New System build question

I'm getting ready to build a new system. With the game being so CPU intensive is there much difference between how the game runs on Intel vs AMD-Ryzen CPUs? I'm thinking about trying to run under Linux (possibly Mageia) at first to see how well it runs the game. I have other systems to play the game on which allows me time to experiment with software configurations. Does running Linux that affect the choice of processor and graphic card? Suggestions?

I play on a ryzen the problem with the game is no matter what when you load into an area with other people and spells going off it will choke your system some. The game isnt using but one core for most everything. Until they do true multicore you will always have a problem, even the best rigs would do better if the games engine were updated. So until then get the best cpu you can with amazing performance on a single core run, you can have multi cores but make sure that the cpu can perform great using a single core for the game. Another thing to be aware of is that the game is dx9, dx9 in gw2 runs most of the game and all of the draw calls off one cpu thread. Thats why when you are in a populated area it drops fps , dx12 utilities multi threaded draw calls thereby easing the backup one a single thread. Even dx11 uses a better system. This is a bane of mmorpg games but the sooner they move forward the better, wow has made the leap so have others.

About linux if you have never used linux before then i suggest linux mint, its clean and familiar and has a lot of development to ease windows users over to linux. There is a thread here about playing on linux. They give lots of good information, you can prob find out more about specs in that thread.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/31192/playing-guild-wars-2-on-linux-performance-optimizations-and-more/p1

I would look at AMD's new Ryzen 3000 CPU's price to performance at the moment they are leading the pack secondly if you plan on running Linux AMD's Linux support is second to none as they make drivers for there products opensource and are tightly integrated into the Linux kernel as a result.

GPUs once again Look at AMD on Linux. you will not have to dance around installing the proprietary driver as the best driver for your card is already in the kernel as a result there are reports of the Vega 64 outperforming the 1080ti in Linux

DistributionIf you are new to Linux, I recommend anything in the Ubuntu family this includes Linux Mint as it is derived from Ubuntu. but I do not recommend either mint or Ubuntu mainline. for new users one distro jumps out as the new king of ease of use

Pop!_OS from System 76 https://system76.com/popKey software your going to need for gaming is in already in it's "pop shop" software center so you wont have to dance around with PPAs to install key packages like Lutris or steam. couple clicks and your good to go secondly they have a ISO with the NVIDIA proprietary drivers on board and ready to go. they also tend to be up to date on the kernel version and MESA

GW2 is based on an older version of DirectX (v9) which really can't take advantage of the all the performance gee-whiz stuff in the latest, greatest windows pc's and it will run well on some fairly low-end pcs. It ran well on a 6+ year old mid-range Dell home pc until that pc's harddrive died. And even though I got a pretty good, better than average replacement that fell well into the wife-was-pissed-I-spent-so-much category, gw2 runs better and looks better but its only fractionally noticeable. Other games I played (like World of Warcraft) were like "HOLY FREAKING **BEEEEEEEEEEEP*** THIS GAME IS NOW IS SOOOO AWESOME" but not GW2.

If GW2 ever gets ported to the latest DirextX, a high end pc will make a huge difference, but that kind of action would be a major project on the level of delivering a new Living World. I'm not sure that Anet has the interest in doing it at this time.