2019.07 Balance Wishlist (Rev 08/06)

TheBravery.9615

I could see a generic burn proc major trait in some form.

Of course, I really think arms traits need more work. The signet trait needs to do something to help condi. I liked it much more when it was precision bonus because it could benefit your condi or power builds. Unsuspecting for and Sundering burst just don't have a good synergy in arms. Unsuspecting for needs to trade places with body blow in strength so it can support Hammer, and it needs to be buffed. Suffering burst needs something... I never pick it because vulnerability is usually maxed on my targets anyway... Maybe it is useful in 1v1 pvp/wvw?

@Lan Deathrider.5910Appreciate the commentary. I see your perspective on wildblow, frenzy, and headbutt; removed the damage/launch increase and bleeding. removed the cd reduction from frenzy (alacrity should be enough):anguished: Really wanted to see wild blow in PvP/WvW as the falcon punch

@Opopanax.1803Agreed with your approach, I think each trait choice within each traitline should be distinct from eachother and shouldn't compete for the same form of benefit. It's best not to have 2 condi traits compete with eachother, because one would always be chosen over the other. Baseline burning (or even bleeding or torment) on longbow should help.

Edited rupturing smashfromIncrease damage by 25%, change AOE to full circle. Return the cascading attack effect. Reduce daze duration to half second, i~~mmobilize down to 1 second. ~~toChange AOE to full circle. Return the cascading attack effect. Reduce daze duration to half second, Remove immobilize.

@"Opopanax.1803" said:I could see a generic burn proc major trait in some form.

Of course, I really think arms traits need more work. The signet trait needs to do something to help condi. I liked it much more when it was precision bonus because it could benefit your condi or power builds. Unsuspecting for and Sundering burst just don't have a good synergy in arms. Unsuspecting for needs to trade places with body blow in strength so it can support Hammer, and it needs to be buffed. Suffering burst needs something... I never pick it because vulnerability is usually maxed on my targets anyway... Maybe it is useful in 1v1 pvp/wvw?

Well Arms never really got a rework after they removed stats from the trait lines. Remember Arms was crit chance and condi damage focused and Unsuspecting Foe and Sundering Burst are based on crit chance.

I think if Unsuspecting Foe included flanking in its descriptor and was reduced to 25% then it would be fine in slot. Sundering Burst is fine in WvW at least, but it is kind of lackluster still. They should update it to apply vulnerability based on the number of adrenaline bars spent and make you so X% more damage per stack of vulnerability ( I really want that somewhere on the warrior kit)

I like the current function of Signet Mastery myself, but as it is now it is better suited for the Strength tree with its might generation themes. You have to remember though that when you hit things below 50% you are getting 10 stacks of might from Lesser SoM which helps BOTH condi and power.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lesser_Signet_of_Might

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Well Arms never really got a rework after they removed stats from the trait lines. Remember Arms was crit chance and condi damage focused and Unsuspecting Foe and Sundering Burst are based on crit chance.

I think if Unsuspecting Foe included flanking in its descriptor and was reduced to 25% then it would be fine in slot. Sundering Burst is fine in WvW at least, but it is kind of lackluster still. They should update it to apply vulnerability based on the number of adrenaline bars spent and make you so X% more damage per stack of vulnerability ( I really want that somewhere on the warrior kit)

I like the current function of Signet Mastery myself, but as it is now it is better suited for the Strength tree with its might generation themes. You have to remember though that when you hit things below 50% you are getting 10 stacks of might from Lesser SoM which helps BOTH condi and power.

hm they could prob also update the tooltip so it clarifies it grants might as well

i'll add that

@TheBravery.9615 said:

hm they could prob also update the tooltip so it clarifies it grants might as well

i'll add that

Well the do state Lesser Signet of Might, and warriors should already know what that does . The funny thing is LSoM and SoM do exactly the same thing, there is no Lesser bit to LSoM.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Well the do state Lesser Signet of Might, and warriors should already know what that does . The funny thing is LSoM and SoM do exactly the same thing, there is no Lesser bit to LSoM.

