What is a CI Mirage!?

Bloodwine.6450

Been away from the game for a while, come back to see the phrase CI MIRAGE mentioned in almost every post. I can’t even Google wtf people are talking about so I’m just gunna ask it here, what is this new Meta everyone’s losing their minds over and what does CI stand for, confusing Images? The scepter #3 skill?

Main difference of one chaos gm trait (maybe two with descent into madness instead of master of manipulation) and one skill (mantra of distraction) = wow such a new and unique "build" nobody ever thought of before and suddenly is flavour of the month/deserving of its own buzzword.

Don't worry they'll nuke the trait next patch and fotm will move on to next "broken" concept. /salt

@"Curunen.8729" said:Main difference of one chaos gm trait (maybe two with descent into madness instead of master of manipulation) and one skill (mantra of distraction) = wow such a new and unique "build" nobody ever thought of before and suddenly is flavour of the month/deserving of its own buzzword.

Don't worry they'll nuke the trait next patch and fotm will move on to next "broken" concept. /salt

@"Curunen.8729" said:Main difference of one chaos gm trait (maybe two with descent into madness instead of master of manipulation) and one skill (mantra of distraction) = wow such a new and unique "build" nobody ever thought of before and suddenly is flavour of the month/deserving of its own buzzword.

This.The problem is what will mesmers move to? Alternatives are running short.This "knowledgeable community" is getting what they want, little by little mesmer is getting deleted.

Keeping the masses happy over listening to minorities is usually not a frowned upon approach. After all, when the majority of complains are from low level PvPers who just get frustrated from the mode and quit, it is in the interest of Anet to do something about it to retain players if they care at all about PvP, else the population will not grow.

Sadly, thief and Mesmer, by design, are annoying to high-fight against, which is why these two classes have suffered from an inordinate amount of nerfs. Maybe nothing short of a remade class will keep players happy (on the upside, the last shadow arts update shows that Anet can do this, so there's some hope left).

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

This.The problem is what will mesmers move to? Alternatives are running short.This "knowledgeable community" is getting what they want, little by little mesmer is getting deleted.

We're moving from Chrono to Firebrand and Alacrigade :)

Yeah I've refused to play the CI build mostly because I'd rather not get accustomed to something that will undoubtedly be vaporized soon. It's a wonder they left it alone in the last update. Having encountered others using it though, I won't deny it's pretty annoying to fight against, even if it's not unbeatable.

Someone said the top 3 on NA are CI mirage. If this is true, there's no way it doesn't get hit.

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

Yeah I've refused to play the CI build mostly because I'd rather not get accustomed to something that will undoubtedly be vaporized soon. It's a wonder they left it alone in the last update. Having encountered others using it though, I won't deny it's pretty annoying to fight against, even if it's not unbeatable.

Someone said the top 3 on NA are CI mirage. If this is true, there's no way it doesn't get hit.

This is the issue, even if things are noticed late/close to the patch, nothing happens for ages. I'm hoping to see some tweak on Tuesday, if just to move the fotm players on and stem the whining. But there's every chance of either totally destroying the trait very soon, or absolutely nothing until September/October...

I think packing enough cleanses helps, and is less effective in mirror match because mirage don't really care about immobilise as can dodge anyway.

To be fair CI has always been very strong since they merged the boons into it - just not had a build make proper use of it since then because well, power interrupt generally took Domination for power block and condirupt was kind of weak/niche even with Mistrust (which in that case required Duelling). Mirage benefiting from hybrid damage, makes best use of the boons/might stacks and synergy with maintaining things like vigour and regen where possible, and as the meta hybrid mirage has kind of been Chaos since pof launch makes it barely much sacrifice to go CI and swap one utility skill for MoD. Especially since they overnerfed things like BD and IA...Biggest sacrifice is condi cleanse - eg mantra of resolve or arcane thievery etc - no room to slot it (and if they running one of these plus MoD that's a disadvantage if someone else has a more effective utility).

Tbh I'd rather they incentivise Focus with condirupt - which is much more fun, just needs buffs still on iwarden to compete.

I think things like Pistol 5, iMage, Focus 4 - all these things are perfectly fine with CI immobilise because there is an opportunity to react to it.

Chaos Storm ought to have it maybe not be able to proc daze on the first tick, only on the second and last or something - again so there is opportunity to react.

It's just MoD synergy with it - which MoD has always been kind of a gimmick skill - yes benefiting from good timing and potential to be used in the past in builds which required a decent amount of skill. But now it's seasoning on top of an already strong build.

I really think Domination should get it's own Mantra trait back - maybe a Master major trait - for cooldown reduction etc of mantras. Then they can nerf base mantra recharge making it less effective without traiting domination. So would be incentivising use more in power interrupt than condi interrupt.

Before even fixing builds, or trying to balance around them, they should solve the core issue of Mesmer in general first, making it playable and reliable in all game modes. Afterwards, they can focus on individual side issues because of such changes as they did with Phantasms. CI Mirage is merely a byproduct of changes meant to balance through numbers instead of hitting the mechanical elements of the profession that create such a situation in the first place.

@BadMed.3846 said:We need nerfs first. Redesigning can be done later. Get rid of this broken spec please Anet.

Redesign gets rid of broken specs, because the whole idea aims to fix the core issue you have with the entire profession. You are always crying for more nerfs, but that is not the answer, it merely solves one small issue at any given moment, the core problem will just make something else come to the top instead. It always happens like that.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83741/chaotic-interruption-temporarily-disabled-in-pvp

@Korgov.7645 said:

Your point being...?

I've already stated my opinion in the other thread.

@Curunen.8729 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:Main difference of one chaos gm trait (maybe two with descent into madness instead of master of manipulation) and one skill (mantra of distraction) = wow such a new and unique "build" nobody ever thought of before and suddenly is flavour of the month/deserving of its own buzzword.

Your point being...?

I didn't notice the other thread.

But just pointing out how accurately you predicted CI is troublesome enough to cause the next nerf.

I bet no-one expected the whole grandmaster trait getting instantly deleted for 3 months for core mesmers and chronos, too.

@Korgov.7645 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:Main difference of one chaos gm trait (maybe two with descent into madness instead of master of manipulation) and one skill (mantra of distraction) = wow such a new and unique "build" nobody ever thought of before and suddenly is flavour of the month/deserving of its own buzzword.

Your point being...?

I didn't notice the other thread.

But just pointing out how accurately you predicted CI is troublesome enough to cause the next nerf.

I bet no-one expected the whole grandmaster trait getting instantly deleted for 3 months for core mesmers and chronos, too.

My apologies for coming across so bluntly. :) Difficult to tell sometimes the tone given how much whining happens regarding mesmers in this forum.

@"Bigpapasmurf.5623" said:This may be the realist/optimist in me, however I see wayyyyyy more calls for "nerfs" when there should be calls for "balance"

Inclined to agree. The aim of whatever restructuring should be first and foremost promoting fairness in class power distribution. Nerfing a class may cause us to require other nerfs, but this shouldn't be fueled by merely revenge or failure to adapt to playstyles that you can do something about without having to run a specific class .