Bunker FB Help?

Aylpse.6280

Because my ONLY alternative is map chat. I need some help. This is strictly from a ranked soloQ perspective. Let me start this off with I am not a noob. I have 14 years of pvp healing under my belt. (Not just this game, I have a laundry list but that is besides the point.) I have been with this game since beta, I have vehemently studied pvp and each meta. What each class and espec does. Ect. Ect.

Yet for some reason I STILL suck, that wall between gold and plat, that line between actually being good and being trash. No matter what I do, YEARS later, no matter what class, I cannot overcome it. Every other FB I face is pretty much immortal. No one seems to be able to kill them before my team gets shred. The second a rev or mesmer even so much as looks at me funny I am floored. Where other FBs seem to have a steady pace and are in control I am being knocked all over, dazed, stunned and slammed into a locker just like in highschool. What am I missing that everyone else has? I'll be 100% real. I have a mental disability, does this restrain me from reaching the skill ceiling? I don't want to be doomed to the mediocrity I seem to be cursed with. Please, if anyone can help me, I would be their pocket healer forever.

First of all, FB is no bunker. The metabattle name is really misguiding. Someone like a pre-nerf and even post-nerf scrapper would be a bunker, for example. FB melts instantly if focused by good enemy team. If you are playing full support FB - my advise would be to either find a duo scourge/rev/etc to queue together, or play hybrid FB. It's pretty much impossible to climb to plat and stay there when solo queuing as a full support FB because you have to rely on your team A LOT. If your team is clueless and your scourge never regroups/feeds mid solo - you can't do anything about it.

Finding a duo partner is a no-go, it's like a job application. I have no real per-requisites, contacts or methods of getting one, I was removed from -that- discord and there are no pvp guilds. So I guess I am stuck with hybrid? Will I get better playing that?

I'm speaking from my own experience here, but I find it much easier to climb on a hybrid FB - less reliant on team's skills, more mobility, can fulfil multiple roles - overall more self-sufficient. I also didn't find it hard to switch to hybrid - maybe playing aggressively could be a bit of a challenge first, but apart from that, I find it quite easy to learn. Also, you might get lucky and meet someone on a pug team who you will then duo with :)

@Aylpse.6280 said:Finding a duo partner is a no-go, it's like a job application. I have no real per-requisites, contacts or methods of getting one, I was removed from -that- discord and there are no pvp guilds. So I guess I am stuck with hybrid? Will I get better playing that?

Just pm someone and ask.

Fb advice is:1) Do not face tank damage. Don't die on point to get those few extra ticks. Surviving at all costs is your most important task. Survive so you can keep supporting.

2) Kite better, jumping puzzles, pillars etc. Time you force people to jump up a cliff is time you aren't taking damage.

3) Understand the incoming damage and suppress it. You need to make snap decisons on specific skills to block/blind/etc. The right decision can negate more damage than you can heal.

Some examples: dagger storm - shield 5Rev shiro heal: courage reflectRev shiro leap: weakness mantraRev sword 3: interrupt with double tap shield 5Necro torch knockdown: aegis mantraMagebane tether on ally: stab mantraAnd so on...

Also you are support not a bunker. Again. You are a support. Not a bunker.

@Aylpse.6280 said:Because my ONLY alternative is map chat. I need some help. This is strictly from a ranked soloQ perspective. Let me start this off with I am not a noob. I have 14 years of pvp healing under my belt. (Not just this game, I have a laundry list but that is besides the point.) I have been with this game since beta, I have vehemently studied pvp and each meta. What each class and espec does. Ect. Ect.