While strictly speaking I tend to agree with what you just said when other skills type than signet are used into proc traits, You have to take into account that a signet also have a passive effect so it's not that much of a stretch to say that it proc a lesser effect of the signet when only the active is displayed.

My issue with Signets Trait is not that it is not good, or that it isn't useful for power builds. The problem is that the Arms line as a whole has a hard time being good enough for a power build to ever be picked.

2 of 3 minors only help Condi.

Grandmaster for 100% crit burst trait invalidates the crit you have in a power build, many times pushing the cap.

The dual weild trait is almost worse in that it is pointless to have, because it does the same thing as quickness and doe not stack. This makes it not worth taking for group play.

Which means that most power builds will have strength, discipline, and then either SB or berzerker for the dame that they being. If you stay with core instead of elites, defense is better for pvp.

It's hard to work signet mastery into a power build for arms when more than half the tree just doesn't work efficiently for power builds.

I'd like to see them have some power options for arms traits.

Keep Signet mastery as is, but improve Burst 100% crit trait to allow 100% crit for 3 seconds after a burst. Make the dual weild trait stack with quickness.

Those would massively help.

@Opopanax.1803 said:My issue with Signets Trait is not that it is not good, or that it isn't useful for power builds. The problem is that the Arms line as a whole has a hard time being good enough for a power build to ever be picked.

Grandmaster for 100% crit burst trait invalidates the crit you have in a power build, many times pushing the cap.

The dual weild trait is almost worse in that it is pointless to have, because it does the same thing as quickness and doe not stack. This makes it not worth taking for group play.

Which means that most power builds will have strength, discipline, and then either SB or berzerker for the dame that they being. If you stay with core instead of elites, defense is better for pvp.

It's hard to work signet mastery into a power build for arms when more than half the tree just doesn't work efficiently for power builds.

Keep Signet mastery as is, but improve Burst 100% crit trait to allow 100% crit for 3 seconds after a burst. Make the dual weild trait stack with quickness.

Well, a few points to consider for Arms and power builds.

1) If you are camping GS (say in WvW cause Arc divider is lolz there), then Arms is a DPS increase over Discipline. It is harder to cap Crit Chance on a WvW build, so Burst Precision guarantees 100% crit on Arc Divider. Sundering Bursts likewise is guaranteed to give 10 vuln per burst, so if you BMode in their face and then Arc Divider the foe ends up with 20 stacks of vuln when the second and third hit of Arc Divider connect.

2) Signet Mastery itself does offer Power Builds a great deal. Just having Signet Mastery slotted will average you 3 stacks of Signet of Ferocity (300 ferocity net gain) during a long fight. If you opt to use Signet of Fury instead of Healing Surge or Headbutt you then start your burst with 460 extra ferocity. If you were already crit capped, that is a 30% increase in damage on the opening burst. Once the foe is at 50% health you get unblockable attacks and extra might every 20s.

Granted Burst Precision would be better if it granted a crit chance increase post burst would be amazing, but we had that at one time and Anet nerfed it. Heighted Focus used the be the crit chance equivalent of Berserker's Power.

I agree that Dual Wielding is bad now. It was better at launch when quickness was more difficult to get, but now... I propose that Dual Wielding should grant quickness on a critical hit while dual wielding (4s duration, 10 CD). Heightened Focus in Discipline should be made into something else...

@Opopanax.1803 said:My issue with Signets Trait is not that it is not good, or that it isn't useful for power builds. The problem is that the Arms line as a whole has a hard time being good enough for a power build to ever be picked.

Well, a few points to consider for Arms and power builds.

1) If you are camping GS (say in WvW cause Arc divider is lolz there), then Arms is a DPS increase over Discipline. It is harder to cap Crit Chance on a WvW build, so Burst Precision guarantees 100% crit on Arc Divider. Sundering Bursts likewise is guaranteed to give 10 vuln per burst, so if you BMode in their face and then Arc Divider the foe ends up with 20 stacks of vuln when the second and third hit of Arc Divider connect.

