Varietal herbs question

I'll be done with Gourmet training in a few days, but i'm wondering, what's the deal with varietal herbs?

Wiki says they're one time use?

Where do i get more?

And do i have to craft exquisite extracts into a pouch of them every day i want to harvest them? That seems a bit annoying, can i get the permanent ones?

1. Yes, the seed pouches are one time use

2. You can craft more pouches.  WIki has guides, but in general, you need enriched compost and the particular varietal seed.  You can either buy varietal seeds or harvest them from herb patches.

3. Yes, you will have to craft the pouch each time and plant each day to get more.  There are no permanent ones.  This is presumably to keep some value to ascended crafting and ensure that it acts as an ongoing sink for lower tier cooking materials. 

One tip - when gathering the varietal herbs from the BL garden plot, be sure to use a sickle with a glyph of bounty.  Instead of just one item you get a chance to get up to four.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, thehipone.6812 said:

1. Yes, the seed pouches are one time use

2. You can craft more pouches.  WIki has guides, but in general, you need enriched compost and the particular varietal seed.  You can either buy varietal seeds or harvest them from herb patches.

3. Yes, you will have to craft the pouch each time and plant each day to get more.  There are no permanent ones.  This is presumably to keep some value to ascended crafting and ensure that it acts as an ongoing sink for lower tier cooking materials. 

One tip - when gathering the varietal herbs from the BL garden plot, be sure to use a sickle with a glyph of bounty.  Instead of just one item you get a chance to get up to four.

1. Bummer, but thanks for confirming.

2. Where do i buy them? And can i harvest them from any node on any character or do they need to be harvested by the Chef?

3. Again, bummer, but i get it i guess...

Thanks for the tip! I'll buy those from karma merchants, i don't have the glyph otherwise.

Also, any tips on the cheapest way to craft enriched compost? i have the portable composter, but idk what foods to salvage for the extracts...

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

1. Bummer, but thanks for confirming.

2. Where do i buy them? And can i harvest them from any node on any character or do they need to be harvested by the Chef?

3. Again, bummer, but i get it i guess...

Thanks for the tip! I'll buy those from karma merchants, i don't have the glyph otherwise.

Also, any tips on the cheapest way to craft enriched compost? i have the portable composter, but idk what foods to salvage for the extracts...

The herbs in different zones drop different types of seeds.  Anything that drops the basic herb will drop varietal herb seeds.  So for example, herbs in shiverpeaks that drop black peppercorns will give varietal peppercorn seeds.  Herbs in ascalon and lake doric that can give a mint leaf give varietal mint seeds.  etc.  Any character can harvest them.

Wiki has a list on each type of extract showing the cheapest items to buy. Example:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exotic_Extract_of_Nourishment

the rest are linked at the bottom of the page.  Broadly speaking, the halloween foods tend to be cheaper options, especially during the event.  Aside from those, some (usually) cheap options:

Fine - you can always buy Bowl of Apple Sauce for 16 copper from the event in queensdale.

Masterwork - loaf of rosemary bread usually gets dumped by people leveling up crafting

Rare - Raspberry Peach Compote is almost always one of the cheapest options to either buy or craft yourself

Exotic - Bowl of Elon Red is again usually nearly the cheapest option to buy and is also a cheap crafting recipe

Edited by thehipone.6812
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Thank you! It seems kind of a roundabout way, but if my main who doesn't have cooking can harvest the varietal seeds, then it's no problem. 🙂

Once you have done the associated part of the collection the abilities are basically account wide unlocks. Same goes for the meat drops. One of the reason why even people who will never do any cooking should still complete those sections of the collection.

Also for harvesting the ascended plants in your home instance in addition to glyph of bouty, the item/gathering booster will also help.

For the extracts of nourishment  festival food can be a good source or at least they are good to stock up on during festivals. Halloween is coming up ...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Once you have done the associated part of the collection the abilities are basically account wide unlocks. Same goes for the meat drops. One of the reason why even people who will never do any cooking should still complete those sections of the collection.

