Chaotic Interruption Temporarily Disabled in PvP

shadowpass.4236

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

Good day, all,

We've been listening to your feedback following the previous balance update, and we heard about issues around the mirage's Chaotic Interruption (CI) playstyle in PvP—in particular its lack of counterplay and present dominance. We agree that this is an issue, and that it's creating degenerate play and negatively affecting PvP.

We've been discussing changes to it, and this is not something that can be addressed well via a hotfix or as part of our short-term release. Changes are going to take some time before they are ready because they involve multiple traits and affect different game modes. Our current estimation is that the complete changes will be ready for the next balance update.

We don't want to leave the situation in PvP as it is, so we've made the decision to disable the CI trait only in PvP until the fix is ready.

Thanks for your understanding and patience as we prepare the changes. Again, they will take a bit of time, and we wanted to communicate our reasoning clearly.

Sincerely,The GW2 Systems Team

<3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest to you @"sephiroth.4217" , CI was always a problematic trait. Disabling it isn't "bad" in itself. It was a trait that was too good for its tradeoffs - no real loss on boons while basically stunning your foe (daze + immobilization basically acting like a stun).

What ANet is saying here, and I think a lot of people missed it, is that they are REWORKING Mesmer's traitlines, and even if I am not overly hyped ( because I mean... ANet and balance never rhymes ) I am happy to see changes to Mesmer overall, one of the most stagnant classes overall ( always keeping Duelling, for example).

@DigiQWill.6378 said:To be honest to you @"sephiroth.4217" , CI was always a problematic trait. Disabling it isn't "bad" in itself. It was a trait that was too good for its tradeoffs - no real loss on boons while basically stunning your foe (daze + immobilization basically acting like a stun).

What ANet is saying here, and I think a lot of people missed it, is that they are REWORKING Mesmer's traitlines, and even if I am not overly hyped ( because I mean... ANet and balance never rhymes ) I am happy to see changes to Mesmer overall, one of the most stagnant classes overall ( always keeping Duelling, for example).

I just adapted... dropped a damage utility for a stab or condi removal.. maybe changed a few traits and CI at best was laughable.

This is a handout to everyone who refused to adapt in my eyes.

Isn't IH the reason why the trait is "overperforming"?

@Sampson.2403 said:So when does this disabling of CI take effect? Is it already in place?

EDIT - what's the next broken build to play? I need that brokenness to feel alive. Enlighten me. Dazzle me with brilliance!

Yep. It's already in place.

It's holo. Was watching Vallun streams and he was in Plat 2 games with 6 holos, 2 on his team 4 on the enemy team.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@DigiQWill.6378 said:To be honest to you @sephiroth.4217 , CI was always a problematic trait. Disabling it isn't "bad" in itself. It was a trait that was too good for its tradeoffs - no real loss on boons while basically stunning your foe (daze + immobilization basically acting like a stun).

I just adapted... dropped a damage utility for a stab or condi removal.. maybe changed a few traits and CI at best was laughable.

This is a handout to everyone who refused to adapt in my eyes.

Isn't IH the reason why the trait is "overperforming"?

No the trait is overperforming because it turns Mantra of Distraction into an instant lock down what should not exist in general. But because Mantra needs to be instant to not be completely useless as an interrupt tool (and is not op when only dazes) you have to balance interrupt traits around the interrupt tool, means you need to make sure that Mantra cannot be combined with hard cc like stun, knockback etc. and immob. IH has nothing to do with CI. IH is not even the problem why Condimirage as a build is overperforming, the condi clone autoattacks and clone ambush attacks (scepter, staff, axe) are overperforming not IH or DE.

Still this is a bad way again, is it too hard to just remove the immob until it get fully reworked, that a Mesmer still gets the other trait-rewards for interrupting? And not just delete the whole trait what a lot of ppl maybe don't even know when not reading forums?

