Holosmith: A Discussion

Enduronex.4865

There's a few things about Holosmith I really think need to be changed:

1. Photonic Blasting Module (trait in last column on Holosmith Specialization) needs to be removed from the game, considering it forces you to be punished for overheating, precisely what the trait DEMANDS you to do. Instead, replace it with a trait called Infrared Emission. Infrared Emission - Overheat no longer deals damage to you; Toolbelt skills no longer disabled upon overheat (except for Engage Photon Forge); Upon Overheat, gain Fire Aura for duration of heat cooldown and grant Fire Aura on up to 5 allies within 360 range for 5 seconds.

The idea behind this is to grant synergy between you and teammates while also not having a trait that punishes you for using it as intended.

1. Coolant Blast/Cauterize suggested changes. Coolant Blast: Base healing of 6,000; Increase AoE Chilled (lasting 4 seconds on up to 5 targets) up to 360 radius; Grant Frost Aura for 4 seconds regardless of heat level; Add 3 seconds of regeneration regardless of Heat level; Above 50% Heat: Reduce Heat by 20% and grant 4 seconds of Cooling Vapor (8 if above 100% while using Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit). Cauterize: No longer inflicts self-burning upon cleansing conditions.

2. Power Wrench: Reduce recharge of your elite skill when you dodge reduced from 3 second reduction to 1.5 second reduction for PvP only (nerf). Otherwise you have players Prime Light Beaming every 30 seconds and people getting out of Photon Forge Overheat w/ Mortar Kit because it's cooldown isn't aligned with Photon Forge anymore.

3. Elixir R/Toss Elixir R - Elixir R: Reduce base cooldown from 30 to 25 seconds (from 24 to 20 seconds under HGH); Toss Elixir R: Reduce base cooldown from 90 seconds to 50 seconds. This skill is not being used enough in PvE, WvW or PvP and it needs a buff.

@"memausz.7264" said:There's a few things about Holosmith I really think need to be changed:

1. Photonic Blasting Module (trait in last column on Holosmith Specialization) needs to be removed from the game, considering it forces you to be punished for overheating, precisely what the trait DEMANDS you to do. Instead, replace it with a trait called Infrared Emission. Infrared Emission - Overheat no longer deals damage to you; Toolbelt skills no longer disabled upon overheat (except for Engage Photon Forge); Upon Overheat, gain Fire Aura for duration of heat cooldown and grant Fire Aura on up to 5 allies within 360 range for 5 seconds.

The idea behind this is to grant synergy between you and teammates while also not having a trait that punishes you for using it as intended.

1. Coolant Blast/Cauterize suggested changes. Coolant Blast: Base healing of 6,000; Increase AoE Chilled (lasting 4 seconds on up to 5 targets) up to 360 radius; Grant Frost Aura for 4 seconds regardless of heat level; Add 3 seconds of regeneration regardless of Heat level; Above 50% Heat: Reduce Heat by 20% and grant 4 seconds of Cooling Vapor (8 if above 100% while using Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit). Cauterize: No longer inflicts self-burning upon cleansing conditions.

2. Power Wrench: Reduce recharge of your elite skill when you dodge reduced from 3 second reduction to 1.5 second reduction for PvP only (nerf). Otherwise you have players Prime Light Beaming every 30 seconds and people getting out of Photon Forge Overheat w/ Mortar Kit because it's cooldown isn't aligned with Photon Forge anymore.

3. Elixir R/Toss Elixir R - Elixir R: Reduce base cooldown from 30 to 25 seconds (from 24 to 20 seconds under HGH); Toss Elixir R: Reduce base cooldown from 90 seconds to 50 seconds. This skill is not being used enough in PvE, WvW or PvP and it needs a buff.

resumen: my class isnt enought OP, i want it more OP

@megilandil.7506 said:

@"memausz.7264" said:There's a few things about Holosmith I really think need to be changed:

Careful they might hear you and decide to go through with it

1. Power Wrench: Reduce recharge of your elite skill when you dodge reduced from 3 second reduction to 1.5 second reduction for PvP only (nerf). Otherwise you have players Prime Light Beaming every 30 seconds and people getting out of Photon Forge Overheat w/ Mortar Kit because it's cooldown isn't aligned with Photon Forge anymore.

For the record, leaving photon forge with a mortar kit swap doesn't trigger the condi clear trait, so its actually a bad idea to do this unless you take something like resistance runes.

@megilandil.7506 said:

Yes, because having a useless trait is somehow OP. I want to know how you went through that line of logic.Infrared Emission is only a group Fire Aura - Elementalists do that and yet I do not see complains from you about that. Basilisk Venom is too strong IMO, and there are a number of other group add-ons that are way stronger than this - and think about this, this is not Vent Exhaust or Enhanced Heat Capacity - so it ends up being quite balanced.