Yet for some reason I STILL suck, that wall between gold and plat, that line between actually being good and being trash. No matter what I do, YEARS later, no matter what class, I cannot overcome it. Every other FB I face is pretty much immortal. No one seems to be able to kill them before my team gets shred. The second a rev or mesmer even so much as looks at me funny I am floored. Where other FBs seem to have a steady pace and are in control I am being knocked all over, dazed, stunned and slammed into a locker just like in highschool. What am I missing that everyone else has? I'll be 100% real. I have a mental disability, does this restrain me from reaching the skill ceiling? I don't want to be doomed to the mediocrity I seem to be cursed with. Please, if anyone can help me, I would be their pocket healer forever.

Couple of tips:

1. Are you using the right build? If you are theory crafting yourself, your first initiative is to use FB/virtues/valor, and you would be wrong. FB is highly dependent on honor, primarily healing on dodge and aegis.
  2. Are you using the right weapons/runes and sigils? This varies, depending if you are playing sage or menders. Full support or not. And there is not a right answer here. Just ensure whatever you select synergies with your build.
  3. Do not use renewed focus. I know again, feels counter intuitive. The stability by elite mantra is a must. CCed FB = dead FB.
  4. You are not exclusively a bunker or a healer. Trying to focus on one of these alone will almost always fail. Your role is a defense coordinator. Some heals, defensive boons, cleanses, CC, fast/instant rezs. Do not try to play as a bunker. Do not try to solo (unless you are sage FB) and do not try to hold far.
  5. Queing solo? I prefer sage FB over full support FB. You can deal substantial damage. One of the strongest side noders (but slow). Can still provide some support. With full support you are more dependent on allies. If they perform poorly, no matter how well you support it will not matter.

As others said, don't put yourself in a situation where you are 100% dependant on your team performance. The key is to be flexible so you can adjust according to situations. Also, since I play kinda support myself, there are situations where I will prioritize some players or some fights over others, and situations where I will DPS because more often than not the best way to keep your team alive is to kill your enemy. In fact the pure support part is very situationnal (timing defensive boons/cc/skills, heals, rez) most of the time I help peeling or finishing. Sometimes I just go for a quick decap, but I have the mobility for it. If you're always on the defensive end you'll eventually fall. It's all about timing pressure and counter pressure.

FB's "bunkering" (misleading build name btw) comes from good positioning and skill rotations, combined with dodge refill from sigils. Guardian's not a class with a lot of passive trait defenses, which means even a sturdier build will melt under a coordinated focus of dazes and interrupts. Which leads into the first point: good positioning.

Good positioning is the result of understanding how enemy team composition works, and not trying to overstay on point while your cooldowns aren't up. Firebrand's really good at sustaining 1v1 duels (against anyone not necromancer), but you're unlikely to be able to hold a 1v2 against competent players for too lengthy a period of time.

If you're dying to mesmer and revenant in a 1v1 situation, you're likely wasting your dodge rolls and cooldowns (and lore charges) on skills that aren't fundamental in those situations.

@GewRoo.4172 said:

@"TanksK.4795" said:Use mace and camp and don't go to staff in fight. Better switch staff to focus. Bring renewed focused, condition cleanse mantra and stand your ground. Always kite. These will help with survi.

Some ppl shouldn't be allowed to comment here. No staff? Sure xd

Again, it comes down to what exact built the OP is playing. You need a staff as a "classic" mantra healer, but you wouldn't use it as a hybrid FB which uses zxe/sh / sw/focus

@GewRoo.4172 said:

@TanksK.4795 said:Use mace and camp and don't go to staff in fight. Better switch staff to focus. Bring renewed focused, condition cleanse mantra and stand your ground. Always kite. These will help with survi.

Sage FB recommended weapons are axe/focus and mace/shield. Support must run staff though.

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

@"TanksK.4795" said:Use mace and camp and don't go to staff in fight. Better switch staff to focus. Bring renewed focused, condition cleanse mantra and stand your ground. Always kite. These will help with survi.

Again, it comes down to what exact built the OP is playing. You need a staff as a "classic" mantra healer, but you wouldn't use it as a hybrid FB which uses zxe/sh / sw/focus

OP is talking about support, so what.