Gem Cards and Australia

Recently all EB Games stores stopped stocking gem cards and today I've confirmed with them that they are discontinued in all of Australia. As an Australian player (and one that has been playing since launch) I'm really disappointed to learn that I can no longer purchase gems locally.

You might say "Just buy them from the online store", but the exchange rate from US to AUS dollars is ridiculously high and has been for a very long time. With physical gem cards, we would purchase 2000 gems for $25AU. Now our only option is to purchase 1600 gems for $36AU or 2800 gems for well over $50AU with the exchange rate constantly fluctuating. Gem cards have been, and still are, the best value for us in Oceania.

I don't know whether ArenaNET discontinued them worldwide or just for Australia - but I urge you to help find us a similar solution or we're not going to have a choice but to stop purchasing gems altogether :anguished:

• Like 1

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I don't think ArenaNet controls who wants to stock their merchandise.

I don't think any of you seem to understand what I'm getting at - none of the retailers who stock these in Australia have them in stock, even a certain key site that a lot of my friends often relied on. I'm wondering if they're phasing them out entirely and if so then it incredibly inconvenient because the exchange rate is particularly brutal for us in Australia, and I reckon a lot will find it harder to shell $50 for 2800 gems or less.

Maybe another option is to localise the online purchasing system to offer a more competitive rate for Oceanic players? There's a whole heap of us.

It's a problem for me too. I used to buy a lot more in the cash shop, but it irks me to pay 30% or 40% more than someone in the US for the same stuff. I used to buy gem cards regularly but I've cut my spending down on the game severely. If I start spending again, I'm going to have to get 30-40% less from the cash shop each time I buy gems. I mean I've spent plenty over the years and I'd love to spend more but not like this. I'd love to see someone in Australia sell the gem cards again.

I'd really love for this to get attention from arentnet. As you said this is a 40% increase at cost for us and although anet doesn't control the exchange rate they could see a huge decrease in people from our region buying gems. I buy gems for two reasons - supper anet and as an added way to enjoy the game as I love the customisation and perks the BLTC offers. However my partner and I - who previously spent on average $50 a week on gems with gem cards, can't justify $80-$100 a week on gems (or even one a month).

If you think it's bad here, the relative cost for players in eastern Europe is far higher. Turkey in particular had lower median income to begin with, and over the last few years they've had to deal with a plummeting exchange rate on top of that - when you're doing business with international currencies, there's always going to be someone getting the short end of the stick, and tweaking regional prices becomes a bit of a rabbit hole of who you do and don't offer special prices for (not to mention a fraud risk).

@Ben K.6238 said:If you think it's bad here, the relative cost for players in eastern Europe is far higher. Turkey in particular had lower median income to begin with, and over the last few years they've had to deal with a plummeting exchange rate on top of that - when you're doing business with international currencies, there's always going to be someone getting the short end of the stick, and tweaking regional prices becomes a bit of a rabbit hole of who you do and don't offer special prices for (not to mention a fraud risk).

Selling game cards isn't really tweaking prices though. It's a service offered to places they can make deals with. EBGames is a big game reseller here who agreed to sell the cards. Selling stuff like this through resellers isn't bad.

I’m sorry to hear that. I really enjoy having something o can physically purchase, to the point I’ll hold off on getting gems for days until I have time to go to a store that has them. I’ve noticed recently that GameStop (in America) seems to be losing them? 3/4 of the ones I’ve been to in the last month had none whatsoever. Really hoping that anet continues distributing these cards all over

@Cynder.2509 said:Not only Australia but here in Germany as well. Was pretty upset about it since I don't do online banking, don't have a credit card or use stuff like paypal. About Paysafecard I don't know anything but I considered this an option.

Lol where do you live? Sorry, but you make your life complicated. What if you travel without a credit card? It's nigh impossible these days...

• Confused 1

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Lol where do you live? Sorry, but you make your life complicated. What if you travel without a credit card? It's nigh impossible these days...

Where do you live? I can only speak of the EU, but my debit cards have worked everywhere in the world, and on every single website. Why pay taxes to a credit company?

As for the topic:This has been my situation for years now. Luckily I don't have the same issues with the conversion rate (it's acceptable). It annoys me that the official stance is still that those cards exist - they even list websites for stores that are either non-existent anymore, or they simply don't sell those cards.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@"Cynder.2509" said:Not only Australia but here in Germany as well. Was pretty upset about it since I don't do online banking, don't have a credit card or use stuff like paypal. About Paysafecard I don't know anything but I considered this an option.

Ever heard that you spend more money than you actually have with a credit card? The control you have over your own economy is much more getting out of hand if you're not paying with something you can actually touch. That being said aside from the fact that this method proved to be a lot more unsafe than everything else.I prefer to have control over my income and what I spend instead of throwing amounts of money into the fire . Despite the fact that I never traveled or will never travel because I'm too broke for that anyways. And since Euro is shared throughout the European continent in various countries I don't need to exchange my currency all the time thanks to the "state" known as the European Union.

@Cynder.2509 said:

@Cynder.2509 said:Not only Australia but here in Germany as well. Was pretty upset about it since I don't do online banking, don't have a credit card or use stuff like paypal. About Paysafecard I don't know anything but I considered this an option.

Ever heard that you spend more money than you actually have with a credit card? The control you have over your own economy is much more getting out of hand if you're not paying with something you can actually touch. That being said aside from the fact that this method proved to be a lot more unsafe than everything else.I prefer to have control over my income and what I spend instead of throwing amounts of money into the fire . Despite the fact that I never traveled or will never travel because I'm too broke for that anyways. And since Euro is shared throughout the European continent in various countries I don't need to exchange my currency all the time thanks to the "state" known as the European Union.

Probably there are people who can't control their expenditures. CC is for me just a convenience as I have enough liquid money on my bank account. I would never live above my standards, though luckily I have a rather high living standard.

But of course I understand your situation and it sounds reasonable. Debit card could be a solution though.

@zoejo.2317 said:

Where do
you
live? I can only speak of the EU, but my debit cards have worked everywhere in the world, and on every single website. Why pay taxes to a credit company?

As for the topic:This has been my situation for years now. Luckily I don't have the same issues with the conversion rate (it's acceptable). It annoys me that the official stance is still that those cards exist - they even list websites for stores that are either non-existent anymore, or they simply don't sell those cards.

Also Europe :wink: I don't pay anything for my CC(s). Also, ever heard of Revolut? It's a great way to get a CC for almost free.