Also for harvesting the ascended plants in your home instance in addition to glyph of bouty, the item/gathering booster will also help.

For the extracts of nourishment  festival food can be a good source or at least they are good to stock up on during festivals. Halloween is coming up ...

I'm not done with the entire collection yet since it's time gated, but i just need to get 2 more heat stones (and i freaking refuse to pay 15 gold for one lol - so i craft them myself - i'm not in a hurry). But every other collection part is done, i got the plot deed, and i planted my first seeds. So i guess, now that part is account wide now, didn't check by harvesting plants on my other character yet.

And yeah, this'll give me a nice use for my gathering boosters and the guild boost!

Halloween is soon too, so i'll be sure to salvage all the food i get from it. I remember last time i did Halloween i got so much food i ended up discarding most of it. How little i knew then lol. 🤣

Come to think of it, i still have some food leftover from the Dragon Bash festival, i might as well salvage it since i'm never going to use it probably. I'll leave the magic find food and gut the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I'm not done with the entire collection yet since it's time gated, but i just need to get 2 more heat stones (and i freaking refuse to pay 15 gold for one lol - so i craft them myself - i'm not in a hurry).

That is one of the most expensive parts but also least useful. It just changes the look of the stove in your home instance and Chef exp...

• Like 1

Once you get to 500, you can bypass the timegate by buying the cultivated seeds directly off the TP.. Though this method is more expensive, you won't have to bother with extracts, pouches, gathering seeds, or even the garden.

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-91802

Honestly I have no idea what method they're using to get the extracts.

It costs 26s to craft/grow and 33s to buy a cultivated peppercorn directly although I have no idea what method they're using.

You're really only saving 7s by growing them directly.  Though with a glyph of bounty  I guess it'd be it'd be 18s (33% chance of picking up an additional 33s seed per harvest)

Glyphs of bounty used to be really expensive (like 500g) but are now ~135g.  135/0.18= break even after 750 feasts.

Crafting the pouches does help you reach 500 more easily though, so it's not a bad idea for your first set of food.

Even if you decide to grow them, I would not waste my time trying to gather the varietal seeds. Once upon a time, when ascended food came out a peppercorn seed was like 30s on its own so I was planting characters by those nodes. Now that they're so much cheaper and RNG, it's really not worth the hassle.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Once you get to 500, you can bypass the timegate by buying the cultivated seeds directly off the TP.. Though this method is more expensive, you won't have to bother with extracts, pouches, gathering seeds, or even the garden.

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-91802

Honestly I have no idea what method they're using to get the extracts.

It costs 26s to craft/grow and 33s to buy a cultivated peppercorn directly although I have no idea what method they're using.

You're really only saving 7s by growing them directly.  Though with a glyph of bounty  I guess it'd be it'd be 18s (33% chance of picking up an additional 33s seed per harvest)

Glyphs of bounty used to be really expensive (like 500g) but are now ~135g.  135/0.18= break even after 750 feasts.

Crafting the pouches does help you reach 500 more easily though, so it's not a bad idea for your first set of food.

Even if you decide to grow them, I would not waste my time trying to gather the varietal seeds. Once upon a time, when ascended food came out a peppercorn seed was like 30s on its own so I was planting characters by those nodes. Now that they're so much cheaper and RNG, it's really not worth the hassle.

Well when you put it that way. Since i probably won't be using ascended food too much - i plan on only using it when my friend and i play our "new" characters - which is very rarely - then for those times, it'll be ok to buy cultivated herbs on the TP. Still... If i get varietal herbs here and there when gathering, i might go plant some of them.

I don't have infinite gathering tools though, so don't know if glyphs work with the standard ones, but i think not. Anyway... Thanks for explaining, the price difference is really not that bad.

9 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Well when you put it that way. Since i probably won't be using ascended food too much - i plan on only using it when my friend and i play our "new" characters - which is very rarely - then for those times, it'll be ok to buy cultivated herbs on the TP. Still... If i get varietal herbs here and there when gathering, i might go plant some of them.

