9th Birthday Disappointment [Merged]

10 hours ago, SLOTH.5231 said:

Some of you need to realize the only reason this game is still pushing out content is because some of us spend hundreds of dollars a year to help support the game to make it possible for the ones who spend nothing to reap the rewards, so yes I'm pissed about the 9 year present. 

this

I have spent a lot of money on this game because I wanted to support it, but the last couple of years my spending has gone down to well, nothing now.  After seeing the necro expansion class become exactly what a necro isn't and seeing this birthday "gift", it is obvious Anet has lost much of its talent.  The game is becoming some sort of very bland, unimaginative blah fest of boredom.  There is nothing to look forward to except how badly they are going turn the little left that is good into some sort of homogeneous garbage fest so no one is offended.  Anet is essentially on its way out

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Every year I anticipated to getting a good birthday gift from ANet. The first few years were great. The 7th year was fantastic with the rock chair. The 8th year was speechless, an enrichment infusion with impressive effects. Then, for a whole year i waited with high anticipation for the 9th gift... and then what happened? The score dropped from 8/10 to 4/10. What a letdown ;_;

I got my 9th a few days ago and for the first time in 9 years, i will not be opening it knowing what is being thrown inside. Boooo

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:49 PM, Yggranya.5201 said:

I guess they're planning for the future, since giving nothing special is easier than giving something special. Cutting corners and all that.

I don't agree with this. The rewards I'm getting in game for Season of the Dragon for example, which is a current achievement are far greater than rewards I've gotten from previous chapters.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, Josiah.2967 said:

Do you think their is any chance they remove the Birthday cake level 80 restriction? 

Right now I can not use it on my alts...however if someone else puts it down I can click on it on my alts. I have multiple level 80s I just enjoy leveling and would love not having to worry about food.

Please remove the restriction! Thank you!

That would be nice. It requires a 9 year timegate to get so it's strange it's locked to level 80s. I could see 40-60 being the minimum level just since +40 to all stats in low levels could be a bit much, but 80? You can get superior food for less than a silver each. Or free if you show up to a meta since those usually have 1-4 feasts down.

All without dealing with how the buff can be overridden and can't override malnourishment.

---

I've since had 2-3 more characters hit their 9th birthday but couldn't tell you for sure since there's nothing of note to mark the occasion.

TP to friends go in the shared inventory slot. 2 statuettes don't do anything on their own. 5k karma isn't noticeable and LW4 and IBS maps give more if you show up for 10 minutes. Every birthday gives at least one birthday booster. I get 5+ spirit shards a day and those 20 go in the wallet anyway.

I don't expect an amazing item for each character, but even the mini Jennahs are more exciting since those are at least tangible (also I'm collecting them for my own amusement). Even if you already have all the dyes in a birthday dye kit, it's still something you interact with even if just to delete it—2/5 of the 9th birthday items just up and disappear if you click on them with the other 3/5 probably being put in banks.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I don't agree with this. The rewards I'm getting in game for Season of the Dragon for example, which is a current achievement are far greater than rewards I've gotten from previous chapters.

This.

That's the direction that every content should have: a decent number of achievements, decent rewards for the time spent doing them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I actually liked the birthday dyes.  They seem to be better versions of the electro dyes. I hope I can get more of them somehow. I suppose waiting a whole year for my second one would do, though part of me fears that this was the only dye I am ever going to get.  Especially if people keep complaining about the colors.  Yes the birthday dyes are garish, that is precisely why I like them!

• 3 months later...

100% garbage. After 9 plus years sticking with these slow content devs, they can't even give me dye per toon, or wardrobe, or at least Bday Cake per toon like my Bday gun? So now if I want to carry around a little food for plebs or anyone who isn't 9 yrs old, I have buy or use a an existing shared inventory slot. This is beyond a slap to the CS. You would think after 4 plus years of lame content they would be like "I know it's been slow and weak since HoT so here's a little something on your 9th since you have stuck around through these dark times. 