2) Signet Mastery itself does offer Power Builds a great deal. Just having Signet Mastery slotted will average you 3 stacks of Signet of Ferocity (300 ferocity net gain) during a long fight. If you opt to use Signet of Fury instead of Healing Surge or Headbutt you then start your burst with 460 extra ferocity. If you were already crit capped, that is a 30% increase in damage on the opening burst. Once the foe is at 50% health you get unblockable attacks and extra might every 20s.

Granted Burst Precision would be better if it granted a crit chance increase post burst would be amazing, but we had that at one time and Anet nerfed it. Heighted Focus used the be the crit chance equivalent of Berserker's Power.

I agree that Dual Wielding is bad now. It was better at launch when quickness was more difficult to get, but now... I propose that Dual Wielding should grant quickness on a critical hit while dual wielding (4s duration, 10 CD). Heightened Focus in Discipline should be made into something else...

Agreed, arms is pretty good for power builds. I run 2 - 2 - 1 and the vulnerability/ferocity/100% crit chance on burst attacks make it hit pretty hard.

That said, is the proposed change to dual wielding enough?

Thinking of removing the alacrity as someone said doesn't fit, and changing it to: gain barrier when you gain adrenaline.

Oh, arms isn't poor for power, it is just out-competed by Discipline.

Disc gives runspeed bonus, and 3% dmg bonus with swiftness, 100% banner bonus to yourself, more frequent finishers, faster swap, might on swap, and either amazing ferocity with axes with awesome adrenaline gain, or more damage multiplier (7%) to finishers and better adrenaline savings.

As much as I like arms, it just can't compete when it comes to power builds.

@Opopanax.1803 said:Oh, arms isn't poor for power, it is just out-competed by Discipline.

Disc gives runspeed bonus, and 3% dmg bonus with swiftness, 100% banner bonus to yourself, more frequent finishers, faster swap, might on swap, and either amazing ferocity with axes with awesome adrenaline gain, or more damage multiplier (7%) to finishers and better adrenaline savings.

Depends on other things. If you NEED your Burst to crit, then Arms is better. If you don't run axes then Arms may be better than Disc. But over all Arms needs buffing.

I do not think Anet wants Alacrity on warriors. They made it exclusive to very few classes. I think granting quickness easily may be more feasible.

@Opopanax.1803 said:Oh, arms isn't poor for power, it is just out-competed by Discipline.

Depends on other things. If you NEED your Burst to crit, then Arms is better. If you don't run axes then Arms may be better than Disc. But over all Arms needs buffing.

I do not think Anet wants Alacrity on warriors. They made it exclusive to very few classes. I think granting quickness easily may be more feasible.

Agree on alacrity. I also don't think barrier fits warrior. I do want protection in the defense line somewhere.

On arms vs disc, even if you don't use axes and need bursts to crit, disc is still better.

A 10% damage multiplier in discipline is hard to top. On top of that, you get an extra 100 precision and 100 ferocity for a single banner. Bursting faster and swapping faster cant be underestimed, either.

It would be one thing if you couldn't get crit capped, or get vulnerability on enemies other ways, but as it is, the arms traits are just lack luster because you get those effects frequently from other allies or stats or food/sigils. If those traits in arms stacked or were separate effects, I could see it.

The only way I could see ever considering arms now over disciple from a damage perspective would be from a dueling point of view. And in that case, the utility of Defense trait line would have to be carefully weighed.

Dunno, I used to run strength, arms, tactics/disc before they messed with arms. It worked then, but now it just isn't that great to use in power builds, imho.

Not sure if people remember the time before the PoF pre patch (8th august 2017).They made made imo some bad changes to arms in this patch, i.e. the removing of the damage boost from Bloodlust or the removal of old Rending strikes as minor trait.Both made old Arms a better choice for Power builds while keeping it as a option for Condi builds.

When I look at the 1-trick-pony Memezerker it feels really weird. This build is a bit broken with Arms because of the Major traits with not a single benefit from Minor traits. On the other side, Arms is totally useless for all other builds in PvP...