I don't have infinite gathering tools though, so don't know if glyphs work with the standard ones, but i think not. Anyway... Thanks for explaining, the price difference is really not that bad.

Well, it's sorta like most of the heavily saturated stuff in this market. It's only going to be worth it if you're out to make a profit (as opposed to just saving gold) and will need to invest in the proper tools (and maybe garden plot). But if you're just making ascended food sometimes then probably not.

Even when ascended food came out, the window to profit off it was really tiny.

You can put glpyhs in any tool. They can be removed at any time and will be returned to your inventory if the tool gets depleted.

There are also karma versions of the glyph tools, but they are extremely expensive: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Harvesting_Sickle_of_Bounty

This would only be used if you don't value karma at all. I personally think all methods to make gold from karma are too tedious and have way too much. So I put stuff like that on characters that don't have infinite tools, as I'm too lazy to swap them around anymore. I took the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Industrious_Harvesting_Sickle

and such to not slow me down.

OTOH, it seems a lot of the glpyhs seem a lot cheaper now. Bounty was many times more expensive than it is now and for all the reasons above I was really questioning people pushing it lol. However, they dropped in price for a reason-- gathering isn't really that great anymore unless you spend the time farming specific gathering locations (parking toons probably). In the past I would have always recommended infinite gathering tools, but these days you might be better off just running past most of the nodes anyways...

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3

If you want to farm nodes you should pay attention to people that have it down to a science.

https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/solo-farming

Use molten alliance sickle or consortium harvesting sickle with glyph of volatility.

Peu actually lists Sandswept as higher profit than Bjora/Siren's Landing/Lake Doric
https://www.peuresearchcenter.com/benchmarks.php

You'll note Bjora Marches is the preferred source for verdant herbs, Lake Doric is stated to be roughly 70% of the profit.

The specific page on peu's site is https://www.peuresearchcenter.com/gathering/bjora-node-farm.html

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Well, it's sorta like most of the heavily saturated stuff in this market. It's only going to be worth it if you're out to make a profit (as opposed to just saving gold) and will need to invest in the proper tools (and maybe garden plot). But if you're just making ascended food sometimes then probably not.

Even when ascended food came out, the window to profit off it was really tiny.

You can put glpyhs in any tool. They can be removed at any time and will be returned to your inventory if the tool gets depleted.

There are also karma versions of the glyph tools, but they are extremely expensive: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Harvesting_Sickle_of_Bounty

This would only be used if you don't value karma at all. I personally think all methods to make gold from karma are too tedious and have way too much. So I put stuff like that on characters that don't have infinite tools, as I'm too lazy to swap them around anymore. I took the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Industrious_Harvesting_Sickle

and such to not slow me down.

OTOH, it seems a lot of the glpyhs seem a lot cheaper now. Bounty was many times more expensive than it is now and for all the reasons above I was really questioning people pushing it lol. However, they dropped in price for a reason-- gathering isn't really that great anymore unless you spend the time farming specific gathering locations (parking toons probably). In the past I would have always recommended infinite gathering tools, but these days you might be better off just running past most of the nodes anyways...

Glyph of Bounty is a lot cheaper right now because it is currently in the drop table from the black lion chest. Current number on sale on the TP more than double compared to before the chest content changed.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 5:16 AM, Veprovina.4876 said:

I'll be done with Gourmet training in a few days, but i'm wondering, what's the deal with varietal herbs?

Wiki says they're one time use?

Where do i get more?

And do i have to craft exquisite extracts into a pouch of them every day i want to harvest them? That seems a bit annoying, can i get the permanent ones?

You can use https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator so help find the cheapest source for making compost (cheapest food to salvage) and the non-varietal seeds auto replant but the free+auto-planting seeds dont unlock unless you buy 1+ plots off the gemshop. I waited till plots went on sale and got 2 more. I plant Varietal when its pracitcal and I have a need otherwise I just keep it simple and use the auto-seeds which can be shared w friends.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Garden_plot