I need help please

I'm on the free account thinking about buying the "complete collection" to get everything at once. My questions are:

1.) How do I play the living story in order or does that not matter?

2.) What American server should I play in? It already has my first character in one but it says I can transfer for Gems. I was always in either Area 52/Stormrage in WoW (most populated) and would like to be in the most populated ones here even if there's a Q but they say full and I can only "guest" in them? Any way around this or alternatives with the servers in the "very high" range?

3.) Does the complete collection ever go on sale?

4.) Did you know that Mesmer's are the best?

Thank you! 

Edited by Marikus.1875

Minor but maybe important note: Free accounts cannot post on the forum, so you must have a paid account of some description, even if you don't have the expansions. It might be worth checking what you've already got before buying anything to make sure you don't waste any money. But if you've only got the base game then it's still worth buying the complete collection.

1) You do not have to play the story in order (or at all) but if you want to then you'll need all the expansions and Living World seasons unlocked. Recently LW episodes have been given away free (there will be another one today) so you may have most/all of them (depending on when you first got the game and how often you've logged in since then). You can see what you're missing by checking the Story Journal in the hero panel (episodes are account-wide so it doesn't matter which character you use to check, they'll all show what you've got unlocked). Episodes can be bought individually from the story journal or you can get each season as a pack in the gem store. Don't buy Season 4 or Season 5/Icebrood Saga though, they're going to be given away free soon so you'll be wasting money if you get them now.

The full order is:

1. Personal Story
  2. Living World season 1 recap
  3. LW Season 2
  4. Heart of Thorns
  5. LW Season 3
  6. Path of Fire
  7. LW Season 4
  8. LW Season 5 (aka Icebrood Saga)
  9. End of Dragons
  10. Unannounced follow-up

2) Your server only matters for World vs World. For everything else maps are shared between all the servers in the region. There will never be a queue for PvE maps however and you won't actually see everyone who is on the map at the same time because the game will automatically create as many copies of the map as it needs for all the people who want to be there. For big meta-events and other things requiring lots of players and coordination it helps to use the Looking For Group Tool (which in this game is for everything, not just dungeons) to find an organised map to join.

If you want a server for WvW you may not actually want to be on the full ones because they're not necessarily the best for you, it depends on what your priorities are and how you like to play. (I play on EU so I can't recommend specific NA servers.)

3) The Complete Collection only launched about a month ago when End of Dragons went up for pre-order, so it hasn't been on sale yet, but the previous pack with HoT and PoF was discounted every so often, so it seems likely they'll do that with the Complete Collection at some point.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1. You'll want to play the Living Story in order if you're a lore person and want to understand the story. The structure goes like this:

• Personal Story
  • Living Story Season 1 (no longer available at all)
  • Living Story Season 2
  • Heart of Thorns
  • Living Story Season 3
  • Path of Fire
  • Living Story Season 4
  • Icebrood Saga (Season 5)
  • End of Dragons

2. Don't worry about Servers. In PvP and PvE, it's a Mega-Server system, so all servers are combined. In WvW, the servers matter, but that's going away soon too for the upcoming "Alliance" system. That said, I recommend Tarnished Coast until then. 😉

3. Define Complete Collection.

4. Elementalists are where it's at.

Edited by Bristingr.5034
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Minor but maybe important note: Free accounts cannot post on the forum, so you must have a paid account of some description, even if you don't have the expansions.

Really? I mean I bought GW2 when it first came out but this was like 7 years ago or so. I doubt that copy is still relevant, right? I don't even see it in my account lol.

Some of you may remember me from the official Screenshot Thread I created and had stickied back in the old forums. But I only played the game for a few months and then quit and haven't played since. 

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/creations/Screenshot-Thread

2 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Really? I mean I bought GW2 when it first came out but this was like 7 years ago or so. I doubt that copy is still relevant, right? I don't even see it in my account lol.

You likely have a Core Account then -- a paid account that has no expansions. This was common before PoF came out/before the game went "Free 2 Play".

Edited by Bristingr.5034
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Hmmm okay, thank you all for all of the help. Very informative! 

Should I be doing anything with this core account or it's just a formality?

