What's up with loading screens anyway?

I would very much appreciate if anyone knowledgable about the subject responded to this thread with some sort of explanation. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, but it sure seems like the loading screens are not doing their job.

Often times, when my PC is busy and I also happen to be playing Guild Wars 2 at the same time, I get these somewhat long loading screens. That by itself is perfectly fine and expected, but that's not the problem. After the loading screen, many of the assets are clearly still not loaded. I can't see enemy models, red circles of death and objects. Sometimes I can even see through the walls like Superman, and in worst case scenario I can see through the floors.

There are even weirder cases. Let's take Tequatl as an example. If I arrive at the map 10 minutes early, it should be plenty of time for everything to load. But then Tequatl appears and the battle begins, and the red circles are nowhere to be seen. I sure take damage, but they just refuse to appear for the first 30-60 seconds of the fight.

These things happen usually when my PC is busy, but not always. Sometimes I just go from one map to another, there's a 5 second loading screen and stuff still isn't loaded. It's not just me, by the way. However the loading screens work, they don't seem to be doing their job. It almost seems like they appear on the screen for a random amount of time.

I think it would be less frustrating for everyone if the loading times took the time they need to actually load the assets. I hope this gets "fixed" if there's a way to fix it, if not I might just have to switch to SSD.

• Like 2

It happens with my new hard drive too actually. M2 or NVME or something. Supposed to be a little faster than SSD as it utilizes the PCI express connection instead of SATA. Not sure if my video card or memory is the issue as I just upgraded my processor with very little gain. I'm at a loss as my daughter's rig is running several generations behind mine and loads super fast. I have DDR4, she has DDR3. I have a gen 8 i5 and she has a quad core AMD pre ryzen processor. My video card is old but her's is integrated with the processor. Is there a simple fix I am missing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

It happens with my new hard drive too actually. M2 or NVME or something. Supposed to be a little faster than SSD as it utilizes the PCI express connection instead of SATA. Not sure if my video card or memory is the issue as I just upgraded my processor with very little gain. I'm at a loss as my daughter's rig is running several generations behind mine and loads super fast. I have DDR4, she has DDR3. I have a gen 8 i5 and she has a quad core AMD pre ryzen processor. My video card is old but her's is integrated with the processor. Is there a simple fix I am missing?

Lower graphics settings result in faster load times as the models, textures and shaders are all much less complex. On top of this, IGPs usually use system RAM which means no uploading to the graphics card, significantly boosting loading times (but worsening performance).

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Super Hayes.6890 You also might want to see if there's update for bios and/or the M.2 drivers. With my old motherboard I had to update both to get the M.2 working properly. With my current newer motherboard the same M.2 drive worked without issues from the get-go.

As for the OP, the issue could be low end system running too many things at the same time. I have not experienced such issues with loading screens. I always try to run as few other tasks as possible while gaming. And yes, imo upgrading to SSD is definitely worth it, especially for the drive running the operating system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 You also might want to see if there's update for bios and/or the M.2 drivers. With my old motherboard I had to update both to get the M.2 working properly. With my current newer motherboard the same M.2 drive worked without issues from the get-go.

As for the OP, the issue could be low end system running too many things at the same time. I have not experienced such issues with loading screens. I always try to run as few other tasks as possible while gaming. And yes, imo upgrading to SSD is definitely worth it, especially for the drive running the operating system.

I have, and i dont have a cheap system either. My system needs modernizing yes(mainly new graphics card), but it blows gw2s higher end requirements out of the water and i have a SSD to boot.

The orange circles op mentions at tequatl are a big issue and they plague quite alot of folks in game honestly, been that way since the new tequatl was added though, Its sure not loading other assests cause i get there two hours early to set tequatl up.

Its really weird though that this stuff(loading assests/loading screens) has only started happening. Its new and hasnt happened in the last 8 years of playing(of which at least 4 was on a computer that only met the minimum.), its not really a big deal either but it is jarring to see.

• Like 1

@Dante.1763 As I said I have no issues with long loading screen times. Don't have problems with loading the environments either, everything is pretty much loaded when the screen disappears.

If the Tequatl circle thing hasn't happened before then the August 17th combo field visual effect update might have something to do with it. It's been a while since I've done it, could test to see if I have the issue too.

Edited by Jukhy.2431

3 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

@Dante.1763 As I said I have no issues with long loading screen times. Don't have problems with loading the environments either, everything is pretty much loaded when the screen disappears.

If the Tequatl circle thing hasn't happened before then the August 17th combo field visual effect update might have something to do with it. It's been a while since I've done it, could test to see if I have the issue too.

Oh, the tequatl circle is a seperate, longer standing(as in, i dont remember it ever not happening)issue. I do it nightly, always have invisible damage fields where the orange circle shows up after damage has started ticking.

The loading screen/maps is newish for me, its never happened before.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for you input, everyone. The Tequatl thing is by far the most confusing thing. I'm also not sure why the loading "priorities" are the way they are. I would assume that they load in order, but I'm not so sure anymore. And if they are, why like this? I would think that loading would start with the most crucial stuff first, so CIRCLES -> OBSTACLES -> GROUND -> ENEMY MODEL -> OTHER PLAYERS -> EVERYTHING ELSE but it's completely the other way around.

5 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

As for the OP, the issue could be low end system running too many things at the same time. I have not experienced such issues with loading screens. I always try to run as few other tasks as possible while gaming.

Running multiple things at the same time does make the issue worse, but regardless it's strange to sit in a loading screen for 5 minutes and then appear on a mostly empty map. The order is also weird to me, or do all elements load simultaneously and some things just happen to load faster?

i5, GTX640, 12GB ram

I run the game on lowest settings and get 60-150fps.

Edited by Yoroiookami.3485