It would be nice to have an in-game method for gifting expansions

I would like to give away expansions to some of my friends and some streamers I enjoy that I see occasionally playing on gw2 but there is no in-game method to do so.
Is there any chance that an in-game method will be added in the future?
Will it maybe be possible to do this when gw2 comes to steam?

• Like 3

I don't know about Steam (never used it), but you can easily gift expansions to your friends/acquaintances. 

Just purchase the expansion outside the game, and when the Serial Key is sent to you, pass it along to your friend/acquaintance.

(Any purchases inside the game will automatically apply the Serial Key to that account.  I'm not sure there are many Account Upgrades that are able to be gifted.)

14 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't know about Steam (never used it), but you can easily gift expansions to your friends/acquaintances. 

Just purchase the expansion outside the game, and when the Serial Key is sent to you, pass it along to your friend/acquaintance.

(Any purchases inside the game will automatically apply the Serial Key to that account.  I'm not sure there are many Account Upgrades that are able to be gifted.)

Yes that is true, but if you buy it for a streamer you dont know and ingame one would say sorry this person already own expansion and it cant be purchased.

15 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes that is true, but if you buy it for a streamer you dont know and ingame one would say sorry this person already own expansion and it cant be purchased.

To be clear, I agree it would be nice to have a way to buy expansions and account upgrades for friends in-game but there are two stinky hurdles.

1.) The game already doesn't tell you when someone already has something (this often leads to awkwardly-returned gifts and a stilted conversation with support where they try to tell you the gift-giver has to litigate and the gift-getter has to delete the unusable gift which can be even more awkward if you accidentally use the unusable/unwanted item in which case support won't be able to help you at all).

2.) The account holder should always be in control of what upgrades are (or aren't) applied to their account. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't want a free character slot, expansion, or inventory/storage upgrade, but it'd be super annoying if you wanted a vanilla account and someone took it upon themselves to load you up with everything ArenaNet has to offer.

Solutions? A full rework of the gift system and a re-evaluation of what items should be giftable between players. Maybe instead of directly buying upgrades for people, it'd not only check to see if they already have it, but it'd send them a redeemable token that they could exchange for the upgrade if they so chose. There are workarounds in the meantime as has been mentioned with the expansion codes, but to do this stuff directly in game would take work that I don't think ArenaNet's interested in right now.

5 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

2.) The account holder should always be in control of what upgrades are (or aren't) applied to their account. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't want a free character slot, expansion, or inventory/storage upgrade, but it'd be super annoying if you wanted a vanilla account and someone took it upon themselves to load you up with everything ArenaNet has to offer.

I realise this almost certainly doesn't apply to the people the OP wants to gift with the expansion, but just to offer one explanation for how that can happen: I've got 3 accounts, one is the full game (HoT + PoF and will have EoD sometime soon), one is the full version of the base game and one is a free account and I'm not intending to upgrade either of those two because I sometimes find it interesting or useful to compare how things work without the expansions. Even if I got a free upgrade somehow it would just make them redundant for me, so I'd try to find someone else to use the code instead.

There's also been people who refused to buy one or more of the expansions because they objected to something about it and didn't want Anet to get money from it. Presumably that would still apply even if it wasn't their money being spent.

• Like 1