You can do everything a paid player can do except access the Expansion Stuff. If you want to access to any Living Stories (3 and onward) you currently own, mounts, gliding, expansion maps, etc., you'll need to buy the expacs.

If not, that's perfectly fine too -- you can still enjoy all the benefits of a paid account (daily log-in rewards, mail service, trading post, etc.).

Edited by Bristingr.5034
Core Accounts can access LW Season 2 without expacs.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Some of you may remember me from the official Screenshot Thread I created and had stickied back in the old forums. But I only played the game for a few months and then quit and haven't played since. 

If you can still find the account info for your core account you might be able to use it. If you buy pof it will come with core+hot+pof (no lw) and it goes on sale a few times a year for half price $15 us. Also if you want to move servers you could also make another f2p account and pick the server you want free, then upgrade it to the full version which used to give you a free transfer (one). I would think it still does if you upgrade a f2p to purchased.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

If you can still find the account info for your core account you might be able to use it. If you buy pof it will come with core+hot+pof (no lw) and it goes on sale a few times a year for half price $15 us. Also if you want to move servers you could also make another f2p account and pick the server you want free, then upgrade it to the full version which used to give you a free transfer (one). I would think it still does if you upgrade a f2p to purchased.

There is no need to find anything. If they can log in to the forum then they can use the same credentials to log into the game.

1 hour ago, yoni.7015 said:

It’s a megaserver system. Individual server matters only in WvW. 

Even for WvW it won't matter that much in the near future. Alliance beta is on Sept. 24, 2021.

Transfers will still be a thing with Alliances but you can also just wait(up to 8 weeks).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Khisanth.2948 said:

There is no need to find anything. If they can log in to the forum then they can use the same credentials to log into the game.

Even for WvW it won't matter that much in the near future. Alliance beta is on Sept. 24, 2021.

Transfers will still be a thing with Alliances but you can also just wait(up to 8 weeks).

Yea good point. I guess I just assumed he may not be on that same one right now cause he said he is on a free account now and it sounded like he once had a purchased core account, but I may have misunderstood.

I had to recover this account from years back but this is indeed the account I used in 2013. I just called it a free account because I assumed that's what we were all converted to who did not buy any of the expansions since I haven't played since 2013. Unfortunately I was dumb and the moment I logged on I deleted my old original character I made in 2013 thinking I wanted a "fresh start". 

17 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

I had to recover this account from years back but this is indeed the account I used in 2013. I just called it a free account because I assumed that's what we were all converted to who did not buy any of the expansions since I haven't played since 2013. Unfortunately I was dumb and the moment I logged on I deleted my old original character I made in 2013 thinking I wanted a "fresh start". 

A Core Account is definitely worth more than a F2P as you don't have the restrictions a F2P account has. Something to keep in mind if you're one for reaping the Log-In Rewards, etc. As such, you could realistically create a new account (F2P), upgrade that one with the expacs, and then you can use both accounts to acquire the log-in rewards, etc.

All depends on how you want to play the game.

Edited by Bristingr.5034

49 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

You might be able to get support to restore that. Character restoration IS a thing but I don't not what the conditions are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

You might be able to get support to restore that. Character restoration IS a thing but I don't not what the conditions are.

Yeah, I'd definitely send in a support ticket asking if they'd restore the character.  May take a few days, but, it's worth a shot.  The worst they can say is, "No."

Also, as a heads up, Living World Season 4 and Icebrood Saga is getting released again starting August 24 (8-24 to 9-28 for LWS4, 10-19 to 11-30 for IBS).  All you have to do is login during the week(s) each episode is the highlight episode and you will unlock it on your account (even if you don't have PoF, you unlock it but you have to have PoF to play it).  Unfortunately, you've missed the LWS2 and 3 highlight weeks, so you'll have to buy them in the gem store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Character restorations are no longer a service that we provide. We urge players to be careful when making the decision to delete a character.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010181213-Restoring-a-Deleted-Character

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Character restorations are no longer a service that we provide. We urge players to be careful when making the decision to delete a character.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010181213-Restoring-a-Deleted-Character

O_o when the heck did they change that? Would have been nice to have some sort of notification somewhere about it. Same for the other times when they made changes to it as well.