9th Birthday Disappointment [Merged]

15 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

First point, this thread is not necessarily reflective of the player community in aggregate.  In addition, most opinions here are repeats without substantive addition to the originally presented subjective ideas on the first half of the first page.  Next, forums are a vocal minority as evidenced by the less than 1% of people that actually had more legendaries than the armory can handle.  Further, the opinions on this thread are not factual, they are the opinions of the countable number of posters in this thread who can only speak for themselves.

Ah, one of the oldest and most useless arguments on gaming forums.

Forum users are a minority, therefore their opinions don't reflect the majority. Of course, they don't not reflect the majority either.

If the forums are so useless and niche, why even contribute? Because this niche elite group of people who don't reflect the majority might sway the designers at ArenaNet unless you point out that we are a derranged, factless, opinion-only, tiny slice of non-representative playerbase?

It's a good thing you're watching out for those poor naive ANet employees and the vast silent majority of gamers who are secretly crying themselves to sleep with tears of happiness over the generosity of this year's birthday gifts.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I just want to point out that you get a ninth birthday gift if your character is 9 years old.  Not if you've played for nine years (or even portions of each of the 9 years). 

You also get these gifts regardless of whether you were around in the appropriate year.

Case in point:  I took a 7 year hiatus and returned in May.  All of my characters got all their intervening birthday gifts.  It's nice that they were remembered, and by no means am I upset about free anything in this game.

The disappointment is valid (reusing a title, really?  Bugged food with 5 candles?), but the "I've been around for 9 years and all I got was this t-shirt" argument is irrelevant because this isn't a celebration of your playing time. 

It's a celebration of Anet releasing a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not that bad, compared to the birthday blaster. Although it shares the same stat boost, the duration is 30 min, which means I do not have to refresh it so often. I can leave it at spawn in WvW, whenever I teleport back and everyone passing by can grab the boost. The only thing they have to fix is that I can't seem to use it while under the Malnourished condition, when another food has run out (bug?). I am not sure if the "does not apply" when you have another food active is a feature or a bug, but it would be a good general improvement for food items not to override higher level food with lower level food.

I got on here just to see if everyone else was disappointed like I was, and I'm pleased to see that I am not the only one. I think 9 years is a long time to reward so little. Doesn't matter if you could have taken a break or not, you're playing 9 years later at this point and I find that the rewards are really lacking compared to previous years. I'd be okay with everything if the birthday cake could now STACK WITH food and utility items. Otherwise it feels pointless, and an item nobody would really ever choose over other food options. Plus I imagine even more food items will be coming with EoD and fishing. So this is just a joke reward imo.

I wanted to add that the game is at a critical point right now, because you want people to come back to play EoD, so why not throw in something that is actually going to get people excited to pick up their characters again?

Edited by BoAKaN.6052
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

Just throwing in another comment of;

Yeah this birthday sucks kitten. I used to look forward to logging on my older alt characters to nab the dyes I wanted. Now - per toon - we get
-2 bday boosters (48h, will use these in wvw for track boost, but I already have over 2.5 stacks of these)
-5 tp to friends (I already have perma + 1.5 stacks of consumable ones)
-5 spirit shards (are you actually kidding me, I have 7k that I don't know what to do with)
-5k karma (more of this nigh on useless currency. I have 18.5 million that - again - I have nothing to use on)
-2 statuettes (Hoarding these for skins I don't have, buying salvage kits or the black lion boosters - probably the most useful part)

So I have nothing to look forward to past the initial achievement, which is also meh. I already have bday blasters on most toons, why give a feast? Cele stats are garbage anyway (for me, at least. Even the basic power/fero would have been nicer). I genuinely can't remember the last time I used the blaster.

Here's hoping that because the birthday vendor has the backpack pack and armor pack available that the weapon and dye packs will soon be available. I'm not keen on being strung along for collections like this over a short period of time - let alone half a decade.

Edit: completely missed the fact that they didn't even bother to change the title so just gave out a raid one. Yeah.....I'm not happy about that. Even if it's not that hard a cm, it's still a raid cm title. I understand that EoD is on the horizon, but this bday just reeks of neglect.

Edit 2: oh it's not just 5 spirit shards, it's 20. Great. I can hoard even more.

Edited by Miss Lana.5276
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Forum users are a minority, therefore their opinions don't reflect the majority. Of course, they don't not reflect the majority either.

If the forums are so useless and niche, why even contribute? Because this niche elite group of people who don't reflect the majority might sway the designers at ArenaNet unless you point out that we are a derranged, factless, opinion-only, tiny slice of non-representative playerbase?

Truth be told game forums are usually the entitled and trolls. Now Anet is really good at keeping trolls away so we're stuck with mostly the entitled. Which is a shame I find trolls more interesting especially when paired with entitled.

This is quite evident from the threads. We have upcoming expansion and beta testing underway and most posts are just "me want something". Me want legendary, me want stuff in expansion, me want birthday present (and dont give me the dedication kitten, there is hardly anything more me me me than asking for a better birthday present in a computer game). The most populated thread about beta is "me want more stuff on beta chars".

