Your "Season 1 Remake"

Clockwork Bard.3105

A thought experiment that's been going through my head lately is "what would a Season 1 Remake look like".  We know Season 1 as it was cannot come back.  It fundamentally doesn't work.  And if it did, there's always a segment of the veteran playerbase who would see putting dev time into repackaging it as a waste for something they've already played.  The answer to me seems to be a full remake, in the vein of how something like Final Fantasy 7 Remake completely redefines the story with only the essence of the original remaining.

This theoretical Season 1 Remake would need to introduce the player to Dragon's Watch and hit all the important beats to lead seamlessly into Season 2 and beyond, but wouldn't be beholden to exact canon.  Places and events can change, with any variation being chalked up to something-something-mists, so long as it still "fits" narratively into the story and doesn't feel like a total betrayal of OG Season 1's legacy.  New players are there to get a condensed dose of "wtf is going on" medication, not a total re-experience of the original.  On the flip side, it'd need to fit into the normal Living World Season act structure, while providing all of the crunchy content one would expect from a LWS.  People who have played the original should get more out of it than just nostalgia.  So we're talking things like strikes, CMs, maps, grinds, and maybe a mastery -- basically, things to do and get.

Which is then where the thought experiment begins.  What does that hypothetical season look like?  What are the acts?  Where can you go?  What can you do?  What would you hope to walk away with?

10 minutes ago, Clockwork Bard.3105 said:

A thought experiment that's been going through my head lately is "what would a Season 1 Remake look like".  We know Season 1 as it was cannot come back.  It fundamentally doesn't work.  And if it did, there's always a segment of the veteran playerbase who would see putting dev time into repackaging it as a waste for something they've already played.  The answer to me seems to be a full remake, in the vein of how something like Final Fantasy 7 Remake completely redefines the story with only the essence of the original remaining.

This argument is no longer accurate. It was based upon assumptions made under older technology, but the introduction of DRMs make all content able to return exactly as it was (although with 80 players instead of 150+). This even includes the attack on Lion's Arch; they experimented recently with Twisted Marionette.

The problem right now is the game's populations can't sustain it. They have to find ways to make 80man content viable long-term before we can start doing things like that.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

This argument is no longer accurate. It was based upon assumptions made under older technology, but the introduction of DRMs make all content able to return exactly as it was (although with 80 players instead of 150+). This even includes the attack on Lion's Arch; they experimented recently with Twisted Marionette.

The problem right now is the game's populations can't sustain it.

That sort of plays into my assumption.  I never really bought into the idea that Season 1 couldn't come over for technical reasons.  It's absolutely about presentation and sustainability.  Those big zerg and holiday-style events don't translate well into the modern story mode structure.  Which is where the "Remake" element comes in.  It'd be like a one-on-one story Twisted Marionette fight with NPCs to make it feel larger.  Then a strike version with refined mechanics.  Throw in some CM stuff.  Etc.  It's not because the original version can't be done, but because that's the content that will last and be experienced as intended by more people.  The original can revisit, but it can't last in perpetuity.

Edited by Clockwork Bard.3105
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would make a few specific things events along the repeatable Marionette. Of course, Marionette, another would be that thing that happened in Divinity Reach. 

For the story parts, I just think it would be theme related DRM/DSM-like content. For instance, I do recall some event with Braham clearing out the village in Wayfarer Hills. That could be done easily enough with some new boss encounter. 

41 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I would make a few specific things events along the repeatable Marionette. Of course, Marionette, another would be that thing that happened in Divinity Reach. 

For the story parts, I just think it would be theme related DRM/DSM-like content. For instance, I do recall some event with Braham clearing out the village in Wayfarer Hills. That could be done easily enough with some new boss encounter. 

You mean the one we got back in the scrying pool?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

You mean the one we got back in the scrying pool?

Yeah. IIRC, Anet are looking into making Marrionette a repeatable public event. My LS1 remake would have a few more key events from LS1 as repeatable public events. I think the event from Divinity's Reach is an obvious one, as is the end of Scarlette. 

The more minor story themes would be individual instances that you can team with up to 5 people, like DRMs

Edited by Obtena.7952

3 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Yeah. IIRC, Anet are looking into making Marrionette a repeatable public event. My LS1 remake would have a few more key events from LS1 as repeatable public events. I think the event from Divinity's Reach is an obvious one, as is the end of Scarlette. 

The more minor story themes would be individual instances that you can team with up to 5 people, like DRMs

Did you forget about the 4 5 man instances we already got in the scrying pool not talking about marionette at all.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scrying_Pool_(object)#/media/File:The_Scrying_Pool_panel.jpg

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Honestly ... I didn't even know those things existed. 

Yea it is kinda sad that alot of people seem to have missed them.

Edit

They show quite clearly why brining back season 1 withut reworking it is a bad idea.

Most of it was not very good content.

Edited by Linken.6345