I addressed it: Coolant Blast/Cauterize IS NOT used enough. In any game mode. It needs a buff, respectively.

Power Wrench needs a nerf because of how individuals have been using it to obtain Prime Light Beam every 30 seconds (too strong) and because people can combine it with mortar kit to get out of Photon Forge early and not get punished for having high heat levels for too long. That's a nerf that makes the class less strong, so I really do not understand how you're interpreting this as a buff.

Elixir R/Toss Elixir R are NEVER used in any game mode because of their excessively long rewards for little gain. Their cooldowns need to be decreased.

@"Ryan.9387" said:

1. Power Wrench: Reduce recharge of your elite skill when you dodge reduced from 3 second reduction to 1.5 second reduction for PvP only (nerf). Otherwise you have players Prime Light Beaming every 30 seconds and people getting out of Photon Forge Overheat w/ Mortar Kit because it's cooldown isn't aligned with Photon Forge anymore.

For the record, leaving photon forge with a mortar kit swap doesn't trigger the condi clear trait, so its actually a bad idea to do this unless you take something like resistance runes.

The idea was never a condition clear, the idea was that users in 80% or higher heat range that Re-Engage Photon Forge aren't punished nearly enough when using Power Wrench while wielding Mortar Kit. That's all the point there was to it.

@megilandil.7506 said:

Additionally, have you even seen Photonic Blasting Module used after patch, like, ever? It's useless in PvE, it's horridly weak in PvP, and it's bad in WvW - it's a dead trait. Understand that.

And Yes, I know mirages, thieves are OP at the moment. But we are talking Holosmith here.

@memausz.7264 said:

@memausz.7264 said:There's a few things about Holosmith I really think need to be changed:

Yes, because having a useless trait is somehow OP. I want to know how you went through that line of logic.Infrared Emission is only a group Fire Aura - Elementalists do that and yet I do not see complains from you about that. Basilisk Venom is too strong IMO, and there are a number of other group add-ons that are
way
stronger than this - and think about this, this is
not
Vent Exhaust or Enhanced Heat Capacity - so it ends up being
quite
balanced.

I addressed it: Coolant Blast/Cauterize IS NOT used enough. In any game mode. It needs a buff, respectively.

Power Wrench needs a nerf because of how individuals have been using it to obtain Prime Light Beam every 30 seconds (too strong) and because people can combine it with mortar kit to get out of Photon Forge early and not get punished for having high heat levels for too long. That's a nerf that makes the class
less
strong, so I really do not understand how you're interpreting this as a buff.

Elixir R/Toss Elixir R are NEVER used in any game mode because of their excessively long rewards for little gain. Their cooldowns need to be decreased.

@"Ryan.9387" said:

The idea was never a condition clear, the idea was that users in 80% or higher heat range that Re-Engage Photon Forge aren't punished nearly enough when using Power Wrench while wielding Mortar Kit. That's all the point there was to it.

There is absolutely no reason to nerf power wrench because of that. Anyone taking power wrench to drop holo form to avoid overheat will be forced to dodge to proc power wrench. They will probably also have vent exhaust, so the dodge to make their mortar kit CD available will also remove heat and stop them from overheating.

It will literally achieve nothing.

If you want to look at holo to nerf it, look at kinetic battery or anticorrosive plating.

I do agree on PBM being useless now and needing change.

@Ryan.9387 said:

@memausz.7264 said:There's a few things about Holosmith I really think need to be changed:

Yes, because having a useless trait is somehow OP. I want to know how you went through that line of logic.Infrared Emission is only a group Fire Aura - Elementalists do that and yet I do not see complains from you about that. Basilisk Venom is too strong IMO, and there are a number of other group add-ons that are
way
stronger than this - and think about this, this is
not
Vent Exhaust or Enhanced Heat Capacity - so it ends up being
quite
balanced.

Power Wrench needs a nerf because of how individuals have been using it to obtain Prime Light Beam every 30 seconds (too strong) and because people can combine it with mortar kit to get out of Photon Forge early and not get punished for having high heat levels for too long. That's a nerf that makes the class
less
strong, so I really do not understand how you're interpreting this as a buff.

There is absolutely no reason to nerf power wrench because of that. Anyone taking power wrench to drop holo form to avoid overheat will be forced to dodge to proc power wrench. They will probably also have vent exhaust, so the dodge to make their mortar kit CD available will also remove heat and stop them from overheating.

It will literally achieve nothing.

If you want to look at holo to nerf it, look at kinetic battery or anticorrosive plating.

I do agree on PBM being useless now and needing change.

Fair point, so maybe remove the bonus (only from PvP) entirely because it has a place in WvW (you need SOMETHING to counter Scourge condition blasts) and PvE (because why do we need to make raids HARDER if there isn't going to be a scaling system)?

But I still insist on buffs to Coolant Blast/Cauterize and to Elixir R/Toss Elixir R.