And also after 9 yr think we need a weak, cheap ascended trink that is not just not needed but also requires you to do other suff in order for it to do that think that makes it different (effect). I've already been on the ends of calling it quits, so I know now for fact 100% Where my money is going 2022. Elden Ring, and SWTOR. 
9 year plus preorder beta, and this is the gift given? Worst gift ever. At leat in year 2 our Bday cake was per toon. That's the main think I'm upset about. I want all my toons to have the cake, so I can get rid of the 10 minute gun. Cake actually comes in cery handy, but I'll be damned that I'd pay $10 for a shared slot, and sure as hell not running back to my bank every time I swap toons. 
It really chaps my kitten that we only get the better useless stuff on only one toon. Weak sauce is weak at best. smh

Edited by Amhiel.6195
because a gal can change her mind
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Sounds like a number of people here only play for the birthday present.  I can't imagine being upset about a birthday trinket that's free.  After nine years I have so many skins and dyes that there really isn't much they could give that I would be excited about.  It's just another trinket to me, so I'm not emotionally invested in it.

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Sounds like a number of people here only play for the birthday present.  I can't imagine being upset about a birthday trinket that's free.  After nine years I have so many skins and dyes that there really isn't much they could give that I would be excited about.  It's just another trinket to me, so I'm not emotionally invested in it.

So i supposed after nine years you will not be interested in the new skins and legendary stuff coming in EoD, since only you have so many skins and dyes already? Same logic.

And obviously you have not reached even the 8th year 😄 Nothing is free in the game if you paid for the game and both the expansions.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Mil.3562 said:

So i supposed after nine years you will not be interested in the new skins and legendary stuff coming in EoD, since only you have so many skins and dyes already? Same logic.

Not really. You make it sound like Birthday Presents are equivalent to an expansion. It's a present. Not something you paid or worked for. Take it or leave it. Like the occasional free stuff in the Gem Store.

1 hour ago, Mil.3562 said:

And obviously you have not reached even the 8th year

And how do you know that?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

And obviously you have not reached even the 8th year 😄 Nothing is free in the game if you paid for the game and both the expansions.

Not sure I understand your comment about having not reached my 8th year.  I specifically stated I've had 9 birthdays.  Please explain.  Frankly, it looks like you're calling me a liar.

Also, the birthday presents are free.  When you purchased GW2, the birthday presents were never listed as part of what you were buying.  They are an extra free item, the ANet is under no obligation to provide.

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Like 4

I don't have any beef with any of the rewards you get from the 9th birthday gift, because apparently you get:

I heard that the dye, however, is only obtainable for ONE 9 year old character, annually. If true, I think that's extremely stupid. It should be PER CHARACTER that becomes 9 years old, as it always has been. Yes the dyes are nice, but they shouldn't be limited to once per year. That's really illogical and not cool. After our first 9 year old character, we'd have to wait 5 more years to unlock all the delectable birthday dyes!! And quite frankly, with the way the world's going, I don't think we've even got 5 more years, so... I guess we'll never have them all 😞

Edited by Zaoda.1653
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 3:18 AM, Zaoda.1653 said:

I don't have any beef with any of the rewards you get from the 9th birthday gift, because apparently you get:

I heard that the dye, however, is only obtainable for ONE 9 year old character, annually. If true, I think that's extremely stupid. It should be PER CHARACTER that becomes 9 years old, as it always has been. Yes the dyes are nice, but they shouldn't be limited to once per year. That's really illogical and not cool. After our first 9 year old character, we'd have to wait 5 more years to unlock all the delectable birthday dyes!! And quite frankly, with the way the world's going, I don't think we've even got 5 more years, so... I guess we'll never have them all 😞

Most of the stuff you listed does not come from the birthday gift, but from the one-time achievement you get first time you open a 9th year gift. The gifts themselves are definitely subpar, especially compared to the gifts of all the previous years.

Perhaps Anet just doesn't want you to play more than 8 years?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3