Not sure what change is more needed: Arms or Tactics. But both feel really bad.And Discipline for sure needs some adjustments. (And nerfs to Spellbreaker)

@Rettan.9603 said:Not sure if people remember the time before the PoF pre patch (8th august 2017).They made made imo some bad changes to arms in this patch, i.e. the removing of the damage boost from Bloodlust or the removal of old Rending strikes as minor trait.Both made old Arms a better choice for Power builds while keeping it as a option for Condi builds.

When I look at the 1-trick-pony Memezerker it feels really weird. This build is a bit broken with Arms because of the Major traits with not a single benefit from Minor traits. On the other side, Arms is totally useless for all other builds in PvP...

Not sure what change is more needed: Arms or Tactics. But both feel really bad.And Discipline for sure needs some adjustments. (And nerfs to Spellbreaker)

I agree. I miss the old minors. I would say that both Tactics and Arms need reworking equally. Tactics is supposed to be our support tree, but the support we offer than anyone ever wants is in Discipline. The only other real support that people want is a lazy +100 power from Empower Allies in Tactics. Warhorn and its trait need a major overhaul. Vigorous Shouts needs a higher base healing on it. Phalanx Strength needs the might duration increased back to what it was.

In Arms, we need more effects on a critical that benefit power builds. Dual Wielding needs either a DPS modifier, or quickness on crit. Burst Precision needs to grant +% crit after a burst. Unsuspecting Foe needs a Crit chance boost while flanking. Signet Mastery... well I would love the original trait back but that won't happen, but I feel that the ferocity boost could be higher.

Making a few more adjustments..

Body Blow: Removed the suggestion to have bursts grant might and inflict weakness. Replaced it with "critical hits grant bonus adrenaline".

• Wanted to move the might gain out of the greatsword trait into body blow to synergize with might makes right builds without requiring greatsword and to tune down the greatsword trait to be more in line with similar weapon traits that just offer a stat increase. However, allowing bursts to inflict weakness and grant might as well might be overtuning this. I looked at traits that "grant might on critical hits"' and two came up; furious and axe mastery. Since I'm removing that from those two traits, I thought it'd be fitting to drop it in here.

Merciless Hammer: Removed the suggestion to grant 10 adrenaline on disables or 30 on interrupts. Replaced it with 5 stacks of Vulnerability on disables and 10 additional stacks on interrupts (no icd)

• Thinking this through, if it were to instantly grant 30 strikes of adrenaline that easily there would be no need for other traits to grant adrenaline. Original suggestion was overtuned. Replacing it with vulnerability would tune it down while also synergizing with builds featuring concussive blows (discussed below in Dual Wielding)

Bloodlust: Removing my suggestion from the list of changing it from chance on crit to 100% chance on bursts.

• Didn't feel like making this change would make any meaningful impact towards the balance of Arms. It's a minor inconvenience and nothing more, would be a waste of developer time to change this.

Furious: Added an 8s ICD to original suggestion

• Forgot about decapitate and its zero cooldown, would cause for a spammy condi cancer attack..

Dual Wielding -> Concussive Blows: Redoing my entire suggestion, scrapping original idea of having critical strikes grant bonus adrenaline + more when dual wielding and the alacrity gain on filling adrenaline. Replacing it with with Concussive Blows- Critical strikes against foe a foe with 25 stacks of vulnerability will inflict a concussion. [Concussion: 1/4 second daze. If target was interrupted, stuns for 1/2 second instead. inflicts 4s weakness and 2 stacks of 6s confusion, and deals some damage. Loses all stacks of vulnerability, 8 second icd]

• Original suggestion was an attempt to salvage anything dual wielding could do but couldn't think of a reasonable benefit without competing with existing traits for more power creep while simultaneously offering a distinctive utility. Had to scrap it. I did make note that Arms offered builds for crit chance, condition damage, but not much of a 3rd option; so an idea was to make use of the existing traits. Exploiting vulnerability off foes came to mind.

Warrior's Sprint: Adding a suggestion to the list. Removing the damage increase that comes with swiftness. Replacing it with: Removing immobilize grants 3s of swiftness.

