WvW and NO mount

Gorkus.7496

I'm a not so new player, but new to WvW. I tried yesterday for an hour and simply could not keep up with all the mounts to cap a thing. 1 hour = zero pips. Are there any guilds or groups that are doing WvW for those of us who don't have a warclaw yet? I know I can Git gud and all that, but it is none the less disheartening to always be late to the party. I'm sure others in this situation feel the same way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really that i've seen (EU). Most Commanders/group did tend to not use the Mount when it was first released so people could keep up etc... But since it's been out for so long, it's easier/quicker to just Mount up and roll out to Isengard.

Only real advice is play something with high mobility (Thief works, Shortbow) or work on getting your Mount ASAP.

Minus playing an extremely high mobility class, there are ways to get going in this:

• go to the borderlands. Preferably the enemies. Flip the spawn camp, call out assist for spawn tower, kill sentries and kill yaks. You’ll be at T3+ quickly.
  • Once at T-4 ish, continually look for camps close you your spawns to flip or defend.
  • Kill the veteran creatures
  • Grab two or three others and flip towers.
  • If you get a chance to catch up to the Zerg, look for keeps they might attack. Those, on the BLs include the one closest to your spawn, or an enemy one close to upgrading.
  • Be prepared to die.. (even if it’s not fighting Inigo Montoya)
  • If you are determined to go to EBG, repair walls that are getting destroyed by catas. It’s a futile exercise, but you’ll get participation credit.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Minus playing an extremely high mobility class, there are ways to get going in this:

• go to the borderlands. Preferably the enemies. Flip the spawn camp, call out assist for spawn tower, kill sentries and kill yaks. You’ll be at T3+ quickly.
  • Once at T-4 ish, continually look for camps close you your spawns to flip or defend.
  • Kill the veteran creatures
  • Grab two or three others and flip towers.
  • If you get a chance to catch up to the Zerg, look for keeps they might attack. Those, on the BLs include the one closest to your spawn, or an enemy one close to upgrading.
  • Be prepared to die.. (even if it’s not fighting Inigo Montoya)
  • If you are determined to go to EBG, repair walls that are getting destroyed by catas. It’s a futile exercise, but you’ll get participation credit.

This is really helpful, thanks!

@Gorkus.7496 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Also: to get the keep capture, weekly reset can be quite productive for that.

How so? Can you elaborate?

There is much higher compacted activity in the first two to three hours after the weekly reset in WvW. Keeps tend to flip frequently, especially ones closest to spawns. They are not upgraded yet, so they tend to flip quickly. Also, if you have a harder time catching up to the tag, if they are going to the keep closest to your spawn, you SHOULD be able to catch them in the Lords room to get credit for the cap.

Another way to get cap credit for keeps and towers is to kill guards.

Often as I am running by a tower or keep, I’ll kill an enemy guard. If that structure flips while I am on the map, I get credit for the flip. (It also ‘taps’ the structure which may bring a scout to check it too...)

@Gorkus.7496 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:You could also give a shout in map chat to see if you could team up with a havoc group while you are getting what you need as well.

Team up and roam with one or two other of the mount-less sounds like the plan. ty

Often, the small groups may also wait up for you even if they have mounts.

There are very vocal trolls in WvW. But the majority of players are quietly helpful.

@Gorkus.7496 said:I'm a not so new player, but new to WvW. I tried yesterday for an hour and simply could not keep up with all the mounts to cap a thing. 1 hour = zero pips. Are there any guilds or groups that are doing WvW for those of us who don't have a warclaw yet? I know I can Git gud and all that, but it is none the less disheartening to always be late to the party. I'm sure others in this situation feel the same way.

This is like opening up a book and being bothered that you don't know the ending when others have read it. Just take the time to read the book or in this case get the mount, it isn't really hard if you like WvW.

Everything Strider stated is pretty spot on. A big thing for me that helped being late to the party as well with the Warclaw is hopping on discord with the zerg and learning where the next plan of attack was going to be. Once I knew of the location I would quickly use a WP (if possible) and then travel on foot to the outer perimeter of where everyone is meeting. (Most servers have a discord or a teamspeak for WvW, not sure if your server does, maybe you can look them up?)

It can get chaotic and difficult on foot, but it's possible. Just takes a lot of pre-planning and anticipating/listening in on what the Commander is doing.

I don't have the math in front of me, but if you can keep up perm swiftness (ranger, revenant), your movement speed is only slightly (?) slower than a warclaw's while in enemy territory.

And while I can't say for certain on your server, I know several pugmanders on my server who will dismount to help those who don't have a mount keep up, or at least will wait longer for the tail to catchup.

Can't help but notice that in the Lab Cliffs for this festival, we can now rent a SPRINGER, and a SKIMMER on top of already being able to rent Raptors and Beetles in other festivals. Can we rent a Griffon too?

So, why again can't we have a Warclaw rental NPC??? I'm sure the coding for such an NPC would be close to an easy copy/paste, right?

@Crazy.6029 said:

@Gorkus.7496 said:I'm a not so new player, but new to WvW. I tried yesterday for an hour and simply could not keep up with all the mounts to cap a thing. 1 hour = zero pips. Are there any guilds or groups that are doing WvW for those of us who don't have a warclaw yet? I know I can Git gud and all that, but it is none the less disheartening to always be late to the party. I'm sure others in this situation feel the same way.

This is like opening up a book and being bothered that you don't know the ending when others have read it. Just take the time to read the book or in this case get the mount, it isn't really hard if you like WvW.

I respect your opinion, but I would argue it's more like opening a book with a bunch of classmates only to find the text is in a foreign language and everyone but you can read it. And then you're handed a quiz. I would also argue that the fact that I am here asking questions indicates a desire to learn to read that language, wouldn't you agree?

@Gorkus.7496 said:

I respect your opinion, but I would argue it's more like opening a book with a bunch of classmates only to find the text is in a foreign language and everyone but you can read it. And then you're handed a quiz. I would also argue that the fact that I am here asking questions indicates a desire to learn to read that language, wouldn't you agree?

Well said. As I noted in my last post... ?

The solutions are in @Strider Pj.2193's post.Go out and earn it.

dunno, i'm playing Power scourge with Trail & dagger/torch, usually just swap torch for WH to have 2 speedboosts and 90% of the time I can keep up because of being in teamspeak with the zerg. actively listening and pre-running a bit works pretty well, however I find myself being behind a good amount of times aswell... luckily it's pretty easy to get the mount, afterall it's just another reward path. gonna be done with that today thankfully...

@"Blockhead Magee.3092" said:We're long overdue for the Warclaw to be a rental in WvW for those who can't or haven't gotten it yet. What a missed opportunity for Anet to both improve play and promote the mount (might get someone to buck up for POF).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mount_Rental

That list got longer and more extensive. Went from just being able to rent the beetle to pretty much every PvE mount but the Skyclaw.

The tech exists. Only ANET knows why it hasn't been implemented in WvW.

And y'know, before someone decides to point out that outside the bettle mount, the other rentals happen during festivals - fine. In that case, next time we have a No Downed Core Golem Bloodlust event, they add these vendors so new players can get a leg up on grabbing the warclaw.

But it shouldn't have to come to that. Players can participate in the beetle races around Tyria without having to spend the time in getting the Beetle mount, why not enable WvW'ers the same way by giving them access to a non-mastery rental mount.

/boggle