How to ascend high enough on Labyrinthine Cliffs Griffon Master?

Here's a link to Ayin Maiden's run of it, so you know exactly what I'm talking about:

Is there a video that explains what the person is doing, preferably as they are doing it?

What I can't figure out is the big ascent. I dive, I go through the gates, but by the time I need to ascend, I've lost "momentum" and I don't ascend far enough when I press S to clear the cliff. I end up face-in-wall.

It's all very well to watch video after video, but what I need is someone narrating, saying "dive here using skill whatever" and "do this so you have enough momentum to ascend high enough" and such. I need some commentary.

Please help.

• Like 1

Thank you. I already knew almost all of what Tekkit explained, but I didn't know that using flap while diving puts you in a second level of speed boost. I suspect that's what the players in the videos are doing -- although since they don't narrate what they're doing, I don't know for sure.

I didn't mention that I'm an older player with arthritic hands. I'm not certain I can make my hands do the necessary gyrations on my keyboard. But I'll go somewhere high and see what I can manage.

Is it possible - before I try endlessly - to do it without rented mount. (No expansion, no masteries.) From 2018 I found a Dulfy vid where the adventure was a different one - I think. Where people in the forums somewhere said it wouldn't count to the meta achievement and it would not be possible to do it without masteries.

From what I have seen most crystals (except 1 or 2 out of the 6) seem to be in fairly easy positions. With the rented only mounts I can't switch to other mounts or pick up the aspect orbs (to move manually through waterfall for example) cause it won't be possible to get back to the rented mount without using WP when dropping the bundle to summon the mount. (And WP aborts the adventure.)

And wait ... are there 2 ones ... since OP linked the ayind maiden vid from 2018 but I was at another npc and thought that one would be the one for achievement. (One where you have to collect 6 crystals and they are without the blue dome marker thing around. Only flags and on the minimap like with the Dragon Bash Pinata Adventure.)

@Luthan.5236 said:Is it possible - before I try endlessly - to do it without rented mount. (No expansion, no masteries.) From 2018 I found a Dulfy vid where the adventure was a different one - I think. Where people in the forums somewhere said it wouldn't count to the meta achievement and it would not be possible to do it without masteries.

From what I have seen most crystals (except 1 or 2 out of the 6) seem to be in fairly easy positions. With the rented only mounts I can't switch to other mounts or pick up the aspect orbs (to move manually through waterfall for example) cause it won't be possible to get back to the rented mount without using WP when dropping the bundle to summon the mount. (And WP aborts the adventure.)

And wait ... are there 2 ones ... since OP linked the ayind maiden vid from 2018 but I was at another npc and thought that one would be the one for achievement. (One where you have to collect 6 crystals and they are without the blue dome marker thing around. Only flags and on the minimap like with the Dragon Bash Pinata Adventure.)

You are talking about a completely different adventure which is unrelated to the griffon.

I see. So this still one is in the game? Then I guess they just removed the mini map icon for non expansion players. (That's why I was confused. For me it does not show an icon there.)

I guess since I read in older threads it was said that this isn't possible for players without expansions and masteries they didn't want to confused them by making them go there trying - just to fail countless times when it is not possible.

Edit: So I guess for the other one I meant there is no achievement and I can safely ignore it?Maybe ArenaNet could lock the one achievement with the griffon for players without expansions. (Like with some other achievements that are already locked and need requirements to become available.) Would be less confusing. I guess there are some players that might try searching for this just because the achievement is there and in previous festivals and with rental mounts a lot of stuff is made possible without expansion and you'd expect them to keep the same philosophy in other festivals.

Would save time and people asking questions on forums like me. ;)

Just doing it next year then when I'm ready having both expansions and caught up with everything by then.

@"Vethaera.6319" said:Here's a link to Ayin Maiden's run of it, so you know exactly what I'm talking about:

Is there a video that explains what the person is doing, preferably as they are doing it?

What I can't figure out is the big ascent. I dive, I go through the gates, but by the time I need to ascend, I've lost "momentum" and I don't ascend far enough when I press S to clear the cliff. I end up face-in-wall.

I had this problem myself last year, but I was new to it myself so. Pretty sure I was watching Ayin, as well. You said you know how to dive, correct? While diving, press you're Spacebar. Your Griffin will flap a bit harder than it should, as It's building up momentum. But it also flies a ton faster once you do that, THEN you need to press S once it wants you to fly up towards the Mountain(?). I usually about do the momentum twice, That is usually enough to pull me up towards the top. But I will pull a 3rd if I have time and enough space.

Hopefully that helped! Just be weary it's SUPER fast so you need to make your turns quick.