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 7

I will admit I was not thrilled with the 9th birthday gift.  But, on the other hand, I had expected the cape to be the 9th anniversary item and we got that for free from the TP today.  Plus I only really like two of the dye colors anyway (the rest are just too washed out looking) so I got 50% of what I wanted there.  And I use a lot of ports to friend and black lion statuettes.  So, overall, I'm moderately pleased with the final results -not thrilling but pretty decent.  Si, i for one am willing to say "thanks, ANet." 

• Like 1

The cake is basically a rehash of y2 reward IE the birthday blaster, you cannot eat it while you have active food which has the additional 5 minutes to wait out as malnourished also blocks eating the cake. But even then the all stat boost is only about 40 to everything and the magic find boost is only 15% which is the same as the yr2 blaster...... Basically any mf food at chef 300 and up tops that and eating any food overrides it immediately. Had this been a stackable side bonus like the guild hall boosters without worrying about food or utilities being a blocking factor to it's use then it could have been a 'passable' gift. But given the majority of gifts from year 3 and forward it's a very disappointing 'gift' to receive.

The dye bottle was overall nice I give it a 6-7/10 however like the former armor and weapon sets from b-day's it will take additional years to finish which means pre-launch and launch month players won't see a complete set til year 14.....

Sadly I have to give this year a hard 3/10 on the point scale for the b-day gifts as it was clearly rushed and ill-thought out. The fact even something like this has apparently suffered so the EOD expansion can be worked on is rather unforgivable 😕

I genuinely hope they go back and improve this year's gifts to make it at least semi-usable, more rewarding and inline with what a 9th year gift should be, as those receiving it on it's virgin cycle IE those of us with characters peaking their 9th year have been around since the game's very beginning and honestly this doesn't make such dedication feel at all appreciated.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Truth be told game forums are usually the entitled and trolls. Now Anet is really good at keeping trolls away so we're stuck with mostly the entitled. Which is a shame I find trolls more interesting especially when paired with entitled.

This is quite evident from the threads. We have upcoming expansion and beta testing underway and most posts are just "me want something". Me want legendary, me want stuff in expansion, me want birthday present (and dont give me the dedication kitten, there is hardly anything more me me me than asking for a better birthday present in a computer game). The most populated thread about beta is "me want more stuff on beta chars".

And the obsessed. People who spreadsheet their games and such.

The "more stuff on beta characters" I saw was mostly about having a wider range of stats to play with for testing, which seems legit to me. I personally goofed around with the beta characters for about 20 minutes before going back to my regular characters. I'm not a spreadsheet, do-the-maths kind of player.

For what it's worth, I personally don't want a birthday present. I may have not been clear in my post, but I'd rather they discontinue them then get 1% of a skin unlock (2 statuettes) and 1 dye across all characters. Maybe if I got better at using food I'd appreciate the birthday cake? I dunno. Bag of spirit shards? Two completed daily completionists (20-40 minutes of effort?) gives more than that.

It's not the lack of something exciting in the birthday present that chafes, it's the weird thoughtlessness of it. Like someone giving you a birhday card that is clearly mismatched with who you are. Or one of my kids offering me a bite of what they're eating, then pinching off the tiniest crumb to give me. YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have to say, 👍 Anet for the cape!  I feel much better about the birthday present... not from a "I got more stuff" perspective, but because this now looks a lot more like shifting away from gifts based on account age to a community-wide celebration than dropping into "automate and abandon" mode.  Nice work!  Go eat that anniversary cake, you deserve it for that great save!  🍻

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Don't pass off a personal opinion as a generalized opinion shared by the community as that would be unnecessarily hyperbolic.  You don't know everyone's opinions so you can't speak to that.

And neither am I doing that is I am never mentioning "all people" or anyone in general.
I am even mentioning "I feel".

I also feel, from the air of your post, that you are trying to, deliberately or not, downplay peoples' opinions in this thread, especially with your pre-amble.
Yes, there are a lot of repeats. Because people in the thread are disappointed and want to express that. Are you expecting there to be a single post about it? I'm not sure what you're after there.
You're replying to my post, which is an opinion about the current state of things. Replying to me is fine, it's a public forum, there's nothing wrong with it. But I wonder what you're trying to accomplish? Are you trying to change my mind and have me be happy with how things are? Because I won't be and I can't be through a reply on a forum thread. I would imagine that this is the case for most of the other people as well, as I'm sure that I can't change your opinion about being happy with your birthday gift. It's based on the contents of the gift of course and how you perceive it, not on what people say in the thread.
You have -a lot- of replies to people too (which I haven't read, and won't comment on further than the amount).

Voicing your opinion as an entry in the thread, counter to other peoples' opinions, is naturally good.
But I'm just not seeing what you're expecting to happen here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

So, you're kinda saying "me want trolls" there?

• Haha 2