• This is an effort to slightly down tune the amount of damage and overall utility this trait offers to give the other traits and traitlines a more competitive offering. The immobilize removal is universally beneficial so the damage increase was unnecessary. (compared to crack shot and vengeful return).

I don't think I've ever seen banner of tactics or banner of defense ever being used in any game mode. To give each banner equal weight, I think we should scrap tactics and defense and make the banners single stat, and raise them by 70 points.

Banner of Strength = 170 powerBanner of discipline = 170 ferocityBanner of Tactics = 170 expertiseBanner of ~~defense ~~corruption = 170 condition damage

@TheBravery.9615 said:I don't think I've ever seen banner of tactics or banner of defense ever being used in any game mode. To give each banner equal weight, I think we should scrap tactics and defense and make the banners single stat, and raise them by 70 points.

Banner of Strength = 170 powerBanner of discipline = 170 ferocityBanner of Tactics = 170 expertiseBanner of ~~defense ~~corruption = 170 condition damage

Oh plz not. You're right that they are never used and need a change, but I think this should go more in direction of functionality.For example: activation of a banner triggers a regular useful skill (maybe the old active skills on the 2).That way, they could make Banner of Defense a stun break or Banner of Tactics gives some additional heal what would made both a more interesting choice.

@Rettan.9603 said:

@TheBravery.9615 said:I don't think I've ever seen banner of tactics or banner of defense ever being used in any game mode. To give each banner equal weight, I think we should scrap tactics and defense and make the banners single stat, and raise them by 70 points.

Oh plz not. You're right that they are never used and need a change, but I think this should go more in direction of functionality.For example: activation of a banner triggers a regular useful skill (maybe the old active skills on the 2).That way, they could make Banner of Defense a stun break or Banner of Tactics gives some additional heal what would made both a more interesting choice.

Here's the problem with banners.

1. The way they're designed makes them ill suited for anything outside of PvE. A flat stat increase is simply not enough utility for the warrior in a competitive setting where there's more elements to combat.
  2. PvE is a dpsfest with little to no consideration to sustain. PvE mobs have terrible AI, and most only rely on fixed damage that disregard toughness. Mobs also don't apply enough condition damage or strip boons off you. The way this game mode is designed also makes the banner of tactics and defense useless. In cases where sustain is needed, there are other options provided by other professions that do a much better job.
  3. The warrior forum has surely went through plenty of creative rework ideas, but none of these ideas ever make it because they're either disproportionate to each other or would just lead to power creep which is especially not needed due to how banners are pve meta.

The only solution I could think of would be to significantly buff PvE mob damage or AI significantly into a point where the extra toughness/vitality or healing/boon duration would be necessary in a given scenario.

another option I could think of (to make them PvP/WvW viable) is to increase the effective range to 1200 and significantly reduce the cooldown. This perhaps could be split from PvE but I have little hope of this happening.

edit/ Updated Sun and Moon Style: Changed changed functionality so you heal based on 3% of outgoing damage regardless of weapon wielded, with effect doubled when wielding daggers to bring it more in line with the other weapon traits.

nice attempt but warrior will forever be a disappointing pvp class, there's tons of ways to tweak warrior and not simply buffing/nerfing damage or healing number, just look at other classes.they could have done something since 2012, but they kept the same philosophy for warrior and they will never change.it took them 5 years to finally add evade on bull charge, evade on rifle which is still useless and movement speed on offhand axe (it needs a projectile reflect)

Don't like how the 3 grandmaster discipline traits all benefit power builds without any differentiation. Changing the following

Axe Mastery: Have an issue with how the 3 major grandmaster traits in discipline all compete for power damage. Axes have decent combo-chains, so adrenaline is hardly an issue.Remove the additional adrenaline gain when critical striking. Instead, deal pbaoe damage when swapping to axes (Cyclone axe)
Heightened Focus: Have an issue with how the 3 major grandmaster traits in discipline all compete for power damage. Heightened focus is the only option that gives condi builds some place, yet it's slightly weaker than burst mastery.Also restore a portion of Adrenaline spent in addition to current effects.
Burst Mastery: Have an issue with how the 3 major grandmaster traits in discipline all compete for power damage. Heightened focus is the only option that gives condi builds some place, yet it's slightly weaker than burst mastery.Increase damage modifier from 7% to 15%. Move the 'restore a portion of adrenaline spent' part to Heightened Focus.

