1453 said:I guess this company don't really want new players, i don't understand why they came up with this promos when you can't even complete the story cuz of the DC problem.

I'm stuck at The Battle of Claw, i tried already 6 times, always getting DC after the last cinematic (that you can't skip). I tried:

Lowest graphicsWindow Mode

I also had to do other quest like 3 or 4 times to advance in the game.

They don't answer the ticketsThey don't answer the forums

I can't even ask for a refund, one of the worst experience i had in a game in a loooooooong time.

They always answer tickets; you can update your ticket (if you've not had a response after 3 days or so) by replying to the automated email sent to your email address.

Had this happen as well. What they really need is a metric ton of checkpoints. Literally save progress after every bulletin point you see during the quest is completed. Also should have saves Immediately after boss fights. Especially if there is a cutscene. Then if you disconnect at any point in the story, you are right back to the last full item you completed. Don't really care if it's more work. This has become a quality of life issue for players who just want to do the story quest ONE TIME per character. Really though, it shouldn't be hard to fix since we already have these checkpoint save. There just aren't enough of them and/or they are not often enough.

When it is before a cutscene, I know there is an issue with that. I think it can't read or play the file smoothly and that causes issues.

This issue is still going on - every story/LW seems to have issues with disconnects..and ALWAYS right at the end resting things. I have a 200 mb connection, wired. Tried all the port forwarding suggestions, resting the router, pretty much everything except for a VPN (and thats not going to happen so dont even suggest it). It wouldnt be so bad if it didnt put you right back at the flipping start of the quest line when it happens, which after something like 1/2 hour for the longer ones is really, really starting to make me regret playing and streaming the game. And yes i get the disconnection when I dont stream as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So, i've had the same issue getting disconnected in story instances, keep trying and eventually sometimes manage to get through it, however i've been stuck on Hearts and Minds for a while now (only attempted it around 5 times) always disconnected after beating mordremoth in the dreamscape. I went through everything with Anet tech support, (stopped services and startups, flushed dns, changed in game settings etc, eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".

Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnects (well, not tonight anyway) finished hearts and minds, even got cocky and halfway through went to make something to eat! i'm not sure which routers have this setting other than my own, but, if you are on Virgin Media with a hub 3.0, login to your router, advanced settings, security, firewall, uncheck ip flood detection and apply changes. i went from numerous dropped packets on every hop to basically no dropped packets other then to unreachable hosts.

I hope it works for some of you.