Do you pick guilds? Or does the guild pick you?

Hi everyone!

New to GW2. Used to play GW1 back in the day. Would love to join a guild, maybe even with a few female players (I am female as well).

Is it socially acceptable to ask to join someone’s guild? Or do I wait until people send me an invitation? How do I get involved with people who are recruiting?

Yes it is fine to ask to join a guild if you run across a guild while playing part of the game you are interested in. That is how I found the main guild I am a member of. After doing a meta event that the guild was running I enjoyed it and how well they did the event. So I asked if they were recruiting. They said yes and sent me an invite. Now I am a commander in the guild and frequently command meta events as part of the guild. They took the time to help me to learn how to command the events and I'm very happy I ran across them. They are my in game family at this point.

So my advice is if there is a guild participating in a game mode you enjoy and they seem friendly and helpful that is the best way to find a guild to be a part of. So do ask for that invite. I pay no attention to the guilds posting in map chat looking to recruit. That's just a personal preference as my experience is often those guilds are just looking for numbers and don't really care about forming a community. Of course that isn't always the case as every guild has to start some place.

If you want to look for guilds out of game there is a sub forum for that:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/categories/looking-for-guild

It can go either way. Probably the most common approach is for someone in the guild to post an advert in chat (or on this forum), then people who are interested whisper them and ask to join. But probably the second most common is people from a guild are doing something together, meet a random extra person, get along with them and either they ask the extra person to join the guild or that person asks to join.

Regardless of who asks IMO the important thing is that it should be a mutual agreement - both the player and the guild need to feel that they're a good fit and will get along, and that they're going to get something out of it. For that reason I'll always decline random guild invites I'm sent with no introduction and would never send a random invite to someone I don't know.

So if you're looking for a guild my advice is to think about what kind of guild you want to join (I don't think you'll have trouble finding one with female members, there's a lot of us about) and then go looking for a guild which can offer that. Look out for adverts in-game and on this forum, but you could also ask in-game for a guild to join.

@GoldenPants.1870 said:

(I don't think you'll have trouble finding one with female members, there's a lot of us about)Don't think I have heard of someone wanting to join a guild just because it has female members in it, might just be me tho. ?Or maybe you did not mean it like that and my english skills are bad so I misinterpreted it.

I just meant that there are a lot of female players, so there will be a lot of guilds with female members.

I have occasionally seen women looking for a guild which already has female members. Some women are worried about how they'll be treated in MMOs (sometimes with good reason) so I guess they think a guild with other women in it will be nicer than one which is all men. I don't tend to worry about it, but then I don't think I've ever been in a guild without female players.

@Danikat.8537 said:

(I don't think you'll have trouble finding one with female members, there's a lot of us about)Don't think I have heard of someone wanting to join a guild just because it has female members in it, might just be me tho. ?Or maybe you did not mean it like that and my english skills are bad so I misinterpreted it.

I just meant that there are a lot of female players, so there will be a lot of guilds with female members.

I have occasionally seen women looking for a guild which already has female members. Some women are worried about how they'll be treated in MMOs (sometimes with good reason) so I guess they think a guild with other women in it will be nicer than one which is all men. I don't tend to worry about it, but then I don't think I've ever been in a guild without female players.

Ah that's how you meant, yea that makes sense now. :)

But I totally get their concern, some guys on the internet well.. Are less than kind to girls.