to

Axe Mastery: Have an issue with how the 3 major grandmaster traits in discipline all compete for power damage. Axes have decent combo-chains, so adrenaline is hardly an issue.Rework this. Burst attacks deal 10% more damage regardless of weapon wielded. Gain 200 ferocity while wielding axes, reduce axe skill cooldown.
Heightened Focus: Have an issue with how the 3 major grandmaster traits in discipline all compete for power damage. Heightened focus is the only option that gives condi builds some place, yet it's slightly weaker than burst mastery.Also restore a portion of Adrenaline spent in addition to current effects.
Burst Mastery: Have an issue with how the 3 major grandmaster traits in discipline all compete for power damage. Heightened focus is the only option that gives condi builds some place, yet it's slightly weaker than burst mastery.Scrap this trait. Move the adrenaline recovery to heightened focus, move the burst damage increase to axe mastery. Create a new trait in it's place that grants barrier and endurance whenever you activate a combo finisher. (Effect will double with powerful synergy)

edit/removed the unblockable suggestion off merciless hammer, might be too op.Removed the suggestion to leg specialist to inflict immobilize on criples, left it so it only cripples when immobilize with no icd.

Your Burst Mastery proposal would be better on Powerful Synergy in Tactics.

Keep Axe Mastery as is. Its fine.Change Heightened Focus to be what it used to be, crit chance based on number of adrenaline bars used. (5%,10%,15)Keep the adrenaline gain on Burst Mastery, that does indeed help condi builds, but increase the damage to 10% with a rider that it increases the number of condi stacks on bursts that apply condi (3 more bleed stacks, 2 more burn stacks). This might make flurry on a core build better than auto attacking and would allow Core Condi to compete with Berserker Condi.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Your Burst Mastery proposal would be better on Powerful Synergy in Tactics.

Keep Axe Mastery as is. Its fine.Change Heightened Focus to be what it used to be, crit chance based on number of adrenaline bars used. (5%,10%,15)Keep the adrenaline gain on Burst Mastery, that does indeed help condi builds, but increase the damage to 10% with a rider that it increases the number of condi stacks on bursts that apply condi (3 more bleed stacks, 2 more burn stacks). This might make flurry on a core build better than auto attacking and would allow Core Condi to compete with Berserker Condi.

What I was trying to get at was to divide the grandmaster discipline traits into different distinct categories instead of having all 3 benefit power builds. That way each trait would be given equal consideration depending on build type without being a tug of war for power builds.

In hindsight I realize that tactics is still rather weak and doesn't offer warrior much in terms of support (and I forgot about the warhorn trait only benefiting warhorn.) Would like to see this change though, and have warrior bring something unique that other professions can't provide without further power creep.

Making more adjustmentsShrug it Off: Scrapping this trait all together. Replacing it with a new trait; removing conditions replaces the condition with regeneration. Regeneration you grant also gives 150 bonus vitality/toughness.Quick Breathing: Make warhorn target 10 allies baseline. Gain vitality. Gain bonus vitality while wielding a warhorn. Reduce cooldown on warhorn skills.Powerful Synergy: In addition to it's current effects, grants the combo initiator regeneration and endurance.Burst Mastery: Undoing my previous suggestion of having it grant barrier, replacing it with a condi spec trait. Swapping weapons will knock foes back (130 range PBAOE, 8s icd). If foes are knocked back, your next 5 attacks will inflict 2 stacks of 8 second poison.

edit/Changed my Imminent threat suggestion to inflict exhaustion instead of disenchantmentChanged eternal champion: Rework this. Prevent berserkers from gaining stability and protection while in berserk mode. While in berserk, your attacks are uninterruptible and any incoming stability or protection you gain is immediately converted to vigor, fury, retaliation, regeneration, and resistance. Evade for half a second when you break stuns. Getting interrupted outside of berserk mode will grant adrenaline.