A Thought About The Dragons

Akisohida.8963

I just cleared the Pact story, so I'm about to enter Living World Chap 2, so that's where my knowledge is at.

So we know Elder Dragons consume magic, fall asleep, and then emit that magic back into the world, right?

But why?

They're not digesting it; magic seems to go back to 'normal' levels after a millennia or so, right? So it's not being destroyed or 'digested' or otherwise removed to fuel the dragons like food fuels people. Energy is not being removed from the equation when it enters dragons; it seems to return to the world from them in a 1:1 ratio insofar as we know.

So...why? Why do they devour magic?

I have three thoughts on this:

Cleansing:
What if a buildup of magic is bad? Corrupting itself in some way, like how a stagnant pool can be unsafe to drink, but flowing water is safer. After all, dragons are 'forces of nature' and nature likes to be in balance, right? Creatures breeding too fast? Predators will thin their numbers. Or disease will happen.

What if magic building up & being used alters it in some way?

What if dragons devouring magic 'cleanses' it, like a living filter of some kind?

Always A Bigger Fish:
What if the dragons were put on Tyria to prevent a buildup of magic?

What if there's something bigger than the dragons slumbering deep in the world? And it, too, would awaken if ambient magic got too powerful?

And so some beings (who or what is unknown) created the dragons, or even pulled them through the Mists, to prevent magic from ever growing strong enough to awake this being?

But that raises the question; was it bound? And by who, or what?

Maybe the dragons themselves fought it? Perhaps they altered themselves to be able devour magic to render this being comatose?

Perhaps they drew it to Tyria in order to bind it, and then they entered a cycle to awaken & devour magic before it could grow plentiful enough to awaken this being again, then sleep once more?

Like A Balloon:

This goes hand-in-hand with 'Cleansing' above. What if magical energy can build up to a critical point? Like over-inflating a balloon.

The dragons exist to lower the magical pressure of the world before it reaches critical mass, storing it in their own bodies and slowly releasing it back into the world because they cannot hold those pressures, either.

In all three scenarios; the End Of Dragons heralds Very Bad Things once the dragons are gone.

Thank you for coming to my TED (Technologies for Ethero-Magical Discussions) Talk.

Energy in real life cannot be created or destroyed, but living things still need to take in energy from their food in order to survive. The energy will eventually be released from their bodies when they've used it (for animals this is often in the form of heat) or when they die, but the fact that ultimately the same amount will come out as went in doesn't mean it's not doing anything important for them while it's inside. I think it's the same with the dragons and magic.

Other than that I'm reluctant to say too much more, because you've actually hit on a few important story points (well done for picking up on it earlier than most people, including the NPCs!), so a lot of this will be covered as you get further into the story.

But I will say all 3 of your theories are not entirely right, but not entirely wrong either. If you want more details we can explain, or there's various summaries of the story available, but you might want to see what's revealed as you get further in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Energy in real life cannot be created or destroyed, but living things still need to take in energy from their food in order to survive. The energy will eventually be released from their bodies when they've used it (for animals this is often in the form of heat) or when they die, but the fact that ultimately the same amount will come out as went in doesn't mean it's not doing anything important for them while it's inside. I think it's the same with the dragons and magic.

Other than that I'm reluctant to say too much more, because you've actually hit on a few important story points (well done for picking up on it earlier than most people, including the NPCs!), so a lot of this will be covered as you get further into the story.

But I will say all 3 of your theories are not entirely right, but not entirely wrong either. If you want more details we can explain, or there's various summaries of the story available, but you might want to see what's revealed as you get further in.

I'll wait to find out. Thank you for not spoiling anything. 🙂 I was mostly theory-crafting towards what may happen years down the line, when ANet continues past End Of Dragons. Theory's 1 & 2 popped into my head while I was beating the Pact story today, and Theory 3 popped in while I was typing them out.
And I decided to do it kind of like an Asura because I'm silly. 😛 

• Like 2

Consuming to much magic makes you addicted to it. Basically. 

You could think of it like a Dragon hoarding gold. They don't need it to survive. 

It just fuels their addiction. 

When there is no more to consume, they fall asleep.

And I guess it's hard to stop magic from "flowing" away when you are in basically a coma.