@shadowpass.4236 said:@"sephiroth.4217"

Stability gets ripped by Arcane Thievery or Sigil of Annulment on weapon swap. These two abilities can be used roughly every 20 seconds, much lower than the cooldowns for most stability skills. In other words, every time you pop stab, the mesmer can strip it.

Assuming the mesmer is refusing to switch weapons and specifically waits for a stab to rip... of which you can reapply anyway.

Like I said, its a handout in my eyes to those who don't like changing thier builds to adapt. Just my opinion.

Anyway... most people are about to find out theres something much more annoying and stronger than CI there.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Stability gets ripped by
or
on weapon swap. These two abilities can be used roughly every 20 seconds, much lower than the cooldowns for most stability skills. In other words, every time you pop stab, the mesmer can strip it.

Assuming the mesmer is refusing to switch weapons and specifically waits for a stab to rip... of which you can reapply anyway.

Like I said, its a handout in my eyes to those who don't like changing thier builds to adapt. Just my opinion.

Anyway... most people are about to find out theres something much more annoying and stronger than CI there.

All classes get nerfs. And now the shoe is on the other foot.Is it hypocritical for mesmer mains to chant for nerfs for other classes? Especially when those other classes don't have something 'more annoying' and 'stronger' than CI to replace it with? I don't know and I'm not saying it is. But I do wonder.

As devs they should know both CI and mantra of distraction has been there for years, except people barely see in PvP up until recently. Its only getting such popularity because of its interaction with mirage and almost every other mesmer builds are butchered. Disable the trait without addressing this interaction is lazy bandaid appealing to general mass. Very ill thought out. Those who affected by it will just jumps on the next FOTM build and the cycle continues.

Well I hope this will put the mesmer complaints to rest, seeing now none of the core mesmer GM traits are "build defining"...Oh who am I kidding, people will still complain about mesmer :P

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

Stability gets ripped by
or
on weapon swap. These two abilities can be used roughly every 20 seconds, much lower than the cooldowns for most stability skills. In other words, every time you pop stab, the mesmer can strip it.

All classes get nerfs. And now the shoe is on the other foot.Is it hypocritical for mesmer mains to chant for nerfs for other classes? Especially when those other classes don't have something 'more annoying' and 'stronger' than CI to replace it with? I don't know and I'm not saying it is. But I do wonder.

I main DD Tempest. I think im being unbias about it but I could be wrong.

But what evs... my DD tempest after a trait change was handling it ok so my opinion won't change.

So now im laughing because a DD temp has bested all of you. Never woulda thought Id see the day again but hey, here we are.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Stability gets ripped by
or

I main DD Tempest. I think im being unbias about it but I could be wrong.

But what evs... my DD tempest after a trait change was handling it ok so my opinion still doesn't change.

So now im laughing because a DD temp has bested all of you. Never woulda thought Id see the day but hey here we are.

I didn't say biased, I said hypocritical. It wasn't aimed at you directly, but rather at the very vocal minority that rarely plays.

Your point would hold up if only DD eles and mesmers were the only two playable classes in PvP.

We did it boys! One more mesmer traitline is useless now.Mirage - 1 good trait (smack the forums with IH complains now)Chrono - dead lulChaos - PU (useless in pvp anyway)Dueling - 1 good trait (after IH we will come for deceptive evasion)Illusion - 1 good traitInspi - meme traitlineDom - 2 or 3 good traits (power mesmer is awful so no worries)

We're getting there!

I just don't get why they disable it so close to the end of the season.

I agree it needs a rework and all that, but punishing players who's used the tools given to them in order to climb the entire season seems extremely harsh as it's not their fault the last balance patch didn't adress this already.

The better option would have been to disable it when the off-season starts, given we don't even get a date for the next balance pass (and by the sound of it it's a big one) leading us to speculate based on previous releases - meaning it will be disabled for quite a while. Would be so perfect to do in off-season given some don't play, others try new builds in unranked and the changes wouldn't hurt your rewards.

I hope anet takes this into consideration in the future, aswell as going back to a steady release schedule between seasons so players can adapt before it starts. Only hotfixes should be adressed mid season.